Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Is Doomsday the best super-powered villain in DC?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but Doomsday's entry in Superman/WW this week was pretty awesome. I just love the way that even Superman fears him, and fears him bad. He is also the perfect answer to critics of DC comics (I know a fair few), who complain that DC superheroes are too powerful. Not when Doomsday owns their butts! So is he the best super powered villain?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like him, but Doomy is used way way too much. He friggen killed Superman, they shouldn't diminish him by bringing him in all the time to job to Supes. Ideally, DC should have never used him after the Death of Superman because he had nowhere to go but down. Plus, there's only so much a writer can do with him considering he is a mindless brute without a plan other than breaking stuff.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dernman  Online

@rdclip said:

I like him, but Doomy is used way way too much. He friggen killed Superman, they shouldn't diminish him by bringing him in all the time to job to Supes. Ideally, DC should have never used him after the Death of Superman because he had nowhere to go but down. Plus, there's only so much a writer can do with him considering he is a mindless brute without a plan other than breaking stuff.

I agree. I really liked him for what he was but they should have never brought him back after DoS and if they did not they way they did. Not to mention how much they did.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The best would be ol Teth Adam or Sinestro.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he the must most power most awsome most over used mindless badass

but i would rather him be a hero an anti hero in space but that just me

yes he is the the greatest super powerd villain

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By PapiNacho

I prefer Darkseid, just as powerful and leagues smarter.

gator4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By gator4eva

I prefer Darkside, just a powerful and leagues smarter.

I agree. Darkseid is just as powerful but also has the brain and strategy to go with it. He also has motives for his destruction which kinda makes him more badass in my opinion.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yeah, I'd say Darkseid is the more likely candidate however even Darkseid has used Doomsday and couldn't actually get rid of him properly, so that's saying something about how powerful Doomsday actually is.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

He doesn't have a personality other than 'roaring monster' so he's more like an enraged animal than a character.

I agree with those saying pre-New 52 Darkseid was a much better villain, but I am not sure I would call him the best 'superpowered' villain. Damage and power-wise both the Anti-Monitor and Trigon outranked him by miles. His personality and motivation was however much more unique than theirs.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any scans from the new Superman/Wonder Woman series?

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@rdclip said:

I agree. I really liked him for what he was but they should have never brought him back after DoS and if they did not they way they did. Not to mention how much they did.

A one shot here and there is okay, and you almost expected that eventually an origin story like Hunter/Prey would get released, but not as much as they had. Like Bane from the Batman series', he was a character created solely for a specific purpose and because of the iconic status he has only sparsely used over the next ten years. Definitely night and day characters, especially when you look at intelligence, but for the type of character that Doomsday is, and he was known for, there really wasn't much they could do.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkside

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Darkseid, Black Adam, Imperiex....

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Darkseid is on the top of the list, but I always personally liked Eclipso.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Darkseid the best.

Darkseid is even more powerful, or at least I think he should be, more powerful than Superman and Doomsday, yet won't lift a finger. He will psychologically and physically crush you. The great thing about him is he will tell you he is evil and still manipulate you to join him. Doomsday is great for story reasons, so I like them and won't knock them, however they're not multi-dimensional characters, but that doesn't mean they're not interesting. Doomsday had the connection with Cadmus, the mystery of his origins, the idea that he'd laugh while committing mass genocide, showed signs of intelligence, being the complete opposite of Superman, having no motive, but to "watch the world burn" (as far as we knew at the time, but it's all the mattered because he was killing Superman), etc. made him interesting.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I love Poison Ivy, Scarecrow and Bane WAY more...But Doomsday is right after Bane.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I prefer Darkseid, Lex Luthor and Doctor Sivana.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degraaf said:

Any scans from the new Superman/Wonder Woman series?

anyone??

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think doomsday is over rated. i will say however i think black adam is a top contender when it comes to best super powered villain

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black adam outgrew his hero thats how badass he is

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.