New DC Universe: What's up with the tattoos?

• 92 results
Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not something that bothered me, but it is something I noticed with some of the new designs. Seems like they're going with some tattoo's for the new designs. Personally I kind of like it except for the Superboy one, it looks more like it's been branded than an actual tattoo. I do like that Mr. Terrific one.

#1 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Walk around outside a bit. They're quite popular these days.

#2 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18823 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe a character has been made into a tattoo artist and tattooed a few super heroes? :P

#3 Edited by okayla (102 posts) - - Show Bio

I just don't understand how you Tattoo Kryptonian Skin --  Wouldn't it just reject and force the ink out?

Provided you magically had a needle which could penetrate their skin in the first place?

#4 Posted by IrishX (2306 posts) - - Show Bio
@okayla: I asked the same thing about Supergirl's tattoo and was told they used Kryptonite ink. Not sure if that's true or even could be true but I guess it's a theory. 
#5 Posted by pikahyper (11490 posts) - - Show Bio

Like most things DC is jumping on the bandwagon ages behind society, tattoo's have been popular for ages now.

#6 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes them look edgy and extreme... 

Also: 

The New Birds of Prey
#7 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Jersey Shore baby!!

#8 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Off topic: I don't much like Poison Ivy's new look.

#9 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

me neither

#10 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg: Already said I liked them, but it's just something that i noticed with the new designs since i didn't say many before in the DC Universe.

@cosmo111687: Good one, I missed that one! =)

@King Quisling: Yup, me neither. She's too covered up now, looking sexy was a big part of her character to me.
#11 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a fan with any of those characters with tattoos.

#12 Posted by Rudyftw (987 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't stand alot of things here: 

Superboys tattoo 

Poison Ivy not showing skin 

Black Canary's whole look 

Starfire in The Outlaws

#13 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aiden Cross said:
@fodigg: Already said I liked them, but it's just something that i noticed with the new designs since i didn't say many before in the DC Universe. 
I wasn't accusing you of being anti-tattoo, I'm just saying that it makes sense that there'd be more of them after a revamp considering there are more of them IRL, so to speak.
#14 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg: Oh I agree competely lol =)  

Still, Superboy's tattoo looks like it's been branded to me...
#15 Edited by VprVnmSRT10 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Just my opinion. Isnt Superboy a genetically engineered clone of Superman and Lex? So wouldn't that "branded" tattoo make more sense? Sort of like barcoded product at the supermarket!! They could use that "barcode" or "branding" to keep track of their experiment.

#16 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio

more barcode-ish than branded in my opinion

#17 Posted by The Stegman (23058 posts) - - Show Bio

MY question is...where's Tattooed Man???

#18 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

it looks like, just in the real world, the new DCU is full of pricks and douchebags who think ink will make them cooler

#19 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy said:
it looks like, just in the real world, the new DCU is full of pricks and douchebags who think ink will make them cooler
haha i don't know who I like less the douches with the tattoos or the judgmental punks who put them down on sight. 
#20 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

@DoomDoomDoom

ok ok, I got you, you're right that was a little harsh

and don't get me wrong, I have tattoos, one of my best friends is a tattoo artists for almost 20 years now, and my boyfriend has a piece that literally goes from his neck to his navel.....but there's nothing I find more annoying than a 20 year old white kid from the suburbs who is so "extreme" and "hard" that they feel they need to have an entire sleeve or a neck tattoo... 
#21 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy: I agree with you on that, living in a military town I've seen my fair share of entry level jarheads coated in a mess of tribal. As long as the tattoo has meaning to you or significance of some sort but if you got a wild hair and walked in the parlor and picked something off the wall...I didn't mean to sound harsh towards you either.
#22 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@DoomDoomDoom

it's all good

I figured we both felt the same way about this issue and apparently we do: tattoos don't make you cooler

#23 Posted by Outside_85 (8129 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes sense with Superboy if he is an escaped science experiment making his more akin to a bar code they have to beep every once in a while to make sure he's still there. 
It doesn't make sense to wear a mask, have a secret ID (supposedly) and then have highly unique tats on your arm that you flash while super heroing. 

*I am more annoyed with Roy's ugly cap  (that shade of green does not go with the red, look up Soranik Natu) than with his tats (he's always been the bad boy so having them seems natural).

#24 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy@DoomDoomDoom:  

Why does it matter what someone else wants to do? Are you worried it will make tattoos less "special?" You know what my first tattoo was? The rebel alliance insignia from Star Wars. You know what the big meaning of it is? It was on Luke's helmet when he blew up the death star. I thought it looked cool and I got it and I still love it years later. Why isn't that enough?
#25 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg

no no, that's not my point at all

my only point is that there is a subculture being created where tattoos are a given and people get them for whatever they think having a tattoo will do for them or their public opinion, not because the image they are having tattooed on them means anything to them specifically

I guess it is a case of them becoming less special, but that's not as a big a deal to me as people getting them to be part of the "in crowd" or one of the "cool kids"

that's not a good reason to do anything that will arguably last forever

#26 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:
@Shadowdoggy@DoomDoomDoom:   Why does it matter what someone else wants to do? Are you worried it will make tattoos less "special?" You know what my first tattoo was? The rebel alliance insignia from Star Wars. You know what the big meaning of it is? It was on Luke's helmet when he blew up the death star. I thought it looked cool and I got it and I still love it years later. Why isn't that enough?
It doesn't. You like Star Wars I assume, therefor it has meaning to you. I'm talking more about people who walk in a tattoo shop with no conception of what they want and just randomly pick something off the wall and two years down the road they complain about it and want to get it removed.
#27 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@DoomDoomDoom

agreed!

my buddy tattooed 3 teenage girls and of the girls' mothers the other day with chicken claw marks on their backs (that they picked out when they go there, it was down to the chicken feet marks or shamrocks) they said to each other "we'll always be chicks, but we're Irish too"

yeah, good job mom, way to give your teenage daughter an embarassing story to tell her kids

I know I'm being judgy about it, but it just irks me that everyone nowadays has not only one or two tattoos, but entire sleeves, extensive back pieces and neck tattoos

it's like "really? you're all really that hard and tough? Are you all in some white kid gang? No? You're just posers who love Jersey shore? I thought so" 

#28 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy@DoomDoomDoom:  

I already sent this reply to DDD, but I'll copy it here too: 

"If [people get some random design] and complain about it then yes they should shut up and put up because they didn't take enough time to consider if they really wanted it, but just as often I meet people who complain about tattoos that they got because of "meaning." I think if you think it looks cool and want it on your body, that should be enough. You don't necessarily need meaning for a tattoo to be "legit." In fact, if something has meaning but is a poor design visually, you'd be better off with a piece of cool flashart. At least, that's my approach." 

I think the bottom line is "get something you actually like and can live with," but that doesn't necessarily require some sort of "meaning." My wife's favorite tattoos are the flower designs. She just grab ones she likes, takes them to the tattoo artist, and the artist modifies them to work well as a tattoo and gives advice on placement etc. It's all about aesthetics. 

@Shadowdoggy said:
@DoomDoomDoom

agreed!

my buddy tattooed 3 teenage girls and of the girls' mothers the other day with chicken claw marks on their backs (that they picked out when they go there, it was down to the chicken feet marks or shamrocks) they said to each other "we'll always be chicks, but we're Irish too"

yeah, good job mom, way to give your teenage daughter an embarassing story to tell her kids

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder I suppose. It sounds stupid but if it looks good on them then I don't see the problem. 

@Shadowdoggy said:
@DoomDoomDoom

I know I'm being judgy about it, but it just irks me that everyone nowadays has not only one or two tattoos, but entire sleeves, extensive back pieces and neck tattoos

it's like "really? you're all really that hard and tough? Are you all in some white kid gang? No? You're just posers who love Jersey shore? I thought so" 

See, I don't like this because it implies that to have tattoos or have certain "levels" of tattoos you have to be worthy of them. You have to be a part of the right "scene" or you're a "poser." I call BS on that. People of all types are getting all types of tattoos because they like them. That should be acceptable.
#29 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio

I just recommend to anyone who wants a tattoo think about it hard and sit on the idea for a couple days at the very least.  
I don't know really no people who get tattoos to be in the "in" crowd, but I do know people who refuse to get them so they are not associated with that "in" crowd.
Images and symbols carry meaning regardless if they have a meaning to you personally. To me I just think they should match up.

#30 Posted by KINCART (220 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would make keeping your identity a secret a bit more difficult.

#31 Posted by FalcomAdol (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, whatever.  People can do what they like, but nothing quite says desperate loser to me on first sight like a tattoo.

That doesn't mean that over time I couldn't come to like that individual, just means that my first impression is not a good one.

#32 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio
@KINCART said:
I think it would make keeping your identity a secret a bit more difficult.
good point! That hadn't even crossed my mind.

@falcomadol said:
 Eh, whatever.  People can do what they like, but nothing quite says desperate loser to me on first sight like a tattoo.  That doesn't mean that over time I couldn't come to like that individual, just means that my first impression is not a good one.

I usually wait for people to open their mouths and say something before i decide if their a loser or not. haha.
#33 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg: well, that's fair 
and I'm not trying to say you have to be a certain type of person to have tattoos, or a certain amount of tattoos 
I'm just saying that people get them to be part of the in crowd, because it's a cool thing that everyone does 
when in reality, it should be a very personal expression of something that is near and dear to you mixed with an artist's skill- not some lame rite of passage that makes you "cooler" 
#34 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

Who's the artist who did that one with Starfire, the Red Hood, and Speedy/Arsenal?

#35 Posted by TimDrakeRedRobin (357 posts) - - Show Bio

ya know what pisses me off more -.- jason wearing a bat while tim is seemingly cut off...
#36 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@TimDrakeRedRobin said:
ya know what pisses me off more -.- jason wearing a bat while tim is seemingly cut off...
At the very least, his bat should be wearing a hood.
#37 Posted by lapis2 (40 posts) - - Show Bio
I guess DC is telling us that superheroes have no personality just like all the real people who think having some one draw on them will make them more interesting.  The only cool tattoos are the ones soldiers get, like my grandpas anchor he got while serving in Korea.
#38 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

OH SNAP PAWNED lol
#39 Posted by Nyo (49 posts) - - Show Bio

New DC Universe became Top Cow Universe :p

#40 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross said:

@fodigg: Oh I agree competely lol =) Still, Superboy's tattoo looks like it's been branded to me...

It looks like a barcode. And isn't he technically a clone or at least genetically engineered? Leaves food for thought.

Moderator Online
#41 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shadowdoggy said:

I like you and I usually agree with you, but in this case I don't.

We haven't even read anything with them yet, we have no idea what the meaning or purpose is behind the tattoos. It's too early to be making judgments and rash generalizations like that.

Moderator Online
#42 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

this. 
And theyre going to be popular for some time because you cant just wash off tattoos. Theyre there for life unless you get the removed.   
But id rather see tattoos that are meaningful. Not just random tattoos. 
Apparently the Mister Terrific tattoos are part of the story.
#43 Posted by Hezekiah (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

It must be really inconvenient to have a visible tattoo if you're trying to maintain a secret identity.

#44 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aiden Cross: Definitely, way too covered up. I like my Ivy to be sexy and voluptuous. Also, this new suit makes me think of Striker from Avengers Academy.
#45 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy
@fodigg: 
@DoomDoomDoom:   

Since I was seventeen I have been debating on getting a tattoo. There have always been 3 that I've always wanted. Daffy Duck, some sort of irish symbol (and yes I am irish) and the watchers symbol from Highlander the Series.  However I'm 31 now, I have yet to get the tattoo I wanted. And at 17 I wanted the damn thing so I could be a part of the in crowd, but as the years went by I looked at tattoos as a choice by the person involved. If some white kid from the suburbs gets a tattoo, you seem to shout out that the kids a pariah all of sudden, or that he just wanted to be cool, that it has no meaning. Same was said about white kids and rap music.  But the honest truth is that tattoos have been a part of humanity for too long a time for us to label it as some sort of elitest thing, or that there has to be meaning behind it. If someone wants to put a duck on their shoulder, who the hell cares, its their body. As for the guy whose buddy is a tattoo artist, he'd be out of a job if morons weren't getting tattoos.  

As for the DC comics thing, I like the tattoo on Superboy, he's always been a reble compared to Robin or Kid Flash. Hell when he first showed up, he had pierced ears, a leather jacket, a half-shaven head and shades so cool (the future had to have been bright as hell). Yeah Roy is a bad boy, and Mr. Terrific has them now. What does it matter? If the powers that be didn't like the new changes, they wouldn't have done the DCnU.
#46 Posted by Harlekin (680 posts) - - Show Bio
@TimDrakeRedRobin said:
Should Red Robin be wearing a bat?
#47 Posted by WonderBoy1132 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

Lame.

#48 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hezekiah said:

It must be really inconvenient to have a visible tattoo if you're trying to maintain a secret identity.

Heck, it's inconvenient if you're trying to work in an office. My rule is "hidden by business casual" because I don't want to have to wear long sleeves all the time. 

@Sobe Cin said:

@Shadowdoggy: @fodigg: @DoomDoomDoom:    Since I was seventeen I have been debating on getting a tattoo. There have always been 3 that I've always wanted. Daffy Duck, some sort of irish symbol (and yes I am irish) and the watchers symbol from Highlander the Series.  However I'm 31 now, I have yet to get the tattoo I wanted. And at 17 I wanted the damn thing so I could be a part of the in crowd, but as the years went by I looked at tattoos as a choice by the person involved. If some white kid from the suburbs gets a tattoo, you seem to shout out that the kids a pariah all of sudden, or that he just wanted to be cool, that it has no meaning. Same was said about white kids and rap music.  But the honest truth is that tattoos have been a part of humanity for too long a time for us to label it as some sort of elitest thing, or that there has to be meaning behind it. If someone wants to put a duck on their shoulder, who the hell cares, its their body. As for the guy whose buddy is a tattoo artist, he'd be out of a job if morons weren't getting tattoos.   As for the DC comics thing, I like the tattoo on Superboy, he's always been a reble compared to Robin or Kid Flash. Hell when he first showed up, he had pierced ears, a leather jacket, a half-shaven head and shades so cool (the future had to have been bright as hell). Yeah Roy is a bad boy, and Mr. Terrific has them now. What does it matter? If the powers that be didn't like the new changes, they wouldn't have done the DCnU.

dude, get the tattoos. one of my dad's friends is pushing 60 and finally got this epic religious motif he's been pining after for years and loves it. It's a full shoulder fill too. I'm totally non-religious and I still think it looks totally effing awesome.  

If you've wanted it since 17, you KNOW you're not going to regret it.
#49 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

@Aiden Cross said:

@fodigg: Oh I agree competely lol =) Still, Superboy's tattoo looks like it's been branded to me...

It looks like a barcode. And isn't he technically a clone or at least genetically engineered? Leaves food for thought.

Do we already know if he's going to have the same story/origin in this new universe though?

@King Quisling: Now that you mention it, she really does lol.
#50 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio
@lapis2 said:
I guess DC is telling us that superheroes have no personality just like all the real people who think having some one draw on them will make them more interesting.  The only cool tattoos are the ones soldiers get, like my grandpas anchor he got while serving in Korea.
your grandpa has no personality?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.