Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Saint's Massive Reviews- The Green Team

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Edited By SaintWildcard

It's time for the Wildcard of CV to get into the review game. But I lack the desire to do single issue reviews so I plan on reviewing arcs or runs of comics. I'd like to start off with

No Caption Provided

The Inflation Reboot

You might think this title is a new idea if didn't read any comics before 1976 but even if you did this is such a fringe title I'm surprised DC even remembered it. DC was really scarping the bottom of the barrel with this idea. They gave the work to Baltazar and Franco, the only reason they took the book was cus DC was giving them the Green Light to do anything with it , that may have been the reasons for it's quick cancellation. One of the things that made me pick up this book was a combination of the covers and the description.

This cover oozes fun just like Deathstroke wants them to ooze blood
    This cover oozes fun just like Deathstroke wants them to ooze blood
    Abdul can also only say
    Abdul can also only say "Damn! S**T! and That is wack!

The writers tweaked it a bit but also fleshed out the characters more.The story was pitched as Richie Rich in the DC universe. That their adventures might even catch the eye of other DC characters like the JL. Either that was false advertising or they didn't get a chance to do it.

Beat those dirty poor people!
    Beat those dirty poor people!

Also when the advertising it, DC made it seem like the Green Team and The Movement were gonna be tied together some how. Again, false advertising.I'm also not sure how the tone and stories of both of them would blend but I'll get to that in the end when I say what this series did wrong.

Summary

The series itself is actually pretty decent. It starts with Mohammed trying to gain his fathers approval. He hopes to accomplish with the help of 64 (AKA Commodore Murphy). After a while of talking with Murphy, he finds out what he's all about. Murphy doesn't wanna follow in the steps of his father or people like Lex Luthor. He hopes to help the world by buying up as much weapons as possible and clean up the streets, a dumb plan but when you have 64 Trillion dollars it's not entirely out of your reach. The Green Team consists of 2 other members J. P. Houston, son of a rich oil tycoon and Cecilia Sunbeam, best actress of this generation. J.P is Murphy's best friend and tries to be the voice of reason to Murphy's plans. Cecilia is the "Girlfriend" of Murphy, but her character becomes a tad more interesting when we find out that she's only dating him to get more limelight but in reality is in love with J.P. Scandalous. Although cliche, what else is to be expected from a comic about rich teens.

The first issue ends with the villain busting into the Expo where the Green Team is at. A cult led by Riot wants to take some Super Suits that Murphy purchased. The villain turns out to be Murphy's father who on a quest to get super powers gets the ability to multiply but at the cost of his health. The man that pulls the strings af the end is Mr. Bellachek. He's basically pulled a Monkey Paw on the suits cursed Riot to his fate, he was using them as guinnie pigs to test out the suits.

Review

I enjoyed the humor in this book. Most of it came from the Richie Rich style approach to this (Trying to buy the Teen Titans, owning a Batmobile lifting an entire hotel floor with a helicopter to escape).The Characters are a vast improvement over the winey spoiled versions of the 74 comic. I like Murphy's motivation and approach to problems,. Mohammed is the most likable due and is probably the one I can relate to the most... aside from the fact that he's filthy stinking rich. I like how he starts to bond with the team.

What I didn't enjoy was how the book turned into an other Superhero book with a somewhat cliche villain. I had high hopes for this book thinking it would be like Harley Quinn but with rich teens. I hate it when people add Batman into stories that don't need it just to boost sales, but this book more than anything needed Bruce, Oliver or Lex to make an appearance. I wanted it to be a book full of hyjinx that would annoy the other DC characters. It still could have had a villain like Riot but IMO it would have been better if instead of getting powers they use the worlds greatest super power

MONEY!
    MONEY!

I wanted to see more moments like when Murphy breaks into the Teen Titans HQ in the Batmobile and offers to buy them.

Putting aside the high expectations I had for the book it was still an enjoyable book. The story and the dynamic of the team is good and the villain is decent.

Rating- 6

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

You had me at Money.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@ostyo said:

You had me at Money.

They don't need it :P. You had the series?

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.