Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Shazam movie thoughts

• 52 results
    Lazysam9599

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lazysam9599

Putting this out there now, Shazam/Captain Marvel is my favorite superhero of all time. That being said, when I heard that a Shazam movie was announced I lost my shit more than I did for the Avengers 2 announcement. So I was wondering what were your thoughts on this, was it a good move to give a obscure character like Shazam his own movie?

Hellion_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shazam is also one of my favs. If done right the movie could be greatly successful because of the dream come true aspect of billy getting his powers. It could be fun and have a lighter tone compared to mos but still take itself serious.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very excited to see him on the big screen.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I hope they can do it right. Regardless of whom the Rock is playing I'm glad he's tagged with the movie because I don't know how the general mainstream audience would react when they hear about a superhero like Captain Marvel. Especially with the whole "kid transforming into adult" bit, it'd be kind of weird to someone who's never seen the character. Hopefully the Rock can bring a bit of audience who isn't a hardcore fan to broaden the horizon with the character.

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the rock should be aquaman. Shazam should be the little kid who plays the diary of a wimpy kid boy. Man fourm should also be bigger looking him.

webdude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Dwayne Jonson is black adam. I think he will choose it because he is trying to drop "The Rock" title because it is the name of family friendly, or something like that. People want him to play Shazam, and him being one of my all time favorite heroes, I don't want that, he can do the child in a mans body thing bt he just does not have the look. Plus if he WAS Shazam, any body they got to play Black Adam would look weak in return. If he can pull off the look I got in my head for him, he could be a totally kick butt villain. Some people want him to play both, but that would be real cheesy, and if they want to add it to the new, darker movie universe, they really should not put him in as the role of Captain Marvel.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
    TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not excited for a Shazam movie at all, sorry.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is a bad bad idea, Captain Marvel does not translate into live action. Not to mention that Dwayne Johnson may be playing a character, which is a terrible terrible sign.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
    TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a bad bad idea, Captain Marvel does not translate into live action. Not to mention that Dwayne Johnson may be playing a character, which is a terrible terrible sign.

Ditto to that, good man. You voiced my opinion right there.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juke said:

I hope they can do it right. Regardless of whom the Rock is playing I'm glad he's tagged with the movie because I don't know how the general mainstream audience would react when they hear about a superhero like Captain Marvel. Especially with the whole "kid transforming into adult" bit, it'd be kind of weird to someone who's never seen the character. Hopefully the Rock can bring a bit of audience who isn't a hardcore fan to broaden the horizon with the character.

Using the Rock to broaden something isn't exactly good, because he has no acting skill. If anything that could lead to the same situation with Green Lantern or the Hulk, a great character getting a bad rep from a bad movie.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever said:

Ditto to that, good man. You voiced my opinion right there.

Finally, someone else who gets it :)

webdude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever If Dwayne Johnson gets the role of black adam, then I would be real happy. He says he really loves Black Adam so if he truly works himself on this role, he could do very good. Plus I cant imagine him talking very much, just punching so I could see it working.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webdude1 said:

@captainmarvel4ever If Dwayne Johnson gets the role of black adam, then I would be real happy. He says he really loves Black Adam so if he truly works himself on this role, he could do very good. Plus I cant imagine him talking very much, just punching so I could see it working.

I can't see that working well, while Mr. Johnson is good at wrestling (at least I think he is, he does have a lot of fans) he is not an actor. Black Adam is a complex villain, born into slavery and received the power of the gods. For a villain like that you need some good acting chops. I will admit that it would be better then him playing Captain Marvel.

Darktimecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel is one of my favorite superheroes and I'm super excited to see him in a film adaptation. However, I am scared that they will stay closer to the post-new 52 version (being called shazam, Billy being a cynical little snot, CM's powers not deriding from Greek figures), which would be a terrible idea. The closer they stick to the original the better.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel is one of my favorite superheroes and I'm super excited to see him in a film adaptation. However, I am scared that they will stay closer to the post-new 52 version (being called shazam, Billy being a cynical little snot, CM's powers not deriding from Greek figures), which would be a terrible idea. The closer they stick to the original the better.

I also hope for that, but I think the entire reason New 52 Billy was created was because WB told DC to make the character more gritty and easier to adapt onto film.

Either way I have a feeling this will end up being like the Last Airbender, a kid with god like powers being adapted into a movie, and then sucking :(

webdude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever I have that fear to, them trying to make him to much like the new 52. That comic is one of the reasons I don't like Geoff Johns, but if they can make it more heartfelt and have some real happy parts, I think it could be great. Not too gritty, not too light, but have it like The Power of Hope story with some great action and real intense moments, It would be my favorite superhero movie ever.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webdude1 said:

@captainmarvel4ever I have that fear to, them trying to make him to much like the new 52. That comic is one of the reasons I don't like Geoff Johns, but if they can make it more heartfelt and have some real happy parts, I think it could be great. Not too gritty, not too light, but have it like The Power of Hope story with some great action and real intense moments, It would be my favorite superhero movie ever.

I like Geoff Johns, other then what he's done with Captain Marvel I love everything he writes, and I even have to admit that some of what he did with the mythos and character was pretty good. However he has shown with the Metal Men that he can write a classic style Captain Marvel, while establishing a good mythos, which really bums me out. A movie based on the Power of Hope would be excellent, especially if they could make some alterations to have it take place in the 40's (when Cap was most popular) and get a great actor like Jon Hamm to play Captain Marvel.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

This is a bad bad idea, Captain Marvel does not translate into live action.

Well history would prove you wrong since Captain Marvel already has a movie, from 1941.

@webdude1 said:

I can't see that working well, while Mr. Johnson is good at wrestling (at least I think he is, he does have a lot of fans) he is not an actor. Black Adam is a complex villain, born into slavery and received the power of the gods. For a villain like that you need some good acting chops. I will admit that it would be better then him playing Captain Marvel.

Depends on how much they go into that aspect of his character, which could be handled by the non-powered Teth played by someone else.

Powered Adam however... I have to agree with Webdude1, Adam normally comes across as someone that just hangs in the air with his arms crossed and delivers ultimatums while staring at the one he is addressing.

Plus it has to be said the movie isn't going to end up being the rise and fall of Adam from 52.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a bad bad idea, Captain Marvel does not translate into live action.

Well history would prove you wrong since Captain Marvel already has a movie, from 1941.

@webdude1 said:

Depends on how much they go into that aspect of his character, which could be handled by the non-powered Teth played by someone else.

Powered Adam however... I have to agree with Webdude1, Adam normally comes across as someone that just hangs in the air with his arms crossed and delivers ultimatums while staring at the one he is addressing.

Plus it has to be said the movie isn't going to end up being the rise and fall of Adam from 52.

Yes 1941... a very very very different time

Maybe in the comics that's what we see, but in a film a lot of close ups to the face and how lines are delivered have to convey the emotional weight of the character, who is a broken man behind the mask of a god.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By timelord

@lazysam9599: The fact that DC are putting The Rock in it means they want it to do gang busters. Can not wait for it I just wonder if its before or after Justice League.

webdude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85@captainmarvel4ever Unfortunately he is going to be in it either way, he just hasn't decided between Shazam or Black Adam. Im rooting for Black Adam just because he would do horrible as Captain Marvel. If they choose a Billy Batson and a Captain Marvel they really should choose a Adam Teth and a Black Adam , like outside_85 said. If Dwayne doesn't say a lot and tries for a deep, scary voice only saying "Shazam!" or other menacing things he could be good. People keep saying he HAS to be Shazam, he is to big a star not to be, he could just have his own Black Adam movie, I wouldn't care, as long as they don't screw this movie up!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Outside_85

Maybe in the comics that's what we see, but in a film a lot of close ups to the face and how lines are delivered have to convey the emotional weight of the character, who is a broken man behind the mask of a god.

Not that different, the appeal of Captain Marvel is the same now as it was back then: little kid becomes an adult with a single word and changes back again.

Which the fewest actors are capable of, plus we have no idea what Adam's backstory actually is. We could (after all) risk him being another kid that's been empowered by more malevolent entities.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not that different, the appeal of Captain Marvel is the same now as it was back then: little kid becomes an adult with a single word and changes back again.

Which the fewest actors are capable of, plus we have no idea what Adam's backstory actually is. We could (after all) risk him being another kid that's been empowered by more malevolent entities.

Yes but what do people hate most in movies? child actors. 1941 was a different time, and people could accept it, but not today.

Actors are capable of pulling that off, that's why they are actors, and why the Rock is not.

webdude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darktimecop:

If they base it off The Power of Hope, the character not the entire movie, then im all for it, I wouldn't mind a bit of a mix of new 52 and TPoH that would be cool but stay close to the original and don't go for a orphaned rude boy, its Captain Marvel, not Batman.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes but what do people hate most in movies? child actors. 1941 was a different time, and people could accept it, but not today.

Actors are capable of pulling that off, that's why they are actors, and why the Rock is not.

People can handle talking raccoons and trees, people adored the Harry Potter movies and the Narnia series did well enough as well. Plus you are talking about Captain Marvel removing the child aspect of it and you might as well do a Superman movie.

I've seen a whole heap of actors, and none of them have pulled that one off yet. Besides, what Adam is feeling on the inside is not something he is going to transmit to potential enemies, it's something he saves for the time when he is alone.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People can handle talking raccoons and trees, people adored the Harry Potter movies and the Narnia series did well enough as well. Plus you are talking about Captain Marvel removing the child aspect of it and you might as well do a Superman movie.

I've seen a whole heap of actors, and none of them have pulled that one off yet. Besides, what Adam is feeling on the inside is not something he is going to transmit to potential enemies, it's something he saves for the time when he is alone.

That works because Guardians is in the same vain as Star wars and Star Trek, franchises that translate well onto the big screen. I wouldn't want to remove the child aspect, that's what makes him special, but it's what also makes a movie impossible to do (well). There are plenty of actors who could pull that off, that's why so many are able to make a movie good. Heck they even managed to find a way to pull that off with Rocket, using facial expressions and body language as visual story telling.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That works because Guardians is in the same vain as Star wars and Star Trek, franchises that translate well onto the big screen. I wouldn't want to remove the child aspect, that's what makes him special, but it's what also makes a movie impossible to do (well). There are plenty of actors who could pull that off, that's why so many are able to make a movie good. Heck they even managed to find a way to pull that off with Rocket, using facial expressions and body language as visual story telling.

So it wont work because it happens to be a human child in a superhero movie? Not really a line of logic I can agree with, children in movies can be annoying but the question is if thats just whats been asked of them. Plus we have to consider if the movie is targeted the same audience as say Man of Steel and Nolan's Batman.

In that case, I think you are selling Johnson short. The only thing I really worry about is that, oddly enough for a guy that big, is that he cant generate the sort of menace he needs to project as Black Adam. He can do gruff, but I haven't seen him 'kill someone with his eyes' if you get my drift.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Juke

@juke said:

Using the Rock to broaden something isn't exactly good, because he has no acting skill. If anything that could lead to the same situation with Green Lantern or the Hulk, a great character getting a bad rep from a bad movie.

What are you talking about? The Rock is serious enough to put all he's got into a good role and this isn't some cheeky action movie where he's there just for the cash-grab. He knows what's at stake and that this film is serious business. He'll do good. I have a feeling you are just against the Rock because you feel like he's too mainstream or doesn't have the exact looks of your favorite hero. By the way you are basically patrolling this thread I can tell you don't like him as an actor for whatever reason.

webdude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By webdude1

So it wont work because it happens to be a human child in a superhero movie? Not really a line of logic I can agree with, children in movies can be annoying but the question is if thats just whats been asked of them. Plus we have to consider if the movie is targeted the same audience as say Man of Steel and Nolan's Batman.

In that case, I think you are selling Johnson short. The only thing I really worry about is that, oddly enough for a guy that big, is that he cant generate the sort of menace he needs to project as Black Adam. He can do gruff, but I haven't seen him 'kill someone with his eyes' if you get my drift.

Dwayne being a wrestler for all those years, I think he can do a pretty good death stare, but I don't know I will have to youtube it. I get what @captainmarvel4ever is saying, their really aren't good child actors, I really don't like them, but if they get one of those 22 year olds that look like a child, he will be waay to old by the second movie. Having a child actor as the main character in a movie like this seems like a big risk, but their is no way around it, so they better find one with the looks and skill.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I said it wouldn't work because of the type of film it is.

Doesn't matter, I still couldn't buy him being another person, and I can't see him emoting or delivering his ,lines correctly.

@juke said:

@juke said:

What are you talking about? The Rock is serious enough to put all he's got into a good role and this isn't some cheeky action movie where he's there just for the cash-grab. He knows what's at stake and that this film is serious business. He'll do good. I have a feeling you are just against the Rock because you feel like he's too mainstream or doesn't have the exact looks of your favorite hero. By the way you are basically patrolling this thread I can tell you don't like him as an actor for whatever reason.

No he doesn't he has proven he has almost zero skill an actor, he may be better then someone like Megan Fox, but he's still not an actor. The reason I don't like him as an actor, is because he can't act.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webdude1 said:

@outside_85 said:

Dwayne being a wrestler for all those years, I think he can do a pretty good death stare, but I don't know I will have to youtube it. I get what @captainmarvel4ever is saying, their really aren't good child actors, I really don't like them, but if they get one of those 22 year olds that look like a child, he will be waay to old by the second movie. Having a child actor as the main character in a movie like this seems like a big risk, but their is no way around it, so they better find one with the looks and skill.

It's not a death stare I want (plus even then I can't take it seriously when he does it) I just want someone who can use facial expressions while acting, or at the very least someone who can hold a stern face that I can believe.

webdude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webdude1 said:

@outside_85 said:

It's not a death stare I want (plus even then I can't take it seriously when he does it) I just want someone who can use facial expressions while acting, or at the very least someone who can hold a stern face that I can believe.

If Dwayne Johnson truly wants to ditch the family friendly persona he has created with the rock, I don't think he will screw up this role.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webdude1 said:

@webdude1 said:

@outside_85 said:

If Dwayne Johnson truly wants to ditch the family friendly persona he has created with the rock, I don't think he will screw up this role.

He's tried ditching it many times before, and it didn't work.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

Like every actor he has his ups and downs but he's nowhere like Megan Fox. Have you seen Faster? He was amazing when it came to his acting in that film. The Rock has a ton of charisma and that's why people love him in his movies and that's why he was back in WWE. He was also great in Hercules, it was just the poor script that sunk that film. To say he's not an actor is just plain dumb. You're in an echo chamber, repeating "he's not an actor" over and over again hoping someone will agree with you when it's not going to happen. Why isn't he an actor? Is he "too mainstream?" Too much of an "action star" to play Shazam? You know nothing about the Rock and how well he can act. You've probably seen about three of his summer films in your entire lifetime and decided off of that that he is no good. The Shazam film will not be a cash-grab movie. The Rock has enough respect to realize that, and he will give it all he can. It's making me laugh, really, how you've just hijacked this thread trying to sway everyone's opinions. We get it, you're hard for Shazam, but give it a break. You're no different than all of the angry kids who called blasphemy over Ben Affleck being cast as Batman. Arguing with you is pointless because you will always follow up with your statement about how bad of an actor he is when you know nothing about the man. Have a nice day.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be a great movie to follow up with right after Justice League, but it would be weird to come before it.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juke said:

@captainmarvel4ever:

Like every actor he has his ups and downs but he's nowhere like Megan Fox. Have you seen Faster? He was amazing when it came to his acting in that film. The Rock has a ton of charisma and that's why people love him in his movies and that's why he was back in WWE. He was also great in Hercules, it was just the poor script that sunk that film. To say he's not an actor is just plain dumb. You're in an echo chamber, repeating "he's not an actor" over and over again hoping someone will agree with you when it's not going to happen. Why isn't he an actor? Is he "too mainstream?" Too much of an "action star" to play Shazam? You know nothing about the Rock and how well he can act. You've probably seen about three of his summer films in your entire lifetime and decided off of that that he is no good. The Shazam film will not be a cash-grab movie. The Rock has enough respect to realize that, and he will give it all he can. It's making me laugh, really, how you've just hijacked this thread trying to sway everyone's opinions. We get it, you're hard for Shazam, but give it a break. You're no different than all of the angry kids who called blasphemy over Ben Affleck being cast as Batman. Arguing with you is pointless because you will always follow up with your statement about how bad of an actor he is when you know nothing about the man. Have a nice day.

No I haven't, but every other film I have seen him in he has been awful. He does not posses any of the skills of an actor. Also reviews say he was awful in Hercules, and the box office sales do not paint a good picture. Captain Marvel is a multi-layered character, and for someone who cannot emote, deliver lines well, or become another person, that is a severe problem. I don't have any problem with Ben Affleck playing Batman, he is an actor (in fact I don't know why anyone has a problem with him). I'm sure Mr. Johnson is a fine wrestler, but he is just not an actor.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid said:

Personally I think it works, Shazam has his own world to work with.

In terms of appearance it want him to deviate from his Comicbook look. Which is a black hair, blue eyed flying brick not much different from Superman.

Aquaman has blonde hair

Batman without mask practically same appearance qualities as Kal I'm hoping they keep the brown eyes Ben has

Cyborg is black with black traits so his appearance is different

Diana being a woman main difference appearance wise

Hal has brown hair

All should look different from another in some way. Maybe giving the audience someone to resemble with.

He doesn't look that much like Superman, he has different hair and a different costume.

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited about it as long as they keep Billy/Shazam's pre-new 52 personality and that the movie isn't too dark. I don't want to see Shazam neck-snapping Black Adam.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid said:

@justthatkid said:

Personally I think it works, Shazam has his own world to work with.

In terms of appearance it want him to deviate from his Comicbook look. Which is a black hair, blue eyed flying brick not much different from Superman.

Aquaman has blonde hair

Batman without mask practically same appearance qualities as Kal I'm hoping they keep the brown eyes Ben has

Cyborg is black with black traits so his appearance is different

Diana being a woman main difference appearance wise

Hal has brown hair

All should look different from another in some way. Maybe giving the audience someone to resemble with.

He doesn't look that much like Superman, he has different hair and a different costume.

His appearance, color scheme, powerset all screams similarities to Superman the powerset less now because of throwing it more into magical then physical which is great. They should deviate him more then hairstyle which Superman has a slick going back hair style shown by Cav-EL. Reason why some refer to him as "Magic Superman"

No again, Superman has different hair and both heroes have different colored costumes. Also other then flying and strength they have no other abilities in common (you may as well say Cyborg or Wonder Woman is too much like Superman then). Also the magic thing isn't necessarily good, but that does not relate to this topic so I won't debate it here.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited about it as long as they keep Billy/Shazam's pre-new 52 personality and that the movie isn't too dark. I don't want to see Shazam neck-snapping Black Adam.

Sadly I think the whole reason New 52 Captain Marvel exists is because he works better for WB's movie plans.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: I'd really have to disagree, they don't look too much alike. I also don't see how minor changes like that would make a difference. Also why would you want Teth to be Captain Marvel? that makes no sense.

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By iDude

I'm super excited for this movie! I think its good that DC is deviating from only doing Superman and Batman movies, we are finally going to be able see other DC characters come to life on the big screen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.