Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Green Lantern or Superman...power.....

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Bezza

Who has potentially the most unlimited power? I mean Superman is limited by the need for a yellow sun, whereas a Green Lantern theoretically is limited only by will power and as everyone knows the mind is often stronger than the body.

So, in much the same way as Hulk fans say his power is unlimited, due to his anger, is GL's power potentially more than Superman or perhaps any other JLA character?

The ultimate incarnations of GL and Superman have seen Superman have an edge, I believe, but should that be the other way around?

gator4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Well GL's ring could run out of battery so I wouldn't say his power is limitless. And like you said it all depends on the will power as well so if you break the will (A good example would be in the movie Justice Leage: Doom) then you can beat GL. I kinda like an edgy Superman. I think Superman doesn't go all out enough. I especially like some of his battles with Darkseid where he just cuts loose. As long as Superman isn't hurting innocents I don't mind seeing him have an edge.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By lightsout

One thing that's always "bothered" me about GL is "strength of will" vs "amount of energy put into the construct/blast/etc". That is, the rings have roughly 24 earth hours worth of charge (when used a "normal" amount). Say it has 100 units of charge. If a GL were to make a wall-construct in front of himself to stop a blast, what would determine the strength of it?

Well, we'd have to know if the oncoming blast was singular or continuous. If it's singular: if the GL put "10 units" of energy into the wall, would it be that amount of energy or the "willpower/concentration" he had while making it? Is it even possible to make a stationary object that has more/less energy? (Like when Hal put chains on Superman in JL#2, would he have been able to put more energy into them (if he knew he needed to) so they wouldn't break, or is there just 1 "level" of energy GL put into constructs?) If it was continuous I'd just have to imagine he'd have to just keep pumping energy into it (perhaps it would take "willpower" to keep doing so, but I'd still say it's more dependent on how much energy he has left in the ring).

Also, this situation makes me curious to relationship between amount of GL energy & it's power: If we compare GL Kyle to (retcon) Ion Kyle, we know hosting Ion would mean Kyle wouldn't have to recharge, but if they both fired a single beam/blast, what would make Ion's more powerful? (Assuming here that it would be). Is it just that every action of his contains more energy? (Every shield, every blast, etc etc). My guess is that that can be the only explanation. That unless you have some extra source of power, the real strength of a GL is the brain - the ability to strategize, think on the fly, & be creative in using the ring.

But to get to the point of the thread, I would say Superman definitely does. In a 1-on-1 battle, a GL's charge would run out before Superman's internal energy would. And this is going under my belief that GL power is determined by energy quantity (that is, if he wanted to do "1000 damage" instead of "500 damage", he'd have to pump more energy into the 1 attack, make it more "energy dense" if you will. And therefore his power is related to his "stamina". The willpower just allows him to control the ring in the first place, and the limited-vs-unlimited is more of a reference to their imagination & skill as a warrior).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.