Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Off My Mind: The Mystery Woman in DC's 'New 52' is One of These Two Characters

• 135 results
    bayushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By bayushi

I love how WildCats and The Authority are now part of the DC Universe. Woooooooooooo

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By DEGRAAF

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

In all truth I thought she may have been Destiny of the Endless for a moment. But that cannot be because she has not put anyone through any trials yet like Destiny did to Superman in the eighties. I do see how this could be Time Trapper though I will point out that the way she's drawn in some of the other pictures shows that there's maybe more than one Controller/TT in the mix here. In all honesty I'm a little humbled to admit that I had not noticed this mysterious figure before in the New 52 titles I have thus gotten, but in all fairness I also have not even touched one bit of Flashpoint thus far (economic reasons). I see this Time Trapper connection as a plausible theory here. But here is something that I'm also going to put out there in addition to my above assertion of Destiny; is it possible that who we are looking at with regard to all these strange appearances is indeed the Over-Monitor? I recall we have only heard of this entity in words only and that it has never been drawn before. But is it possible that this character is the Monitor-Prime/Over-Monitor over which all existence in the DCU was created, in effect making this character "The One Above All" for DC's multiverse? That's are my two theories...either its Destiny or the Monitor-Prime. Great article though!

according to Nix page they named the new prime monitor during final crisis. Hermuz.

Godwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Godwulf

She was talking about an impending arrival. Is she preparing them for the same thing the villain in Stormwatch is talking about?

GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#54  Edited By GraveSp

what it could be is just a way to get people take time to look at the art in the new DC books. I know if I have read an issue and didn't notice her I go back and reread paying more attention to the art.

Avatar image for the_nightwalker
    the_nightwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By the_nightwalker

very nice article, in depth, well-thought out. another site said it was the Crimson Cowl and there would be a DC/MARVEL cross-over, never mind that there was no collaborating evidence. kudos!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Her color scheme reminds me of the amalgram saga where the two godlike brothers (one red and one blue) combined when the DC and Marvel universe combined. 

however she appears to have a similar aloft personality to that of Kismet/Ahti. This would not disappoint me nor the idea that the Wildstorm, Vertigo and DC universe were at one point a merged reality, got split intentionally and now because of Barry's actions have re-combined to their original state. At least this iis my understanding of things though I was a bit confused by Stormwatch in terms of Apollo fighting Superman at some point so I'll have to reread that again. 

but as I said I don't think the idea of the 3 having been the same originally, split, and now reformed is a bad one and keeps the company theme of simplicity going for these characters to all be from the same Earth vice different ones. Plus it appears that the next major event is going to have some pretty tough baddies if they were able to split a timeline into 3. 
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Bestostero

I'm dying to KNOWWWWWWW! lol

Great theories though,all of them are plausible...and I also believe once this is resolved/or the new 52 doesn't do well, they can revert it back to the original timeline. They always were careful with word use of "relaunch" and not use "reboot".

PScully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By PScully

I dunno...Harbinger or Donna Troy?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could this be Raven?

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Maybe she is a character just there to usher in the new 52 like you say, maybe she is like the Amalgam guy when DC merged with Marvel and this Access guy was introduced for the same reason. Maybe she will eventually just be a mystical character like DC's Watcher, someone who shows up when things are important.

Or maybe she is being used to subtly establish that the New 52 is still not the correct timeline for the Flash, just in case fans are unhappy DC can use her appearance and say that this wasn't the right timeline and she was there the whole time to prove it. Flash left Flashpoint and ran into the New 52, but still isn't home yet. Remember when Age of Apocalypse happened and all the titles changed. And, even though creators are saying this is for real, remember how everyone kept real quite about who Ras was in Batman Begins, even making a Ras al Ghul toy and sculpture of the wrong guy. Or when Sentry was created they all said that he was a Stan Lee creation that was lost, eventually revealing that was a lie. Or, if people do like the new 52 she will be there to usher in the new 52 like normal.

I don't know enough about DC's mystical characters to know if she has appeared before, but I am pretty sure she isn't the Time Trapper, unless they are re-establishing that character too... which they could do.

It is funny how her appearances in these panels has gone unnoticed for the most part, at least by me. I am very observant of the comic art, since that's my business and I buy comics for the art. I would have thought I would have noticed. Guess not.

Is it all the same character? In some panels she looks different, like she could be a man, but that could be the different artists, or trying to make her look inconspicuous and blend in with the background.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By gmanfromheck

@ArtisticNeedham said:

Is it all the same character? In some panels she looks different, like she could be a man, but that could be the different artists, or trying to make her look inconspicuous and blend in with the background.

Maybe:

grifter78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 159

#62  Edited By grifter78

"but I don't buy that we're supposed to believe these three publishers were always supposed to have existed in the same timeline." Why not? With everything else they're changing, there's nothing to argue that this isn't true.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By danhimself

good article but I don't understand the guessing of the realities that were merged....it shows the DC, Vertigo, and Wildstorm universes merging in the very first pic of the article....so why the further guessing?

also I don't think the Legion has anything to do with it....after Legion Lost #1 we pretty much know that the Legion has always been aware of Flashpoint and that Legion of Superheroes has actually been taking place in the DCnU all this time

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@DEGRAAF said:

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

In all truth I thought she may have been Destiny of the Endless for a moment. But that cannot be because she has not put anyone through any trials yet like Destiny did to Superman in the eighties. I do see how this could be Time Trapper though I will point out that the way she's drawn in some of the other pictures shows that there's maybe more than one Controller/TT in the mix here. In all honesty I'm a little humbled to admit that I had not noticed this mysterious figure before in the New 52 titles I have thus gotten, but in all fairness I also have not even touched one bit of Flashpoint thus far (economic reasons). I see this Time Trapper connection as a plausible theory here. But here is something that I'm also going to put out there in addition to my above assertion of Destiny; is it possible that who we are looking at with regard to all these strange appearances is indeed the Over-Monitor? I recall we have only heard of this entity in words only and that it has never been drawn before. But is it possible that this character is the Monitor-Prime/Over-Monitor over which all existence in the DCU was created, in effect making this character "The One Above All" for DC's multiverse? That's are my two theories...either its Destiny or the Monitor-Prime. Great article though!

according to Nix page they named the new prime monitor during final crisis. Hermuz.

Hmmmm true I remember Hermuz...but I don't know if the Prime-Monitor and the Over-Monitor are the same entity...

Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By Benzo

Donna Troy maybe? ;)

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MetropolisKid41
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By TheMess1428

I believe there have been mentions of the status quo of the DCU will return after a couple years so this chick might be leading up to some big event that fixes everything.

Avatar image for capitolpunishment
    CapitolPunishment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it could be possible that she is the female Monitor from Final crisis but I'm leaning towards something else.

Perhaps she may be the new agent created by the Presence to not only fill the roll of the Spectre (who was killed off in the last JLA story arc) but she may represent more aspects of the Presence, more than just the vengeance part. It may be possible the Presence, after the Spectre's death felt it was time for a new agent to represent him in all of his glory. Just speculation but possible.

drumguyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By drumguyrob

I'm going out on a limb, and saying this is an entirely new character(s). So far, the relaunch is working (and I'm glad it is), but DC obviously has some kind of big moment they're planning to really make it blow up.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By MetropolisKid41
    @CapitolPunishment said:

I think it could be possible that she is the female Monitor from Final crisis but I'm leaning towards something else.

Perhaps she may be the new agent created by the Presence to not only fill the roll of the Spectre (who was killed off in the last JLA story arc) but she may represent more aspects of the Presence, more than just the vengeance part. It may be possible the Presence, after the Spectre's death felt it was time for a new agent to represent him in all of his glory. Just speculation but possible.

I must be remembering the Eclipso story wrong, but I thought Eclipso killing the Spectre was part of the illusion that Eclipso had won after the JLA managed to convince The Shade to free himself of Eclipso's hold. I'm at work and don't have the issue handy, but that was how I was remembering it, but I could be wrong.
    RichyRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By RichyRich

I thought the three splintered time lines described in Flashpoint #5 were the regular DCU, the Flashpoint, and the DCnU. And I know events are getting to be really lame, but I'm interested in seeing the first big event (tie ins included) that pulls all DCnU characters into the big battle. But i'm feeling like the big event after that would be DCU vs DCnU

Avatar image for deactivated-649a95712285a
    deactivated-649a95712285a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think those pictures of people behind her in Flashpoint are just Wildstorm Vertigo and then a combination of the three (wildstorm, vertigo, and dcu). I DO however think "Their impending arrival" means some kind of big baddy coming our way. Woot!

jerfro23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By jerfro23
    @Mr. Kamikaze said:

She's a contingency...in case the New 52 fails...they'll just use this mysterious woman to go back to the way things were. :P

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By JonesDeini

@Mr. Kamikaze said:

She's a contingency...in case the New 52 fails...they'll just use this mysterious woman to go back to the way things were. :P

Yup

cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By cagedleo730

I have a question to those that think she's an escape clause: What are they returning to? The previous DC was hemorraging readers. If they hemorrage readers again, another reboot will just be delaying the inevitable.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GREGalicious

Dont wanna jump to conclusions as to who this woman is, but those random "where's waldo" appearances do make me interested in knowing more about her...

kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By kimeraevet

Are the Wildstorm children of the Orb still around? Maybe it is Providence, she looked like a pink version of Void with a pinkish hooded cloak around her.

Xaviersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Xaviersx

She's a get out of jail card . . . whether in a year or several . . .

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By difficlus

When was the last time you created a pocket universe?: lol get real g-Man

as for this bleh, just some foreshadowing i guess. soon another universe shattering event will come and rectons along with it ala Infinite or Final Crisis or something like that

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#80  Edited By kagato

I have most of these issues and only noticed her in Justice League lol, i wonder if she is going to be in every issue or if they are building some big event for next year that brings the teams together to battle some evil greater than all of their foes combined..

DarthLydia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By DarthLydia

Wow.. DC has gotten so pathetic now they have to steal ideas from TV? (i.e. Fringe)

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

i have found her in every book so far!!!! it is like where's waldo!

Wolverine0628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#83  Edited By Wolverine0628

This might be crazy, but I'm hoping for Harbinger.

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
    blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By blueninjapanther

I think she's a time traveler or mother of time who watches people live their life. She can be god watching people but won't interact with anyone who is hurt or something.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#85  Edited By Darkmount1
    @cagedleo730
    I thought the big DC execs kept saying that there was no contingency plan.
    shiftplusone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By shiftplusone

What about glorith? She used to maintain the dimensions for the time trapper, maybe she's taken over?

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#87  Edited By The Impersonator

So the question is...when this new 52 timeline be fixed? Or will it ever be fixed at all?

Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#88  Edited By Kato

I thought that the "three timelines" referred to the original DCU, the Flashpoint Universe, and the DCnU or another universe containing elements of it. Those were the three shown during the Strange Woman's first appearance.

VagrantSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#89  Edited By VagrantSaint

Does anyone remember a very similar woman appearing at the very end of Zero Hour back in the early 90's? I do. Another possibility if you ask me.

fedykin87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By fedykin87

She is interesting and it seems so far that only Superboy has 'sensed' her out of everyone so far.

inviskid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#91  Edited By inviskid

All this talk of female Time Trappers and nobody's brought up Glorith of Baaldur yet? Not to mention the Glorith in the Legion Academy (she of mysterious origins)?

jukeboxheroabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By jukeboxheroabc

@RichyRich: DCU v DCnU... I like it. It could end with Prime coming back and The DCnU Superboy and DCU Superboy fighting him and also involve Barry having to choose which side to be on.

justafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By justafan

what a creeper/(creepers)

MisterParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By MisterParker

Dang, how'd I miss her while reading Batwing? Hmm, mysterious and inconspicuous...

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    thephantomstranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cagedleo730 said:

I have a question to those that think she's an escape clause: What are they returning to? The previous DC was hemorraging readers. If they hemorrage readers again, another reboot will just be delaying the inevitable.

Barbra Gordon being Oracle, or at least having been Oracle...also why not have an escape clause? Casual readers wont care and it's been proven time and again that it doesn't matter what they do to the hardcore fan base so it couldn't hurt.

Also my biggest fear is that she isn't a contingency and that she kick starts a new massive event like all the others that puts the new casual crowd off entirely thus making all of this pointless...which means it will probably happen. Everyone sucks at everything ever seems to be the MO of the world these days...

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Or35ti

This is awesome, DC's next event better be sick and I'm sure it will be :) I had forgotten all about Weeja Dell, that's a really cool theory.

ashfire280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ashfire280

i thought the 3 timelines ment the golden age, the silver age, and the modern age of comics.

insanepayne6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By insanepayne6

Rama Kushna

DynamoGundam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By DynamoGundam

Wherein that I could see why a lot of people could say Vertigo is the third universe added (especially by the pic of the universes merging) every single one of those characters started as part of mainstream DCU. Most as members of Swamp Thing's cast. I honestly think Milestone is the third universe added. The Milestone universe was tentatively added near the end of the previous run and the disruption caused by Barry has obviously shaken that hold. The Living Tribunal reference is a possibility with the following three beings in mind: Dharma (Milestone), Void (Wildstorm) and Kismet (DC) merged as a new being akin to a Monitor and probably referenced as Harbinger. Each of those people have been the guardian/caretaker representative of their respective universe. Crowncoke mentioned it could be Providence in Void's place which is also a possibility and that could help explain the new changes that appear to be the case with Captain Atom and Firestorm. She was the cause of the disruption with Captain Atom during the Armageddon storyline.

webling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100  Edited By webling

@gangly said:

@uroboros: The shot of "her" with long fingers is in Resurrection Man #1. I put "her" in quotes because I agree that the character looks male in some drawings. Could this be a whole team, or even race, of pink glowy people who like to stand around in comics?!

Captain Fingers in all her/his glory
    Captain Fingers in all her/his glory

Unless those fingers are a mistake (which would be pretty unforgivable), it's a really important characteristc, and would possibly rule out a new Time Trapper or Monitor. It does seem like we're seeing more of this character (closer, full body shots) this week as opposed to last, so maybe we'll slowly be given more info to figure out who this person is as the weeks go on.

For now, my bet's on a pink version of this guy.

I don't think those are fingers. It looks like she/he/it has some fabric enclosed in a fist thus you get the wrinkles in the fabric shown above. Also in her other appearances I saw no sign of extra-long fingers, so I'm doubtful on that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.