Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

is DC Doomed?!

• 83 results
    js43053

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@cameron83: their stronger than they've been in years bolder too

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By _Atomikill_

Well, I have two little cousins (age 7) that I have trained to be fans of DC. They even know who Lobo is. If you asked me who Lobo was when I was 7, I would've said it was a kind of insulting nickname.

I just think we need to show kids the lighter characters- Wally West, Beast Boy and Cyborg, etc. Before long they will seep into fandoms of Batman and darker characters.

BattheMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if the 4 children you asked said so, DC is definitely doomed. Might as well cancel that Burbank move and sell Superman to Avatar Press for a one-shot Crossed story that doesn't end well.

LOL!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54  Edited By cameron83

@js43053 said:

@cameron83: their stronger than they've been in years bolder too

lol no. Apparently you don't know what the new 52 is.....and what caused it.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By RustyRoy

I wouldn't really say so...they aren't in their strongest position at the moment.

They're ruling in Games, TV shows, animations and are making almost as much profits in Movies as Marvel, in terms of comics Marvel and DC are tied so I don't see how they're not at a strong position.

Imortal18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Imortal18

GUYS GUYS GUYS YOU ARE ALL WRONG DC IS NOT DOOMED IT WILL NEVER BE DOOMED IT HAS BETTER AND MORE COMPLEX CHARACTERS DC WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN MARVEL NO MATTER WHAT

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC will never be doomed because they have Batman. Right now it's like they're actually trying to kill themselves and it's still not working.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC will never be doomed because they have Batman. Right now it's like they're actually trying to kill themselves and it's still not working.

New conspiracy theory?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simple answer: Marvel is kid friendly. Adults with kids, like myself, feel comfortable letting kids watch them. I wouldnt let my kids watch Dark Knight.

That said, im a DC fan more than a Marvel fan, so am I worried? Not really. The darker tone also means the DC movies are generally taken more seriously, treated as more than PG-13 summer popcorn films. Basically, I expect once my kids are old enough, they'll seek out the "heavier" stuff.

Whats more interesting is that by all accounts, Thor 2 is the darkest Marvel movie yet, so I get the impression Marvel is following DC more then we realize.

PotatoOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera said:

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A company that has Batman and Superman cannot fail they make too much money just off those 2 alone to not succeed.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By RustyRoy

lol True.

A company that has Batman and Superman cannot fail they make too much money just off those 2 alone to not succeed.

Completely agree but I definitely would like to see Flash, GL, WW and others on the Big Screen.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By HushoftheWind

Doom as far being less popular than marvel, then yes, but its been like that for awhile imo. Here's when i realized DC was getting stomp as far as media awarness. I had some kid cousins come over for a visit(ages:5 5 and 4). I let play Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom and they named pretty much everybody on the marvel roster that was an avenger and deadpool. I thought to myself "when the hell did deadpool become kid related?" Then they wanted to play another game so put Injustice Gods Among Us. Anybody wanna guess what 2 characters they only knew? Which is said b/c almost each DC hero has symbol on his or chest pretty much making easy for you to know who they are.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC's problem is that as big as their fanbase is, it mainly consists of fans that have followed their stuff from when they were kids... Like a lot of people here are saying, kids in this generation don't seem to be following on with DC at the moment.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By tupiaz

@deaditegonzo said:

Simple answer: Marvel is kid friendly. Adults with kids, like myself, feel comfortable letting kids watch them. I wouldnt let my kids watch Dark Knight.

That said, im a DC fan more than a Marvel fan, so am I worried? Not really. The darker tone also means the DC movies are generally taken more seriously, treated as more than PG-13 summer popcorn films. Basically, I expect once my kids are old enough, they'll seek out the "heavier" stuff.

Whats more interesting is that by all accounts, Thor 2 is the darkest Marvel movie yet, so I get the impression Marvel is following DC more then we realize.

You could let your kids read Tiny Titans it is starting again next year when is still unknown.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Well, if the 4 children you asked said so, DC is definitely doomed. Might as well cancel that Burbank move and sell Superman to Avatar Press for a one-shot Crossed story that doesn't end well.

A crossed Superman? That's a terrifying idea.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3 said:

@citizenbane said:

A crossed Superman? That's a terrifying idea.

More like wonderful idea, garth ennis writes the best twisted character types

he should pen joker actually

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if the 4 children you asked said so, DC is definitely doomed.

Hahahaha.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera said:

lol

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC has always been a bit better at pumping out cartoons. Though they may not have the same reach as a movie, they hit their target demographic at those formative years and indoctrinate them into loyal fans of Superheroes.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC has always been a bit better at pumping out cartoons. Though they may not have the same reach as a movie, they hit their target demographic at those formative years and indoctrinate them into loyal fans of Superheroes.

Good point, even if their movies aren't doing as well as Marvel's they always make quality cartoons insuring today's kids grow up with DC heroes.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dc is not doomed.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Whether it be Superfriends or the DCAU, they know how to create loyal fans.

However I think DC should put animated shows for characters not Batman/Superman so that those other characters can gain their own fanbases as well.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

My daughter had her 13th birthday party yesterday, one of her friends came over and is a big Marvel fan, loves Thor, Wolverine, Avengers etc. Neither my daughter or her friends have any time for DC, because frankly they haven't had exposure to DC on the big screen (Batman being too old and serious for them to watch). My daughter just thinks DC is too depressing and cites MOS as being a good example of a serious "non fun" film. All the youngsters I know love Iron Man, Thor and Loki best, as they are just fun characters. It strikes me that kids growing up now are more and more becoming big Marvel fans due to all the films and I wonder if DC is doomed to fall into Marvel's shadow as the years progress? What do you think? Does DC really need to react pretty quickly or risk losing a whole generation of fans?

I would recommend showing your daughter shows like Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Young Justice, Teen Titans, etc to show that DC isn't all gloom and doom.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#75  Edited By joshmightbe

DC would be doing way better with kids if they weren't being shackled to CN for their animated shows. DC is doing fine with adults but so far if you're between 9 and 17 they really have nothing for you aside from Arrow outside of the comics and video games.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

DC has Batman. Everyone loves Batman.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC has Batman. Everyone loves Batman.

Not on the internet they don't.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#78  Edited By longbowhunter

I don't think the problem with DC's film adaptations are they're too gritty. I think they're too inconsistent. Nolan got the right tone for Batman, but that tone doesn't work for Superman. Green Lantern's tone was trying very hard to emulate the Iron Man movie. That didn't work either. Then Jonah Hex was just plain out of character. In my opinion WB should stop thinking about what made the Avengers and the Dark Knight so successful and start thinking about why these characters have endured 70+ years.

All ranting aside, I don't think civilian movie goers are turning into comic fans when they leave a theatre anyway. They may be fans of the character but not necessarily the source material. I'm really not worried about young people's ignorance killing DC. Someone who genuinely a fan of comics cares about a good story, not character recognition.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@joshmightbe: Agreed. And it doesn't help that Cartoon Network seems to always go out of its way to screw over DC cartoons unless they are comedies. DC should really move their cartoons to the Hub since they treat their action shows with respect.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: not photoshop legit Byrne drawing

AustinHasten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

no offense, but someone who only watches movies isn't exactly a "big fan".

and for all his popularity. Ironman comics sell less than 40,000 issues per month this year. Which is less than Aquaman who sells 45k+ (who has never had a movie and probably has negative general opinions)

average cost of a movie ticket is 8 bucks. meaning 187.5 mil people saw Avengers. 40,000 isn't even 1%. its a fraction of it.

moreover, if a child watches the Superman flight scene and doesn't find it fun, the whole world is doomed let alone DC.

Every single thing that this guy said.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

no offense, but someone who only watches movies isn't exactly a "big fan".

and for all his popularity. Ironman comics sell less than 40,000 issues per month this year. Which is less than Aquaman who sells 45k+ (who has never had a movie and probably has negative general opinions)

average cost of a movie ticket is 8 bucks. meaning 187.5 mil people saw Avengers. 40,000 isn't even 1%. its a fraction of it.

moreover, if a child watches the Superman flight scene and doesn't find it fun, the whole world is doomed let alone DC.

Every single thing that this guy said.

agree

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..Since writing this post, I've been feeling a bit more optimistic about DC. They put out some great comics last year and the Superman/Batman movie is gathering momentum what with Wonder Woman getting an appearance and perhaps other characters too...so perhaps DC isn't doomed after all, which cheers me greatly, because whilst I like Marvel and DC, I seem to enjoy more DC stuff than Marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.