Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

New 52 Costumes

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sinisteri

Who is approving some of these designs? Are they appealing to readers?

Power Girl(thankfully reverted)

Raven(is she an ostrich)

JSA Flash(wth!)

There are others, but is there a new trend I am missing. Why are some of these costumes outright atrocious!?

ranger623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm running the numbers now and it appears that Raven is < or = to an ostrich.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sinisteri

LOL

gator4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm hoping a lot of these costumes are just for the early years of the heroes and eventually (like Power Girl) they will get their original costumes. On the other hand some of these could be trying something new and fresh for the characters. Some of the new outfits I like some of them I want to burn.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

In Raven's case I am going on the reaction people on her board had to the costume:

• A lot of people immediately disliked it
    • Some thought it would have suited Dove a lot better (due to the white bits)
    • Some thought it was taking her name too far; covering her in feathers, talons and bird references.
    • It's difficult to make the immediate connection that it's her by the new look in comparison to the old. The old was extremely simple, yet easy to identify from a distance, the new one has tons of details that will be easily lost.
    • Quite a few thought it was something from the bizarre 90'ties closet because of the eyeless helmet and the claws.

Sadly I don't think it will change any time soon, since it doesn't have an open tit-window over a cleavage you could loose a small dog in.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sinisteri

It is hideous. And Raven was such a class act. Even demon Raven had class.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would hope as the daughter of Trigon she has the ability to phase in to animals (specifically a raven obviously) so she could be a raven and she could have her old costume also with the bird outfit being her in between that she morphs to after coming out of her raven phase

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

The original Harley design was pretty atrocious.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Good or bad, most people will take an automatic disliking to the changes because people don't like change.

There will always be outcry when a design changes, and criticisms always pour in before anyone says they like it.

A good example is with Superman. When he lost the underpants, there were near riots all over the forums, but looking back at the costume, nearly two years after the reboot, I think most people can agree that the 'new' design wasn't a bad move.

Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of the costumes I hate, like the first Power Girl costume, or Harley Quinn. Everyone in the JL look way better now then they did compared to their classic costumes.

Onyx_Nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raven's new costume. At first i thought it was a female version of Kestrel from hawk and dove. The old one was more classy :)

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

New 52 Power Girl costume looks a lot better imo.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If anyone follows football, it's similar to how all the jerseys are becoming more "modern/futuristic" - because some people think that futuristic for the sake of it is the way to go, whether or not it looks good (and it usually doesn't).

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

Let's think......

Harley Quinn- They took a goofy character in a harlequin costume and made her look like a slut and a origin now similar story to the Joker. And for what? To make the character modern and serious? I'm sorry, but if my generation read comics for sluts and we take prostitutes seriously call me dinosaur. Plus, nothing looks clownly about it! If they wanted to make her costume a little revealing they should've done the Injustice one. At least that look clownish!

Raven- Just a stupid costume to begin with!

Dick Grayson's Robin- Ok I know I am in the minority hear, but I think Dick Grayson's original Robin costume should've stayed. It's just way to iconic! I know the same can be said about Batman and Superman undies, but at least their costume looks similar still. If they were going to give Dick a new Robin design I think it should've been close to Damian or give him Tim Drakes since Tim was never a Robin anymore.

Red Robin- I really liked pre-52's look. Now he looks like the Falcon from Captain America. Still it's a ok look.

Mr. Freeze- I'm sorry. Chills do not go down my spine when I see a villain with a mini-mohawk. Especially a villain like Mr. Freeze.

Pratically the whole JSA- I don't even like how they turned out with the reboot. Modernizing JSA would be a cool Elseworld's, but not as canon. Anyway the Justice League is suppose to be the modern Justice Society.Anyway don't Alan Scott's as I really liked his old design. Hawkgirl's just looks....odd. Jay Garrick's is ok, but it looks more like Ant Man. Al Pratt's doesn't even really show hints of who he was. And I really like casual looking costumes on superheroes so it's a shame of what they did to Wesley Dodds.

Oh and I kinda miss Scarecrow's hat. Although I do like his more CRAZED look. :)

That's all I can think of right now. I do think a lot of other character designs look nice.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl:

It's not hate for the sake of hating change.

Ugly has always been and always will be ugly. Some of the costumes are just ugly. Not all, but more than there should be.

Raven as a prime example. She looks ridiculous.

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol Raven=ostrich...lol!...i dnt like Black Canary's either

XSpectreGreyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By XSpectreGreyX

Well, I had time to kill, so here's my opinion:

The Bad:

Harley Quinn: Dafuq?! You took a goofy, light-hearted appearance and turned it into something a hooker would wear! Why?! And why is her skin bleached?! That's stupid on so many levels! The Creeper called, he wants his origin back. Hell, I was so happy to see it wasn't in Injustice. That costume is leagues ahead of this one. Because it, you know, invokes the image of a harlequin! If you want a new design for her new solo series, pick that one! Speaking of which, the image of for that series also has a pretty bad costume. I haven't been exposed to it for as long, so I can't decide which is worse.

Superman: HE DOES NOT NEED ARMOUR! And the underwear was fine. Supes' old costume nicely balanced its colours. Now there's too much blue.

Nightwing: The original red costume was bad. The symbol was way too large and it just looked wrong. Thank God the symbol has been made smaller and the finger stripes reintroduced. And while I didn't like the mask initially (the red parts), it's grown on me, probably because, after just one issue, I really like Will Conrad's art.

Zatanna: She went from a classy stage magician to a hooker. Did Jim Lee collaborate with Frank Miller on these? Seriously, a character even says she dresses like a hooker (or stripper, or something like that).

Wonder Girl: Just... why? Her old costume was fine! This one makes her look like a gypsy (seriously, that's what I thought when I saw the cover) and has that hood for some reason. Um, what purpose does that serve? Bats (and I think Dickbats) already went through why hoods are stupid, and even more so for Wonder Girl since she isn't a stealthy character in the slightest. And to protect her from rain or something? Yeah, pretty sure she's immune to mild cold, and even if she wasn't, look at what she's wearing. A hood isn't going to make a difference.

Black Canary: It's just so badly designed. The colours clash and it just looks weird (why the little slipper-things?) Was this supposed to be sci-fi looking? If so, why? It looks like a bad attempt at imitating the Black Canary costume from JSA.

Poison Ivy: The black parts just look weird to me. And it kind of undermines her whole seductress thing.

Amanda Waller: For making her skinny. I know it's a weird thing to complain about, but it just feels like it's only there for fanservice.

Jay Garrick: The rest of the costume is okay, but the helmet is just hilarious looking. It's like he saw it on a children's anime character and thought it'd look good. It doesn't.

Roy Harper: His stupid-ass trucker hat just makes it so I can't take him seriously. And the long hair makes him look even less respectable.

Bat Allen: His initial improv costume was fine! The new one looks like a 90s parody and overall just looks too dark and evil.

Raven: Just... the helmet. Why?

The Good:

Batman: His costume actually has a nice armoured look and looks better for the lack of underwear. Supes redesign done right. Plus, Greg Capullo just draws it really well.

Alan Scott: It keeps the classy look with the V-shaped armour-esque looking part and the collar. Plus, his hair looks awesome and just matches the costume really well. My favourite Green Lantern costume ever.

Doctor Fate: It has a nice armoured look to it... and it's just so shiny!

Kendra Saunders: I just like the colours and design. The only thing I don't like is the dreadlocks. Dreadlocks rarely work in my eyes.

Aquaman: For having a nice clean look to it and actually making that neck-thing that Jim Lee stuck on everyone work.

Cyborg: For armouring up his arms. I never liked that his biceps were just there.

Deadshot: The helmet just looks cool and makes more sense to me than what it was before.

Batwing II: I just like Bat-armour, and this suit does it really well.

Supergirl: I don't really care about the fact that it looks like a swimsuit (as some have said). At least it makes sense. Better than an incredibly short miniskirt. And I like what they did with the cape as well.

Green Arrow: It does a good job of portraying the young Oliver. I do miss the moustache, but this is a nice design.

The Robins: For having pants. If you're gonna age them up, then it's nice to put pants on them. I never minded the pixie shorts on Dick as a kid (that came out wrong), but as an adult, it looked wrong.

Power Girl: Kind of. I didn't hate it but it did look weird and plain. Honestly, I prefer the boob-window, but not for fanservice. I'm just used to it, and I was happy to see it return, and even mocked. I like that writers joke about her costume.

Okay... I'm done :)

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Bring back the old tim drake costume

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

We need pictures...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.