Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

is it true disney is going to buy DC?

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I hope not. It would be bad for competitive business.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@thorson: Not ever going to happen. Ever.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

No, it is just some news sites that like to speculate the 'what if's' since Disney could now buy Time Warner (that owns DC) since Rupert Mudock has pulled out.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Well we would get better live action films, but I don't want to sacrifice the excellent animated films we get, or the good games.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson: Competition is bad for business. Ask Disney.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

It's just some bull**** rumor that got out of hand. Although I will admit, it would be cool to see Darkseid singing his own villain song.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
    TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No - that eliminates competition and that's to negative effect. Why on earth would Disney buy DC? For Shock Value?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Well we would get better live action films, but I don't want to sacrifice the excellent animated films we get, or the good games.

We would get the same jokey nonsense Marvel has been putting out with sub standard villains. If this happens and they hand the Movies over to Marvel, I'm taking a shower with a toaster.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

It's just some bull**** rumor that got out of hand. Although I will admit, it would be cool to see Darkseid singing his own villain song.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Oh, I seriously doubt it.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#11 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Can't see it happening somehow.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@thorson: Competition is bad for business. Ask Disney.

To be exact, it's bad for everyone else but Disney, if this was real.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
    TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

Oh, I seriously doubt it.

Likewise, yeah. (Okay - now I'm just posting random stuff).

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Highly doubt it, I wouldn't like this move anyway, Disney would be way too big, and it would really be a monopoly on the entire media industry

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never gonna happen.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

It would be kind of interesting to see what happened if Disney did buy Time Warner. They have actually talked about buying both Sony and Time Warner, so it wouldn't be super shocking, but it wouldn't be likely since they already made enough money without them.

Gloombot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't think so... and honestly I think Time Warner is already big enough. It's not in any amount of trouble to need to be bought up by Disney, if anything I can almost see Disney breaking into subsections and some of those subsections being bought up by Time Warner or Sony.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I wonder if this could lead to Captain Marvel getting his name back?

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

No it was just a stupid theory suggested by Hollywood reporter don't read in to it. Common sense people.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Really?! Live action TV episodes on movies screens that's what we get from Marvel/Disney not actual films. Seriously what do have against a movie studio that actually lets filmmakers do what they want with the characters as opposed to producers visions. WB is an actual movie studio and a good one.

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give this man a job at disney.

JonardBolante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be less concerned with DC and a little afraid of Disney owning the whole thing, its industry would be really huge and strong. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney, and I love DC, both of them are my favorites. But I just feel like Disney owning DC Universe would be too powerful...

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it can happen. There's an organisation (the name of which I've forgotten and am too lazy to Google it) which is set up to make sure that business as a concept can continue. Obviously buying Disney buying Time Warner would make Disney more money in the long run, and they could use that money to buy another company, and then use that money to buy another and so on until Disney owns hundreds of companies and essentially rule the entertainment industry. Obviously, that would be bad. So there's this thing in place to stop anything like that happening.

So even if Disney offered a hundred trillion dollars to buy Time Warner they probably wouldn't be allowed because then they would pretty much be running a monopoly on the comic book industry by owning both Marvel and DC.

So no, Disney isn't buying DC.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes, Super man will be replaced by Mickey Mouse.

Deathstroke02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

Yes, Super man will be replaced by Mickey Mouse.

aslan10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Let's look at the positives for this, in part the marketing.

Bare in mind, Disney is successful with it's marketing strategy, heck Mickey Mouse is practically everywhere... so where's Bugs Bunny, huh?

DC always said that the reason for the New52 was to draw in new readers... A.K.A. more straight 24 year old men. Marvel on the other hands knows better and appeals their superheroes to kid and teenagers and other folks that would wanna get into comics.

Say what you will about Marvel's animated shows, (Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, and Hulks: Agents of SMASH) but at least they're appealing more to children as apposed to DC's animation being more only for adults.

So if Disney buys WB/DC, they could help with their marketing strategy; even lending a fund to help with that. They're likely to stay seperate so DC and Marvel won't be the same universe, thou there's always the crossovers (DC characters in Disney Infinity, anyone?)

Another positive is that DC live action movies can be fun, as opposed to just being joyless and hollow to prove "How mature they are." This is Superheroes after all, they should be bright, inspiring, and most importantly... "Heroic" and fun.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be all over a Disney princess styled Wonder Woman animated movie.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RustyRoy

Let's look at the positives for this, in part the marketing.

Bare in mind, Disney is successful with it's marketing strategy, heck Mickey Mouse is practically everywhere... so where's Bugs Bunny, huh?

DC always said that the reason for the New52 was to draw in new readers... A.K.A. more straight 24 year old men. Marvel on the other hands knows better and appeals their superheroes to kid and teenagers and other folks that would wanna get into comics.

Say what you will about Marvel's animated shows, (Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, and Hulks: Agents of SMASH) but at least they're appealing more to children as apposed to DC's animation being more only for adults.

So if Disney buys WB/DC, they could help with their marketing strategy; even lending a fund to help with that. They're likely to stay seperate so DC and Marvel won't be the same universe, thou there's always the crossovers (DC characters in Disney Infinity, anyone?)

Another positive is that DC live action movies can be fun, as opposed to just being joyless and hollow to prove "How mature they are." This is Superheroes after all, they should be bright, inspiring, and most importantly... "Heroic" and fun.

I see more Bugs than Micky, also WB is home of Harry Potter, LoTR/Hobbits, Batman, Superman, The Matrix, Lego etc. WB makes more money in movies than Disney.

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JestersJoker

From the all the articles I have read Time Warner has made itself an acquisition target.

So the question is who will buy Time Warner not if.

Murdoch offered Time Warner around 65 billion. This tells me if Murdoch wanted Time Warner he could acquire it but it would be thru a hostile takeover because Time Warner does not want to be acquired by FOX and Murdoch just did not want to acquire Time Warner thru a hostile takeover so he withdrew his bid or offer.

Walt Disney has a cap of 150 billion and it too could acquire Time Warner even if it is thru a hostile takeover.

I think it would be a foolish move for Walt Disney to pass up this opportunity to acquire Time Warner.

Not because of the comics, but because of all the other companies Disney would acquire. It would be a win win for both Time Warner and Walt Disney.

The only downside that I see would be the DC comic book division and the Marvel comic book division whether the Warner/Disney company merges the two companies or not.

If the fan based media makes a big stink about a monopoly it would mean a lot of good writers and artist "could" be laid off. I mean if both Marvel and DC together make up 86% of the monthly comic periodicals and the rest only make up 14%. That would mean Warner/Disney would have to reduce their monthly periodicals and bring the percentage down to maybe 60% of all the periodicals being published or to whatever it would take to get the approval of any anti-trust laws. Personally I do not see any anti-trust laws being broken, but that’s me.

I guess if there are some laid off writers and artist they would either have to seek employment from the 14% or start their own comic book company to compete with Marvel/DC comics.

Years ago, I think in 2002 or 2003 there were efforts by AOL Warner and Walt Disney to merge ABC with CNN and possibly merge the two companies but when CNN Chairman Walter Isaacson abruptly announced his resignation the CNN-ABC merger was called off hopefully to be revived at a future date.

So if Time Warner still wants to merge CNN with ABC as well as with Walt Disney “NOW IS THE TIME”

Avatar image for albertphytagoras
    Albertphytagoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney buying Time warner is like saying that Coca cola is going to buy Pepsi...

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Saint_Sophie

Nope. Unless Disney is somehow going to buy Time Warner as well.

Plus as mentioned above, if they did, Disney would be running a monopoly.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like it. Imagine how much better dc movies would be and all the crossovers.

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

...What's really weird is that my first concern is how they would fix the continuity of Atlantis. (Aquaman and Namor can't both be king) Talk about screwed priorities, huh?

I wonder if this could lead to Captain Marvel getting his name back?

Now there's a plus side!

graham1699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By graham1699

I hate that they screwed with Star Wars when they bought Lucasfilms. I knew when I heard that they had bought it that they would "Disney-fy" it. Now there's that new show Star Wars Rebels and they're having J.J. Abrams direct the new movie instead of George Lucas. They could at least let him keep making his own creation! Sure, they make some good movies, like Pirates of the Caribbean, but look what they did in the Percy Jackson movies! Totally messed with it. Episode VII is going to be a horror film for long-time fans. BTW, did any of you know that they own ESPN and Marvel, too. If someone covered this above, sorry, I didn't have enough time to read through.

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JestersJoker

As a fan of both MarveI and DC comics I am hoping that Walt Disney buys, acquires Time Warner/DC Comics

For the following reasons:

I hope that Disney/Warner Company will merge the web sites for both DC and Marvel.

I would love to sign on to a combine web site which has a tab for DC Comics, a tap for Marvel Comics and a tap for X-Men Comics. It would be nice to read the old DC comics like I read the old Marvel Comics for $60.00 a year.

It would be nice to be able to buy DC and Marvel figurines from the same company instead of being offered only DC or only Marvel figurines. The same goes for games and other merchandise.

It would be nice to go to Disneyland or Disneyworld and visit or go on superhero rides. I mean I do not think Disney can achieve the goals they set out to do with only Marvel characters; I think they also need the DC characters to really make a compelling superhero theme park.

Walt Disney & Time Warner merger

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

It would be kind of interesting to see what happened if Disney did buy Time Warner. They have actually talked about buying both Sony and Time Warner, so it wouldn't be super shocking, but it wouldn't be likely since they already made enough money without them.

Loading Video...

There is not such thing as "enough money". Companies always wants more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.