Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Off My Mind: How Much of DC Heroes' History is Lost With 'The New 52'?

• 121 results
    theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By theicon

Doc Emmit L Brown to marty mcfly ........"GREAT SCOTTS Marty! This new time paradox for DC comics is a result of copyright trademark issues,due to the futures events of 2012,by the energies of the space time continuum resulting in anti-flux capacity altering everything" Doc Brown

"Doc doc, whoooa english, what are you saying" Marty M

"Think the new star trek , at some point in time, events from the future met the past and altered the reality , remember what happend in back to the future part 2? doc

"yea, sort of , i still have it on VHF" marty M

"WellGood its the same for DC comics, now a chain reaction, no comic will ever be the same, but this paradox may transition to other comic realities cause a 900 trillion gigton-nowatt expolosion-"

"DOC what the hell will that do???"

"Cause mass disappointments all over earth, " Doc

"What about the future of comics!?!?!?" marty M

"comics ,where were going we wont need comics' Doc Doc and marty Take a trip in the delorrian to a local RED BOX

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm so confused! The new 52 and having just read Zero Hour for the first time. To top it off, I read Infinite Crisis a few months ago. Just what is real and what is fiction?

Minyamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Minyamoto

I don't know how flashpoint ended, but is it possible this "new 52" is actually a result of unfinished business from flashpoint, and all the stories taking place in different times is reflecting those changes? Is it possible that Batman is the only one in the actual unchanged dc time line, and at the end of it all we'll be back to the original DC?

Also, I wonder if this is all tied into DCUO somehow, reading that BacktotheFuture comment made me remember reading awhile back that they would make a story arc with the DCUO game, and seeing as how I've only seen the trailer and it has Lex time travelling back to try to "fix" things...

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By labarith

New52 is the post Flashpoint Universe, yes!

However, even Batman's timeline changed, as DC#1 showed us.

Will we be back? Good question. I suspect in ~ 2 years, we'll be back where we were, with things "mostly back to normal" for the books that didn't work, and a mix for those that "kinda did"...

Nightwing786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Nightwing786

@chalkshark:

i think this is the best answer I've seen... i decided to start reading after COIE... and even then, Jason Todd was still Robin... but yet i read all the graphic novels and bits of dick bing robin and although i never read every story.. i knew he'd been there for a long time... i even read more of jasons stories as robin than dick bcoz he was robin when batman was rebooted (batman year one).. chalkshark is also right in the sense that no writer is really gonna care about all continuity changes... they will write the story and if continuity makes sense they'll include it.. and if it doesn't agree they'll change it... and finally yes, if a character his/her self are changed at the core.. then don't bother.. build ur own... the top and bottom is.. DC have made a leap.. it seems s bit ridiculous, but just like Crisis in 85.. over the years well just have to figure out wot did and didn't happen... READ IT LIKE ITS CARRYING ON FROM THE FOLLOWING ISSUES BEFORE FLASHPOINT UNTIL THE BOOK SAY OTHERWISE... for example.. cassandra cain the old batgirl is part of batman inc.. if she is still there when batman inc comes back.. then when babs was in a wheelchair she was batgirl.. same with this barbara being shot 3 years ago.. everything oracle happened within three years... thats the best we can do as a compromise.. if she meets black canary and she's like oh nice to meet u.. then u retcon the birds of prey... crap i know but its the best way..

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#106  Edited By lorex

For some reason reason even with their universe restarting 25 years ago DC could still not keep all the story lines and plots together and decided to throw away quite a bit of history and start over again. Maybe this time they can lay off all the "Blackest Crisis of Infinite Dawns" and focus on story telling and not gimmicks and events.

thiagofonseca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By thiagofonseca

Well, i'd say mcguire and giffen's JLI never happened because it took place during the cold war, and the ndcu is only 5 years old.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#108  Edited By ReVamp

@lorex said:

For some reason reason even with their universe restarting 25 years ago DC could still not keep all the story lines and plots together and decided to throw away quite a bit of history and start over again. Maybe this time they can lay off all the "Blackest Crisis of Infinite Dawns" and focus on story telling and not gimmicks and events.

lol.

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By GrimoireMyst

There are things I would like left untouched like Wonder Woman snapping Max Lord's neck which to this day I still fully agree with.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#110  Edited By Trodorne

Best thing you can do as a reader of the new 52. think of this as a condensed universe taking 50 some years of the universe and cutting out the fat of those old continuities and taking the critical character stories that really mattered. but at the same time changing somethings like supermans marriage. but im thinking things like infinite crisis or Crisis on Infinite Earths might have happened.

what seems to be the focus right now is telling good character stories that is needed right now.

_Knightwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By _Knightwing

OK Folks. Need to get over this now, whoop-dee-do, there's a reboot. Ok... Moving on...
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#112  Edited By Shadowdoggy

I don't think any of their histories is "lost" 
    it's just not the history of the heroes in this timeline/reality 
    it still exists as history 
    history is just amassed information, it doesn't have to be a tangible thing  
    CosmicGod432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By CosmicGod432

See I think a reboot (relaunch, whatever) should have all the new 52 series starting at the time. So instead of having some comics like "batgirl #1"start in present and others like "justice league #1" start five years ago they should have all the comics start back in time and then make a jump for the future together. Right now I am just along for the ride. I'm going to be reading "action comics", "detective comics", "superman", "batman", and maybe "green lantern".

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyones ever seen the series "Damages" with Glenn Close.. U'll get an idea what their tryna do...&I thonk its very brave &ambitious of them to do so.. In a time where comics are a thinly veiled attempt to line Disneys pockets... some creativity b& bMYSTERY is bein re-injected into the artform... I for one cant wait to see what the new sagas will unfold.. Afterall.. THATS THE WHOLE POINT ISNT IT?

EugeneSaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By EugeneSaxe

Does it matter? "This" continuity will be changed FOREVER! within a year.

dawsey28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By dawsey28

As usual, I will do a "wait and see" approach.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By saoakden

I'm still lost on what has happened. I read the new Justice League comic & was surprised that Darkseid was mentioned. Last I checked, I thought he died durning the Final Crisis. So did Flashpoint change it to where he didn't die? & How much of the characters history was kept? Like if most of Batman's storylines were kept are in tack, then what happened to Superman's apperance in the storylines that he made in apperance in? I'm so confused about this.

gotham244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By gotham244

Well you have to think about all the comic book history, Crisis on Infinite Earths,Infinite Crisis,Final Night,etc.. because its not just resetting 52,it's resetting Batman,Superman, and Green Lantern's(etc) history story arcs that happened during JLA...This might not be a good idea...
    gotham244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By gotham244
    @saoakden
    but isn't  Darkseid the reason for the whole Bruce Wayne The Road Home story arc
    falor3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By falor3

The worst thing is that the writers have worked SO LONG on the current story, just to see it being thrown away for this.

BigBDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#121  Edited By BigBDawg

@falor3: You win the Internet!

AdamantAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By AdamantAdam

@niamahai said:

i want to see WW and Bats getting it on like how they were meant to be.

Damn right.

maelevikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By maelevikus

i'd rather have seen Abin Sur take the lead. Have DC stretch out Abin Sur a lot more before meeting up with Hal Jordan. As to seeing Sinestro as a green lantern.

TirioAn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#124  Edited By TirioAn

Look at the "New 52" from my perspective. I have read Kingdom Come, watched live action and animated DC based shows, read The Death of Superman novel adaption and seen many movies with known characters. But every time I came across a book or trade I would shy away. Why? Because the book would be, say, number 853 or the trade would say collecting #s 250 through 256. That scared me away as a reader because there was so much I wasn't sure to know. Now with the potential of getting to know these characters from less cluttered histories and I will be buying about 20 or so books of the 52 on a regular basis.

Sure, they will scare some regulars away. But if a regular stops buying DC because of this, then there could have easily been something else that would have done so. And not every book put out will make it. I'm almost positive O.M.A.C. will die in three issues. But giving new readers a chance to start nearer the beginning with a character will draw them in. And that's what DC was looking to do.

SIngli6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#125  Edited By SIngli6

Why can't they just launch a clean reboot?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.