Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Grey Lanterns: Should they be a thing?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I know some have thought of this before, but usually it's with the idea that Grey Lanterns are emotionless and that they want to spread apathy. An interesting thought, though if they are apathetic then why would they even try doing that?

Instead I say that if they do come into being, they should be more similar to the Cybermen from Doctor Who or Vulcans from Star Trek. They have stifled emotions, but aren't really evil as they simply put logic and science above emotions. They are just as liable to save a planet as destroy it if logic dictates it.

The_Good_Loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Good_Loser
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_stegman  Moderator
    Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I tend to think of them as being neutral as possible, but I can't decide whether they would try and spread neutrality, or if they would see that as not being neutral enough.

The_Good_Loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Loading Video...

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@innervenom123: @v_scarlotte_rose: @cameron83:

I see the Grey Lanterns as being somewhat of a spy/espionage organization rather than a police force as the Green Lanterns are or a vigilante organization as the Sinestro Corps is(Yeah I always saw them as vigilantes more than outright villains in most cases). They work for the good of the universe, but as they run purely on logic how much good they do so can be debatable since what might seem like a horribly evil action would actually turn out to be the best course of action and lead to many positive outcomes.

It's basically a case of "They are for no one and for everyone"

The rings are capable of making constructs and they actually DO form constructs, but always within what is most logical. As what is logical can vary between person to person, it could simply be energy blasts and shields, or actual constructs such as hands, ships, things of that nature depending on the situation.

The rings would act as more of an emotion filter since once the rings come off they are able to feel emotion again. This makes the Grey rings more in line with the parasitic ones like the Orange and Indigo, but not to those levels as there is no great emotion to overwhelm them.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

At first I was like no. Then after reading some comments ya sure I can see this.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123: @v_scarlotte_rose: @cameron83:

I see the Grey Lanterns as being somewhat of a spy/espionage organization rather than a police force as the Green Lanterns are or a vigilante organization as the Sinestro Corps is(Yeah I always saw them as vigilantes more than outright villains in most cases). They work for the good of the universe, but as they run purely on logic how much good they do so can be debatable since what might seem like a horribly evil action would actually turn out to be the best course of action and lead to many positive outcomes.

It's basically a case of "They are for no one and for everyone"

The rings are capable of making constructs and they actually DO form constructs, but always within what is most logical. As what is logical can vary between person to person, it could simply be energy blasts and shields, or actual constructs such as hands, ships, things of that nature depending on the situation.

The rings would act as more of an emotion filter since once the rings come off they are able to feel emotion again. This makes the Grey rings more in line with the parasitic ones like the Orange and Indigo, but not to those levels as there is no great emotion to overwhelm them.

Cool idea. But how will they be chosen?

lmao

gator4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

"You have the ability to ignore great emotion. Welcome to the Gray Lantern Corps."

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@joygirl said:

"You have the ability to ignore great emotion. Welcome to the Gray Lantern Corps."

LOL XD

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Win

FUKKEN SAVED.

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck yea, bunch of nihilists and stoners fighting GLs.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By WIshIWasSuperman

I see a problem here in that all the lantern rings types represent an emotion. I understand the idea that a grey lantern corps would be logic based, not emotion based, but then what actually powers the ring? How is their strength determined? See with the existing lantern corps colours they're directly linked to an emotional state and they are powered by it and the individual wearers strength is determined by the level of emotion they posses (the amount or strength of will for a green lantern) or can inflict (such as yellow lanterns producing fear in others) right?

This doesn't work once you move away form the emotional spectrum. Essentially the Manhunters were this and look what happened there. So basically it's kind of already been done - just not as "Grey Lanterns". Also why grey? Grey isn't actually a colour or part of a colour spectrum. White and Black made sense as one is the combination of the entire spectrum and the other is a complete absence - I don't see how Grey can fit the scheme anyway.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wishiwassuperman: Have them be apathy based. The less f*cks they give the stronger they get. :P

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@joygirl said:

All that's missing is "Welcome to the Gray Lantern Corps...meh"

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By HeckTate

@smart_dork_dude: The thing you've described is the Guardians. They once had emotions but killed them off so they could be better at logic and reason. They think this makes them the smartest, purest beings in the universe, but it really just seems to make them arrogant dbags who are often so sure of themselves that they just walk into blunders/traps of their own accord.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we operate under the assumption that the Gray is a combination of the Black and the White, while it has already been established that the black is death and the white is life (and that emotions combine to form life) I'm not sure how they'd explain that. You can't really be both dead and alive. You can be undead or neither dead nor alive. It was revealed in Blackest Night that the Phantom Stranger was neither dead nor alive. If they do do Grey Lanterns, they'll probably have some connection to him. What I just said actually reminded me of a question I was wondering about years ago that I don't think was ever answered. What is Dove's connection to the White light?

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Grey lanterns, should they represent Apathy or Sadness?

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: On one hand indifference/apathy is *way* funnier, on the other hand sadness may actually motivate them to do something rather than sit around and eat space Cheet-os all day.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: The Grey lanterns would have shown up to defeat Nekron, but they just made TV constructs and watched cat videos.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

So Batman will be lantern then, an so will every single sociopath on Earth.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: True.

But, when the other corps tried to tell the Grey lanterns to get off their asses, they just gave less of a sh!t, making them even stronger.

So the key to Grey lantern victory is to regale all your long, boring stories to them so they'll give even less f*cks than they already do.

"You have very few f*cks to give, welcome to the Grey Lantern corps...meh..."

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By HeckTate

@guardian_of_gravity: I would think their main deal would be to make their opponents give up. Make it seem like there's no point to going on at all. They should be like the "Why don't you just go kill yourself" corps.

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hecktate: That makes sense. They can give so few f*cks that everyone else has less of them to give!

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aqua-lantern!

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Apathy should have been the Black Lanterns (absence of emotion is not caring. Not death, Johns, you cretin)

Joy and Sadness Lanterns are still missing.

But it's OK, because we have compassion and love. Johns -__-

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.