Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Grant Morrison should write Green Lantern

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CuddleBear

Geoff Johns has written Green Lantern for what? a decade? Well, now he is gone and a new creative team has taken over the GL universe. I think this team should be a hold-over for several months until Grant Morrison could be compelled to take it over. I was thinking where Morrison could fit in, he has done Justice League, Batman, Superman I believe he has a Wonder Woman Earth One or something like that coming out too. I thought something off the grid like Catwoman could be cool for him... but as I went through all the books it just makes sooooooooooo much sense for Morrison to do the Green Lantern Universe and succeed John's with a long run of his own. Thoughts? Not a huge knowledge of Green Lantern just read some of John's key trades... any input good or bad would be appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Well Morrison is a much, much better writer than Johns. So I would like to see what he would do.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Morrison is a much, much better writer than Johns. So I would like to see what he would do.

This. I've saying this for a long time.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The problem is Morrison doesn't want to write mainstream comics anymore...

He recently said in an interview he wants to take "a long vacation" and focus on Tv projects etc. His last mainstream comics (for a while at least) will be Wonder Woman E1 and Multiversity.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want him for Flash too.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He recently said in an interview he wants to take "a long vacation" and focus on Tv projects etc. His last mainstream comics (for a while at least) will be Wonder Woman E1 and Multiversity.

Maybe he'll return someday?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

I want him for Flash too.

He does want to write the flash. He has some ideas for time travel stories.

@rustyroy said:

@squalleon said:

thats why i said "for a while at least".

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Morrison can be hit or miss though.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Money can easily solve that issue.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

Money can easily solve that issue.

His Batman run is constantly re-printed same with All Star Superman. His works are both popular and critically acclaimed. If there is one thing that Morrison doesn't really miss is money (or at least that is how I see it).

Anyway I think he doesn't want to do another mainstream comic now for two reasons:

1. He just finished Multiversity a project that took 7 years from his time, I don't think he wants to move right back at another long project.
    2. I think he doesn't like DC's new 52. He might not want to do a Flash run with new 52 Flash. None of his current projects revolve around new 52 characters. And with the strict rule the editorial has over DC, Morrison would probably won't like to work on terms like these.
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rustyroy said:

@squalleon said:

Once he sees that fat DC/Marvel paycheck, I bet he will.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His Batman run is constantly re-printed same with All Star Superman. His works are both popular and critically acclaimed. If there is one thing that Morrison doesn't really miss is money (or at least that is how I see it).

Anyway I think he doesn't want to do another mainstream comic now for two reasons:

1. He just finished Multiversity a project that took 7 years from his time, I don't think he wants to move right back at another long project.
    2. I think he doesn't like DC's new 52. He might not want to do a Flash run with new 52 Flash. None of his current projects revolve around new 52 characters. And with the strict rule the editorial has over DC, Morrison would probably won't like to work on terms like these.

Yeah I don't think Morrison will do anything for money, he can make enough profit from his creator owned stuff and Batman and Superman runs but why do you think he doesn't like New 52? He relaunched Superman in New 52 and Flash hasn't undergone any big changes and is comparatively untouched by crossovers events. But yeah he should work on some of his stuff before coming back to mainstream comics.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@squalleon said:

Yeah I don't think Morrison will do anything for money, he can make enough profit from his creator owned stuff and Batman and Superman runs but why do you think he doesn't like New 52? He relaunched Superman in New 52and Flash hasn't undergone any big changes and is comparatively untouched by crossovers events. But yeah he should work on some of his stuff before coming back to mainstream comics.

While I love his Superman, he became a bit lazy towards the end, same with INC, so I think he didn't like his work conditions (last minute editorial control etc etc) and he already expressed his displease in the new 52's changes in the Bat-family. The Flash is vastly different! One thing the Flash franchise was always about was legacy and that was thrown out of the window, if Morrison wanted to talk about Wally as Flash he can't do that, if he wants to tackle Jay he can't do that, if he wants to see Barry's sacrifice he can't do that. The nature of the speed force changed completely, since now it is like another dimension, full of portals and rocky floating islands rather than the lightning based corridor through time and space it seemed like pre-52, which only speedsters could enter.
    And again, I think he is displeased about the New 52's strict policy when it comes on time schedule and editorial control since one hits his weaknesses and the other his vanity.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I love his Superman, he became a bit lazy towards the end, same with INC, so I think he didn't like his work conditions (last minute editorial control etc etc) and he already expressed his displease in the new 52's changes in the Bat-family. The Flash is vastly different! One thing the Flash franchise was always about was legacy and that was thrown out of the window, if Morrison wanted to talk about Wally as Flash he can't do that, if he wants to tackle Jay he can't do that, if he wants to see Barry's sacrifice he can't do that. The nature of the speed force changed completely, since now it is like another dimension, full of portals and rocky floating islands rather than the lightning based corridor through time and space it seemed like pre-52, which only speedsters could enter.

And again, I think he is displeased about the New 52's strict policy when it comes on time schedule and editorial control since one hits his weaknesses and the other his vanity.

Well SF is generally very flexible and Morrison isn't afraid to make big changes to a character he writes, if the Editorial doesn't intervene then he can probably think of a way to bring back Wally and Jay and make them similar to their preN52 versions, there's nothing Morrison can't fix but yeah most likely it won't happen. Still I want to his take on Flash, I've read his and Miller's run, it was great but too short.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Yes that's what i thought too!! That would be genial!

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kilowog52

@dagmar_merrill: I can never understand how Johns gets hate like this. Remember, he created the entire emotional spectrum! Bad writer my foot!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@kilowog52: well let's face it, anyone could have come up with the idea to create multiple color corps. And most of Johns stuff was inspired from Alan Moore's run. johns has some good stuff but there a some writers who greatly outclass him.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they should give him the legion of superheroes to write it desperately needs a good relaunch.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kilowog52: You mean the emotional spectrum that put every humans emotions and dumbed it down to like 6 categories? Not seeing the big deal.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kilowog52: well let's face it, anyone could have come up with the idea to create multiple color corps. And most of Johns stuff was inspired from Alan Moore's run. johns has some good stuff but there a some writers who greatly outclass him.

Well, expanding on ideas is what a franchise writer should do, continuity itself is a result alone. You make it sound like Johns didn't imput anything...

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: that's not what I'm saying. Sorry if it sounds that way. I'm just saying he could have done better

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: that's not what I'm saying. Sorry if it sounds that way. I'm just saying he could have done better

He took two issues worth of ideas, good ideas, in this case the Blackest Night prophecy and "fear" being a true weakness(Sodam and Mogo, while good players, weren't prominetely featured by Johns, Tomasi usually dealed with them) and he expanded them in ten years worth of fulfilling stories, that went much deeper than even Johns imagined, if that isn't good, I don't know what it is.
    Blackest Night for example is more than a summer blockbuster, it is a story of overcoming death, accepting the part that ultimate opponent plays in existence and choose to live instead of fear of him. Well it could be done worse too, even by better writers.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kilowog52
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: ok, ok. Sorry for kicking your puppy. Jeez.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BUMP! As someone who has only read Morrison's Batman and Action Comics run... what cool things do you think he could do with the Green Lantern Universe?

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I want him to finish Dinosaurs vs Aliens first

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought they were gona make a movie out of that!

SimonSignIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mate, Grant Morrison should write everything

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@rustyroy: There was also a lecture he and Warren Ellis gave at a British library event recently where Morrison did mention that one of the reasons he got into writing comics was the history and legacy in comic books. And he did say the New 52 has taken that away so that's an implication he doesn't wholly approve of the New 52's clean slate policy. Plus his Action Comics combined every era of Superman's history into one story and Batman Inc read as if it was just carrying on from the Pre Flashpoint timeline. I think @squalleon might have a point when he says Morrison isn't best pleased with DC's current direction.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@thecheesestabber said:

They were supposed to but they only finished the first chapter!

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear said:

@thecheesestabber said:

They were supposed to but they only finished the first chapter!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Do you really not recognize all the creativity it took to create all those very entertaining stories which expanded Green Lantern lore to the point that if a fan who started reading after or toward the end of his run suddenly looked at some pre-Johns stories, they'd hardly recognize the property?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kilowog52: Yeah.. What I said was that Morrison is leagues above Johns and that the emotional spectrum of the lanterns was dumb.

Johns' did write some cool things though. I love Larfleeze and Atrocious.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: I myself prefer Johns, but I haven't read nearly as much Morrison. I thought his first JLA story arc was pretty weak, but apparently it gets better, and though i think I've read most of it, I'm not sure which issues are or are not by him. The only parts of his Batman run I read were RIP and Incorporated. Incorporated and his Action Comics run both had confusing choppy writing which I found too distracting. Oh yeah! And he wrote Final Crisis. Honestly I'm not too big a fan of any of the Crisis trilogy. Even Johns' Infinite Crisis. I love Blackest Night. And Forever Evil was a thoroughly good read too, even though most of what happened happened in the final issue. Speaking of events, I really want to read Legends, but the DC Comics website doesn't even acknowledge that there is a trade paperback collecting that.

Anyway, you know what I've been thinking for a while is that I really wouldn't mind if Jeff Lemire wrote Green Lantern. He's been doing wonders for Green Arrow after all. Or you know what I just thought? Maybe Red Lanterns. Atrocitus uses blood magic and Lemire has a lot of experience with magic stuff. I loved his JLD. Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of different writers who could do Green Lantern justice. I like what Venditti is doing for the most part, but just can't get behind the whole tenet of the emotional spectrum being a finite resource. I know Johns established that the power battery on Oa constantly collected willpower from across the universe and sent it to the various Green Lanterns' individual power batteries to fuel the rings.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I enjoyed how he wrote the corps in Final Crisis so I'd be down.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.