Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Most Disappointing Story Lines: DC Comics

• 71 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

We all have our favorite on going series, and there's nothing better than curling up on the couch with your favorite book and reading an amazing adventure featuring characters you love. That being said, there's nothing worse than curling up on that same couch and reading your favorite comic which happens to have a horrible, HORRIBLE storyline. It happens to all of us. It can be a new creative team, an editor's decision, a cross-over event invading your book, or the writer could be on their way out of the book and just phones it in. We all deal with the occasion bad storyline.

No Caption Provided

What are some of my least favorite storylines from any comic series? Well, if you go back through any long running comic book series, you're bound to find a stinker in there now and then, and I found quite a few. I set some ground rules for picking out my least favorite. The book has to be post-One Year Later, it has to be from a series I was reading and truly enjoying, and it has to be from a series that hit at least 50 issues. It didn't take me long to narrow it down to three storylines I hated.

Superman: Grounded

What Was Going on Before this Storyline?

No Caption Provided

For the first time, in a long time, I was really enjoying SUPERMAN. New Krypton appeared on the other side of the sun, and Superman was off planet. New Krypton was a pretty cool and grand idea, so what was happening in SUPERMAN? Mon-El was released from the Phantom Zone, and he became the protector Metropolis. It was a really cool storyline and a nice way to finish off the New Krypton epic. It was nice to see another character take the reigns of SUPERMAN. However, after the destruction of New Krypton, Superman comes back... Cue the next storyline: Grounded.

What Was Grounded?

Superman goes for a walk. During this walk, he helps out random people, but that's pretty much all that happens. Superman has gone through a lot, in the past few years, and it all comes crashing down on him to a point where he decides he just needs to go for a walk: no flying, no super-speed, just walking.

Why Was it so Disappointing?

He's just walking. It's like someone watched the scene in Forrest Gump where he just "feels like runnin'," and they made into a whole storyline, which never really finished. Superman has a ridiculous amount of powers and some really cool villains, but we got none of that. The whole idea of Superman reconnecting with the common man, in theory, is a decent idea, but it really didn't work on paper. Simply put, the story was boring.

Worst Moment:

That overwhelming feeling like I'm watching an after-school special in comic book form.

This was the first time I read a book where I want to preform the title of the story line on a creative team... I wanted to ground them... to their room... without supper.

Nightwing: One Year Later

No Caption Provided

Prior to One Year Later, Nightwing began working with Ravager under the name "Renegade," in a red costume, much like his costume in the New 52. Dick Grayson is forced into this predicament by Deathstroke and has to walk the thing line between hero and villain. Dick's job is to train Ravager and teach her everything he knows, since Deathstroke considers Nightwing to be a formidable villain. Although it's not a breakthrough storyline, it's one of my favorite from this Nightwing volume, which was incredibly enjoyable during it's run, prior to One Year Later.

What Was One Year Later?

It started off with a bang as two Nightwings invade New York City, and one of them happened to be Jason Todd masquerading as Bludhaven's hero. The only difference between the two is that Jason Todd is fine with killing those who break the law, something Nightwing would never do. They both end up investigating the same crime, only to find out the culprits can transform into monsters.

There was a third, female Nightwing, for starters, and the weird monsters that can encase you in green goo which can turn into a solid addition to the story was not helping. They also changed Jason Todd (a character who writers constantly change around, and by change I mean "screw with") by saying that he, too, can change into one of these goo-spitting monster. For me, this is the most memorable case of good ideas (Jason Todd and Dick Grayson fighting to be Nightwing) gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Worst Moment?

When Jason Todd turns into the giant goo monster and eats a guy... only to vomit him up right afterwords. Seeing is believing...

No Caption Provided

Some things you just can't unsee...

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis

No Caption Provided

Prior to this bizarre, almost reboot of Aquaman, San Diego had fallen into the sea and become "Sub-Diego." Anton Geist gave its inhabitants the ability to breathe underwater, and Aquaman, with his water-hand, because the city's savior. It was, up until the New 52 reboot, my favorite Aquaman story of all time, until One Year Later, when Aquaman was, well... not himself.

What Was Sword of Atlantis?

AQUAMAN: SWORD OF ATLANTIS was the vision of Kurt Busiek and then, in issue 50, fantasy writer Tad Williams. Arthur Joseph Curry becomes Aquaman. No, it's not THAT Arthur Curry. Basically, it's Aquaman with a sword who has a squid-like friend who calls himself Dweller of the Depths. Later on, Dweller dies, and it is revealed to the reader that Dweller was the true Aquaman who got changed into that weird sea creature during the missing year in DC.

Other than the fact they turned the original Aquaman into a squid, then killed him, Sword of Atlantis was incredibly dull and lifeless. It took a book that was a ton of fun, and tried to add a fantasy element to it. I jokingly called it a poor man's Conan, but drowning. Giving an underwater super-hero a sword and song hair just doesn't work. Aquaman tried that a few years prior except replace the sword with a hook. And once again, they killed off the original Aquaman...

Worst Moment:

Have I mentioned they made Aquaman a squid, then killed him off?

No Caption Provided

Even seeing this now angers me... And it's not just because the dialogue is awful.

There you have it. Some of the most diappointing, post One Year Later story lines from some of my favorite books over the years. From Superman taking a walk, to Jason Todd puking up people, to Aquaman dying as he lived: an old squid-man. These are just a few of my least favorite DC story lines. What do you guys think? Are their any story lines from DC that you think are terribly disappointing?

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring is a writer, comedian, and a whole bunch of other things. Check out his twitter page where he yells about comics and yells about football.

Mad_Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mad_Wolverine

Well this brings back memories...

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

By the way, a VERY VERY close 4th place is the Marc Guggenheim run of Justice Society of America (right before the new 52) where he completely destorys the team and makes Alan Scott into a giant lantern.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

I can't say that the storyline involving her was all that great I did however like Cheyenne Freemont and was kind of disappointed that she and the rest of the New York story lines from Nightwing were dropped and forgotten about when R.I.P. started

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

Is there going to be a Marvel one too?
    BB

hero4hire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hero4hire

I'm glad I read this.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@Billy Batson said:

BB

yes there is!

Jslab425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Jslab425

Agreed! Great list -- in fact, I dropped out of comics until Blackest Night as a result of Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis.

They turned Aquaman into a squid and then killed him!!!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#8  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

those do sound...lovely

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

@inferiorego said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

yes there is!

You could probably do the whole list with their events.
    BB

Baal Zak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Baal Zak

Well... Final Crisis and Batman RIP were pretty disappointing.

EugeneSaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EugeneSaxe

Does the New 52 count? If so, that.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By DarthShap

Grounded was a stupid idea from the get go. Ironically, Supes is already the most human hero in the DCU so he really does not need it. On top of that, he is supposed to have a wife, family and friends, a job and the world to save from time to time. The whole thing was dumb and pretentious.

Concerning Nightwing, both Renegade and Brothers in Blood were rather bad. Renegade because it made no sense, was either completely unbelievable or out of character. Brothers in Blood was just weird. I heard that there was a lot of editorial intervention because Dick was supposed to be killed in IC, Jason was supposed to take his place and as a consequence, everything was rewritten several times but the result? It is just a mess.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NightFang3

@Mad_Wolverine said:

Well this brings back memories...

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By snyderman567

Final Crisis, Amazons Attack for starters.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By kidchipotle

@inferiorego said:

By the way, a VERY VERY close 4th place is the Marc Guggenheim run of Justice Society of America (right before the new 52) where he completely destorys the team and makes Alan Scott into a giant lantern.

I completely hated the fact that they crippled Alan Scott. It was completely unnecessary. The entire story line had potential had they done it right. Such a shame.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#16  Edited By pspin

The last arc in Batgirl before the New 52 was disappointing, not as bad as these but still disappointing.

Skruff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skruff

Agreed on all of these (plus the JSA one in the comments).... However, I did like Aquaman with the hook. I thought Peter David's run was brilliant, and it made me a real fan of the character for the first time ever. The current run is the only version of the "classic" Aquaman that I've ever read for more than an issue or two.

Avatar image for the_cyan_lantern
    The Cyan Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18  Edited By The Cyan Lantern

I think Cheyenne (third female Nightwing) didn't ruin the arc but Jason's bit is to blame. She to me was a only was casualty to what the boys were doing. Singly, I think there can be still room for her to develop into a important figure in Dick's life given the right story. Someone who is tough, not too emotionally dependent on men, and different from Dick's other lovers (Barbra and Kory).

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By JonesDeini

Road to Flash Point, War of The Green Lanterns, Brightest Day...well honestly most of Johns during 2010/11

notarandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By notarandomguy

Only ''good'' part of Final Crisis was when Barry returned, no one can't say it wasn't u_u, I believe Batman R.I.P wasn't that great but it had its moments, could had been better but again, it had its moments.... a friend of mine wants to say war of lights, please tell him he is wrong (it doesn't even count as a one year later story but he won't shut up) D: !!! brothers in blood was good till they decided Dick shouldn't die and started the never ending rewriting , if you won't kill him why you think about it in the first place? just saying but maybe I'm wrong

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Inverno

Wow never read any of this comics

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Martian

Did Aquaman REALLY turn into a Squid-Man?!? LOL

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By SevanGrim

@inferiorego said:

lol i hated that! i was JUST getting into JSA (Right before KC Superman showed up) and then hey just ...shat on everything. I was disappointed with that Eclipso story too, as I used to read Starman religiously and he played a big part in the old Eclipso fight.

Also, yes on Grounded. There where like 2 good stories. it seemed almost like someone had a good idea, and DC decided to make it a full Story Line instead of just the one or two issues it should have been. And then he seemed to take the absolute opposite lesson he should have from it when he suddenly decided to begin downplaying his connection to the US.

in closing, let me add to the list that story with Cyborg's old friend turned Second-Cyborg, the Secret Six Blackest Night story, and that last half of Deathstrokes Titans.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#24  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

Sword of Atlantis really was disgraceful, easily the worst run for Aquaman... There is no middle ground for Busiek, whatever he puts out is either epic or a disgusting failure.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25  Edited By Decept-O

Oh, man, you could write SO MANY articles regarding bad story lines in comics. Every week. Without much effort to find the stinkers in the piles.

I don't mean just DC, though, but other companies as well.

Curious if there might be other story lines from other comic book publishers for possible future articles like this one?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@Decept-O: there is a Marvel one coming up featuring My least favorite story line of all time.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By goldenkey

so far Im only really digging Batman, Redhood and Deathstroke. All the others are kinds sucky right now. JLA is okay but it's dragging ass.

Avatar image for cincyducksfan35
    cincyducksfan35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By cincyducksfan35

The Nightwing One Year later is easily the worst thing I have ever read from DC. I wanted to read a Nightwing GN and stood looking at them all and for some reason I picked this one. What a mistake...

bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bane122

To me, some of Grounded still seems like a solid concept. A lost, depressed Superman trying to cope with the fallout of New Krypton is an interesting one, unfortunately it was barely touched on and the story was dragged out way longer than it really needed to be. Seems like it could have been a 4-6 issue story.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

#30  Edited By shawn87

Haven't read Grounded, wasn't crazy about that Nightwing story either and I hated that Aquaman story

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Dreadmaster

Blackest Night's ending kinda disappointed me, and the GL run after the BL tie-ins were disappointing as well.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By fodigg

Yep, good picks.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@inferiorego: You forgot to mention that Grounded had the most Superdickery outside of a Silver Age comic book.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By King Quisling

Oh gosh, you nailed it with all of these. That grounded arc was especially upsetting because JMS usually delivers practically flawless stories.

8diagrams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By 8diagrams

Nice read. It would be cool if you did one for Marvel or even an ongoing article of old storylines revisited.

I personally liked the whole Aquaman with the hook thing. Peter David's run was a nice one for sure. New 52s Aquaman is my fav so far though.

Grounded was an interesting story but it was just too dull.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By sj_esposito

I almost forgot about these (willingly, perhaps?)... They were awful.

kamionero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kamionero

Lol i love this article. I want a marvel version next!

kingoftheworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By kingoftheworld

Make this a weekly feature and cover every publisher.DO MARVEL NEXT. DO MARVEL NEXXTTTTTT.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#39  Edited By The Impersonator

@inferiorego said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

yes there is!

oh....great. -__-

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't help but agree with you on Grounded. I mean I liked the ending but yes, there were far too many instances in which I just was hearing Tom Hanks say "life is like a box of chocolates..." As for the others I can't attest to just yet except to say that they do sound rather disappointing.

BatClaw89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BatClaw89

Batman is safe from this. I do agree with the list bur Nightwing wasn't that bad compared to the rest.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i liked Superman Grounded

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego
    loooooooooooooooooooooool cant stop laughing about the nightwing worst moment
    can you do more of these articles
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Meteorite

I don't actually read DC, but from what I hear Armageddon 2001 was terrible because they made a last-minute switch of the villain's secret identity, and then things sorta... collapsed.

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

grounded was the worst comic ever written

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You definitely need to do this as a weekly thing. This can generate so much discussion, because for me the most important thing in comics is storyline. More "Most Disappointing Storylines"..and not just for DC but for all companies. Who's with me?

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By Miss_Garrick

I could mention the DC and Marvel stories I thought were the lamest, but nobody would want to spend the next 20 days hearing me explain why they were so lame. You all have better things to do.

Tigerstriper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tigerstriper

Most Disappionting Marvel Story Lines

Ultimate X-Men: Hellfire & Brimstone

Ultimate X-Men: Apocalypse

X-Statix

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DarthShap

@bane122 said:

To me, some of Grounded still seems like a solid concept. A lost, depressed Superman trying to cope with the fallout of New Krypton is an interesting one, unfortunately it was barely touched on and the story was dragged out way longer than it really needed to be. Seems like it could have been a 4-6 issue story.

Except that it was already out of character from the get-go. When Superman feels depressed, he goes back to Smallville and spends time with his mother, Connor, Krypto or speaks with his wife his cousin or his best pals, Bats or Jimmy Olsen. If he really wants to spend some time alone, he goes to the freakin' fortress of solitude.

Everything about the JMS arrival felt like the nuclear option, and the same goes for Wonder-Woman.

SexualLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SexualLobster

@Miss_Garrick said:

I could mention the DC and Marvel stories I thought were the lamest, but nobody would want to spend the next 20 days hearing me explain why they were so lame. You all have better things to do.

..I don't..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.