Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Should I read Crisis on Infinite Earths?

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

I know it's a huge and extremely important event, but the reviews aren't all that good. I really love DC and I want to read about important events in its continuity, so should I read COIE? Is it really that bad?

gator4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll be honest with you, I tried reading it and couldn't finish it. I found it a bit boring and slow to be honest but that is my opinion.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I read and enjoyed it. In awe of Wolfram and Perez for all their attention to so many characters. I think you should try it.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say try it.

The story involved a lot of characters, but it was honestly pretty straight forward. The main antagonist had a simple and clear goal, and it celebrated the diversity of the multiverse. It was told in a different era, so it flows differently than today's stories. Perez and Wolfman are good artists/writers so there are some good character moments and developments.

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tec79

Yes please read it. The creators of event books today could probably learn some lessons from that story.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

AT first I was like...WHAT?! ARE YOU INSANE, OF COURSE YOU SHOULD READ IT.

But I am biased to a degree in this, because the cover to CRISIS number 6 was one of my first comics I ever bought as a kid. And back then my only real exposure to DC was UnderRoos and Super Friends, But here you had these intense face of the Anti Monitor glaring at you, and more super heroes then I ever knew existed inside.

So to me this was a amazing event for me, the discovery of the DCU, The fates of Barry Allen and Supergirl and others was just jaw dropping to me back then, as I have never seen heroes die in comics before.

All that being said, would a story like this hold any weight with a younger reader who has seen all this stuff happen multiple times over? Honestly probably not.

But I was lucky enough to say I was around to read some classic material the first time it came out and was able to see history being made.

I will say it is worth picking up so you have a frame of reference, just as you would recommend certain movies as must see's

For these reasons:

1) This is the holy grail of "EPIC EVENTS" this and Secret Wars have been the measuring stick for years, and all have failed to reach this level

2) George Perez in his prime! he drew every character in the DCU in this story, some were just background guys, others more so, but his double page spreads of characters gathering were amazing, there was no wasted space on his pages. Yo would spend hours just trying to identify all the characters he crammed into his panels

3) The Death of Barry Allen was huge at the time. And it was a cornerstone of DCU for quite sometime, Barry was dead and was not coming back was just understood and here is where you see it happen.

4) My love for the Justice Society of America was born. Earth 2,Earth 1, and all other Earths were a mind blowing concept to me back then. Why were there 2 Supermen, 2 Green Lanterns, 2 Atoms, 2 Hawmen. Why did the look different and older? Batman had a daughter? The Multiverse of DC provided a entirely different area to explore new characters

5) It actually served a purpose and gave birth to the concept of a reboot. Pretty much hitting the reset button in comics was born with the end of crisis.

Again I am biased as it truly was a epic event that changed everything. The characters and my love for comics. So I say with a bit of nostalgia and fond memories to give it a go. But fully realizing times have changed and it may not resonate with others like it did with me

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don`t fully understand the meanings of the terms "pre-crisis" and "post-crisis" and you want to, then reading the original Crisis is an important step toward enlightenment. At least that`s how it was for me. Due to my reading of this classic series my understanding and appreciation of DC`s rich history gained its strongest foothold.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Now we are in the "NEW" 52 universe, is pre and post crisis all that important really? Unless you are trying to perhaps understand why someone like Superman got re-booted.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

It's one of the best events ever.My second favorite DC event.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

If you really love DC you owe it to yourself to read it.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I love the concept of a multiverse in comics so when I heard about crisis on infinite earths I went and read the first 2 issues. They were interesting but the story was a little to slow the first issue took alot of setting up but I could see why. I stopped reading after the first two.

ViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is the first comic I've ever read as a child that I actually finished.Heroes and villains that I've never seen before fought against each other and then worked together. The Multiverse existed and changed with the Monitor and the Anti-Monitor warring against each other. I remember how I researched a large number of those characters, including finding out who Psimon was. My head spun around and to this day, I still admire the effort they put into it, especially back then. Now, as I look back, I can see that it is old history but it was great history. It was the first of the Crisis events, which would later expand into DC's trademark, creating universal threats.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

An epic tale of heroism across infinite worlds, plus fantastic art... of course you should, it's a timeless (ok, maybe a little dated) DC classic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.