Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Is Kingdom Come a Good read? If not what should I read instead

TheAdriaticSea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheAdriaticSea

I just finished a bunch of DC comics and I was wondering if I should read Kingdom come. I finished the Sinestro Corps War and all the Prelude's to blackest night.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Caligula

Kingdom Come is pretty good. It's a classic. But at the same time it's a little preachy and overly religious. (literally quoting scripture). But all in all it is good. so yeah pick it up if you can handle being beat over the head with the bible.

Overkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Overkill
    @TheAdriaticSea: 
     Well, I dunno, it's just... ONE OF THE GREATEST COMIC BOOKS IN ALL OF THE HISTORY OF UNIVERSE!!
    So yeah, I think you should read it.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Yes, a very good read. 

It is very acclaimed and very popular as well. Instant classic, plus has many fun moments. I agree with Caligula, in that its a bit preachy, and it is like a love letter to older stories within the context of present, or then present, which is a scary and immoral place. If you don't read that however, I would recommend Nextwave. Also very good, but quite different from Kingdom Come. Nextwave has Elvis Modoks for example, which is only one of the its more titillating attractions. 

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

It's great. The art is amazing too :) 

When I read it, I didn't know a thing about the DCU, so I had to pay a visit to the wiki websites (like this one) to bring me up to speed :)

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Caligula: Its a loose interpretation of revelations so of course its a bit preachy thats the point of the story aside from that Its one of the best stories out there and the art is amazing  
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Caligula
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @Caligula: Its a loose interpretation of revelations so of course its a bit preachy thats the point of the story aside from that Its one of the best stories out there and the art is amazing   "
    I agree. I think it's great. But regardless the religion in it is a little heavy handed. Although that does not detract from the story.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Caligula: I actually thought the Quotes from revelations added to the gravity of the situation,it made you feel like this really could be the end of the world and the fight between Superman and Captain Marvel was in my opinion the most well done of any of their previous encounters 
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Caligula
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @Caligula: I actually thought the Quotes from revelations added to the gravity of the situation,it made you feel like this really could be the end of the world and the fight between Superman and Captain Marvel was in my opinion the most well done of any of their previous encounters  "
    I wouldn't disagree with you about the fight. But I do think the comic would have been just as good without the scripture. Or perhaps even better with maybe some Plato, Socrates, or Nostradamus quotes.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Caligula: I can see your point I just feel that it added something to the story and no I'm not a religious person but even I gotta admit whoever actually wrote revelations new how to set a frightening scene but  I do think that some Plato or Socrates could've also benefited the story 
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Caligula
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @Caligula: I can see your point I just feel that it added something to the story and no I'm not a religious person but even I gotta admit whoever actually wrote revelations new how to set a frightening scene but  I do think that some Plato or Socrates could've also benefited the story  "
    totally :D
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Two words for why this should be a required reading for any comic enthusiast: Alex Ross.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joshmightbe
    @RedheadedAtrocitus: I'd make it required reading in schools if I could
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@joshmightbe:
    Right on!
    SCC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redheadedatrocitus: @joshmightbe: Hey I just wanted to mention. 2 years ago a teacher started a 'comic book course' at my school (Grade 12 english credit) and we read Kingdom Come. so it is in the school curriculum in some places... :)

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Rich711

Anytime a fanboy says IT IS THE GREATEST BOOK OF ALL TIME!!! without fail it is NOT a good read. Yes, it was a cool looking book and a really interesting take on the universe and it was one of the first to do certain things in comics but that was years ago so any originality can only be appreciated knowing it preceded the other books you have seen do the same thing since. Kingdom Come is by no means a good read.

That is unless you are one of the people that dont read books without pictures and think your Superman book is as thought provoking as Plato and belongs in every high school curriculum. In which case it will be a challenging read for you on the bus to your hourly wage job.

Otherwise it's a beautifully drawn (or painted) book that isnt very fun and gets super tedious.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a great read, but it does require some previous knowledge of the DCU to get full appreciation out of it. When I first read it, I was just starting to get into comics and I enjoyed it. But, when i recently re-read it I noticed all the little things in the backgrounds and better understood the relationships between the characters. It is not a non-stop action extravaganza, and it can get a little slow at times. But, if you're like me and can enjoy a slow story (if you loved 2001: A Space Odyessy) you should like it.

Also, keep in mind that it was written with a message in mind. It was made in 1996, during the 90's XTREME era of comics and the book is sort of a reaction against the gun toting, snarling, pouch equipped anti-heroes of the time. It presented a future where the public adopted those heroes and rejected classic heroes like Superman and in post-modern style presented what the world would become with such heroes.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By ComicStooge

It's my favourite comicbook of all time, dude. I'd certainly recommend it

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deaditegonzo

Best comic book of all time. It reignited my passion for comic books. Read it, and never take advice from somebody who is overtly pompous.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story is good but the art is amazing.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caligula said:

Kingdom Come is pretty good. It's a classic. But at the same time it's a little preachy and overly religious. (literally quoting scripture). But all in all it is good. so yeah pick it up if you can handle being beat over the head with the bible.

This

And like someone said before, it's an allegory of how in the 90s fans wanted murderous anti-heroes.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I didnt enjoy it.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CuddleBear

I don't agree with the word "preachy" everyone is throwing around or "beating you over the head with The Bible". It uses the book of revelations to tell a story, its not like the book is trying to convert you. Also The Bible is the most influential book when it comes to works of fiction. So we would have to torch the whole library to "cleanse" fiction of its influence. Finally, The Book of Revelations and Daniel are made for comic fans and big budget apocalyptic movies.

It adds weight to the story, with The Spectre and everything, simply said IT'S COOL don't let The Bible scare you away from reading it. As an atheist I think taking The Bible literally is insane, but if you enjoy fiction I think reading The Bible should probably be mandatory... just ya know don't go chopping things off parts of your body or stop eating shellfish because a book written by men (just my thoughts) 2,000 years ago told you to... that would at least be my humble suggestion.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@theadriaticsea: You shouldn't read Kingdom Come.

You should WORSHIP Kingdom Come!!!

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Kingdom Come in my opinion is one of the best DC stories period. Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't checked it out yet

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.