I'm pleasantly surprised by all the +ve reviews of DC second wave

#1 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read a few pretty good reviews on Earth 2, World's Finest, Dial H and GI Combat.

Post your thoughts on those that you have read here.

#2 Edited by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Was disappointed by World's Finest. The story is alright so far, I get that it's the first issue, but... I'm not a fan of the art. At least, not the "Present Day" art. I don't like the way PG is drawn, specifically her face (which looks a bit mannish), and her hair, once she put her costume on (the costume is a whole different can of worms I've already voiced my opinion on multiple times before). Also, her once fuller, more voluptuous body she had pre-reboot is gone (at least in 90% of the panels... in a couple panels, she's given some nice curves, but it's all too brief). She pretty much just looks like a Supergirl copy now. *sigh* The "Past" artwork is better, but still not the greatest.

I'll give it a couple more issues, but if the story doesn't blow me away and the art doesn't pick up (at least for PG... everything else looks alright, but it's like they can't get her drawn correctly. Weird), then I'll sadly be dropping it. Which is a shame, because I really want to like this. I was so excited for PG to be back, but... haven't seen anything special after one issue. Hopefully it gets better.

#3 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah. Need to read.

Is Ravagers out this week too?

#4 Posted by Saren (25694 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Nope, last week of the month.

#5 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Fck... I'm hyping that sh*t. Is it just me or do the weeks get better closer to the end?

#6 Posted by Saren (25694 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

Fck... I'm hyping that sh*t. Is it just me or do the weeks get better closer to the end?

The first week of the month is always my favorite, because of the Swamp Thing + Animal Man combo.

#7 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Just finished reading Earth-2, and now that was what I was hoping for in a new comic. Loved it on all counts, really looking forward to how it progresses. Very glad this one did not disappoint me like World's Finest.

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@ReVamp said:

The first week of the month is always my favorite, because of the Swamp Thing + Animal Man combo.

I think those'll work better as trades though...

#9 Posted by Saren (25694 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Are you saying you dont like George Perez's art? The horrors. He is by far one of the best artist Ive seen.

@Ravager4:

#11 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: On this particular work, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

#12 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that there are a lot less negative reviews than I thought there would be... and quite a few people who are actually surprisingly positive. From my reading of them, I'd have to say that they're worthy of the level of praise they're getting... sometimes even maybe deserving of even more... for my money, I thought Earth-2 was absolutely excellent. I thought Worlds' Finest was really nice as well, mostly because it dared to be something different... I like it as a re-introduction of the two characters... it plays on their strengths... Dial H lived up to my personal hype level for it, and GI Combat was enjoyable. I've said plenty of times that war comics are about as antithetical to me as possible, so for me to even enjoy the book is a ringing endorsement from my point of view.

#13 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Kids these days.... sigh. :x

@Ravager4:

#14 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Glad to hear you saying that. I would say GI Combat have the least interest for me, but I was blown away by the art. Havent read any of them including tt annuals since ill be getting them on sat. Cant wait..

@TheOptimist:

#15 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: so sorry if I'm not a fan of the same artist as you. I mean, goodness, differing opinions? The horror.

#16 Posted by Saren (25694 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

Was disappointed by World's Finest. The story is alright so far, I get that it's the first issue, but... I'm not a fan of the art. At least, not the "Present Day" art. I don't like the way PG is drawn, specifically her face (which looks a bit mannish), and her hair, once she put her costume on (the costume is a whole different can of worms I've already voiced my opinion on multiple times before). Also, her once fuller, more voluptuous body she had pre-reboot is gone (at least in 90% of the panels... in a couple panels, she's given some nice curves, but it's all too brief). She pretty much just looks like a Supergirl copy now. *sigh* The "Past" artwork is better, but still not the greatest.

I'll give it a couple more issues, but if the story doesn't blow me away and the art doesn't pick up (at least for PG... everything else looks alright, but it's like they can't get her drawn correctly. Weird), then I'll sadly be dropping it. Which is a shame, because I really want to like this. I was so excited for PG to be back, but... haven't seen anything special after one issue. Hopefully it gets better.

I didn't think it was anything great, but I don't think it was that bad. She does look better in the Past artwork though, particularly on that Time cover.

#17 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: and that's part of the problem right there. having two different artists working on the same book is just jarring, especially when one of them is clearly better. It makes the worse art look all the more inferior. and please keep in kind, people, this is just my opinion.

#18 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Relax bro. Or sis. It was a tongue in cheek comment.

@Ravager4:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.