Parents Outraged Over "Batman" Comic

• 106 results
#51 Posted by NightFang (9985 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF.

#52 Posted by Storm Rider (166 posts) - - Show Bio
@DH69 said:
" I can see why these idiots...i mean parents, are unhappy with this. to be honest its very understandable, without a rating system for dc how are they supposed to know if its aproppriate for their kids to read.  "
Open the cover and take a look at the pages, maybe? That would be a good way to know if it's appropriate for their kids and it would take no more than a few seconds. If the kid bought it on their own then it's the kids fault for not towing the parents puritanical line.
#53 Edited by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, DC ain't got a rating system? why DC, I'm surprised.
Any-who, I think the parents might have the edge on this...then again I never read the issue, so I wouldn't know.

#54 Posted by skillin villin (88 posts) - - Show Bio

a rating system for DC is a good idea, but wow the parents never thought that  batman would be different now then the happy go lucky 60's batman

#55 Posted by AirDave817 (809 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda think the parents are foolish to believe that because they've introduced their to child to Batman through a 43-year old television program that they can just blindly walk into a library or anywhere else and just randomly pick up a comic book without pre-reading it and assume that it would be appropriate - that seems to me a bit naive. DC does produce all ages comics. With a kid-friendly Johnny DC logo. That's like burning yourself on McDonald's coffee and then expecting them to add a label that says Warning: coffee may be hot.  

#56 Posted by G-Man (32487 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#57 Posted by DonavanWolfMaster (136 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
"My personal opinion (and of course I'm not a parent) is that the Spivock family saw an opportunity to get five minutes of fame and took it. Like you said in your closing Babs, I to have to question the timing of this incident. If their excuse is that they watched the old Adam West Batman t.v. show and decided to then purchase Batman Confidential #18 and were shocked by the content, I'm not buying it. You can take one look at the cover and clearly see its a far cry from the T.V. show. Catwoman's custom is all torn not to mention her chest is heavily exaggerated. That right there should have raised a red flag for this uber sensitive mother. At the very least you would think it would have caused her to open it up and flip through a couple pages. Hahahaha I mean wtf, Batman isn't even on the cover. You would think after watching the show she would have at least picked up an issue with the star on the cover. But that's just me. Not to mention the kid was 12, 12! Good thing she didnt check out a comic with Powergirl, she would have never recovered and probably sued the Library.

Now having said that, there's really no excuse for DC comics not to have a rating system. Will it stop parents like the Spivocks from protesting or complaining about the mature nature of comics, no, but at least it takes some of their ammunition away. "

I agree with Gambler 89.9% Smart ideas dude. really . but

i have to disagree with your:
Now having said that, there's really no excuse for DC comics not to have a rating system. Will it stop parents like the Spivocks from protesting or complaining about the mature nature of comics, no, but at least it takes some of their ammunition away

statement if DC had a rating system it might be nice. and good for them. i also am not a parent.
and am a fifteen years old and maybe that biased my opinion,but i think it really ends up in the parents lap. or the monkey is on their back so to speak. DC makes the comics and sends them out to stores,shops, and stands everywhere. they've done they're part. and parents should start doing theirs. right?
#58 Posted by DonavanWolfMaster (136 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Devil Tiger said:
"@Nova`Prime` said:
"@Vance Astro: 150% agree with you there Vance. The same can be said for video games, the only people that look at them and use them are retailers. The kids certainly don't, most of this little b@st@rds just put their hand out, get money and go buy whatever they want. Then the parents get upset at the sellers. Its not hard, its called being a good parent and half of that is interacting with your kids and know what they are up too.And that's all for my ranting today."
Yup ! I'll agree with you !"

ILL second the notion!
#59 Posted by SilverZeo (2748 posts) - - Show Bio

But you have to admitt there are some things that just blow you minds away. Now imgine a younger reader in your postion. How would he handle the melivn and Wendy's death at Wonderdog in Teen Titans, or Osrisis geting eating by Sobeck. I'm not saying it's morally bad. It is an art form after all. But still... how can young readers get into the main stream with so much graphic stuff. It's one thing to have a panel of someone bleeding from a bullet wound, but when you show the guy geting shot with the bullet going through him with blood, flesh, and other gore flying out witht he bullet... is on a level on it's own.

#60 Posted by sifsclub (474 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did they buy it then? they could have a rating system. i was always more of a MAKE MINE MARVEL anyway.

#61 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

Rating System = No

The only rating system DC needs they already have, AKA Vertigo Comics

What you going to put a rating system on novels next? -_-

Take some damn responsibility parents. Comics arent like the TV shows from the 60s anymore.

#62 Posted by DonavanWolfMaster (136 posts) - - Show Bio
@SilverZeo said:
"But you have to admitt there are some things that just blow you minds away. Now imgine a younger reader in your postion. How would he handle the melivn and Wendy's death at Wonderdog in Teen Titans, or Osrisis geting eating by Sobeck. I'm not saying it's morally bad. It is an art form after all. But still... how can young readers get into the main stream with so much graphic stuff. It's one thing to have a panel of someone bleeding from a bullet wound, but when you show the guy geting shot with the bullet going through him with blood, flesh, and other gore flying out witht he bullet... is on a level on it's own. "

from what i gather there was no actual nudity. somebody please correct me if im wrong and i will apologize.
but the comic stated or implied or otherwise in some way let you know that it was a nudist club. which is totally diffrent from showing a guy being murdered in deep detail. which i have no problem with but could understand someone elses finding that offensive. all the while, if that offends you  only buy care bear comics. because still the case is the women or the nudity. and a busty, torn clothed woman in tights on the cover would then have set her/him off,no?
and still if you see the women fighting in over a notebook and im sure as an avid reader of comics since i was but a tiny one that it easily could be told that they were fighting through looking at the pictures that they were fighting. and they had clothes on so you know it wasnt anything else  why would she complain about there not being classic sound effect words? sounds to me like the bitch is trying to find something to be angry about? and using stupidity to support her claims.

is that good?

Checkmate?
#63 Posted by WonderBoy1132 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting...

I think anyone who is looking for a case against something like this is going into it for something more than explicit content. Seriously they must live under a rock because most comics, and most def that one is far less sexual or explicit than most things on TV. I mean come on, turn on MTV and watch it for a half hour and you'll see what I mean (note: I'm 20 years old, its not like i'm some older person freaking out about young kids and their rap music). They fact is, today's society is far worse than any comic you read. If you filter TV for your kids maybe you should actually look at the comic before you give it to them? It's stupidity on the parents fault honestly. They should know better and stop making such a deal about a single comic?

One thing I do agree on is, that DC really needs to get their butts in gear and develop a rating system. Marvel has the right idea with that and it would be in DC's best interest (to avoid lawsuit) to start marking their comics. I mean video games, Music, Movies all do it... so why not comics. Its not like it's hurting the comic in any way, it actually helps people who are knew to comics to be pointed in the right direction.

Lastly, If i was a parent, I would rather my kid read comics than sit in front of a tv or listen to really offensive music.

-WonderBoy

#64 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

I said something over at Digg already. Pretty much, great writing, nice read. 

Rents, watch your kids. Don't just buy them a book and say here don't bug me. Be a parent. 
DC, rate your books! It's not hard and every dang thing out there has a rating these days. 

Of course there is the issue of shelf exposure which is often used in these arguments, but the simple solution there is to bag em like they did to some in the 90's. This would also cut down on in store reading and for the store that don't mind ISR just have a few laying around they can read. Some stores have lounges so guys like me who only collect a few titles in issue form, don't have to buy everything to stay up to date. Rating Bags, and Parents being real parents would all be good here.

-Jef
#65 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@DonavanWolfMaster said:
" @SilverZeo said:
"But you have to admitt there are some things that just blow you minds away. Now imgine a younger reader in your postion. How would he handle the melivn and Wendy's death at Wonderdog in Teen Titans, or Osrisis geting eating by Sobeck. I'm not saying it's morally bad. It is an art form after all. But still... how can young readers get into the main stream with so much graphic stuff. It's one thing to have a panel of someone bleeding from a bullet wound, but when you show the guy geting shot with the bullet going through him with blood, flesh, and other gore flying out witht he bullet... is on a level on it's own. "
from what i gather there was no actual nudity. somebody please correct me if im wrong and i will apologize.but the comic stated or implied or otherwise in some way let you know that it was a nudist club. which is totally diffrent from showing a guy being murdered in deep detail. which i have no problem with but could understand someone elses finding that offensive. all the while, if that offends you  only buy care bear comics. because still the case is the women or the nudity. and a busty, torn clothed woman in tights on the cover would then have set her/him off,no? and still if you see the women fighting in over a notebook and im sure as an avid reader of comics since i was but a tiny one that it easily could be told that they were fighting through looking at the pictures that they were fighting. and they had clothes on so you know it wasnt anything else  why would she complain about there not being classic sound effect words? sounds to me like the bitch is trying to find something to be angry about? and using stupidity to support her claims.is that good?Checkmate? "
Nudity in Batman Confidential #18 was IMPLIED but there was no direct/blatant nudity.
#66 Edited by Dark_WolfX (7 posts) - - Show Bio

i think parents are way too strict theses days i mean there kids will find out about theses things one way or another

#67 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark_WolfX said:
" i think parents are way too strict theses days i mean there kids will find out about theses things one way or another "
Not strict,just stupid.I think what it is,is this generation is so rebellious and so out of control that people are scared their kids are going to be one of those people.It's really not hard to keep them away from that without being over-protective an annoying.You can keep you kids away from comics.It's not like any of actually cared about comics the way we do now until we were grown.When I was twelve I was trying to reach home base,I was playing sports,I was playing video games heavy..I skimmed through comics but I wasn't really drawing them.I was really using them for reference for my own artwork.I hate though when parents start this whining because it causes people who can handle it and still want to read comics of this nature to have to go through all this BS at the comic shop with ID and all that and having their parents come in.It's like people don't realize that their child isn't the only child on earth.
#68 Posted by Dark_WolfX (7 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: true but they do need to lighten up
#69 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think we should blame the comic companies.  So what if they do or don't put ratings on the cover... that parent purchased that comic for their kid.  If they were too dumb to check it out first, then it's their fault... no-one else's.  Not the trader on the market stand, not Adam West for being Batman, not DC for publishing it.  That dumb-assed parent who was too lazy to be a pro-active parent, but shouts too loudly about how dumb and re-active they are.

#70 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark_WolfX said:
" @Vance Astro: true but they do need to lighten up "
indeed.
#71 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with you, but the comic industry should take some responsibility as well. Though it is the parents fault for assuming that comics are relatively safe, a little warning to help them out wouldn't hurt. With a rating in place parents will have absolutely no excuse for not knowing about the material they are purchasing.

Last time I checked there was a rating system in place has, it been removed? And what was she so upset about in that comic anyway?

#72 Edited by Storm Rider (166 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark_WolfX said:
" i think parents are way too strict theses days i mean there kids will find out about theses things one way or another "
What a ridiculous blanket statement. I'm a parent and I didn't have to automatically be inducted into the "order, structure, and conformity idiot of the month club" to receive my credentials into parenthood. Just because you're all boo-boo face over the "grown ups" who "just don't understand" all of your angst doesn't mean you have to indict everyone on the issue. Take everyone and everything on a case-by-case basis and you'll find a lot more variety in the world around you. Us vs. Them. Conservertive vs. liberal. Parent vs. child. Young vs. old. Come on, do we really need to have these oppositional struggles and black and white extremes? This thinking is what has held people back and let the few control the many for so long.

@xerox-kitty: yes, what you said.

Enough social commentary. Back to your comics.
#73 Posted by Wilderness Academy (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Number 1:  Shouldn't we blame the blasted parent for thinking, "Oooh...a dime.  Such a deal.  Can't lose at that price."  Give the parent her gosh-darned dime back.  Oh, gee.  After reading the story, I found that the parents aren't planning to throw away the comic book or return it.  This is a complaint with no teeth behind it.

Number 2:  What did the twelve year old think?  The child giggled.

Number 3:  Has anyone ever seen a cover to Tarot : Witch of the Black Rose?  Some mature notices are necessary, but not here, based upon Babs' review.

Number 4:  Does this mom wear turtle necks to prevent showing a bustline?  No.  Does she wear shirts, pants, or dresses twenty sizes larger than her body everywhere she goes so that her bustline and body isn't provocative to the twelve year old boys in her community?  No. Judging from the image, I'd say she wasn't thinking about her appearance when the reporter snapped that photo.  If she'd leaned forward just a little more, a billion pre-teens would have gotten an eyeful.

#74 Posted by MoonKnightFan123 (271 posts) - - Show Bio

Get a rating system DC!! cmon now no rating system?

#75 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@DMC said:
" I agree with you, but the comic industry should take some responsibility as well. Though it is the parents fault for assuming that comics are relatively safe, a little warning to help them out wouldn't hurt. With a rating in place parents will have absolutely no excuse for not knowing about the material they are purchasing. Last time I checked there was a rating system in place has, it been removed? And what was she so upset about in that comic anyway? "
DC might as well put up the rating system just for people like this who b#tch and whine.It's not like ratings will effect comics sales because most people who buy comics are grown anyway.I can honestly say I have tons of comics and I just noticed that Marvel had a rating system.It won't help or hurt them in anyway so they might as well do it.
#76 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

I just went through the issue, no nudity, just naked people fighting...People need to grow up. Would you rather have you and your child stand in front of a naked man, just hanging out (no pun intended), or you and your child watching someone go on a shooting spree?

Staff
#77 Edited by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats funny though is that Comic books for the last 3 decades aren't for kids under the age of 13(12 maybe). But I don't understand how certain people can't understand that at all....

#78 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs:

Where's our cookies Babs?
Babs, how could you?

#79 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Calvin said:
" @Babs:

Babs, how could you? "

:D Here you go. MUAH! :D

#80 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Calvin said:
" @Babs:

Babs, how could you? "

"

#81 Posted by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
"@Calvin said:
" @Babs:

Babs, how could you? "

"
Disgusting, They all were spit on.
#82 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lantern Prime: What?
#83 Posted by aouric (188 posts) - - Show Bio
@WonderBoy1132: Well said Wonderboy... Well said!
#84 Posted by jloneblackheart (5507 posts) - - Show Bio

I have so many opinions it would take too long to let them all out. I say, go ahead and put a rating system on comics if they think it will help, I don't think I'll be getting carded.

#85 Posted by HellionVulcan (3737 posts) - - Show Bio

Kids see worse things on Tv then in comics any way guess but ive never found any material in comics offensive even when i was a kid but alot of parents these days just over react to alot of things .

#86 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@HellionVulcan said:
" Kids see worse things on Tv then in comics any way guess but ive never found any material in comics offensive even when i was a kid but alot of parents these days just over react to alot of things . "
Parents like these don't ever think of that.
#87 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27112 posts) - - Show Bio

God the old rating systems thing... Parents just need to get off their a$$ and look at what their kids are reading and monitor it.

I call it lazy parenting

#88 Posted by xhonzi (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say DC finally got the controversy they were looking for.  Come on, why else would you do an issue like this unless it's to create a controversy that will get you some free publicity.  It took a little while, but maybe it paid off?

#89 Posted by Webstad (275 posts) - - Show Bio

They way I see it, kids these days see worse in real everyday life than what's printed in comics (and then there's what's on TV...). Really, in this day and age, who cares? These kids are gonna be reading/seeing FAR worse when they get older anyhow. Why prevent the inevitable? The kid in this instance is 12, so chances are he know what sex is (I got that talk from my parents when I was like 10), and was exposed to more adult-oriented material at that age, and now, looking back on it, I don't think I turned out any different than those who were sheltered at that age. The only difference is that I'm not a prude like those sheltered kids. If kids are desensitized to graphic material (which there really wasn't any in that particular case) then it's really not a big deal later on in life. I think that parents are over protective. Maybe a rating system would help DC's case, maybe not. There's nothing legit to be offended by in a comic (unless you're a total prude and live a sheltered life, but then, why are you advocating comics to your child if that's the case, knowing that they're going to be a bit mature in content anyhow). DC (and any other comic for that matter) is intended for mature readers anyhow, and has a KIDS line for younger audience. This a simple case of spilling your Timmies coffee and suing Timmies because you're an idiot and lack common sense.

#90 Posted by Emerald Warrior (182 posts) - - Show Bio
@Storm Rider:
ONE WORD: HYPOCRISY!  Its "conservative" people like these parents, that get shocked at the slightest sexual innuendo seen in any media, that turn out to be closet case porn-addicts, rapists, and predators...

Be a little more open minded, id say to those folks, and not  so spuriously uptight...

of course, it this was publicity for the "heroes convention" then i must say: WELL DONE! if we're talking about it here, well...it obviously worked!
#91 Posted by Storm Rider (166 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emerald Warrior said:
" @Storm Rider: ONE WORD: HYPOCRISY!  Its "conservative" people like these parents, that get shocked at the slightest sexual innuendo seen in any media, that turn out to be closet case porn-addicts, rapists, and predators... Be a little more open minded, id say to those folks, and not  so spuriously uptight... of course, it this was publicity for the "heroes convention" then i must say: WELL DONE! if we're talking about it here, well...it obviously worked! "
 The term conservative, in the parlance of our media, typically denotes a political ethos. This was uptight religious (self)righteousness, if anything other than an attempt to garner attention. I pretty much boiled it down to the catch-all of "idiots" to simplify the subject. However, it's not anyone's business to tell these people to loosen up, any more than it is theirs to tell you to what to read or how to act. We can't have it both ways here (tell them how to act, but don't like them doing the same.).
#92 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

A universal rating system sounds like an easy solution to this problem

#93 Posted by sanit123 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

A rating system would be better for people to sovle problems and at the end you can find the best fo the best my rates and starategy
its a great solution for anything.

#94 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5429 posts) - - Show Bio

Parents just need to screen (ie page thru some things) for their kids, espesialy if it has a well indowed woman in a ripped costume on the cover.  They didn't catch that?
Political, conservative, religious, what ever if you're buying a comic with a cover like that, there just may be something you don't want your 10 year old seeing in it check it out.
This keeps up they will just tighten up the regulations again, the CCA was created for a reason and Marvel already left it :(

#95 Posted by ENGLENTINE (450 posts) - - Show Bio

Parents ( and I am one ) are actually not strict enough these days.
Some parents have been duped into thinking their children need their own lives. They give them cell phones that arent checked or computers in their room without getting passwords.  I am not talking about 16-18 year olds, although they still need supervision, but young kids elementary and junior high age that should be watched.
 This family may seem strict but in fact what they did shows very little discipline. Plenty of misguidedness. We assume hypocrasy, but we do not know what tv rights these kids have.
  As far as the comic book. They should have waited until next year. It would be an election year, and a bigger deal would have been made of it. For now this will pass. Remember the controversy over Kraven killing himself round about two decades ago. Nope, niether does any one else.

#96 Posted by Ben Doverand Taykit (434 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually it was slightly suggestive. See:

#97 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe it should be nolan's 3rd batman movie.

#98 Posted by MercenaryX (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Then they aren't parents.

#99 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

i kinda think thats dumb, its getting old im sick of the crappy war between parents and the contents found in comics everyone with a brain stem knows that some comics aren't even made for 10 year olds i know stan lee never made his comics for the infantile back in the day so get over it you old and unhip sons of Batches

@Ben Doverand Taykit: holy crap!!! batgirls nude!!!!

#100 Posted by Levian (7 posts) - - Show Bio

what is the story why are they naked ??

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.