Old DC universe help

#1 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Before the relaunch I was a Marvel/Vertigo guy, however after reading almost every number one this past month I am now more than ever interested in DC. I understand that DC has a much more convoluted history that Marvel, first I would like someone to explain DC over just the past 10 years just so I understand how it works. I am also now interested in picking up some older DC TPB. I already plan on picking up secret six and some of the old GL stuff, but is there anything over the past several years worth picking up? I am more of a writer guy, so even if I don't like the character if the writing is good I will most likely enjoy it. The Bat universe does interest me, not so much Batman him self but the side characters, however I still am open to good Batman stories. Snider's run in detective comics interests me, just because he along with Rick Remender are by far my favorite writers, but I herd that just picking up his run would be confusing. I would like to start reading the bat universe around when Red Hood emerges, because his character interests me. All that said could I get some help on these topics and some suggestions on some good old DCU Runs/Series and why you liked them? Thanks!!

#2 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#3 Posted by Johnslamby (149 posts) - - Show Bio

I highly recommend secret six because of the comics interesting characters and superb plot and Jonah hex comics always is a good read in my opinion.

#4 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya I for sure am picking up secret six. I enjoyed All star western so i may give Jonah hex a shot

#5 Posted by Johnslamby (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Also flashpoint and blackest night I really enjoyed

#6 Posted by GamerGeek360 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're looking for Batman trades, Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, and Long Halloween are all great. I own all 3 and love them. Killing Joke is one I still have yet to pick up, but if you like the Joker, get it. As for around the Red Hood, there's always the Batman: Under the Hood trade, Batman: A Death in the Family, or Nightwing: Brothers in Blood. I haven't read any of those yet, but I'll probably pick the first two up. Not a big fan of Nightwing, personally so I don't know about the third one.

I too would love to get some GL trades since I didn't start reading anything about GL until The New 52, so any suggestions by anyone for those would be awesome for me as well.

#7 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

@GamerGeek360 said:

If you're looking for Batman trades, Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, and Long Halloween are all great. I own all 3 and love them. Killing Joke is one I still have yet to pick up, but if you like the Joker, get it. As for around the Red Hood, there's always the Batman: Under the Hood trade, Batman: A Death in the Family, or Nightwing: Brothers in Blood. I haven't read any of those yet, but I'll probably pick the first two up. Not a big fan of Nightwing, personally so I don't know about the third one.

I too would love to get some GL trades since I didn't start reading anything about GL until The New 52, so any suggestions by anyone for those would be awesome for me as well.

Ya i have two of those trades and really enjoyed them , around when was the last jumping on point for Batman, was it around the Under the Hood arc?

#8 Posted by GamerGeek360 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pbott said:

@GamerGeek360 said:

Ya i have two of those trades and really enjoyed them , around when was the last jumping on point for Batman, was it around the Under the Hood arc?

That I don't know. That seems like a good jumping on point, but maybe Morrison's Return of Bruce Wayne trade. I don't really know. I didn't jump on until January so I'm not the best one to ask really.

#9 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who will actually suggest the Hush for Batman? You will find a lot of interesting elements concerning his villains. I think you'll enjoy it. Why don't you read the Death of Superman (or the complete saga the Death and Return of Superman)? You'll love the story! One guy told you about the Long Halloween etc. Perfect plot.

#10 Posted by JLAsuperdude (170 posts) - - Show Bio

You're defiantly gonna want to start with GL:Rebirth, if you're new to the mythos. It explains everything really well, and is a great jumping on point for anyone. It sets up all the current plotlines. After Rebirth, you can start going in order of the trades, or skip to The Sinestro Corps War. This is one of the best GL storyarcs, and also give you some insight on Sinestro, the current GL. After this you could go to Rage of the Red Lanterns, and Agent Orange, or skip to Blackest Night. Hope this Helps! -OUTLAW-

#11 Posted by JLAsuperdude (170 posts) - - Show Bio

And also, liek Phaedruser said, I would also recommend Hush to all those other trades. IT'S GREAT!

#12 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright cool thanks, Anyone know the last good jumping on point to legion b4 the new 52?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.