Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Is anyone else disappointed with how WB handles DC stuff

• 79 results
    flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By flameboy298

@knightfall225: Its really amazing that it only made like 7,800 at the box office I mean Just Wow

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith: In a way its a good thing that DC is starting JL late because by that time Avengers should have atleast 2 more movies by that time until their done.Unless

They plan on making atleast 5

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be then I realized. DC is only falling behind in the movies. Everywhere else they have been doing good. They have been putting out good comics, they have been putting out great games (Lego, Injustice, Arkham), they have had excellent and memorable TV shows through the years, they have been producing amazing animated movies, their characters can been seen at many amusement parks, and I see more people walking around with a shirt with a DC hero logo than a Marvel one. DC is only falling behind on the big screen though the Dark Knight trilogy is probably one of the best superhero trilogies around (how was Iron Man and Spiderman again?)

Completely agree. DC isn't much behind movies too, TDK Trilogy was very successful, so is MoS and games are just as profitable as movies and DC has a huge lead in that category, they're also better in animation and TV series, and TV shows are very profitable too.

The thing is Marvel had the chance to work with many studios, so when Hulk flopped and Incredible Hulk was a average hit they went to Paramount from Universal, where they found success, and then the went to Disney, if Iron Man wasn't successful then we'd probably never get to see the Avengers, just like if GL was a success we could've had a Flash and WW movie along with a GL sequel by now, WB is trying to take it slow, it may seem that they don't know how use these characters but they know more than us, WB is the biggest and most profitable studio in Hollywood, if they were dumb they couldn't have made that much money.

Another thing is WB doesn't see Batman or Superman simply as a part of DC, Batman is a franchise in its own, a bigger and more profitable franchise than Avengers, WB sees them as LoTR, Harry Potter, James Bond, Sherlock Holmes etc, they can make Batman movies years after years without bothering about other DC properties, to them Batman and Superman are more of a property than DC.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

I think most people are disappointed. It's 2013, we have a movie with a talking space raccoon yet still no Flash or Wonder Woman film.

This.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I feel like us comic fans have a hard time being patient. Why are we in such a rush? Would you rather have an amazing WW movie in 5 years, that was thought out well, took it's time, and wrote a complex script. Or have them rush it to next year and have it be awful. Be patient, it's not going anywhere, the more thought they put into it, the better it would be.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@gor724 said:

I feel like us comic fans have a hard time being patient. Why are we in such a rush? Would you rather have an amazing WW movie in 5 years, that was thought out well, took it's time, and wrote a complex script. Or have them rush it to next year and have it be awful. Be patient, it's not going anywhere, the more thought they put into it, the better it would be.

Good point, it's like people want a movie rushed out whether it's good or not so so we can say we have a movie. I rather they take their time and make a good movie then try to hurry out some crap just so they can say they did it.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By fil123

How can you be disappointed (other than batfleck)??? DC has finally got a movie universe!

all in all WB produced the best comic book movie ever (TDK), best trilogy, and now has a universe. Yeah theyre doing fine.

negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By negamegas

A bit yes but at the same time no.

While I'm disappointed that WB hasn't taken full advantage of the DC Library, I still like what we've gotten recently. Yes, I liked the Green Lantern film and felt it was underrated and really don't get the hate for it. Plus I don't like it how Cartoon Network which I think is owned by WB, cancelled some great shows (Young Justice and Green Lantern the animated series) and replaced them with a probably mediocre show(Teen Titans Go!) course this is probably more CN's call then WB but you get the reason for my hate.

That said people forget something though: WB has been REALLY Good when it comes to putting out all the old shows/movies of their DC properties for the most part. I mean think about it, We've gotten the Superman Film Serials, The New Adventures of Superman, Superboy, and Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman on DVD released in FULL! Plus let's not forget their various Animated DC Shows they've released on DVD through the years. The Superman Theatrical Cartoons(They're public Domain but they're the best versions of them out there), The New Adventures of Superman(Though there's still some missing episodes as it's not fully released yet), The Filmation DC shows, The Filmation Batman show, Aquaman's filmation show, All of the Super Friends shows, That 80's Superman animated show, and let's not forget of course The Bruce Timm Universe has been released in full on DVD too! Sure there's the other half of The New Adventures of Superman that hasn't been released, The Adventures of Superboy cartoon that hasn't been released either due to the rights battle at the time, Probably the same with the Filmation Batman show, and the other 90's/2000's DC shows that haven't been released on DVD like Static Shock and Legion of Superheroes but when it comes to those home releases, they've been more then generous when it comes to those releases as opposed to Disney/Bueno Vista with their release of the Marvel shows they've done. Like really, where the bloody hell are the rest of the Spider-Man shows and their release? Plus what about Hulk, Silver Surfer, the Hanna Barbara Fantastic Four, The Marvel Super Heroes Hour, Avengers United they Stand, Spider-Woman, the various other Fantastic Four shows, and the Thing's show as well?

See that's Disney's weak spot yet WB's strong point, I mean hell has any of you checked out WB's Treatment of Tarzan? As a Tarzan fanatic I must say I'm surprised how well WB has handled their Tarzan related stuff as they're releasing not only the various Tarzan movies on DVD and let me tell you there is A LOT but also releasing some of the various television shows as well. NEVER would I expect that to happen and yet here we are.

So in conclusion, while WB may be handling their DC properties poorly when it comes to their big screen debut as in they're not using DC to it's full potential, when it comes to everything else for the most part on television then they're doing a good job save for some recent things. But when it comes to the home media release of their shows, they pretty much DESTROY Disney/Bueno Vista when it comes to this and I wish Disney/BV would take notes on this.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do I keep stumbling into fail threads... just... nnnggghh.. look away, dude, look away.....

OK I can't help myself.

Most people who are jumping up and down about how WB/DC don't know what they're doing are either Marvel fanboy-DC haters, or have absolutely zero perspective. A saying about seeing a forest for the tress comes to mind...

To those without proper perspective. Relax. It's 1 - not that big of a deal, and 2 - under control. WB and DC have actually been doing this quite successfully for a long time and I'm sure will continue to do so. GL was their first attempt to boot into the "shared universe" area and unfortunately it failed. BUT they didn't just give up - they tried again with MoS and guess what? Success! $650 million later they've got an idea of where they want to go. WW, Flash etc... we'll get there. One day. But here's the thing - people forget WB/DC got stuck thanks to Nolan. They couldn't do a shared universe with the "Nolan Batman" - simply because he didn't want to. They screwed around with directors on the last Batman franchise and look where that ended up. So lesson learned, they figure "let's just let Nolan do his thing". Somewhere around $2.5 Billion dollars in gross takings later, they're ready to get going. Not exactly a bad business decision given it came off a single character franchise over 3 films. The fact is they couldn't do a shared universe WITHOUT Batman and they couldn't introduce a new or different Batman at the same time as Nolan's Batman either. So they got stuck in limbo. Once it was nearing it's end they decide to go out on a limb with GL and paid the price for it. Nothing wrong with the character, nothing wrong with the cast - poor script and poor director choice however = poorly received film that makes no money. One of the biggest issues GL faced (to me, and excluding the choice of villain which I think is also key) was that it tried too hard to be like the Marvel films. Bright, and comic-booky with the humour and such. Now, while I think all that's fine - it only works when it's a natural style and progression of the character and people involved in making the movie - not just an attempt to rip-off what someone else has and is currently doing. It feels forced and comes off tacky instead. Around the time of this they then figure that Superman might give them another chance and it did. It had a different approach - it lended that "real world" style from Batman and it worked. Some might not have liked it but the reality is, it made a good amount of money. So now that they know where to go - that's it. MoS is now the setting for their universe (I personally don't think this was the original plan though).

So how do they do that? Well, Batman makes tons of money so why not get him back on screen so they can use their two most iconic and profitable characters to launch this entire universe and get all these characters up and running by using BM/Supe's to head up and into a JL movie. From there, character popularity can determine which ones are going to work solo, and which ones only work in a team dynamic.

Now, let's pretend we're Marvel. Marvel were struggling with their characters at the mercy of other studios. Sure I maintain they had some input, but over-all they couldn't really determine much and call the shots. We want to launch a Marvel universe into the movies, but our biggest titles are taken. So they take a chance with a slightly lesser known/popular character, they get a perfectly cast actor who let's face it - needs the work, a good writer and a good director and make an absolute hit - a film that audiences of all ages really get behind. As we said, we want to make an entire universe with our characters, so now that THIS one has done so well, we can use that to link to another one. Alone none of these characters are necessarily popular or the most well known, but they've been around for a while, people recognise the names - so if people like one, they'll check out the other - as long as they KNOW they're connected. Enter the post credit teaser. So they string four character films together, which while successful (well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad), aren't exactly being the massive blockbuster hits that Batman is. BUT we've got a great director/writer and are sticking to our plans - resurrect a character who hasn't been able to gain some traction as a solo property, team him up with these other guys that are doing pretty well (and 1 in particular doing VERY well) and hit box-office gold. That whole process took 4 years to complete (in which time we're now backed by the largest and most profitable movie studio in Hollywood) and it's also been worthwhile as we can leverage this $1.5 billion property for everything else we still want to do - we've got credibility, brand recognition, and plenty of material available and no end in sight.

Meanwhile across the road is their biggest competitor who has made more from 1 character than any of theirs, but hey - that's all they've got so it's fine. Except they're about to start what Marvel did 5 years ago now, off the back of an almost $2.5 billion franchise, and while they're looking to get into the 2nd phase of character films and try some other random titles, DC have also launched their new universe tester film to the tune of $650 Million (which no Marvel character matched in their first outing) and are about to combine that character (who is arguably the single most iconic and recognised character in the history of comic books) with their $2.5 billion character (arguably the single most popular character in comic books and CBM's overall) as the follow up move - to then (most likely) lead into a team up movie that features far more iconic and well known characters than any of Marvel's ones (with the exception of Spider-man I guess, except he's over at Sony) to take on Avengers.

So how about everyone get some perspective on exactly what's happening over at WB and DC. If they tried to keep up and in time with Marvel, we wouldn't have had the TDK trilogy - it's that simple - and they wouldn't have $2.5 billion to justify keeping on going (necessary after GL's outing). And we'll likely get a JL film in the same amount of time as it took to get to Avengers (assuming they hold to 2017 as it's currently believed), but without any of the filler. GL can come back in the same way Hulk did (who they still can't decide if he's capable of carrying his own film). In fact Superman/Batman and the idea of a JL film alone is already generating more press and buzz and excitement than any of the moves Marvel did 4 years ago. So they don't need to vocalise what their plans are - it's more interesting to let us talk amongst ourselves and then surprise us with something we didn't see coming.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith said:

@flameboy298 said:

Well atleast Warner Bros aren't in the situtation that Marvel is in they sold the rights to their characters to other studios

True. On the other hand, Marvel has the television rights to those characters, such as Spider-Man and the X-Men, along with television series in the works which would presumably tie into their Cinematic Universe. Even if people from the two properties don't appear in a movie, they can appear in a television show. Also, Sony is open to working with Marvel: The Osborn Tower almost appeared in The Avengers, and only didn't due to technical difficulties.

So which would you prefer?

WB/DC, who owns all of their characters and does NOTHING with the vast majority of them, and those they do put out they make as dark as they can?

Or Marvel, who may not own ALL of their characters, but is squeezing as much of them onto screens as they can, and in such a way that you could film turning the pages of a comic book and get the same tone?

GL was dark? Didn't seem dark to me. I also don't believe MoS was "dark" either - to me that's just people being closed minded, presumptuous, and resistant to something different to the Superman of the 70's and 80's (even if they don't like that one either). Check out John Campea's thoughts on MoS from the AMC Movie Talk review and you'll see what I think of it being "dark" as I agree with him 100% and honestly - he's far more eloquent than I am. Or don't. Frankly I don't care. Your entire post just sounds like the same dribble of Marvel fanboys (which you may or may not be) that completely forgets how things have actually progressed and what it's taken to get to this point, and especially what WB/DC has had to do to get to this point also.

As for television series tying into their cinematic universe - colour me unimpressed. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is an absolutely terrible show. If any others they are planning are going to be like that - count me out personally (but hey - that's just me I guess). I gave it the first 5 episodes to try and get me in. Just.... Suffice to say I want those hours of my life back.

Also, squeezing all their characters onto the screen at once - may not be the best idea either - but for that we'll just have to wait and see.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

@flashknight said:

@the_stegman said:

I think most people are disappointed. It's 2013, we have a movie with a talking space raccoon yet still no Flash or Wonder Woman film.

This.

No Caption Provided

One of my favorite pictures on the matter.

Marvel said the same thing about Ms. Marvel.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

She's more confusing than WW, or at least requires more MU knowledge. And they're still giving us a talking space raccoon with a machine gun. And a tree.

That can also be said bout Marvel, Marvel is giving us a movie about a talking raccoon before a female Superhero movie.

mkukie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not any more. They have been making big strides in their animation department and we'll soon get more movies once

Supes/Bats comes out. Marvel is cool but I'll always believe that DC is doing abetted job all around

mkukie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why people are getting on DC's case for using Bats and Supes a lot. Marvel uses the Avengers the EXACT SAME WAY they are both exploiting their best heroes. But if anyone should take

Flak is the Thor movies. I mean come on LOKI LOKI LOKI? There has to be better

Antagonists

flashrobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mkukie68: Im Glad Marvel has their own Universe now and DC doesn't :)

mkukie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashrobin: for the time being. Batman is meeting Superman and Green Arrow is meeting The Flash so the DCU foundation is being built over the next year (+) or so

negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@flashrobin: Yep, a Movieverse where we still won't see their flagship character in for another 10 to 20 years. :D

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mkukie68: Hope the rumours are false about Arrow merging into JL...that show has horrible actors

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are a profound disappointment.

It was always downhill from when they announced Snyder as director and the writer of Ghostrider 2 to kickstart their universe shared universe.

What they should be doing is growing their properties via HBO and The CW, whiel working on developing a shared universe of their biggest properties.

Not this fake ultra realistic Nolan crap, but something like the universe of the animated series, or DCU Online, or Injustice.

Honestly, that opening cinematic from DCUO has already surpassed any DC movie that will ever come out with the way things are going.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By StrangeMan

I honestly can't figure out the logic behind some people here, you want DC to pump out movies like Marvel with yearly releases, but then you say that they shouldn't rush because they'll screw it up?

Seriously, I rather go a decade without any DC movies to get a good JL movie before a rushed and crappy JL movie just because some immature fans are impatient.

Also, the whole "we still don't have a Wonder Woman or Flash" argument has no legs to stand on, because Warner never NEEDED to use those IPs, just because you have the rights to something doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. The whole Superhero movie boom started way back in 2008, and back then they couldn't do a Cinematic Universe like Marvel was doing because of the Nolan Batman trilogy, but this still wasn't a problem because Warner didn't need any superhero movies, they have a million other non-comic book IPs to choose from, they pump out like 50 movies a year, they are in no way dependant of superhero movies, and DC unlike Marvel didn't have their own movie studio (DC Entertainment has been around like what, a year or two?). So to say that they're incompetent for not doing movies THAT THEY NEVER HAD TO DO is simply idiotic. To put it into perspective, what you're all doing is like if in 2008 after Iron Man everyone was like "What the hell Marvel make The Avengers already!!".

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly can't figure out the logic behind some people here, you want DC to pump out movies like Marvel with yearly releases, but then you say that they shouldn't rush because they'll screw it up?

Seriously, I rather go a decade without any DC movies to get a good JL movie before a rushed and crappy JL movie just because some immature fans are impatient.

Also, the whole "we still don't have a Wonder Woman or Flash" argument has no legs to stand on, because Warner never NEEDED to use those IPs, just because you have the rights to something doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. The whole Superhero movie boom started way back in 2008, and back then they couldn't do a Cinematic Universe like Marvel was doing because of the Nolan Batman trilogy, but this still wasn't a problem because Warner didn't need any superhero movies, they have a million other non-comic book IPs to choose from, they pump out like 50 movies a year, they are in no way dependant of superhero movies, and DC unlike Marvel didn't have their own movie studio (DC Entertainment has been around like what, a year or two?). So to say that they're incompetent for not doing movies THAT THEY NEVER HAD TO DO is simply idiotic. To put it into perspective, what you're all doing is like if in 2008 after Iron Man everyone was like "What the hell Marvel make The Avengers already!!".

Funny seems like thats whats happening right now.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangeman said:

Funny seems like thats whats happening right now.

Yeah, sadly.

Whatever though, I stopped caring a long time ago, now with every announcement they make I pretty much expect the worst from them.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

People have got to remember that DC/WB has iconic nature to Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and even Robin behind them. Marvel had only this with Spiderman (let's be honest here). They had to establish their characters apart from Hulk because they were only known to comic book readers. Are they as iconic as Batman and Superman? Absolutely not, not even close to their stature of being more than comic book characters. And besides a lot of people actually get annoyed particularly with DC characters getting cast. You saw the reaction when Ben Affleck was cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman, people were actually making petitions and writing hate mail or making youtube videos. WB loved its because its adds a lot more to Batman vs Superman movie through hype, hysteria and curiosity. Marvel actually wished they could get that reaction. And let's not forget that Batman/Superman represent the DC universe an whole, they've almost interacted with every character since it began in the 1940s.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#77  Edited By 2cool4fun

Well WB did say we will be getting 14 more DC movies starting from 2015 to 2022,3 or 4, which if it is till 2024 it means 2 DC movies every year.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well WB did say we will be getting 14 more DC movies starting from 2015 to 2022,3 or 4, which if it is till 2024 it means 2 DC movies every year.

mkukie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: prolly won't. But I wasn't talking GA going to JL, I said GA and The Flash. And I hope you don't like SHIELD also because everyone but Coulson sucks, and frankly I just want to find out how he came back to life and then stop watching the show

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.