Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Marvel topping Dc

• 65 results
    Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Do you agree that Marvel is right now better at every field except tv because they are selling more comics,making more animated shows even if it is childish,making lot more movies even making better animated movies compairing to JL War and SOB ????

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

More or less. DC had the edge on animated movies up until recently. And while I won't argue that Marvel comics are better in quality than DC comics right now (because they both have their pros and cons in that department), it seems that Marvel is making more sales.

DC needs to find a way to step up its game. It is by no means a failing company, but definitely free-falling into the "Second Best" category.

Perhaps they can start by actually listening to fans for a change? That might be a fun way to up their profits...

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn’t say anything about quality of Marvel comics, cartoons, movies, etc. just basing my judgment on profits. Quality and selling numbers are different things. DC and Marvel are two biggest giants in comics industry; it’s just Marvel approach to business worked for them better.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By daredevil21134

What would DC be without Batman? That thought alone to me is scary.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*shudders*

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lateralus
    No Caption Provided

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much less, but it's not as if they couldn't create an identical character to fill the mold. Justice League takes in a huge chunk of sales, often in tandem to Batman and Superman Unchained, so it's not as if DC would be nothing without him. Same with Superman or Wonder Woman (although I wouldn't say the same if a number of DC characters vanished together, as opposed to just one).

You could liken it to Marvel losing Spider-Man or perhaps (emphasis on that) Wolverine. Sales would hurt because they're fan favorites, but it wouldn't be their end.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Jphu8414

Sure

but I still love both companies though, regardless of who's number one or number two

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why is there a comparison at all? If there's something to be mentioned, it's all the great books Image/Dark Horse/Valiant etc have been pumping out.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By dshipp17

@reactor said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Much less, but it's not as if they couldn't create an identical character to fill the mold. Justice League takes in a huge chunk of sales, often in tandem to Batman and Superman Unchained, so it's not as if DC would be nothing without him. Same with Superman or Wonder Woman (although I wouldn't say the same if a number of DC characters vanished together, as opposed to just one).

You could liken it to Marvel losing Spider-Man or perhaps (emphasis on that) Wolverine. Sales would hurt because they're fan favorites, but it wouldn't be their end.

I'd liken DC losing Batman to Marvel losing the X-Men or the Avengers; it would have a huge impact, but would not fold the company.

Some of the other companies put out quality material, although the sells may not have given justice to the quality. For example, Dynamite Entertainment: what is the deal with the material revolving around Dejah Thoris, all of the sudden? Just as I noticed Dejah Thoris about 3 months ago, and began subscribing and complimenting the material, they just ended 2 Dejah Thoris titles, with a 3rd already pre-scheduled to end; now, they only have a limited series starring Dejah Thoris, starting at the end of this month. There were rumors that DC might have been interested in buying the company out, but I'm not sure what's going on with Dynamite Entertainment; the last 2 issues of Dejah Thoris and the Green Men of Mars were dudes, by comparison to just issue 10, right when I started complementing the series. Hope Dejah of Mars picks back up, but, I'm suddenly worried about the company.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No. Especially not in television and animated movies...

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Both companies have there own strengths it changes every few years so it doesn't matter who's on top now as in another 5 years it will be DC again then Marvel etc.

But gods DC needs to let up on Batman hopefully they dial it back after the 75th at the moement it feels like its all Batman all the time.

Avatar image for twix_right_side
    Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you agree that Marvel is right now better at every field except tv because they are selling more comics,making more animated shows even if it is childish,making lot more movies even making better animated movies compairing to JL War and SOB ????

Well,personally,on a subjective level,I like Marvel better than DC. That's just my personal preference,not that one is objectively "better" than the other. Is Red better than Blue? Orange better than Yellow?

In terms of profits,Marvel has basically been on the top for,well,at least a decade or so,sans a gimmick month (like 3d covers). There are numerous factors involved,so I won't get into that.

In terms of movies,I prefer Marvel by a LONG shot (not that DC doesn't have good ones). In terms of TV shows,again,it's Marvel for me (but both can produce AMAZING things,ie, Young Justice,Wolverine and the X-men,Avengers EMH,Spider-man Animated Series,BTAS,Green Lantern TAS,etc).

In terms of games,I generally like DC

But again,apples and oranges,red vs blue,etc.

They are completely different,and the truth of the matter is that one is not objectively better than the other. If we're talking about money,I would say Marvel.

Inb4 DC fanboys or any fanboy

Avatar image for twix_right_side
    Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel is producing a higher quantity of quality comics and movies.

DC is producing better tv, animated movies, and video games.

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hislolita: invincible and x-o are some of my favs, but I usually wait for the trades

I think dc has better stories, characters, and animated movies but marvel is certainly pulling in new readers with all their awesome movies.

Almost all I read is all the green lantern books and justice league, but books like god of thunder and uncanny avengers has been really good too. Marvel has had the best EVENT comic in awhile from Infinity most of marvels big events have crappy endings

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the biggest reason is accessibility. Ask the average non comic reader to name 30 superheros. Sure you will have the familiar DC stalwarts (Batman, Supes, WW, Flash, GL, Robin, and Aquaman).....after that it would be almost entirely Marvel characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having more stuff does not equal having better stuff. But even so marvel has a larger number of quality comics than DC.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mogo1 said:

@hislolita: invincible and x-o are some of my favs, but I usually wait for the trades

I think dc has better stories, characters, and animated movies but marvel is certainly pulling in new readers with all their awesome movies.

Almost all I read is all the green lantern books and justice league, but books like god of thunder and uncanny avengers has been really good too. Marvel has had the best EVENT comic in awhile from Infinity most of marvels big events have crappy endings

I completely agree with you.

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By iDude

@lateralus: Which is actually really sad. Imagine if Dc fail with Bvs and quits the movie business all together. (Cause lets face it, the main reason kids know about superheroes these days is because of the movies and the Tv series) The next generation of kids would grow up never being exposed to any Dc characters. "Sigh" Come on Dc, get you act together.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What they need to do is start using their Vertigo titles and start making shows on HBO or Showtime, 100 bullets like holy crap! And maybe they should start pushing more of their other characters out more like um The Question! (Question fanboy hurr)

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

This. DC would be floundering now without Batman.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

imagine if marvel brought bat-man...

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@strider92 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

imagine if marvel brought bat-man...

That would be interesting.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel have better artists and storytellers. I'm reading more Marvel than ever.

LarryAshlynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC has better games. And assault on Arkham looks nice.

PatriotPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom Well, you have a lovely number of posts, don't you?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patriotperson: I have a lot to say about how rubbish DC's become under Didio's stewardship. DC owns my favorite character whom they treat poorly with the most absolute contempt, they might as well sell it. Overall DC feels demodé despite the new logo which I think is pretty. Marvel appeals to a younger demo and is a bit more female-friendly.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@archizoom: Who is your favorite character? Is it Wonder Woman?

TheIronLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't get why people hate on Snyder so much. I mean, he made 300, Watchmen and Man of Steel. All of them great and exactly how I'd want those comics made to a movie. Now he's directing a film with Trinity in it. Don't know what it will be like, but just those 3 characters make it the most anticipated movie for me.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArchiZoom
    Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus said:
    No Caption Provided

Don't get why people hate on Snyder so much. I mean, he made 300, Watchmen and Man of Steel. All of them great and exactly how I'd want those comics made to a movie. Now he's directing a film with Trinity in it. Don't know what it will be like, but just those 3 characters make it the most anticipated movie for me.

Only 1 of those movies are actually considered great. In my opinion, MoS was horrible and Watchmen was meh.

TheIronLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheIronLord

@lateralus: I can agree that MoS isn't that popular among CB fans, but many people consider Watchmen a great adaptation. I just don't know why Snyder gets all the hate, but everybody loves Whedon. Avengers seemed like it was written and directed by a 15-year-old.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lateralus

@theironlord said:

: I can agree that MoS isn't that popular among CB fans, but many people consider Watchmen a great adaptation. I just don't know why Snyder gets all the hate, but everybody loves Whedon. Avengers seemed like it was written and directed by a 15-year-old.

Because Whedon's characters have personality. That is the issue with Watchmen (save for Rorschach) and Man of Steel. You can throw Sucker Punch on that pile of boring character Snyder trash as well.

TheIronLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheIronLord

@lateralus: The only one that stands out is Iron Man and that's only because of Jon Favreau (who should have directed Avengers, by the way). The rest isn't really that great. I liked Avengers only because it had many different CB characters, but other than that, the movie was really dumb.

Watchmen is on another level compared to Avengers. And I don't know how you can find the characters boring. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theironlord said:

: I can agree that MoS isn't that popular among CB fans, but many people consider Watchmen a great adaptation. I just don't know why Snyder gets all the hate, but everybody loves Whedon. Avengers seemed like it was written and directed by a 15-year-old.

Because Whedon's characters have personality. That is the issue with Watchmen (save for Rorschach) and Man of Steel. You can throw Sucker Punch on that pile of boring character Snyder trash as well.

You compare one dimensional characters (Avengers) with characters from the watchmen movie....? /facepalm

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus said:

@theironlord said:

You compare one dimensional characters (Avengers) with characters from the watchmen movie....? /facepalm

The characters in Watchmen (movie) are boring as hell (save for Rorschach).

TheIronLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus: They're boring because they don't have those cheesy jokes that they've been putting in every Marvel movie lately? The characters are complex, they're well thought-out, you just have to think a little while watching it, instead of waiting for Rorschach to burn someone's face or Dr Manhattan to blow people up. If you watched this (3h) movie the way you watch action movies, then no wonder you were bored. Rewatch it and give some thought to how well the story and characters are built. There's a reason that Watchmen (the graphic novel) was put on the list of 100 best novels of 20th century. I know we're talking about the movie, but it's extremely close to the source material.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lateralus

@lateralus: They're boring because they don't have those cheesy jokes that they've been putting in every Marvel movie lately? The characters are complex, they're well thought-out, you just have to think a little while watching it, instead of waiting for Rorschach to burn someone's face or Dr Manhattan to blow people up. If you watched this (3h) movie the way you watch action movies, then no wonder you were bored. Rewatch it and give some thought to how well the story and characters are built. There's a reason that Watchmen (the graphic novel) was put on the list of 100 best novels of 20th century. I know we're talking about the movie, but it's extremely close to the source material.

I wasn't making an argument against the novel. Problem is it does not translate well to the big screen. Also, a lot of the complexity is lost 20 years later. The world is different today than it was in 1987 when Watchmen came out and the inside social commentary is lost (much like the musical Rent).

TheIronLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theironlord said:

I wasn't making an argument against the novel. Problem is it does not translate well to the big screen. Also, a lot of the complexity is lost 20 years later. The world is different today than it was in 1987 when Watchmen came out and the inside social commentary is lost (much like the musical Rent).

Well, then you do a little research on the subject, you read what creators have to say, what reviewers have to say, and the complexity isn't lost anywhere. I mean, if books/movies/comic books lose relevance after 20 years, then why do people still analyze books 10 times Watchmen's age? Times change, views change, society changes, but it doesn't mean people don't understand anymore what Alan Moore was talking about. Don't blame the novel, just because you don't get it.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lateralus

@theironlord said:

@lateralus said:

@theironlord said:

Well, then you do a little research on the subject, you read what creators have to say, what reviewers have to say, and the complexity isn't lost anywhere. I mean, if books/movies/comic books lose relevance after 20 years, then why do people still analyze books 10 times Watchmen's age? Times change, views change, society changes, but it doesn't mean people don't understand anymore what Alan Moore was talking about. Don't blame the novel, just because you don't get it.

Who said I don't get it? I do get it, and I do understand the concept of social commentaries in which the Watchmen novel was. You are the one that does not seem to understand that social commentaries only remain relevant to their times or as long the issues in which they speak out about are relevant. At very best it is a case of diminishing returns.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@archizoom: Kinda figured that, I wouldn't say that DC treats her with complete contempt, obviously pairing her up with Superman in the new 52 wasn't done in the best interest of her character but at the same time, they've allowed Brian Azzarello to write her solo series with as little editorial interference as possible (which is really surprising if you think about it). I mean she's not being written by Ann Nocenti.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: Azzarello made a good run, in my opinion but I it might've been kind of a strike of luck, Didio took a bit of a leap of faith since Azzarello didn't really care about Wonder before. Personally I'm also very grateful that we got Cliff Chiang but they've (probably) chosen David Finch as his successor which is a decision I cannot fathom. And they've allowed Soule, Johns, Tom Taylor &co to do all sorts of horrible things to Wonder Woman so I have to assume they don't give a hoot about us.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RedLantern23

As of right now, I prefer Marvel over DC. Better comics and better movies. Although DC is looking to dominate the tv market with Arrow, Flash, and Constantine (Gotham looks stupid so I'm not counting it)

I'd say they are tied right now when it comes to cartoons because neither have any amazing shows going right now.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By ComicStooge

DC's better.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel > Dc but who cares what I think

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@lateralus: I can agree that MoS isn't that popular among CB fans, but many people consider Watchmen a great adaptation. I just don't know why Snyder gets all the hate, but everybody loves Whedon. Avengers seemed like it was written and directed by a 15-year-old.

It should also be added that Snyder is a comic book fan yet people seem to forget that while praising Wheldon, which is weird because if you want a true looking comic book movie then you call Snyder.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@mxyzptlk_cv said:

@lateralus said:

@theironlord said:

The characters in Watchmen (movie) are boring as hell (save for Rorschach).

Think you find them that way because the Watchmen characters act like real people would if they went through the things the Watchmen did. The Avengers... it was a mix of bickering, posturing and an idealized idea of how people would react in extraordinary situations. The two gods acted like they just stepped of the stage from Wagners Ring (which fits them), Sam Jackson is always cool and badass,

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheThe

I think the biggest reason is accessibility. Ask the average non comic reader to name 30 superheros. Sure you will have the familiar DC stalwarts (Batman, Supes, WW, Flash, GL, Robin, and Aquaman).....after that it would be almost entirely Marvel characters.

This. That's why it's important for DC to launch as many quality movies and tv series as they can. The average non comic reader needs to be familiar with DC characters.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus: The "Comedian" alone has a deeper characterization than all of the avengers combined...If you can't acknowledge that, then there is no point in continuing this conversation...

The story of the "Avengers" and the dialogue throughout the film was based on a scipt from an 8-12 year old kid...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.