Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

SDCC 2014: DC: Champions of Justice Panel

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

It may be Batman's 75th anniversary, but the Dark Knight isn't hogging all of the spotlight and DC Comics definitely isn't forgetting about its other iconic heroes. It was a crowded stage as David Finch, Meredith Finch, Van Jensen, Geoff Johns, Charles Soule, Robert Venditti, John Cunningham, and Nicola Scott joined the panel to discuss what's coming up in their books.

No Caption Provided
    • JUSTICE LEAGUE #32 cover shown first. Has Luthor holding Batman's belt and cowl.
    • Geoff Johns says the core of FOREVER EVIL was to create a very personal story for Luthor.
    • Big focus on a cat and mouse relationship between Lex and Bruce in JUSTICE LEAGUE. Wayne will try to infiltrate LexCorp.
    • Shown a few pages of Doom Patrol appearing in the book as well as Element Woman.
    • John calls Doom Patrol very wounded people and the Chief has made them worse. Shown an image of them squaring off with Power Ring.
    • Johns says he read every New 52 Superman comic before working with the character to see what he's been through. Adds he wanted to bring back the Daily Planet in a big way and says there's a strong focus on Jimmy Olsen coming. Also says the heart of Superman is Clark Kent and what the people around him mean to him.
    • Finch says she's very fortunate to take over after Azzarello did such an amazing job of showing who Wonder Woman and her supporting cast are. Says the Amazons can't go neglected and they'll be a key piece in the first arc. Says she'll bring back an old villain but imagined in a totally different way. Excited to reimagine her and says it'll shock.
    • Shown some pencil pages of WONDER WOMAN and she's interacting with the Justice League (Batman, Cyborg,Superman, Aquaman). Shown another page that focuses on Swamp Thing.Another page is revealed -- a double-page spread -- of Diana kicking Swamp Thing in the face.
    • Soule says SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN is fun because in incorporates characters from both worlds. Explains the physical conflict gives him a chance to illuminate the characters and humanize them with little moments. Adds that the Doomed story just gets bigger and bigger and bigger.
    • Venditti says a big focus going into THE FLASH was showing how FOREVER EVIL impacted the city.
    • Venditti says THE FLASH has a great cast and they're trying to have as much fun as they can.
    • Venditti says he wanted to show Hal become more of a strategist in GREEN LANTERN. Says next story will show how far he can evolve in that regard and how it impacts his character. Adds the book is a lot of fun and "a lot of big stories coming down the line."
    • GREEN LANTERN #34 is Jon Stewart's hunt for the real Fatality. Joked it's a relief to write because it has a smaller cast.
    • Regarding RED LANTERNS, Soule thanked Johns for all of the worldbuilding he did with the GL mythos.
    • Johns thanks Soule for not killing Dex-Starr. Soul replies he loves Dex-Starr and the character's safe and not going anywhere.
    • Soule states the upcoming RED LANTERNS annual has everything coming to a head.
    • Soule says he wants to continue to explore Swamp Thing being "new to his job." Adds he's incredibly powerful but trusting and more people will try to take advantage of that. "Being able to add to the Swamp Thing mythology is a huge thrill for me."
    • Upcoming SWAMP THING story is about technology trying to find an avatar of its own. "It's going to be really fun."
    • Scott states Tom Taylor's doing a great job juggling Earth 2's cast and building up for more. Adds its great to be in their own continuity so they can create all kinds of havoc. Joked that a fan told her EARTH 2 is like Game of Thrones because you never know who will die.
    • Question: Marvel has had success promoting diverse heroes, but DC seems like they're not pushing them as hard. Answer: Johns says it's something they talk about every day, cites examples of characters and says they're proud about the characters they're pushing. Panel pointed out there's a difference between heavy publicity versus what's actually going on in the panels.
    • Question: how's the collaboration between Meredith and David on WONDER WOMAN? Answer: she plots and then David reads it and they discuss. Explains that living in the same house allows for better communication and gives them an advantage.
    • Johns says the care the Finchs are putting into WONDER WOMAN is so wonderful and they're putting everything they have into it.
    • Question: will we see The Flash TV series influence the comic? Answer: there's one connection going on right now in the comic that'll eventually appear in the show.
    • Johns: "One of the goals we have is to celebrate the DC universe in every medium we have."
    • Question: will we see any Red Lanterns in EARTH 2? Answer: the weekly is the opportunity to pick up a lot of loose threads. Presuming that's where it'll pop up.
    • Question: will we continue to see more humanizing elements with Cyborg? Answer: Johns says Cyborg and Shazam will bond and develop a stronger friendship. Batson's maturity drags him down and they kind of get in trouble because of it. Aside from Batman and Lex Luthor, they'll be the biggest characters in JUSTICE LEAGUE.
    Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

• JUSTICE LEAGUE #32 cover revealed. Shows Luthor holding Batman's belt and cowl.

Pretty sure that was revealed months ago.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Well damn.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I like the Swamp Thing news here.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It's probably just blind optimism but I heard that Clark and Diana are still dating in the Futures End story line, so that's 5 more years.... well in their universe who know how long that is in our years

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard

@jonny_anonymous said:

@saint_wildcard: Clark isn't in it

Well that's what I took from this statement

"There's a lot of great stuff coming up in the book. The DOOMED storyline continues through August and gets bigger and bigger with many worlds at stake. The Futures End issues in September, I was lucky to write Wonder Woman FE and Superman/WW FE, which is a one-two punch story telling what their relationship does in five years."

But like I said, blind optimism

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@saren said:

• JUSTICE LEAGUE #32 cover revealed. Shows Luthor holding Batman's belt and cowl.

Pretty sure that was revealed months ago.

Edited.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By entropy_aegis

Yeah Johns we get it Luthor>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Batman.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SaintWildcard

Yeah Johns we get it Luthor>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Batman.

Well it's true

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

@saint_wildcard: Clark isn't in it

Well that's what I took from this statement

"There's a lot of great stuff coming up in the book. The DOOMED storyline continues through August and gets bigger and bigger with many worlds at stake. The Futures End issues in September, I was lucky to write Wonder Woman FE and Superman/WW FE, which is a one-two punch story telling what their relationship does in five years."

But like I said, blind optimism

Well he's not currently appearing in the book, instead it's some masked Superman

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone should ask Soule that if Superman/Wonder Woman is supposed to be the "fun" elements of both characters, why is it that his Superman is such a wet blanket?

Can he have some fun in that book? Between Soule's Debbie Downer Superman and the way the way the artist draws Superman angry all the time, I find their Superman an annoyance.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Look forward to the upcoming Swamp Thing arc.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

"Says the Amazons can't no neglected" the english language wept deeply today.

im a visual person so not reading all, a lot of luthor and batman going on (not interested) and i know all about wonder woman of course so....movie/tv news? like a justice league (really want a wonder woman but lets live in reality for a sec) animated series? i think its time. young justice may not have panned out but justice league can and has

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@perfect_10 said:

"Says the Amazons can't no neglected" the english language wept deeply today.

im a visual person so not reading all, a lot of luthor and batman going on (not interested) and i know all about wonder woman of course so....movie/tv news? like a justice league (really want a wonder woman but lets live in reality for a sec) animated series? i think its time. young justice may not have panned out but justice league can and has

I'll read that as "Hey, thanks for covering this panel and posting the coverage mere minutes after it concluded. I understand there may be a small typo or two since you don't have time to give it a proper proofread as you rush from panel to panel. If so, I'll be sure to politely point them out. Thanks again!"

Well, you're very welcome!

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perfect_10: pretty sure it was "go" that Katzman accidentally spelt "no".

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone should ask Soule that if Superman/Wonder Woman is supposed to be the "fun" elements of both characters, why is it that his Superman is such a wet blanket?

Can he have some fun in that book? Between Soule's Debbie Downer Superman and the way the way the artist draws Superman angry all the time, I find their Superman an annoyance.

First and foremost you should have addressed this to Perez and Lobdell who had Clark walking around with his shoulders slumped and looking mopey because Lois won't look at him. Second don't begin to diss Tony Daniel's Superman. And thirdly why are you reading a book you find an annoyance? Or are you one of those who don't buy a title but can't wait to diss it every moment you get?

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

• Upcoming SWAMP THING story is about technology trying to find an avatar of its own. "It's going to be really fun."

ooooooooooooooh

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By flameboy298

Question: Marvel has had success promoting diverse heroes,but DC seems like they're not pushing them as hard.

Answer; Johns says it's something they talk about every day, cites examples of characters and says they're proud about the characters they're pushing. Panel pointed out there's a difference between heavy publicity versus what's actually going on in the panels.

oh rlly?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By entropy_aegis
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question: Marvel has had success promoting diverse heroes,but DC seems like they're not pushing them as hard.

Answer; Johns says it's something they talk about every day, cites examples of characters and says they're proud about the characters they're pushing. Panel pointed out there's a difference between heavy publicity versus what's actually going on in the panels.

oh rlly?

LOL.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

says there's a strong focus on Jimmy Olsen coming.

I don't really like Jimmy and one of the things I like about the New 52 so far is that he's been scarce.

• Question: will we see The Flash TV series influence the comic? Answer: there's one connection going on right now in the comic that'll eventually appear in the show.

Wally or Patty!

Says the Amazons can't go neglected and they'll be a key piece in the first arc. Says she'll bring back an old villain but imagined in a totally different way. Excited to reimagine her and says it'll shock.

Silver Swan? Devastation? Dr. Poison? CIRCE!!!

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

oh rlly?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnqestion: they're my favorite DC characters, I wished Soule would write a Superman that's actually enjoyable, but he's so lame. And no, I won't blame Lobdell and Perez, no one told him to write Superman like that. Pak's Superman wasn't a whiny biatch pre-Doomed.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: all sarcastic comments have a kernel of truth to them.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, good luck to Johns with his Superman’s run; same goes to Soule with SM/WW. Speaking about Wonder Woman, I’m really curios what Finch going to bring in her book. I like Azzarello’s run, no two minds about it, but with time it gotten tedious to read and read about Diana’s relatives from paternal line; Amazons and other world were neglected for way too long.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By Jenkale

@k4tzm4n: im just miss understood. its cool, 99% of people dont get my sense of humor. p.s. didnt know you were typing live and sending it away without proof reading or editing. my bad for giving so much respect for this site as super professional but wont happen again. let the mistakes role!!!!!!

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Unlike a lot of people, I like what Venditti has been doing on GL. One of those things being, what he said. Making Hal more of a strategist, makes the character a lot cooler and more interesting imo. Although I would love it if they could stop all the crossovers.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlike a lot of people, I like what Venditti has been doing on GL. One of those things being, what he said. Making Hal more of a strategist, makes the character a lot cooler and more interesting imo. Although I would love it if they could stop all the crossovers.

Completely agree with you!

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Question: will we see any Red Lanterns in EARTH 2? Answer: the weekly is the opportunity to pick up a lot of loose threads. Presuming that's where it'll pop up.

Finally. They referenced that way back in the beginning of the series, then dropped it when they switched writers and put all the focus on Superman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I am very intrigued about Swamp Thing and the tech avatar.

Nice to see Johns' dedication on Supes. Having to go through some of Superman's New 52 stuff is a labor on its own.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice to see that Swamp Thing is being considered fairly highly in the DCU.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.