Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Looking for a point to jump in and start DC.

wafle7350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, i grew up watching Spiderman & X-men animated series back in the 90s, so when i grew up and saw some movies i bought some comics from marvel, now im building a small collection of my favorite series. A few months ago i thought of picking a batman tittle and giving DC a chance i'v heard of the new 52 and tought it was a good opportunity to jump in, the problem was that there were more batman tittles that there were wolverine & deadpool combined in marvel, so i quickly abandon the idea of picking up a batman tittle, in retrospective it might have been a good thing, sense i really hate detective stories.

So if a marvel fan wants to pick up a DC comic where should i start? maybe i should start with a cartoon, build up some knowledge, but i really dont know whats good and whats not. i Heard DC does really good cartoons compare to marvel (no way to argue with the current things marvel has on TV), Iv seen a couple of animated things never a series just those that go direct to video and usually consists of 2-4 hours, i do enjoy batman in those.

So im hoping for recommendations. I would prefer something in the tone of spiderman or x-men (please no teen titans my little brother made me watch that crappy series and i ended up hating them i know its probably unfair sense it was a kids show but i got a big trauma with them).

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MiniSaladFresh

Well for cartoons the place to go is definitely Batman: The Animated Series. All I need to say is that it has the same rating on IMDb as The Dark Knight. Yeah, it's that good.

If you're interested there's also Superman: The Animated Series and Justice League, which are both set in the same universe as Batman: TAS and are *almost* as good.

You'll struggle to find anything in the same tone as the Marvel cartoons just because Marvel and DC have very different tones in general, but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying DC's cartoons.

For New 52 comics just go for the regular "Batman" - that's by far the best and you need no other experience in DC to understand it. Outside of that I'd recommend maybe Batman and Robin, which is really good but not as good as the regular Batman book.

I also suggest you start reading Justice League so you can get a good feel for all of the main characters in DC and you can see which ones you like and want to start reading. It's also probably a good idea to just look around online and see what other people like, and try to learn a little more about some of DC's characters. Obviously you don't have to go hardcore on it or anything but doing a little research can't hurt.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I myself started with the cartoons when the DCAU Justice League cartoon came out in '01. What I did was watch some DCAU stuff, read internet wikis and hardcover Dorling Kindersly guidebooks. In my case it took me a while to understand the whole pre-Crisis/ post-Crisis thing. However, that realization came to me long ago. But if you just want to know the New 52 and don't care to learn about the previous continuity, I'm sure you can. You may want to avoid Convergence then.

As for New 52 series, I and apparently many others like Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Justice League Dark, Demon Knights, Justice League of America's Vibe, Justice League United, All-Star Western (though that one, I am not at all caught up on), and Jeff Lemire's run on Green Arrow. (#17-#34, I think.)

Series that it seems that most people really like that I thought were sorta mediocre include Superman Unchained, Batman, Animal Man, Action Comics, and Batman / Superman.

Series that I have seen many rave about that I have not read include Swamp Thing, Frankenstein- Agent of SHADE, I Vampire, and Batwoman. Series that most people will tell you to stay away from include Catwoman, Katana, Teen Titans, Justice League International, Static Shock, Captain Atom, etc. I have read JLI and Cap Atom and they were quite bad. I have read up through #6 of Teen Titans and so far I myself have rather enjoyed it, but it is very rare to meet anyone here who would ever put anything at a value lesser than what they give to that series. I myself think it may be because of how the New 52 screwed over those characters, and not due to the writing in and of itself. But I may find it gets really convoluted in the issues I have not yet read, but I doubt it. I have not read Catwoman or Static Shock, but I have read that whole Katana series and whenever I was attempting to read that book I was absolutely miserable, it's so bad.

Many like Dial H. I picked up one issue because the Flash was in it, but its style made me feel uncomfortable. So it obviously is good for many people. I agree with the popular opinion on such books as Earth Two and Phantom Stranger that quality fluctuates. Many newbies like Johns' Justice League, but it is in my opinion not up to par for a League story, or especially a Geoff Johns story.

One last thing. If you do decide to read Green Lantern, or any other series in the GL family and you don't want to have to read pre-Flashpoint material, you may want to start with #21, as the first twenty issues were continuing Geoff Johns' run on GL which started in 2003 Johns Green Lantern is great, mostly the pre-Flashpoint stuff, so I'd definitely recommend it if you were interested in anything pre-Flashpoint.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.