Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

How to Get More Readers

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Over the past few years, many people have been pointing out the quality of Marvel's cinematic efforts. Films like Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, and of course The Avengers, have all gained critical acclaim and massive popularity among both comic fans and movie-goers alike. The blending of a comic book's complexity and a movie's visual and auditory experience has resulted in a multi-billion dollar franchise that has grossed over 7.5 billion worldwide. Compare this to DC, who've grossed around 3 billion, less than half of Marvel's total. Based on just these numbers, it seems that Marvel is dominating DC in the movie industry.

Recently, Netflix's Daredevil has been highly praised by many critics, being called one of Marvel's best TV series ever. While this is true, it is interesting to point out that it's the first time in a long time that Marvel has overshadowed DC in the TV industry. Shows like the 90's Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons were always highly rated, but paled in comparison to the amount of critically acclaimed shows that DC had. Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League Unlimited, Young Justice, and Superman: The Animated series have all been well received and liked by fans. This is all well and good, but all of these shows have either ended or been canceled. I believe that DC hasn't been focusing on their TV efforts correctly. The Arrow and The Flash have been reasonably popular, but they aren't making people interested in comic books, which is where DC should be trying to focus.

I had a thought, and I think it's the way that DC can start enticing people to read comic books. The DC Universe has always been organized into families and organizations. The Bat-Family, the Justice League, and the Green Lanterns are all examples of this. What I think would work for DC is to make multiple TV series' about their families, showing off a day in the lives of their members. It'd leave intrigue that would lead to more people wanting to read about the characters that are featured in each episode. Let's take the Bat-Family for example. We have two episodes about each member, one showing their first identities and experiences with crime-fighting, and one where it shows who they've become and what they look like as an experienced crime fighter. Dick Grayson would have an episode showing his cheerful career as Robin, then an episode showcasing him in his Nightwing identity. Jason Todd would have an episode dedicated to his death, then an episode that shows his anti-hero adventures as Red Hood. Barbara Gordon would have an episode as Batgirl and Oracle, Tim would have Robin and Red Robin, etc.

The Flashes could each have three episodes to themselves, the Green Lanterns could get the same treatment. Shows like this could be entertaining to both comic fans and non-comic fans. What this would do is present new and interesting characters to its audience that might spark interest in DC's stories. While interest can be sparked through normal TV shows like The Arrow, the series is designed to be self-contained, explaining everything it needs instead of leaving things out and being designed to intrigue readers into reading more. We'd all love a show about our favorite characters, but often times things like aging and special effects can get in the way of long-time series', things that won't be as much of an issue if each character only had an episode or two to themselves. Please discuss, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the idea.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over the past few years, many people have been pointing out the quality of Marvel's cinematic efforts. Films like Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, and of course The Avengers, have all gained critical acclaim and massive popularity among both comic fans and movie-goers alike. The blending of a comic book's complexity and a movie's visual and auditory experience has resulted in a multi-billion dollar franchise that has grossed over 7.5 billion worldwide. Compare this to DC, who've grossed around 3 billion, less than half of Marvel's total. Based on just these numbers, it seems that Marvel is dominating DC in the movie industry.

Recently, Netflix's Daredevil has been highly praised by many critics, being called one of Marvel's best TV series ever. While this is true, it is interesting to point out that it's the first time in a long time that Marvel has overshadowed DC in the TV industry. Shows like the 90's Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons were always highly rated, but paled in comparison to the amount of critically acclaimed shows that DC had. Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League Unlimited, Young Justice, and Superman: The Animated series have all been well received and liked by fans. This is all well and good, but all of these shows have either ended or been canceled. I believe that DC hasn't been focusing on their TV efforts correctly. The Arrow and The Flash have been reasonably popular, but they aren't making people interested in comic books, which is where DC should be trying to focus.

I had a thought, and I think it's the way that DC can start enticing people to read comic books. The DC Universe has always been organized into families and organizations. The Bat-Family, the Justice League, and the Green Lanterns are all examples of this. What I think would work for DC is to make multiple TV series' about their families, showing off a day in the lives of their members. It'd leave intrigue that would lead to more people wanting to read about the characters that are featured in each episode. Let's take the Bat-Family for example. We have two episodes about each member, one showing their first identities and experiences with crime-fighting, and one where it shows who they've become and what they look like as an experienced crime fighter. Dick Grayson would have an episode showing his cheerful career as Robin, then an episode showcasing him in his Nightwing identity. Jason Todd would have an episode dedicated to his death, then an episode that shows his anti-hero adventures as Red Hood. Barbara Gordon would have an episode as Batgirl and Oracle, Tim would have Robin and Red Robin, etc.

The Flashes could each have three episodes to themselves, the Green Lanterns could get the same treatment. Shows like this could be entertaining to both comic fans and non-comic fans. What this would do is present new and interesting characters to its audience that might spark interest in DC's stories. While interest can be sparked through normal TV shows like The Arrow, the series is designed to be self-contained, explaining everything it needs instead of leaving things out and being designed to intrigue readers into reading more. We'd all love a show about our favorite characters, but often times things like aging and special effects can get in the way of long-time series', things that won't be as much of an issue if each character only had an episode or two to themselves. Please discuss, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the idea.

How does Marvel overshadow DC's TV shows...when Daredevil isn't on television? It's on Netflix. Besides, people have been saying the same things about The Flash so even if you consider Daredevil television, they're pretty even.

As for your idea, it's alright, but I don't really think it's something DC would want to do. To WB Batman is too good for television. With that said, Teen Titans is happening so you'll be able to see that stuff happen to an extent anyway with some characters. Krypton is coming as well. If anything, I think DC has focused enough on Batman in other media. He just had one of the most critically acclaimed comic book video game series come to an end.

We're already getting a series featuring characters in The Flash mythos too. Time travel, and I'm pretty sure Wally West have been confirmed for season two of The Flash.

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sorasonic

@scouterv Perhaps overshadow is the wrong word, but what the goal of these shows would be is to get people to read more comics, not to become more popular in the TV industry. The Bat-Family series was just an example, however I do think that because of Batman is so popularity, doing a series on him first would be a good introduction the the idea of several different shows like it. It is good that DC is introducing some more characters into the Flash, and I am looking forward to Teen Titans, but it seems that those shows are supposed to be stand-alone and meant to make money on their own, not necessarily to show off the characters featured within them and sell more comics.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv Perhaps overshadow is the wrong word, but what the goal of these shows would be is to get people to read more comics, not to become more popular in the TV industry. The Bat-Family series was just an example, however I do think that because of Batman is so popularity, doing a series on him first would be a good introduction the the idea of several different shows like it. It is good that DC is introducing some more characters into the Flash, and I am looking forward to Teen Titans, but it seems that those shows are supposed to be stand-alone and meant to make money on their own, not necessarily to show off the characters featured within them and sell more comics.

I'm under the line of thinking that for now, getting name recognition is what DC is on (and Marvel too, but to a lesser extent because they get to play with Mouse Money.) I think the general audience is the main target of any media project outside of comics, and getting these names out there is what DC is wanting to do.

Also, even if Batman is popular, that doesn't translate to the same series having a successful Ragman episode and making him popular. That's the thing, people come and stay for Batman (most people,) wouldn't stay without Batman and I'm just not sure his popularity helps anyone outside of the main Bat-characters.

While I don't think DC is going to be less about comics moving forward, I think other media projects will rise to the same level of importance to DC as comics. The shows may be standalones, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. People have every opportunity to get into comics. A few years ago, nobody probably thought a show about Green Arrow would be a success, so that's something for the fans of Green Arrow. If the general audience wants to get into comics, I think there are a ton of ways to get into them. TV Shows are one way (it's how I got into it,) but even then I got into it because I liked Static Shock (and still didn't actually pick up a comic until years later. Wasn't even a Static comic.) While I think your idea has merit, and could work, I don't think it's something DC has a vested interest in right now.

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv I'm not trying to suggest that the current TV shows that DC is producing are not going to interest people in comics, but I think that that isn't their focus. I completely agree with you that DC's current focus isn't to interest people in comics, and it's very understandable as to why, however I think it might benefit them in the long run to do so. On the subject of a Batman series, I understand the flaw in the idea, but I think if they did it correctly then it might work. Thanks for the replies by the way.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sorasonic: I think, if DC wants to get people into comics, something a long the lines of the DC Showcase would be better. Couple of 22 minute cartoon one-offs of a character vs. their arch/on an adventure. Green Arrow's was reaLly cool to see.

No problemo, by the way.

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv I've never seen the DC Showcase, although from what I just watched, it seems similar to what I was thinking, but shorter and with less detail.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sorasonic: For what it was though, I thought it was pretty cool. Take that direction, add in some background, maybe 45 minutes or so, I figure DC has a hit.

Green Arrow vs. Richard Dragon II

Etrigan vs. Morgan le Fay

Static vs. Ebon

Batman II vs. Blight

Etc.

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sorasonic

@scouterv Huh, these seem pretty neat. Thanks for telling me about them

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MiniSaladFresh

Not a fan of this idea really. I don't think people want a TV show where you get glimpses of characters but no real in-depth look at them. What you're describing sounds like a trailer for the comics rather than an actual show.

It's very difficult to make anyone care about a character in one or two episodes, especially enough to make them want to go buy comics about them.

What you're suggesting sounds like a disjointed show with no real continuing plot and characters who either won't develop at all or will go through huge amounts of development in the space of two episodes. Neither of those make a good TV show.

And besides, DC ARE dominating TV. Arrow and The Flash aren't just doing ok, they're doing great. The Flash is the most watched show on the CW, and I believe Arrow is second. Both of them are getting more views than Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

On top of that, while DC may not be thriving in terms of animated shows, their animated movies are demolishing anything Marvel's putting out.

And I'm not entirely sure it's fair to be comparing DC and Marvel in terms of how much money their movies are making. You're comparing DC's five movies (Dark Knight Trilogy, Green Lantern, Man of Steel) to Marvel's 11 movies. You can't seriously complain that DC's movies have made less than half what Marvel's have, when DC have made less than half the amount of movies. Maybe compare the average earnings when DC's universe is fully underway, but until then I don't see the point comparing the two.

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sorasonic

@minisaladfresh The idea is essentially a trailer for the comics, while also being far more interesting and in-depth than a 3 minute trailer. It's meant to get more people reading comics. The episodes would be designed to tell a self-contained story so that each character could get the spotlight at some point during the season. I didn't know that Arrow and The Flash are doing that well though, that's very good. I do agree on the animated movies part, DC's are fantastic. Good point about the movie thing too, however it is good to point out the ratings of DC movies vs Marvel movies; Green Lantern and Man of Steel weren't rated as well as things like Iron Man and The Avengers. Thanks for the reply.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Redatom1234

@sorasonic: the problem is DC are already doing something along these lines

Legends of tomorrow, the flash and arrow are sure to bring in some more DC characters and storylines, and prob with more depth. But I would like more showcases for the fun of it, or maybe a short like the prologue for DCUO.

Also daredevil was really good, but let's be honest, it's a tiny bit overrated.

Sorasonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sorasonic

@Redatom1234 DC's current shows aren't very effective at enticing people to read comics IMO. I understand that isn't their focus though, and I'd like more showcases too. I agree with you on Daredevil. It's very good but it is a bit overrated.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sorasonic: actually, I've encountered quite a few people, on Facebook and personally that like at least one of these shows(the flash) and although some are not regular comic book readers, they do have a slight bit of favouritism towards the show. So although DC aren't focusing on bringing in people to read comics directly, people are already doing it because of media.

Basically if you ask anyone on this site, a lot of them would say they got into comics because of TV or movies that are good/fun portrayals. I got into comics because of arrow and the batman movies. DC is just using media to improve their comic sales...it's just they're doing it...indirectly.

In the same sense the MCU has brought in a larger crowd of marvel lovers, the only thing that would screw up their sales is poor creativity

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

however it is good to point out the ratings of DC movies vs Marvel movies; Green Lantern and Man of Steel weren't rated as well as things like Iron Man and The Avengers. Thanks for the reply.

True, but then Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World were considered pretty bad too. Not as bad as Green Lantern, but I'd say that's cancelled out by The Dark Knight winning an Oscar. While Marvel tend to be more consistently good, only The Dark Knight Trilogy has really had full-on award-winning critical acclaim.

As for the show idea, I don't know, it could work but honestly I think it would be more popular with fans of the comics than with non-readers. I don't think people would have enough time to really decide whether they like the characters or not, and so they'd end up just not caring about any of them.

Or for example they might really love Nightwing but hate Red Hood, so then they're forced to watch another two whole episodes of Red Hood and have to wait weeks before they can see more Nightwing. I get that that's where the whole "it'll make them want to read comics" thing comes in, but honestly I don't think many people will think like that. Like I said, it could work, but I don't think it would be any better than the current way of doing things.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.