Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Recreate a character for Earth One

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Now that we've seen Superman, Batman and the Teen Titans get an Earth One makeover, and with a Wonder Woman one on the way, I thought it could be fun to come up with some ideas for how the other heroes (or villains) could be recreated for that world.

So, any thoughts? It can be any character in the DC universe, except of course those who already have an Earth One counterpart.

MechanicalMudd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Personally I would like to see a Aquaman: Earth One comic, base it off the look of the new movie, make him Hawaiian and a fisherman or something like that

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@minisaladfresh: I would really love to re-recreate Earth One Batman. But I guess a new Green Lantern or Green Arrow would be awesome.

NYBreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we do a redo on Batman: Earth One? I don't like seeing a special Ed kid (Batman:E1) get his butt whoop. It's just too cruel.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mechanicalmudd: That's a cool idea. I could totally get down with Aquaman being a fisherman who has some kind of sea accident and winds up in Atlantis. His journey to becoming king would be pretty epic. Good call!

@nybreezy Honestly I really like what Geoff Johns did with Batman: Earth One. A lot of people overreact and say "Johns hates Batman!" but if you actually listen to what he says about why he wrote it the way he did, it makes a lot of sense, and I agree with him. Let's be honest, "Bat-God" is kind of ridiculous. The things Batman does in the main universe are beyond impossible for a human. Now, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, I love Batman just the way he is, he's one of my favourite characters and the main reason I started reading comics in the first place. And he kind of NEEDS to be Bat-God to be any use to the Justice League at all, a realistic Batman just couldn't compare to Superman and Wonder Woman, he'd be almost useless to the League, and besides, the stuff Bat-God does is awesome!

However, I agree with Geoff Johns that this new alternate version, a rookie Batman who's just some guy trying to make a difference and getting his butt kicked is a refreshing change. Earth One is about re-imagining the DC heroes and doing things that can't be done in the main universe. I just think that after all these years of seeing Batman take on 10 guys with machine guns all at once without breaking a sweat, it's a refreshing change to see him as a regular guy who gets his butt handed to him now and then. I think it's cool seeing a completely different take on Batman, a Batman where he doesn't have everything under control all the time and who doesn't win every fight.

But yeah, if you want you can re-create Earth One Batman how you would have done it. Just looking to generate some discussion and ideas about what people would like to see done, if you have an alternate take on Earth One Batman I'd love to hear it.

@ultrastarkiller Any ideas? Honestly I have no idea how Green Arrow could be re-created, but there are a lot of options for Green Lantern. I'd be interested in any ideas you have for either of those.

NYBreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NYBreezy

@minisaladfresh: Lets be honest, Earth One Batman is an idiot. Nothing in comics is realistic (i.e. Superman & Wonder Woman). Heck, anybody that I know that can fight can beat up Earth One Batman. I can get a stick and beat Earth One Batman to death. Earth One Batman is really a special ed's kid in a batsuit.

If I could rewrite Earth One Batman, I would go to a more detective route. Make his stories based more on mysteries and cases that were never closed or solved. At least make him competent to the point that I can lay back and think "Wow. This guy is a pretty great detective. Might be one of the best." I probably make him more emotionally open. I'm kind of getting tired of the emotionless, cold-hearted Batman that I have seen for a while. Heck, I probably give him a long-term relationship with a woman that I can realistically see him be with (i.e. not Catwoman or Talia). Change the status quo that Batman cannot have a happy ending. I probably even not give him any Robins because in reality, Bruce should not have bring a kid into the crosshairs of murderers and psychopaths.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@ultrastarkiller Any ideas? Honestly I have no idea how Green Arrow could be re-created, but there are a lot of options for Green Lantern. I'd be interested in any ideas you have for either of those.

I guess I would make it to where Oliver Queen is already an accomplished bowman, though he isn't public about it obviously. He practices all the time in his mansion and can already make nearly impossible shots. Then I would insert the island somehow and have him actually put those skills to use, and on the island he learns what it means to be a hero by becoming the protector of a small village that end up getting killed anyway. Idk lol I have awesome ideas but I have second thoughts about putting them in a public forum.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman being british and not king of Atlantis. I have way more ideas for the character but to lazy to write in English (not my mother language).

Doctor Mid-nite being a real doctor that works with people that have problems with their powers and stuff.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Martian Manhunter who has been on earth for decades now and is a high ranking member of the white house. J'onn is trying to sway the president to not engage Superman or beings like him stating that they can be forces for good. So he's basically trying to protect the new heroes of earth while keeping his own martian nature secret.

White Martian survivors or perhaps Ma'alefa'ak come to earth and J'onn has to make the choice on either to stay off the radar or fight his own planets past sins while alerting US government of another god like alien on earth.

This all basically comes from an idea I had of J'onn disguised as a human walking out of the white house to fight someone like Despro with everyone in Washington watching him transform back into his true martian form complete with epic cape swish. :)

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wbr17: When you say British, do you mean English? It's just that 'British' isn't a nationality - a 'British' person could be English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish, so where specifically in Britain would Aquaman be from?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

I would like to see any of these

The Outsiders

Titans

JL/JLA

The Flash

Aquaman

Lanterns Corp

Doctor Fate/Zatanna Zatara/Constantine

Maybe Birds of Prey

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wbr17: When you say British, do you mean English? It's just that 'British' isn't a nationality - a 'British' person could be English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish, so where specifically in Britain would Aquaman be from?

I don't know. That's why I said "British". Probably England but not necessary.

ManofBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ManofBatz

Constantine Earth One. He will start out as a small time psychic and eventually learn about real magic. Constantine is a single father trying to raise a 13 year old daughter. Sadly, he has been having trouble paying the bills. Lucky for him, he finds out about the Jonathan Zandi's million dollar challenge.(based off of http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html). Although his daughter constantly tells him that his psychic powers are not real, he learned about cold reading from some 6 week online course and they just never explicitly said what they were teaching was cold reading, He decides to take the challenge and (to everyone's surprise) succeeds. However, this draws the attention of some dangerous people...

A lot of the magic in Earth one will be based of off new-age woo. It will explore concepts such as sacred geometry, crystal healing, the power of thought, channeling, chakras etc.

Is it dumb? probably. But I'm bored

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: Make him Scouse like Constantine. Great seafaring heritage in Liverpool.

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AwesomeHobos

Hawkman: Earth One written by Brian Azzarello and drawn by Greg Capullo, have him be a thanagarian named Katar Hol who crash landed in ancient Egypt and used his technology to be come Pharaoh and then is reincarnated throughout time. This one shouldn't have to be a big departure from anything, it really just needs to be a stable solid story that establishes Hawkman. You could have the villain be the Gentleman Ghost, and they could have a prior relationship by saying that in Hawkman's past life Gentleman Ghost killed Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman and he hasn't been able to find her since. I think his armor should be slightly Egyptian based but also alien. You could even set up the idea that the reason he always finds the armor is that he's drawn to it, hence why Carter Hall, his latest incarnation, is an archaeologist. I personally don't think they should go the rout of hi specifically remembering all his past lives, I just think he should be the same person.

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
    Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Lantern: Earth One. It would revolve around Hal Jordan (and less so the corps), and he could have a different origin, his powers could come from a different source, have a completely makeover costume, etc.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By judasnixon
    No Caption Provided

I would like to see a Zatanna story, where Zatanna isn't really magical. Instead she does great feats that looks like magic, but just turns out to be a very well planned illusion..... I would make her more like a real life magician..... Just think if Penn and Teller was a hot female who fights crime, and solve mysteries......... I would even throw in John Constantine as the world greatest con-man......

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

I would love to see that bearded left-wing Green Arrow again. I want to see a Green Arrow that travels around to third world countries fighting the worst people in the world. I want to see Green Arrow that goes to Africa, and takes down warlords who have children soldiers, or him going to the DC's version of North Korea, or taking out Muslim tribes who kill young Muslim girls for getting educated........ I want to see Green Arrow saving sweetshop workers in India.....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.