Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Hey, anyone remember that Jonah Hex movie?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

In that movie Jonah Hex, my absolute favorite DC character of all time, had supernatural powers pertaining to the dead. And guess what? Jonah in the comics now has the ability to see what the things no one can see as in the power to see ghosts.

NO!!!! NO!!!! WHY?!?!?!?!?! WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL DC?!?!?!? I MEAN WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL?!?!?!?! THEY ARE SERIOUSLY COPYING THAT ABOMINATION OF A MOVIE THAT WAS AN INSULT TO ALL THINGS JONAH HEX?!?!?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE SAME LEVEL OF STUPIDITY AS GIVING BATMAN A CANNON SUPERPOWER!!!!!! IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, these are dark days for DC fans indeed.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@_gaff_: I mean if this happened in an Elseworlds? Or something where he somehow GAINS that power from some Indian medicine man or in an epic fight with a demon, as Jonah HAS been known to fight the supernatural, or something epic like that? Fine!! But the whole reasoning behind it is that he was brought to the future, and now for some reason has a superpower. Yeah! Because that's logic!!! Time travel is always doing weird stuff like giving random powers to people!! Oh wait, IT DOESN'T!!!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@smart_dork_dude: I'm telling you,dude...there is just no going back with DC's new 52.

When they meant new,they meant it....I just didn't think that it meant changing essential things about the history and putting in unnecessary things that are only detrimental.

For god's sakes,they turned Bronze Tiger,one of the greatest h2h combats in the past who was a human into Tony the Tiger.

They also did the same with Catwoman's origin. Remember in that awful HalleCat movie where she died and was revived by cats or some s*it like that? I think that's what happened in the new 52......

Also she steals just because she likes shiny things now....like a real cat.....

Why don't we just give batman superpowers and ruin him,too?

I'm gonna buy a YJ comic....

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

No

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

cool i liked that movie, it was awesome with megan fox

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: May I suggest IDW or Dynamite Comics? Dynamite doesn't really have superheroes, but Pulp heroes like Lone Ranger, Zorro, The Shadow, Green Hornet, The Spider, and Black Bat(The first "bat" in comics actually). IDW has Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Judge Dredd, and stuff based around TV shows

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By cameron83

@cameron83: May I suggest IDW or Dynamite Comics? Dynamite doesn't really have superheroes, but Pulp heroes like Lone Ranger, Zorro, The Shadow, Green Hornet, The Spider, and Black Bat(The first "bat" in comics actually). IDW has Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Judge Dredd, and stuff based around TV shows

I might pick up IDW or maybe a Valiant title or something..... thank you for the suggestions

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Never read a single Jonah Hex comic, maybe he loses the powers when he gets back to the present?

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Lol I feel for you.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By batmannflash

I've never seen it nor have I ever read a Jonah Hex comic

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By WIshIWasSuperman

I saw the movie - didn't like it. Never read a comic though so no attachment to the character personally, but if you're a fan I understand why you'd be upset with a big change like that.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've avoided that movie at all costs. I too am a die hard Jonah Hex fan. Haven't read All Star Western in about a year. Sounds like I'm not going back anytime soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They also did the same with Catwoman's origin. Remember in that awful HalleCat movie where she died and was revived by cats or some s*it like that? I think that's what happened in the new 52......

It was more like the origin in Batman Returns than anything.

ViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though I've never read a Jonah Hex comic, I can feel the pain that fans have when characters are changed drastically. I've avoided the movie due to horrible reviews. Personally, I don't believe DC is going to change anything that they've done until the next crisis.

negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I do and I liked the movie.

But Jonah having powers now, huh? Man, what's next? A Black Nick Fury SUDDENLY showing up in the 616 Universe as well as Colson AND Rhodie becoming the iron patrio- oh wait....

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonah Hex went to the far future and blasted people with laser guns for years....

This is hardly the biggest departure we've ever seen from the status quo of the character.

I haven't been following lately but I enjoyed the first couple arcs of All-Star Western. Give the change a chance. Just because it may have some loose connection to an awful film doesn't mean you should write it off as a possibility all together.

Also, this isn't the same thing as giving Batman a canon power. Everyone knows Batman. Everyone buys Batman. Outside of comic book fanboys, Jonah is a relatively unknown character. That mean's, as with all less popular characters, writers are going to take a lot more liberties with him. They're going to keep tinkering with him and trying to bring in new readership.

This is the new 52. They completely gutted the the histories of characters like Tim Drake, Bane, Roy Harper, Dick Grayson and completely erased characters like Wally West and Donna Troy from continuity, ALL of whom are arguably much more popular than Jonah Hex.

All I'm saying is stay calm. Things are changing all around. You are not alone in your angst over seemingly poor decisions of DC writers.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So you're ok with JH traveling to the future but him seeing ghosts is too much? It's no big deal. And I'm a huge JH fan. After all, JH is friends and more than once has teamed up with supernatural beings like El Diablo. And the movie is also loosely based on the supernatural take of the VERTIGO version of JH. And I liked the JH movie for what it was. Nice how haters around here quickly tuned in to spew the hate for the new52. Pathetic really.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.