Is Flashpoint worth collecting?

#1 Posted by powderedmilkman (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I just got back into collecting DC comics after a breif break and started again with the New 52 and really enjoying it so far, but after looking online I found the whole run of Flashpoint with all the mini series and one shots for round 100 bucks, Now is this a series that is worth collecting or should I just grab the TPB's?

#2 Posted by FrankenKong (269 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a series that if you would like to see how the New 52 all began its DEFINITELY worth it. Even if you don't really care about the New 52's origins its still a VERY great series. It almost reminds you of a "What If?" series, although it isn't Elseworlds because it is canon. I'd say collect the 1-5 run of the main Flashpoint and then the TPB's of whatever characters you like.

#3 Posted by Video_Martian (5650 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say read it.

#4 Posted by KidChipotle (14728 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely read it. Flashpoint, as well as the limited series books, are all amazing reads. Extremely, extremely, interesting and exciting. Mind blowing, even.

#5 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@powderedmilkman: Frankly, if you really want to read this event in its integrality, then 100 buck seems like a really good deal. Some of the minis were really great like Flashpoint: Batman Knight of Vengeance, Flashpoint: Citizen Cold or Flashpoint: Legion of Doom but a lot of the others were just ok. And it's not necessary to read all of them to understand what's happening in the main mini-series.

In the end, if you really want to collect the whole event, then go for it, it's a good opportunity IMO. If not, then grab some of the TPB's who look interesting to you (I suggest you grab at least Flashpoint and Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring Batman)

#6 Posted by RoboShark (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

I'd say read it.

Yezzir.

#7 Posted by Billy Batson (59325 posts) - - Show Bio

I would really want the Flashpoint Batman in a trade but it's collected in a trade with other minis that I have no interest in...I would rather have it, Citizen Cold, Frankenstein and the outsider in the same trade.
BB

#8 Posted by powderedmilkman (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Then next Thursday I am going to order the lot when I get paid along with a complete run of Crisis On Infinite Earths, thanks for the opinions.

#9 Posted by Video_Martian (5650 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (10453 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is worth getting in trade. Get the main Flashpoint series and the World of Flashpoint mini series.

#11 Posted by The_Tree (8572 posts) - - Show Bio

They're not all worth it. The only ones I thought were good were Citizen Cold, The World of Flashpoint, Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown, Canterbury Cricket, Batman: Knight of Vengeance, and The Outsider.

Everything else pretty much sucks. I read them all.

#12 Posted by EisforExtinction (2014 posts) - - Show Bio

A couple of the minis are really good (Batman, Superman) but I thought the event as a whole was disappointing. It is however a lead in to the New 52 so if that interests you then it might be worth a look.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.