Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

is DC Doomed?!

• 83 results
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

My daughter had her 13th birthday party yesterday, one of her friends came over and is a big Marvel fan, loves Thor, Wolverine, Avengers etc. Neither my daughter or her friends have any time for DC, because frankly they haven't had exposure to DC on the big screen (Batman being too old and serious for them to watch). My daughter just thinks DC is too depressing and cites MOS as being a good example of a serious "non fun" film. All the youngsters I know love Iron Man, Thor and Loki best, as they are just fun characters. It strikes me that kids growing up now are more and more becoming big Marvel fans due to all the films and I wonder if DC is doomed to fall into Marvel's shadow as the years progress? What do you think? Does DC really need to react pretty quickly or risk losing a whole generation of fans?

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well it's much easier for kids to get exposed to Marvel characters these days because of the range of entertainment. Realistically speaking, Marvel has been putting out enough films and cartoons for these kids to get invested in. Back in the day, the people who fell in love with DC and Marvel had to read to find them (of course) and now, like I said, there's just too much easy ways for exposure.

In response to this OP, a lot of people are simply going to say "No. DC has Superman and Batman" - correct, but it's not about who's the first or the best... DC needs to step up their game if they want the type of attention/admiration that The Avengers brought in.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

I think that showing children superheroes is a good way to gain fans when they're older. Like, I liked Batman cartoons and films when I was younger, and when I became interested in comic books, Batman was the first thing I thought of. The amount of Marvel films coming out recently does seem like it could influence future comic buyers choices.

By the same logic, I also think that not making female led superhero films leads to less fans of female characters, and leads to less equality in general. Black Widows' appearances don't count for enough in my mind. We need an actual superhero with powers and a distinctive costume.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Fallschirmjager

no offense, but someone who only watches movies isn't exactly a "big fan".

and for all his popularity. Ironman comics sell less than 40,000 issues per month this year. Which is less than Aquaman who sells 45k+ (who has never had a movie and probably has negative general opinions)

average cost of a movie ticket is 8 bucks. meaning 187.5 mil people saw Avengers. 40,000 isn't even 1%. its a fraction of it.

moreover, if a child watches the Superman flight scene and doesn't find it fun, the whole world is doomed let alone DC.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I still don't understand with some fans is that before Green Lantern came out, they were fine with child audiences and kept on going on about how kids are more excited about Green Lantern than Thor, Cap, etc... Now, they don't care about child-audiences and it seems as if THEY WANT to lose a whole generation of fans.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Lvenger

Admittedly, I see where you're coming from. I was exposed to a lot of DC cartoons as a kid so perhaps that's why I prefer DC to Marvel. So the Marvel movies may make some new Marvel fans when the kids are older but you're taking a small demographic as Bane said. Plus most people who go and see superhero films have probably never picked up a comic in their life.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Outside_85

I think it goes up and down tbh. Marvel was nearly gone when the industry imploded in the later 90'ties and it's only now that they are really back on top thanks to all the movies, till then DC had the generation in their hands thanks to their extensive variety of cartoons like BTAS, STAS, JL/JLU, TT and so on.

Whats different between them now is that Marvel seems to have its sights locked on the big screen, putting out a bunch of movies for the cinemas. While DC still has it's sights set on the small screen, still putting out cartoons, but also adding live action series like Arrow, Smallville and attempts at other shows while occasionally releasing a movie.

That said, I am not sure how much more steam Marvel/Disney has in it's movie engine. IM3 was in my opinion the worst of the Avenger's family of movies, and while Thor 2 was better than it's predecessor, it too was showing signs that the writers behind these movies are running out of ideas.

I think we are at a stage where the question has been asked by both camps; What sells tickets?;

Marvel/Disney reply: RDJr. Being a jerk and a comedian and Loki.

DC/Warner reply: Batman (Let me just say that I think MoS was excellent, and I really dont see why adding Batman to the sequel is an improvement)

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

In pop culture DC is not doing so well right now but that van be blamed on the tone they choose for the movies its grittier and less kid friendly and I find does not hold up as well on repeat viewings.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sinisteri

Marvel is definitely more active in the media where the general public is concerned. They are auccessfully bringing the characters to life again and again where as DC can only give excuses as to why it is so hard to write most of its characters in movies.

I don't think this means the end of DC, but it is not a sign of good business or branding. The general public is still a target for any business.

Marvel has achieved a fanboy's dream. Almost every corner of its mainstream universe has seen the big screen while DC almost always keeps trotting out their one trick ponies Batman and Superman.

DC isn't doomed, but its Powers That Be only think in black and white while the rest of the world is seeking color.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

We need more shows like JL Unlimited,Teen Titans, Young Justice.

Non of this Teen Titans Go stuff. Comedy doesn't make life long fans. You need to be able to make an emotional connection to the character.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Sure seems like it.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: wait aquaman outselling ironman?

Yes. October numbers aren't out yet, and September was villians month. But in August Aquaman sold 44,000 and Iron Man sold 38,000

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC must be doomed if some little children like the Marvel characters for being fun to a minors appeal.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#16  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@dernman said:

Sure seems like it.

Dammnnn That pic looks epic. Where is it from?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@dernman said:

Sure seems like it.

Dammnnn That pic looks epic. Where is it from?

Just a random photoshop that I found using google.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well people complain how they dislike how Ultimate Spider Man Avengers Assemble and Hulk agent of Smash are as compared to DC animated shows like Young Justice. But the answer I always give people is that Marvel didnt make those animated shows for people of the ages of idk 18-40 those shows were made for kids 5-13 I'm guessing. And by the answer your kids have it seems they would enjoy Marvel's animated shows because they are more kid friendly than animated shows that DC has been releasing. Would you really let your kids watch something like FlashPoint Paradox? It's a good animated film I love it but of I had kids no way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's becuase they're kids. DC movies/comics/cartoons are a lot grittier, more complex, and more adult friendly. Marvel is more on the all ages side, simpler, and more fun. They are exposed to Marvel cartoons and movies now. I wouldn't say DC is doomed though

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aaaw...weres the bat family gonna go...dc is unfortanetly doomed

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By LyraFay

I wouldn't say doomed. It's audience may be older but that can help influence the younger generation to invest in DC characters, my Dad did that with Batman and Superman since he watched the old Adam West show and Richard Donner's superman movies. And we continued on by watch BTAS, Justice League and Batman Beyond etc. Are they doomed? No, they've just have to get a good frame of mind to introduce their other characters to the world that isn't Batman and Superman.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Yes, DC is doomed to not be as popular among children and teens ages 8-16 as Marvel

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrus said:

One thing I still don't understand with some fans is that before Green Lantern came out, they were fine with child audiences and kept on going on about how kids are more excited about Green Lantern than Thor, Cap, etc... Now, they don't care about child-audiences and it seems as if THEY WANT to lose a whole generation of fans.

You don't loose a generation of fans because the don't watch the series when they are born.

no offense, but someone who only watches movies isn't exactly a "big fan".

and for all his popularity. Ironman comics sell less than 40,000 issues per month this year. Which is less than Aquaman who sells 45k+ (who has never had a movie and probably has negative general opinions)

average cost of a movie ticket is 8 bucks. meaning 187.5 mil people saw Avengers. 40,000 isn't even 1%. its a fraction of it.

moreover, if a child watches the Superman flight scene and doesn't find it fun, the whole world is doomed let alone DC.

This is quiet important. People need to learn that there is a big difference between what is popular right now in a greater audience and what is popular in the comic world because those two aren't the same. WW is having some of the best selling numbers she had for years but nobody outside comics give much care for her.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now no, but ten years from now yes. How many of us became readers because of the cartoons and movies? A lot. Marvel is setting it self for a takeover of industry.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I personally don't think that DC is doomed, but they need to start making more movies that focuses on the other characters and not just Batman and Superman. Also, they probably need to start making more movies that are geared towards the entire family instead of making all of their movies too dark and gritty.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP I don't think it's really that DC's movies aren't "fun" remember Batman & Robin? That was "fun" but almost killed Batman's film franchise. Despite his movies being dark Batman is very popular with young people.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Bezza

@rabbitearsblog said:

I personally don't think that DC is doomed, but they need to start making more movies that focuses on the other characters and not just Batman and Superman. Also, they probably need to start making more movies that are geared towards the entire family instead of making all of their movies too dark and gritty.

Yes, good answer, the point I was trying to make is that most youngsters pick up a comic because they have seen a character on film and tv. People like me who grew up in the 70s, frequently love Superman, Batman, WW and Hulk the best because we remember the TV shows and the original superman movies that were always on in the late 70. In those days I believe DC had the upper hand, definitely. Believe you me, people between 8-13 now will be picking up Marvel comics in their comic store when they reach the main" comic buying age", i.e. 16-25, unless DC gets more characters onto film....

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really think that they are being doomed,just that more people are being exposed to Marvel and being more familiar with the characters rather than asking "who?"

They're becoming more active in the media and thus more people are becoming aware of them and their personal perspective on DC is subjective and everyone has different perspectives on their tones.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@gor724 said:

It's becuase they're kids. DC movies/comics/cartoons are a lot grittier, more complex, and more adult friendly. Marvel is more on the all ages side, simpler, and more fun. They are exposed to Marvel cartoons and movies now. I wouldn't say DC is doomed though

I wouldn't say DC characters are a "lot grittier." I wouldn't even say there's much of an arugment that they are just "grittier" outside Batman. If anything I'd say they're more fantastical and less grounded compared to Marvel. Sure there's Batman, but the majority of DC's big heroes are often considered more godlike, traditional type heroes.

As for complexity, I wouldn't say one company has more complex characters than the other. Both companies have their share of complex heroes.

The reason kids like Marvel is because the movies, plain and simple. There's 1) more Marvel exposure and 2) every DC superhero movie to come out recently is self serious and dark. Even Green Lantern to some extent. Some would say DC is more adult. I'd even say that's true, but both are still geared towards audiences of teenager-adult.

Also, to the OP, it's not ALL Marvel for kids right now. I think the success of DC animation contributes to getting those characters notoriety. Green Lantern Animated Series is a great example. I can't believe that show got cancelled. It was seriously amazing. Great for ALL ages too. Stayed family friendly while also exploring some pretty mature themes.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if a child watches the Superman flight scene and doesn't find it fun, the whole world is doomed let alone DC.

This, I was about pooping myself in fanboyish and joy when Superman vs Zod happened. That's the most fun fight scene I've ever seen.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No. Teenagers will still be exposed to the more "Serious" movies.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This is a good and a bad point at the same time.First off,DC really need to have more lighthearted books for youngsters to read so they can win fans from the younger authority but on the other side they shouldn't make serious characters like Batman into goofy characters that you cna't read about anymore because of their nature.Another point is that cartoons often win young fans and right now DC don't have any good cartoons up on the screen.Last year there was Young Justice and Green Lantern TAS both of which weren't exactly for younger viewers or fans.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RustyRoy

You know kids who prefer Marvel and I know kids who prefer DC. And DC is making billion dollar movies, games, I don't see how they can be doomed, and its false that kids prefer Marvel more than DC, there will always be kids who like Marvel and other kids who prefer DC, just because 2 kids like Marvel doesn't mean others don't like DC, Gotham Li'l is probably the best selling kids book now, DC's animated series are more popular among kids, and most of kids cosplay Superman, Batman characters. Also when we grow up our perspective changes, Spider-Man used to be my favorite character when I was kid, now its Batman. And Wolverine less grittier than Batman? When did that happened? The thing is you post is false.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

No dc is not doomed. Its just that your kids have poor taste.

BallPointHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BallPointHero

@allstarsuperman said:

@fallschirmjager said:
    if a child watches the Superman flight scene and doesn't find it fun, the whole world is doomed let alone DC.

This, I was about pooping myself in fanboyish and joy when Superman vs Zod happened. That's the most fun fight scene I've ever seen.

I think he's talking about the flight scene. Which was really great, since it took you on a short but incredible journey.

As for the fight scene, I thought that there wasn't really anything fun about it. Just two men zooming around and crashing into a bunch of skyscrapers while trying to beat the crap out of the other. It was basically a super-powered brawl with no finesse.

I hope that with MOS2, we'll get a more experienced Supes who actually knows how to fight.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ballpointhero: that cause superman is brawler zod on the other hand is a train fighter he could of won but was in a full on rage mode when he lost hope for his people future

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@ballpointhero: that cause superman is brawler zod on the other hand is a train fighter he could of won but was in a full on rage mode when he lost hope for his people future

Superman can actually fight. He's learned martial arts and has displayed the skills to attack pressure points and whatnot

Its just he rarely ever actually needs to use it. So they won't emphasize the skill.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: but wasn't he train by other hero like ww and batman to do that stuff?

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager yeah but in the movie he nvr taught that stuff he was just brawler and im guessing he stil will be brawler until batman and wonder woman(sparring partner) start teaching him some stuff

Avatar image for cyclonus_the_warrior
    Cyclonus_The_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 463

I love what DC is doing in their animated universe with making their movies and shows dark and gritty, personally, I think they have been owning Marvel for years in that spot, but I have to agree that their movies and sometimes shows does not cater well towards kids. Some of their shows need to be more family oriented, and another thing, they desperately need to explore the more obscure corners of their universe. More characters need exposure on the big screen. I don't care what people say, Thor may have been a big gun in the comic world, but before the Avengers and his first movie. He was pretty much unknown. And now Marvel is bringing the Guardians of the Galaxy to the big screen. That's a huge leap and seven years ago I never would have thought that remotely possible. Take a look at the characters who are going to be in that movie with potential to have their own flick. Star-Lord, that name alone is awesome enough to appeal to mainstream movie watchers and kids. So is DC doomed? No, at least not in the moment anyway. But if they continue to run behind Batman and Superman then I can even imagine long time fans losing interest in their movies.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@allstarsuperman said:

@fallschirmjager said:

I think he's talking about the flight scene. Which was really great, since it took you on a short but incredible journey.

As for the fight scene, I thought that there wasn't really anything fun about it. Just two men zooming around and crashing into a bunch of skyscrapers while trying to beat the crap out of the other. It was basically a super-powered brawl with no finesse.

I hope that with MOS2, we'll get a more experienced Supes who actually knows how to fight.

Oh oops, I made that comment at like 2 am last night. Yeah the flight scene gave me chills, it was amazing. But for the fight scene, it was awesome, how can you say you didn't like it? I don't get why people hate MoS' fights but love the Superman Unchained series, he basically fights the same way (minus the neck snapping).

Avatar image for cyclonus_the_warrior
    Cyclonus_The_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 463

@fallschirmjager: I'm glad to hear that because Aquaman has been awesome and much better than Iron Man since the New 52 and Marvel Now! launches.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

i can definitely see where you are coming from. Dc needs to make good cartoons like JL and the superman and batman animated series'. Dc needs to introduce their characters to this generation. The films need to be a little more joyful.they should make:

GL cartoon introducing the earth lanterns

WW cartoon introducing the amazons

obviously supes

obviously bats

and they should feature the new gods more as well.

nobodyisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am 15, I believe that I am a DC fanboy. But, I partially agree, tons of people at my school love the Marvel movies, but I'm pretty sure most of them haven't read any of their comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@gor724 said:

I wouldn't say DC characters are a "lot grittier." I wouldn't even say there's much of an arugment that they are just "grittier" outside Batman. If anything I'd say they're more fantastical and less grounded compared to Marvel. Sure there's Batman, but the majority of DC's big heroes are often considered more godlike, traditional type heroes.

As for complexity, I wouldn't say one company has more complex characters than the other. Both companies have their share of complex heroes.

The reason kids like Marvel is because the movies, plain and simple. There's 1) more Marvel exposure and 2) every DC superhero movie to come out recently is self serious and dark. Even Green Lantern to some extent. Some would say DC is more adult. I'd even say that's true, but both are still geared towards audiences of teenager-adult.

Also, to the OP, it's not ALL Marvel for kids right now. I think the success of DC animation contributes to getting those characters notoriety. Green Lantern Animated Series is a great example. I can't believe that show got cancelled. It was seriously amazing. Great for ALL ages too. Stayed family friendly while also exploring some pretty mature themes.

I was talking about the movies being more complex and grittier.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Opinion Opinions. I took my 13 year old cousin to see it and he loved it. And so did several of his friends.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WIshIWasSuperman

@ballpointhero said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Oh oops, I made that comment at like 2 am last night. Yeah the flight scene gave me chills, it was amazing. But for the fight scene, it was awesome, how can you say you didn't like it? I don't get why people hate MoS' fights but love the Superman Unchained series, he basically fights the same way (minus the neck snapping).

Kids love that kind of stuff - I know my nehpew's favourite thing is watching the hero kick the bad guys a@@

js43053

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By js43053

DC will never be doomed in fact they seem more prone to evolve then ever

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@js43053 said:

DC will never be doomed in fact they seem more prone to evolve then ever

I wouldn't really say so...they aren't in their strongest position at the moment.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.