Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Is "DC Universe: Legacies" canon?

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

It's a 10-issue series from 2010 about a man telling a story about his experiences witnessing the age of Superheroes from it's birth until the present.

I'm curious because it'd help provide a timeline of different events. Ex:

The narrator's daughter was born around when Superman first appeared & graduated high-school around when he came back from "death" (so about 16-17 years). (Given her visual age, the COIE seemed about halfway in between). When Sue Dibney was murdered (Identity Crisis) he said his daughter was already practicing oncology - so it would have to be at least the time it takes to complete college & medical school from when Superman returned (HOWEVER, in his own words he compared Sue's funeral to Superman's "a few years ago" ....but I doubt his daughter finished school that quickly).

While reading late-vol2 Wonder Woman recently Diana makes some comment about being active for 10 years, which seemed like too short a time.

On the whole, between COIE & new-52 was their a consistently kept timeline in the DCU? I'd be very interested in all of this.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Sinisteri

Legacies was cannon for pre New 52.

It has no bearing on New 52, and DC has purposely not established a clear continuity for New 52 so as not to hamper their storytelling and creative abilities. Loosely, it is said these current heroes have been around for about five years with Batman having a new Robin almost each year.

There was a pretty good timeline set between COIE and New 52 with some revision events here and there such as Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis. DC used to try to specify what the new timeline and events were.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lightsout

@sinisteri: Thanks. Yea, I should have specifically specified I meant pre52 (I probably subconsciously didn't because I don't consider new52 canon, lol).

Hmm, I was almost expecting a "no", because it'd make Superman/Batman etc fairly old by the time the final issues of the pre-52 came around, and it contradicted the WW timeline (only being active for 10 years (at the time), etc -- granted this was before Legacies and you can always retcon info later on)

For that last part - what I was wondering if there was a numerical timeline kept? If outside of this 10 issue series, there was numbers mentioned for years (between major events).

Looking at Paul's daughter's life, it seems all events post Superman's resurrection happened in a TINY amount of time (that they pretty much had to happen back-to-back (The full JLA run w/Kyle, OWAW, IndC, InfC (+the full year after), FC, the various wars the GL corp brought to earth). I feel bad for the citizens of earth, lol).

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@lightsout:

Numerical timeline? Not one of which I'm aware.

I agree with you on New 52 and canon. Quality lasts, and this universe needs a dose of quality. Quality exists in what is left of Bats and GL historical integrity and in the bits of pre-52 that persists. It's the reason current writers dip into that well of established ideas only to tweak but not really create enduring new elements and characters.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lightsout

@sinisteri: Oh, I'm sure there probably isn't one (aside from a rough fan made one), it'd be too hard to force writers to stay within it's lines in all their stories. The number-nerd in me was just being hopeful.

Yea, I'm glad those 2 "worlds" only partially rebooted (especially GL - so much rich mythos was created since Hal returned).

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

DC Universe: Legacies is only semi-canon. It's meant to get you roughly up to date in broad strokes and it is told from the perspective of someone that doesn't actually know quite what happened really so it's a decent thing to look at, but not solid.

As far as timelines...

Modern Age Timeline

New 52 Timeline

The former doesn't seem to have been updated in a while (2010) and the latter I update with information as I read through. All the titles that I have read are listed and where there is info that I can't yet fit is also listed as well so... have fun

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken: Thanks. I only briefly looked - is that MA timeline just a collection of events when the comics came out? (ie: it was ordered by the seasons - not by supposed years in the comic world)

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout: The titles of the areas are based on roughly when something happened in the timeline... It's a huge timeline... that's why it's split up... not because there are multiple timelines. Click those links and you'll understand.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken: Oh, I must have clicked on a different part of the site. Because I didn't think....w/e it was you think I thought (lol) - I only saw this type of page at first, so I thought it was just a very rough timeline & only within the world (ie: "it was Fall in the DCU when this happened" ). That's cool - exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I'm gonna have to go through it & see exactly how far apart different events were.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken: thanks, man! I'll have to bookmark that for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.