Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Justice League #1: DC's New Coke

Nocturama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nocturama

Regarding Justice League #1, I have to say that I am disappointed in DC's decision to re-invent it's universe rather than build on decades of storytelling that means so much to so many. This revisionist do-over for the benefit of a sure to be fleeting profit burst is a misjudgment that will likely rival the introduction of New Coke to a dumbfounded and offended populace back in the mid-1980's. Of course, New Coke was swiftly followed by Classic Coke and I expect just as much the same response when from DC when the sales for the "new fall line" go flat - I predict sometime around this time next year, just in time for heavy promotion at the next SDCC. The negating of all that has happened, erasing all the Crisis', undoing the depth of the relationships formed by experiences between so many well-defined characters, seems to be the core directive of Justice League #1. When author Geoff John's takes away the justifiable antipathy between Bruce Wayne and Hal Jordan, a rage forged in mistrust for Jordan's actions as Parallax and replace it with shallow territorial squabbling, all I see is sloppy empty writing straight out of Twilight's butt-sniffing alpha-male posturing. When Superman is suddenly an unknown a mere 5 years ago I can't help but be taken out of the narrative and ask "When five years ago?" During the waning years of the Bush administration 5 years ago or just some nebulous "whenever" time in fictionville. Honestly, why bother placing the action in any specific timeline when 5 years ago DC was doing some pretty interesting stuff with the a series named "52", the one that led to Countdown and Final Crisis and then Blackest Night, etc.? If it only makes you think of better comics than the one in your hand you know something is wrong with this picture, never mind that you'll still have to slog through the other 51 titles because your comcishop gave you a good deal on buying them all for $100 (a bit cheaper than just buying the 34 you had in mind). The stated object of the new 52 titles is to appeal to new (younger) readers, if that is truly the case and not just a revenue peak in an otherwise flaccid fiscal quarter, then my suggestion is they should have done what Marvel did with it's Ultimate line of books; create an EXTREEME, amped up, simplistically written enough to be translated into movies, multi-culty, dude-friendly super-quick read alternative line of books instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Better yet, with the dwindling attention span of most  younger people, who if they don't already read comics will never do so, no matter what the publishers do, why not put it on Twitter? At 160 characters an issue, I think the basic emotional, physical and narrative content of Justice League #1 could easily be displayed, for a monthly subscription rate that's less than a Happy Meal.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

I have read so many mixed reviews..I don't know what to think

Doesn't DC have something like Ultimate Comics...called Earth One or something??

Nocturama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nocturama

Yeah, an  Earth One line of titles would have been a good place to play with alternate takes on existing characters.
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By the_tree

I actually thought it was great, and I don't think that the universe will revert back.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

I also enjoyed the new JL, I went in with a clear mind about it and came out pleased. I'm not here to squabble, but it honestly sounds like you didn't like this before it hit stands.

Nocturama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nocturama

Not true at all. I wouldn't have paid for all 52 issues sight unseen if I had that mindset.  
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By joshmightbe

I find it extremely amusing that people who obviously have very little knowledge of DC's history complaining about the reboot messing it up. If this was the first or biggest reboot DC had ever done I'd understand but this is neither.

Nocturama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nocturama

I see that you have taken it upon yourself to make this very same comment every place that it fits the topic, which is obviously an opinion that now defines you, despite your stated temporay panic not so long ago. OK, maybe I haven't been reading DC since 1938, but I have been enjoying what I have been reading for the last 26 years since Crisis On Infinite Earths and I will miss all that has accumulated in those intervening years. My real question to someone like yourself , who apparantly has been enmeshed in the DC Universe for far longer than myself: Why wont you miss that history, that vast tapestry that is the background of all that is the DC Universe as we know it until now? As a longtime DC reader, don't you get any satisfaction from knowing what a reference to a past event means without having to look it up or ask someone? Does any of it have any value now that it doesn't matter? Metaphorically, this reboot is like dating a girl who looks just like your ex, whom you really loved, but with no shared experiences that made you fall in love with her in the first place.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i've been a fan of Dc for years, and i'll admit, i was nervous about the reboot, but now i really don't think things will change THAT much, the only things that seem to change are a few of the Bat family like Dick going back to Nightwing and Babs as Batgirl, and the Superman family, the rest pretty much stay the same 

so to all of the anti reboot people, i just say... 

No Caption Provided
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Nocturama: my temporary panic was based on Johns being in charge of the thing cause I worried he'd just be bringing the silver age back like he keeps trying to do with GL and Flash I had no illusions of DC destroying 75 years of history because no character in DC currently has that kind of history due to the multitude of revamps, retcons and reboots DC has already done 
    Foolkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Foolkiller
    @Nocturama said:
    When author Geoff John's takes away the justifiable antipathy between Bruce Wayne and Hal Jordan, a rage forged in mistrust for Jordan's actions as Parallax and replace it with shallow territorial squabbling
    Johns isn't taking this away. the first arc of justice league is the origin of the league and is set a few years before when the rest of the series will take place. all of the history of the dc universe (or most of it) occurs between this arc (the origin story) and the rest of the series. so you can stop complaining about all that history being lost, because the events that created the background of the dc universe have still happened. that's right; parallax, blackest night, infinite crisis, etc. have still happened and you would've known that if you would've waited and watched where the series went.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By damswedon

[read with a drunken slur] BATMAN TAKES THE GREEN LANTERN RING AWAY FROM HAL JORDAN WITHOUT HIM NOTICING.

The award for first down right stupid thing of the DCnU goes to Geoff Johns.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

I think people are being a little harsh. I though the first issue was fine, and I think it will only get better from here. And for those of you who read Flashpoint #5, they made a very smart move so that if the new 52 just isn't working out, they can easily revert back. 

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By moviegeek17
    @Gambit1024 said:
    I think people are being a little harsh. I though the first issue was fine, and I think it will only get better from here. And for those of you who read Flashpoint #5, they made a very smart move so that if the new 52 just isn't working out, they can easily revert back. 
    well said man
    Nocturama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nocturama
    @Foolkiller
    Obviously you're privy to information that I am not - what is your source? I have based what I've written by reading Justice League #1 and coming to a conclusion based on what is offered. If what you say is bona fide fact, then I could see being more willing to hope for the best and keep reading DC. 
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PrinceIMC

I don't think you can really judge the new Justice League until the first storyline is over. It seems to be suffering from Trade Paperback-itis. The story isn't told until it is complete.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION
    @Nocturama Oh, sorry to assume then. Maybe JL just wasn't your thing? I'm sure you'll enjoy something in the next 51.
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I thought it was a good solid first issue, I'm happy with it and exited for the next book.

Avatar image for the_bride_of_nine_spiders
    The_Bride_Of_Nine_Spiders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My opinion of the issue aside in any case, and personal opinion of this issues merits are respected by me regardless of what they are, but,
    I only can think of one question: We all knew that this revamp would mean the books would be " different " from what came before them, and knew
    exactly that before any of us chose to read them, and this one as well. That being said where is the shock that it isn't continuous with the comics
    that came before it, when it was in fact advertised, and for quite some time now that it would be anything but? Not that this type of response wasn't
    expected either, but at this point that thought pattern seems moot to me.

Oh, yeah and....
    JE JE JE JE JE JE JE 

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By CainPanell

i LOVED j.l.a and as a huge bat fan i'm so freaking glad dick goes to nightwing, babs goes to batgirl and i keep daimian as robin YAY

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.