Rumor Patrol: Denzel Washington as Lex Luthor

• 62 results
#1 Edited by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

im ok with this..................

There’s been so much official superhero movie news over the past few days that mere Batman vs. Superman and Justice League rumors – no matter how interesting – seem pretty boring by comparison. There was the casting of Gal Gadot (Fast and Furious 6) as Wonder Woman, the Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailer, and the revelation that the sequel to X-Men: Days of Future Past will be about Apocalypse (maybe even the Age of). What could possibly be worth mentioning alongside all that craziness?

Well, the latest batch of rumors have to do with the casting of Lex Luthor in BvS and the setup for the inevitable followup, Justice League. While we’ve heard casting rumors for Lex before – namely, that Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Mark Strong (Green Lantern) were up for the role – this rumor would seem to indicate that Zack Snyder and co. are going in an altogether different direction.

According to Thinkmcflythink, the shortlist for Superman’s greatest, most brilliant arch-nemesis includes, first and foremost, Denzel Washington (2 Guns), Idris Elba (Thor 2), and “a certain reoccurring [African-American] cast member from ‘Arrow.’ ” Just to get it out of the way – yes, these are all black men. And no, casting a black man as Luthor is not comparable to casting Brad Pitt as Black Panther or Bruce Willis as Malcolm X. In case there was any confusion on the matter.

Lex Luthor Superman Man of Steel Rumors Rumor Patrol: Denzel Washington as Lex Luthor; Justice League of Nations

Since the above article also refers to Idris Elba – a British black man – as an African-American, it’s hard to say who the third actor is referring to. It could be David Ramsey, who’s American, or Colin Salmon, who’s British. Salmon is the more “Lex Luthor-esque” of the two and Ramsey is likely locked in to play Oliver Queen’s partner, John Diggle, for a while, so the former seems the more likely candidate.

Thinkmcflythink stresses that their report doesn’t mean Lex Luthor will definitely be played by a black actor; rather, black actors are who the producers are currently looking at.

Of the three actors on the rumored shortlist, Denzel is easily the most exciting option. He’s proven before that he can play a villain role with the best of them (he won his Best Actor Oscar for Training Day) and, perhaps even more importantly, that he can pull off a bald head (The Equalizer). Unfortunately, according to the report, Denzel is the least likely of the three to take the role – and in fact, it may already be outside the realm of possibility.

Denzel Washington Idris Elba and Colin Salmon as Lex Luthor Rumor Patrol: Denzel Washington as Lex Luthor; Justice League of Nations

Idris Elba would certainly do an excellent job in the role, but frankly, I’d much prefer to see him get his shot at an actual superhero at some point. Maybe we can just forget all about that Green Lantern (2011) nonsense and Elba can take the role of John Stewart in the aforementioned Justice League.

Lastly, Colin Salmon – if indeed he is the Arrow actor in question – has a solid sinister vibe going on that would fit the role really well, but his star power is well below the other two (not that that’s all that important).

This wouldn’t be the first time Zack Snyder made interesting casting choices with regard to established DC Comics characters. Aside from Henry Cavill who’s basically a dead ringer for the comic book version of Superman, pretty much every single casting decision was unique to the film – from Amy Adams (red hair) as Lois Lane to Russell Crowe as Jor-El to Laurence Fishburne as Perry White to Michael Shannon as General Zod. So there’s definitely some precedent here.

http://screenrant.com/batman-vs-superman-lex-luthor-actor-denzel-washington-idris-elba/

#2 Posted by SilverPool (2245 posts) - - Show Bio

Please god no, Denzel Washington is so overrated.

#3 Edited by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

dudes amazing. have you seen training day?

#4 Edited by ganon15 (1864 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Luthor did look African American-ish in Superman the animated series.

#5 Posted by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15 said:

Well Luthor did look African American-ish in Superman the animated series.

i have no problem with changing the racial part of a charachter as long as the actor is great and im sorry but denzel is great at what he does.

#6 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22973 posts) - - Show Bio

no

#7 Posted by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

if it was idris elba everyone wouldnt complain lets be honest

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know here, Denzel is a great actor and all but not sure he could be Lex. This isn't even a racial thing tho, I thought the same about Bryan Cranston when he was rumored to be cast. I'm not actually sure who could do it tho.

#9 Posted by SilverPool (2245 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool said:

Training Day was over ten years ago, he hasn't done anything special acting wise, at least imo, since.

I would love to see Elba, although I still like him as Jon Stewart.

#10 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22973 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by ganon15 (1864 posts) - - Show Bio

Quick! pick another black guy!

#12 Edited by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

@tazzmission said:

if it was idris elba everyone wouldnt complain lets be honest

no to him either.

Mark Strong

see to me mark strong is better as sinestro. if they ever decided to reboot gl id say keep him as that charachter. i will say though i really dont want luthor again seeing as we had him since the early superman films and i would actually like it if snyder looks into the dc world again and somehow is able to make black adam a villain in the superman franchise. at least with that they can introduce superman cant take hits from magic story. i dont mind if they shake things up by adding someone elses baddie into a different franchise.

#13 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22973 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission:

Mark Strong can be all the DC villains, I woundnt mind.

#14 Posted by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission:

what about benedict cumberbatch? he did play khan after all.

#15 Posted by Black_Claw (3089 posts) - - Show Bio

As much I love Denzel, I honestly don't think he could pull off Luthor.

#16 Edited by ganon15 (1864 posts) - - Show Bio

Billy Zane. He looks and sounds more like the DCAU Lex Luthor than anyone else

#17 Posted by RogueShadow (11903 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

@tazzmission:

He's my favourite after Brian Cranston. But Denzel is actually a pretty good choice. You mentioned Colin Salmon is being considered in the OP, that idea is actually really growing on me.

#18 Posted by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@tazzmission:

He's my favourite after Brian Cranston. But Denzel is actually a pretty good choice. You mentioned Colin Salmon is being considered in the OP, that idea is actually really growing on me.

nothing against crantson but hes like 57.... we have to really think long term because you know they want to use lex in future films

#19 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3863 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want Bryan Cranston to play Lex.

#20 Posted by RogueShadow (11903 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

@tazzmission said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@tazzmission:

nothing against crantson but hes like 57.... we have to really think long term because you know they want to use lex in future films

Luthor isn't a physical villain, he could be 65 and it would be fine. Affleck's 41, in 10 years he'll be too old for the part.

#21 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22973 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission said:

@rogueshadow said:

@tazzmission said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@tazzmission:

Luthor isn't a physical villain, he could be 65 and it would be fine. Affleck's 41, in 10 years he'll be too old for the part.

i never even got arounf to watching star trek 2, was it good?

#22 Edited by RogueShadow (11903 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

@tazzmission said:

@rogueshadow said:

@tazzmission said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@tazzmission:

It was meh. It never really got going, I was always waiting for the film to build momentum but it never quite got there.

#23 Edited by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

@tazzmission said:

@rogueshadow said:

@tazzmission said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@tazzmission:

i didnt grow up a trekkie but i enjoyed the film a lot. believe me jj's 2 films got me into watching the os and tng

#24 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

I won't watch it.

#25 Edited by ganon15 (1864 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: Is that you in your main picture? lol

#26 Edited by Deadpool_is_better_than_you (59 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

@tazzmission said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@tazzmission:

Doesn't really matter at all. The only important thing about Lex is his intelligence. Cranston is one hell of an actor and would be perfect imo. Him getting older wouldn't matter.

#27 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by HumanRocket (9347 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes!

#29 Posted by modernww2fare (1547 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15 said:

no. no no no no - NOOOOO!!! Lex Luthor must always be white for the sake of humanity!

#30 Edited by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare said:

@ganon15 said:

no. no no no no - NOOOOO!!! Lex Luthor must always be white for the sake of humanity!

just going to say this. michael clarke duncan was kingpin and imo he was great even if the movie had issues. also the new human torch is played by michael b jordan who is black wich im fine with but i cant be the only one seeing something racial about a black guy being able to turning to fire. im no racist but i just thought thats an odd thing do to history of racism back in those days

#31 Edited by TDK_1997 (15071 posts) - - Show Bio

Denzel is an amazing actor and I completely love him but he just doesn't seem like Lex and I don't think the role would fit him that well.

#32 Edited by IrishX (2467 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15 said:

I think every role should be played by a black actor.

#33 Posted by RustyRoy (13889 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

Denzel is an amazing actor and I completely love him but he just doesn't seem like Lex and I don't think the role would fit him that well.

This. Ralph Fiennes for Lex.

#34 Posted by RustyRoy (13889 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by LyraFay (2536 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm alright with this. But I actually want Bryan Cranston as James Gordon.

#36 Edited by JordanIsntSuper (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15 said:

Billy Zane. He looks and sounds more like the DCAU Lex Luthor than anyone else

I think He could pull it off. Plus Billy Zane needs something to boost his career and this would definitely do it.

#37 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3863 posts) - - Show Bio

@irishx said:

@ganon15 said:

I think every role should be played by a black actor.

I think I should be played by a black actor......

#38 Posted by RDClip (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

Denzel Washington is a badass, I'd accept him as Lex as long as he yells in the movie.

#39 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3863 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

Denzel Washington is a badass, I'd accept him as Lex as long as he yells in the movie.

I wouldn't mind Denzel playing Lex either, but I still prefer Cranston

#40 Posted by modernww2fare (1547 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare said:

@ganon15 said:

just going to say this. michael clarke duncan was kingpin and imo he was great even if the movie had issues. also the new human torch is played by michael b jordan who is black wich im fine with but i cant be the only one seeing something racial about a black guy being able to turning to fire. im no racist but i just thought thats an odd thing do to history of racism back in those days

You know I was joking, right? Lol

#41 Posted by dagmar_merrill (10261 posts) - - Show Bio

He could do it.

#42 Posted by Amaryllis (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Idris Elba for all the things!!! All the things!!!!

#43 Posted by Farkam (5275 posts) - - Show Bio

DC really likes to lose.

#44 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34994 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool said:

he plays the same character in every movie

#45 Posted by Captain13 (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

Animated Lex was based on this guy:

He's Greek.

#46 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

Idris Elba or Morris Chestnut.

#47 Posted by Farkam (5275 posts) - - Show Bio

No black washing. That is all.

#48 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Denzel for Luthor, but am I the only one that is a bit uncomfortable that theyre only looking at black men (according to this romour)? Its a great role with a great history, but looking at only a black man for one of the most evil, sinister villains in all comics seems to imply that the studio assumes such a person would likely be black.

If this list had been something like "Denzel, Cranston, and Terry O'Quinn", id assume they were just looking at older men with a commanding presence, but what about Luthor apparently screams "Black"?

#49 Posted by Captain13 (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny how some people refuse to let black actors get cast as white heroes but want them cast a black villains. You know who you are in this thread.

Anyway, Ralph Fiennes for Lex Luthor. Idris Elba for Green Lantern.

#50 Posted by Farkam (5275 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny how some people refuse to let black actors get cast as white heroes but want them cast a black villains. You know who you are in this thread.

Anyway, Ralph Fiennes for Lex Luthor. Idris Elba for Green Lantern.

Same with Daredevil. I heard no major complaints about Micheal Clarke Duncan.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.