More DC Comics 'New 52' Titles End in August

Posted by G-Man (18889 posts) - - Show Bio

It's always a bad feeling when you hear about comic titles getting canceled. While not every comic is for everyone, it's unfortunate when series have to come to an end due to sales. Especially when some of those comics are actually really good. Lack of promotion or word of mouth could be a factor.

It does put the accountability on the titles. If they can't perform, they simply won't be around. With the August solicitations for DC out today, it was revealed that four comics will be coming to an end. Some people wait for the trades to come out. It's important to support and talk about the books you dig. Spread the word and try to get your friends to read. Otherwise we'll obviously see more cancellations.

DEMON KNIGHTS #23

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by CHAD HARDIN and WAYNE FAUCHER

Cover by HOWARD PORTER

On sale AUGUST 14 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • FINAL ISSUE

The Knights are running out of options as they try to protect the Holy Grail! Plus, the fate of the Black Diamond is revealed!

DIAL H #15

Written by CHINA MIEVILLE

Art by ALBERTO PONTICELLI and DAN GREEN

Cover by BRIAN BOLLAND

On sale AUGUST 7 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T+ • FINAL ISSUE

This extra-sized conclusion to the epic DIAL H series has all the answers you’ve been looking for, and more questions you didn’t even think to ask! Stay on the line! The entire universe is at stake!

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #23

Written by PAUL LEVITZ

Art and cover by KEVIN MAGUIRE

On sale AUGUST 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • FINAL ISSUE

In this final issue, the Legion picks itself up after the brutal attack from the Fatal Five nearly destroyed civilization across the cosmos! While some Legionaires bury their dead, others fight for the future of the Legion against a society that now doesn’t trust them. Don’t miss surprises galore in this landmark issue drawn by Kevin Maguire as the true nature of the Legion is questioned—and the future of the DCU is changed in a way you’ll never expect!

THRESHOLD #8

Written by KEITH GIFFEN

Art by TOM RANEY and PHIL WINSLADE

Backup story art by TIMOTHY GREEN II and JOSEPH SILVER

Cover by HOWARD PORTER

On sale AUGUST 14 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • FINAL ISSUE

The game is over for the Hunted! Who lives and who dies is sure to set the universe ablaze. Plus, a major villain emerges from the shadows!

#1 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest I was surprised that Legion of Super-Heroes hasn't been cancelled already, it seems to get next to no attention.

#2 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

Legion of Superheroes is a surprise since it was one of the First Wave books... Right?

#3 Posted by Icarusflies (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really, really going to miss Dial H. :(

It was my favorite DC book, and my second favorite overall book.

#4 Posted by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

Dial H and Demon Knights booo. The other two meh.

#5 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

And with DK gone, my pull list shrinks even further... you're making it really hard for me to like you, DC.

#6 Posted by longbowhunter (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't complain. I dropped Dial H after issue #8 and Demon Knights after #4. Still a bummer to see those books go.

#7 Posted by DeadpoolTattooGuy (23 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like we are going to get four more Batman titles.

#8 Posted by gonzotgreat23 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

So Threshold is being cancelled, and they are introducing a major villain in that issue? Nice effort I suppose.

#9 Posted by Black_Claw (3091 posts) - - Show Bio

Nooooooo!!! Not Demon Knights!

#10 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

Demon Knights, Dial H and Threshold. This is the cancellation wave that has affected me the most so far. Really sucks that these titles had to go, especially Demon Knights.

#11 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35023 posts) - - Show Bio

two more Bat books and two more Justice League books....... yay.......

#12 Posted by zell5001 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I only count 49 new 52 titles for August, so only 45 in September, will they really bring out 7 new titles? Or just stay under 52 from now on?

#13 Posted by The Stegman (26005 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously Demon Knights??? UGH, It's been on my pull list since issue 1, and has been the most consistently well written title in the New 52, words can't express how frustrated I am at both DC and readers not giving this wonderful title a chance.

I'm also surprised at Legion of Superheroes being there. I personally don't care for it, but it's been a staple title in DC for ages.

#14 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

I went to my lcs saturday and picked up a handful of Demon Knights back issues based solely on Sara's praise of the series and I ended up liking it, this is kind of a bummer. Makes it real easy to lose interest in dc when they cancel a title 8 issues in, and to replace those titles with indie stuff. I suppose that's the good of all this.

#15 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7043 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they leave my Earth 2 titles alone. I don't care >:D

#16 Posted by sleeperman (2 posts) - - Show Bio

MAN! I really loved Dial H. It was one of the most out there books that DC was publishing. The cancellations just seem to come fast and furious at DC. What are they even going to replace these books with? It seems like they keep throwing stuff at the wall and canceling them before they even know what sticks.

#17 Posted by DeadpoolTattooGuy (23 posts) - - Show Bio

DC should of cancelled Stormwatch before Demon Knights. Demon Knights was a great team book, unlike Stormwatch where they erased a whole team out of existence. Demon Knights also could have laid the foundation for future stories in the other new 52 books.

#18 Edited by kantrip (189 posts) - - Show Bio

Dammit! I was enjoying Dial H. Finally getting to learn about all the dials (S-Dial, H-Dial, G-Dial) was the best part about last issue. :{ I REALLY hope we get something more than more Bat/Sup/JL books.

Maybe Doom Patrol??

#19 Edited by danhimself (22714 posts) - - Show Bio

sure does suck for Demon Knights fans...I've heard nothing but good things about that book...unfortunately it really didn't hold my attention

they need to get Mark Waid to write Legion of Superheroes...his run was by far the best volume of that LoSH that I've ever read

#20 Posted by Teerack (7431 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they don't just kill off the cast of Threshold. The green lantern guy in it was cool in the new guardians.

#21 Posted by jwalser3 (5279 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest I was surprised that Legion of Super-Heroes hasn't been cancelled already, it seems to get next to no attention.

Same.

I might have to get into Threshold.

#22 Posted by Master_Thief (786 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like we are going to get four more Batman titles.

Thinking the same thing

#23 Edited by saoakden (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't read any of these titles, though it is a shame to see them go. I'm surprised to see Threshold go. Well then again, it's not the first book to end after 8 issues. Is that how it is at DC Comics, if this book doesn't do well within the first 8 issues, it goes?

#24 Posted by CitizenJP (624 posts) - - Show Bio

OH COME ON why Demon Knights?! I'm so sad now. :(

#25 Edited by ccraft (5573 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sadly one of many comic readers who just read the JL and the Batman titles.

But I'm trying to change that, I just recently got Shadowman which was awesome. Might not be DC but I'm trying different titles.

#26 Edited by dreamfall31 (579 posts) - - Show Bio

I know DC is a business and all, but couldn't they afford to keep low selling books alive that had critical acclaim?

#27 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

Try harbinger and bloodshot

#28 Posted by feargalr (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

Darn, I was hoping Batman Inc. would be done since morrison is done with his story. Too many Bat books

#29 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreamfall31 said:

I know DC is a business and all, but couldn't they afford to keep low selling books alive that had critical acclaim?

They actually gave I, Vampire and Demon Knights a lot of time, what they didn't give them is actual advertising. They were a little harsher with the newer books, though.

#30 Posted by bloggerboy (632 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew it was coming but...DEMON KNIGHTS! NO!!

#31 Edited by The Stegman (26005 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr said:

Darn, I was hoping Batman Inc. would be done since morrison is done with his story. Too many Bat books

You know better than that, anything with "Bat" "Super" "Justice League" or "Green Lantern" in its name will be fine.

#32 Edited by Frobin (97 posts) - - Show Bio

It's no wonder Threshold is getting canceled. For me it's one of the biggest disappointments of the whole New 52 thing (and since there are many letdowns and disappointments it's really a big one!). I hoped for great stories with cosmic characters of DC and all I got were a lame story arc, a lame new character and lame reboots of some DC B- or C-list characters. The artwork was even more lame ... and this means something considering the weak story.

Only highlight of this book was the Larfleeze story. Since he'll get his own book, I will not miss Threshold!

Too bad ... again (like with DC universe presents) DC really missed the chance to highlight their space characters and structure their universe beyond Earth and the Green Lantern Corps.

Same for Legion of Superheroes.

#33 Posted by inferiorego (28275 posts) - - Show Bio

And with that, DC cancels two more books I love: Demon Knights and Threshold.

Staff
#34 Edited by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr said:

You know better than that, anything with "Bat" "Super" "Justice League" or "Green Lantern" in its name will be fine.

Batman inc is actually ending in july

#35 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (531 posts) - - Show Bio

Only one im gonna miss is Demon Knights. I stopped reading Dial H at about issue 3, and I never could get into Threshold. I didn't think they would cancel Legion though.

But shame to see Demon Knights to go, I loved that book.

#36 Posted by CrashBang (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Demon Knights?! Bollocks!

#37 Edited by Dman1366 (799 posts) - - Show Bio

hopefully WildC.A.T.S can replace one of these. And maybe Gen13 can replace another.

#38 Posted by Mezmero (969 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a shame about Demon Knights. I've been thinking of getting into it. Now I feel bad for not supporting it sooner.

#39 Posted by Simon_the_digger (3401 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not Demon Knights...

#40 Posted by Scarlet_Spider_Forever (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Demon Knights getting cancelled? I thought it sold like hot cakes.

#41 Posted by pspin (894 posts) - - Show Bio

For a second I thought that DC would cancel books after only 3 issues.

Oh wait they already did.

#42 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@scarlet_spider_forever said:

Demon Knights getting cancelled? I thought it sold like hot cakes.

That sarcasm? Because it was one of the lowest selling titles dc had

#43 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10130 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Demon Knights, Dial H and Legion

But I'm not a one percent whiner. I'mma Move on.

#44 Edited by ThorBoy (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Make Mine Marvel!

#45 Edited by longbowhunter (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see the creative team from Dial H do a Doom Patrol book and Greg Rucka come back and do a Question ongoing. It'll never happen but it's nice to dream.

#46 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

iI LOVE DEMON KNIGHTS

#47 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Demon Knights is so coo though :/ Get rid of batman title DC....Batgirl, or Detective. They Stink!

#48 Posted by tim_mik (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Jaime has now been canceled twice. Time to move to the Titans!

#49 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpooltattooguy: I will only be happy with this if they release books for Bats starring a different villain every issue or arc (Could be called The Arkham Files) or if it is a book all about the early adventures of Batman and Dick Grayson. Maybe they could do a Captain Marvel, Martian Manhunter, Spectre, Sensation Comics (WW deserves more than just one book as part of DC Trinity), or Raven.

Disappointed to here about Demon Knights. I was actually thinking of getting into it. I got a summer job meaning that I can buy more comics than just my usual Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Superman. I was thinking about picking up Nightwing and Demon Knights just because of Etrigan!

#50 Edited by charlieboy (7096 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't reading any of these books but I do feel bad for the fans of the books. I hate when books get cancelled.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.