Please give DIAL H a try.

#1 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Dial H is such a unique and interesting book. It does not deserve to be second to last in sales. Please give it a try before it gets the chopping block.

#2 Edited by sinestro_GL (3152 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

Dial H is such a unique and interesting book. It does not deserve to be second to last in sales. Please give it a try before it gets the chopping block.

I think the problem is that not many people have heard of Dial H. It's a sad fact though...people should give unfamiliar books a try at least once.

#3 Posted by Catsnlynne (1032 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish people would've tried Hawkman and Deathstroke before they got the chopping block.

#4 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried Hawkman, that book was terrible. The writing stunk and without an inker the art became a dark blurry mess. I really love Hawkman or at least I did before they reinvented him. Deathstroke I never read, I was mad about the costume change but I heard some people really enjoyed it. I remember the original Deathstroke solo book. He is a hard character to care about, its just a lot of "POW" "BANG" "KABOOM". If you miss him you can find 60 issues of the Deathstroke series from the 90's at most comic back issue websites for $1.

#5 Posted by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

Dial H is amazing. It's probably the best series (and YES I'm including I, Vampire) that's going to get the knife. :(

Come on people, buy it NOW!

#6 Edited by Billy Batson (58024 posts) - - Show Bio

The first trade just came out so people better buy it.

BB

#7 Posted by Saren (25674 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much the only reason I'm not reading it is the hipster fan following.

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't have Super, Bat or Green in the title so I don't see DC giving it much of a push.

#9 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

That makes you sound like a complete hipster.

#10 Posted by Saren (25674 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

@citizenbane said:

That makes you sound like a complete hipster.

How dare you! I read every Batman family book! Every Green Lantern book! Every Superman family book! My reading list is as woefully mainstream as it gets!

#11 Posted by Billy Batson (58024 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought you said you just didn't like it.

BB

#12 Posted by Saren (25674 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane said:

BB

I didn't like Stormwatch either, kept reading it nonetheless. Dial H dropped off my list because of personal preference at first; it stayed off the list because of the hipster fan following. I am content to patiently wait to hear their anguished cries when it gets cancelled.

#13 Edited by Loki9876 (3048 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought the tpb.

#14 Posted by The_Tree (7464 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the concept, but I tried the first few issues and just couldn't get into it.

#15 Edited by Billy Batson (58024 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson said:

@citizenbane said:

BB

I didn't like Stormwatch either, kept reading it nonetheless. Dial H dropped off my list because of personal preference at first; it stayed off the list because of the hipster fan following. I am content to patiently wait to hear their anguished cries when it gets cancelled.

BB

#16 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane: Relax, dont get your ironic mustache all uncurled. Only a hipster would worry this much about a bunch of strangers thinking he is a hipster. Go have a Paps Blue Ribbon and unwind to some Skrilex. If you dont want to read an awesome book dont.

#17 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio
@the_tree said:

I like the concept, but I tried the first few issues and just couldn't get into it.

I understand completely. I really did not like it for at least the first 4-5 issues but I had bought the first 8 issues on Ebay. If I didnt have the issued I would have dropped off. I think I even wrote some negative review for the early issues here on comicvine. It had real problems with character development and was a bit confusing at the start. But the writing really improved. It has gotten so good and so weird but in a good way rather than just weird for weird's sake like it was at the beginning. The writer really turned the book around in my opinion. The latest issue 11 was fantastic.

#18 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3734 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711:

I`ll buy the first trade (I dunno if it helps, that I buy from a non-American online book shop (since I`m not from USA), helps). We`ll see how I feel about it.

#19 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't have enough money

#20 Edited by papabearg4d (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't have enough money

This. If I have 3.99 to spend on a comic book, I'd go for my favorite book than risk it on a book that I may or may not enjoy, though my friend has it on his pull list so I'd borrow it, doesn't see how that helps the book on sales since I am not paying for it.

#21 Posted by chalkshark (1189 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm buying it solely for the Brian Bolland covers, but, at least I'm buying it. The story line, while never straying far from interesting, isn't particularly riveting. As with the bulk of the "new" 52, you pretty much know the book is going to be cancelled the second it hits the shelves. DC is making no effort to preserve any of it's titles. There are several ways a publisher can bolster flagging sales, but DC is bringing none of these time worn techniques to bear. If the publisher isn't bothering to invest in their product, you really can't be surprised when the readers aren't either.

#22 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio

I would buy it if I had money. Looks cool...

#23 Edited by akbogert (3222 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711: Not to be too hipster, but it's Pabst.

And honestly, I've looked into the series before, but it really just didn't appeal to me. And it sucks to have someone directly appeal for help and not be able to justify giving it :(

#25 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio
@akbogert said:

@rich711: Not to be too hipster, but it's Pabst.

And honestly, I've looked into the series before, but it really just didn't appeal to me. And it sucks to have someone directly appeal for help and not be able to justify giving it :(

Dial H is not for everyone. Some people really enjoy it and some people really enjoy combing internet forums for chances to make themselves feel smart by correcting strangers spelling mistakes. Whatever floats your boat.

#26 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711 said:

Agreed. It's pretty fantastic.

#27 Posted by gregroyj42 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried the first issue and it was ok but due to a very tight budget I didn't keep reading it. I only buy 6-8 comics a month but will be dropping a lot of cash on trades this summer might pick this up. Any other series that were great that I need to pick up trades for?

#28 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a fan of China Mieville. Before he was put on Dial H, I read his novel Kraken and found it to be the most incomprehensible nonsense I've ever read. It took a massive effort just to pull through. I don't know, maybe it's just because my tastes don't veer to his more experimental style, but that book left a bad taste in my mouth, so I don't really have the motivation (or the money) to give Dial H a try.

#29 Posted by ChiSoxRox (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@gregroyj42: Check out Batwoman (but start with Elegy, before moving on to her self-titled series).

#30 Posted by gregroyj42 (56 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

At least they are making #19 a double issue and are making a point to give the story a complete ending. It has been a weird and fun book

#32 Posted by ChiSoxRox (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@rich711: Yeah, that's a nice gesture of DC. If my favorite series was cancelled, I would want the writers to have more pages in the finale to have the opportunity to wrap up all plot points.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.