Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Gotham City Sirens

RizeOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RizeOracle

Hi. I love Birds of Prey and have been thinking about reading this other female centric team series for a while... but the back issues (considering it's finished now) are a bit pricey. Should I bother?

Are the team primarily good/bad? Also the covers are a bit questionable, so I'm wondering if there is an actual story or is it just an excuse for a lot of bloodshed and tight clothing?

Thank you.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@RizeOracle: I'd suggest getting the TPBs, as I know the single issues can be quite expensive.

The stories are good. Nice interactions between Harley, Ivy and Catwoman, with some appearances from The Riddler, Zatanna, Talia Al Ghul and The Joker. The artwork's good throughout, and whilst there was a change in artist, it's not so different that it causes a problem.

I don't know if it's anything like Birds Of Prey, but if you're a fan of the three main characters, I'd recommend giving it a go.

I kinda see what you mean about a couple of the covers, but most of them are pretty sensible. They were maybe drawn a bit sexual because Poison Ivy and Catwoman are considered to be sexualised characters, but there's not really any kind of sexual elements in the stories, as far as I remember.

If you need to know more, feel free to ask. :)

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Manbehindthewires

@RizeOracle: If you liked birds of prey you'll love sirens, as to whether they're good or bad....kinda both? Having Catwoman in the team means they take on villains from time to time, but still have Batman in their crosshairs. All in all a great read, not too serious, plenty of humour.

As far as getting over the price, just gotta dredge through Ebay and longbox stores I'm afraid! A lot of what I see on Ebay are variants, which can bump the price up too; I got my #1 for £1.75 after sitting around for a couple of weeks. I still have a couple of holes in my set.

Good luck! Lemme know what you think of it!

RizeOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RizeOracle

Thanks guys. My local store is pretty small, but next time I visit a larger Comic Book Store (which is fairly often) with more back issues, I shall see what I can find.

I read some Catwoman, so I'm kinda a fan of her. I don't know much about Harley... and really do not like Ivy, but I think a triple villainess gang might be a good storyline anyhow. Plus, I've run outta Birds!

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Manbehindthewires

@RizeOracle: will you be picking up Katana's New 52 title in Feb?

RizeOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RizeOracle

I will get the first one to see what's going on... but to be honest Katana isn't a personal favourite, so I might not add it to my regular pick up list. Yourself?

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
    The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@RizeOracle said:

Hi. I love Birds of Prey and have been thinking about reading this other female centric team series for a while... but the back issues (considering it's finished now) are a bit pricey. Should I bother?

Are the team primarily good/bad? Also the covers are a bit questionable, so I'm wondering if there is an actual story or is it just an excuse for a lot of bloodshed and tight clothing?

I was thinking the same thing 10 minutes ago...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.