Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

New to DC and looking for reading suggestions

cabales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cabales

Hi, I'm pretty much brand new to DC and I'm looking for reading suggestions. I tend to like darkier and grittier story lines and characters, but I'm not very familiar with DC's stable of heroes and villians. I know I like Batman and I know I'm not interested in Superman or Wonder Woman. Other than that I'm at a loss. I'm not looking for new stuff necessarily it can be old. Access to the comics is not an issue and neither is age or volume of reading material. Any suggestions on characters or teams I should check out?

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Larkin1388

@cabales: I suggest the New 52 Suicide Squad and The New 52 Aquaman.

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Afro_Warrior

@cabales: For DC i'd second the Suicide Squad recommendation. I don't really think their are any true dark and gritty books being published by DC at the moment (i mean Punisher dark). All of DC's 'dark' books are more about violence and great action scenes then gritty anti-hero story lines.

Ignoring that though, i'd suggest Detective Comics, Aquaman and Demon Knights/Batwing.

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mayo88m

@cabales

Birds of Prey - It is surprisingly good. Really liking the characters in it, especially Starling who is new to the DC universe. One of my favorite comics so far.

Suicide Squad - It's good too, but it's more of a fun read for me.

Batwoman - Also surprisingly good, and the art in it is amazing so far.

Red Hood and the Outlaws - People are screaming about the characterizations in this, but it really is a great book I think, and has a lot of potential. Plus the way Roy and Jason take jabs at one another is hilarious.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By jsphsmth

If you like dark, then look at the solicits for DCs Edge and Dark titles. I have enjoyed them all except Deathstroke. Dark and gritty usually equates to street-level heroes, so look at any of the Batman group also. There are plenty of previews online that can help you narrow down your focus.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Larkin1388

@Afro_Warrior: I would agree. Aquaman isnt really so dark but it is getting pretty gritty fast lol.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Superguy0009e

Blue Beetle isnt bad, Batman and the Flash are REALLY good

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fury714

Action Comics, Batman, Aquaman, Flash, Nightwing, Justice League and Green lantern for top picks :D honorable mentions are Suicide Squad, Batwoman :D

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Or35ti

Justice League, The Flash, Action Comics, Batman, Green Lantern and Stormwatch are what I've been buying and they've all been really great so far! :)

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By soccersss

@cabales:

I'd recommend you check out all the books from the Batfamily: Batman of course, Detective Comics, Catwoman, Nightwing, Batgirl if you are looking for darker stories. Each of those books have been good so far. You can also check out Suicide Squad, Although its more of a fun read it does get gritty at times

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Well there has just been a reboot for Dc. So everything went back to issue 1. So, maybe you should pick up Justice League, Swamp Thing, Action Comics, and maybe Batman. They have 52 new series so there are some Dark series and especially some series with Superman,Wonder Woman, and Batman. I am sure you will find some good ones you will enjoy

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maystack

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've been looking at Suicide Squad and Grifter, but I've got mixed reviews of both. Are they particular good for new readers or are they reliant on prior knowledge?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Billy Batson

the new Animal Man, the Vertigo series was great too.
    BB

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By the_tree

Dark & Gritty eh?

I suggest Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Batman, Grifter, Batwing, and Justice League Dark.

Pbott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pbott

@The_Tree said:

Dark & Gritty eh?

I suggest Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Batman, Grifter, Batwing, and Justice League Dark.

Animal Man and Swamp Thing for, the are the two best books of the new 52. Dont over look Wonder Woman, i dont care for her ether but the book is awesome

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#16  Edited By The Impersonator

@Larkin1388 said:

@cabales: I suggest the New 52 Suicide Squad and The New 52 Aquaman.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By jsphsmth

@Maystack: They are complete reboots. No knowledge of the previous incarnations is required. In fact it would probably hinder you.

Pbott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pbott

Well I can give you a list of books that i would stay away from: Hawk and dove, JLI, Suicide Squad, Black Hawks, Both legion books, Men at War, Superman, Detective Comics (its not the worst book, but the writing is subpar and it just ruins other great bat books like: Batman Batman and Robin, Batwoman, and Nightwing. This is of course my opinion, but the majority of these books i just find bland, not because of the character ( because any character can become interesting if written well) its just that the writing is bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.