Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Excuse me, DC also has relatable characters.

• 105 results
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By sethysquare

I've been hearing lotsa people say DC doesn't have relatable characters and all their characters are overpowered. But excuse me, DC also has relatable characters.

Batman - I feel like amongst all the character, Batman seems to be the least relatable character yet everyone loves him, let me explain why and I'll come back to batman.

Superman - Lost his parents at a young age. Grew up as a farm boy, always feeling like an outsider because he can't truly fit in.

Wonder Woman - Found out that her mother had lied to her about her birth father. Grew up in themyscira island and her first visit to america was nothing she have ever experienced. A small town girl in a big city.

Flash - residential geek in the justice league. Always felt like he has to slow down to fit in to the world.

Green Lantern - saw the death of his father at a young age. Always felt like it was his fault that his father died so he overcompensated and is constantly getting into trouble. Never listened to what his mother had to say and going against her wishes. Also had bad relationship with his siblings.

Aquaman - Also felt like he never could fit into the world, caught between both worlds, yet didn't fit into either. Atlanteans rejected him, surface dwellers couldn't understand him.

Cyborg - Father never cared about him as much as his work. He tried very hard at school and at work to please his father but it was always not enough.

Teen Titans - Uhm they're pretty much teens and have teen issues. They're the X-men in DC even before X-men was popular. Same goes to Doom Patrol.

Thus it seems DC's most prolific characters are all very relatable. Which brings me back to Batman in that he lost his parents and was motivated to bring justice to those corrupted. Yet being a philanthropist and billionaire playboy, I don't think Batman is as relatable to us other than the fact that he does not use his powers and is a real human. But in a way because Bruce felt that it was because he wanted to leave the play early and caused the death of his parents, that part would be where the relatable part comes in. Same thing goes to Green Arrow.

So I don't know why people keep saying DC don't have relatable characters.

I do know members of LGBT feel like they could relate to Xmen because the feel like the society rejects them and they're outsiders.

Fine, but I don't think there are lots of LGBT around, I mean they make the small proportion. Majority of us could relate more to those that I've stated above. So I don't see how Marvel's characters are more relatable.

Ironman - billionaire playboy.

Hulk - anger problems

Captain America - grew up in the world war II and got frozen in an iceberg and found himself in our world - I guess we can say he feels like an outsider as well.

Thor - uhm son of god? Is he alien? but yeah never saw thor as a relatable character.

Spiderman - okay fine I guess he is relatable.

But yeah, there are some characters in marvel that are more relatable than others, but DC has just as many. Infact DC's most prolific characters are all very relatable. Not to mention people somehow feel characters with a bat-emblem are more relatable than others and half of DC's line are bat characters.

So I'll like to know where is this misconception of DC's characters being not relatable.

Edit: This is not a DC vs Marvel contest. I showed both sides for comparison because I feel that both companies have relatable characters and how one company is more relatable than the other is a fallacy. As you can see from the title "DC also have relatable characters" key word: also.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sethysquare

I also searched this topic online and I'll like to quote someone on the internet on why he thinks Marvel heroes are relatable.

Well I can think of a few reasons

1) People get bitten by Spiders. (Spider-Man)
    2) People do trying to show-off by doing stupid things on bicycles, motorcycles then hit their heads. (Ghost Rider)
    3) People get involved with Gamma Radiation...(Hulk)
    4) Captain America was real he was just a character promoting men to join the army. (Captain America)
    5) Construction workers use their hammer at work. (Thor)

Hope this helped
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

They say that to annoy you, just as I say Marvel doesn't have any interesting heroes.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sethysquare

@sesquipedalophobe said:

They say that to annoy you, just as I say Marvel doesn't have any interesting heroes.

I don't think so. I think they really mean it when they say marvel have more relatable characters. I've seen non comic book readers with no biases say marvel heroes are more relatable than DC heroes. Perhaps its because they watch more marvel movies? But then again, despite all the "flaws" Smallville has (I love Smallville), it has been said that Smallville made Superman very relatable to the audience. So they do have exposure to DC heroes as well. Which is why I hope my blog post would be able to show everyone who keeps saying DC doesn't have relatable heroes to take a look at these characters again and give them a try.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KnightRise

I.find.DC.characters,.especially.Batman.and.Superman,.more.capable.of.being.analytical.than.allegorical.and."relatable".

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sethysquare

@KnightRise said:

I.find.DC.characters,.especially.Batman.and.Superman,.more.capable.of.being.analytical.than.allegorical.and."relatable".

Thanks. I too find especially Batman and Superman being more analytical and allegorical.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KnightRise

@sethysquare: If.I.had.a.working.space.button,.I'd.elaborate.more.and.use.my.thesis.on.Dick.Grayson's.character.evolution.

FYI:.the.X-men.were.the.ultimate.allegory.in.comicbooks,.what.they.represented.for.in.the.60's.is.deep,.and.way.ahead.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sesquipedalophobe
    @sethysquare: You don't think so because you're going by rote. Quit trying to convince others and enjoy the fictions all by yourself.
    Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#8  Edited By BlueLantern1995

DC has "elements" that you can relate to...but I can't say DC has those I can truly 100% relate to.

I cannot nor can most relate to Batman...we pity his origin about his parents being killed but most can't relate to that...neither being rich...it doesn't stop him from being cool however.

Superman's losing his parents is just like with Batman, something most people don't have the problem with at that age, plus who can relate 100% to a alien? I can't think of anyone.

Wonder Woman - People understand about not knowing about who your parent is and having there other parent lie about it. But who can relate to being a warrior raised on a island talking to greek gods and goddesses? I can't think of anyone...can you?

Flash - He is the most relatable but who do you know has nigh omnipotent power? I can't think of anyone...can you?

Green Lantern - He is the 2nd most relatable but who do you know patrols space and fight aliens everyday and sees more aliens than humans? I can't think of anyone... can you?

Aquaman - Who can relate to being a king? I can't think of anyone...can you?

Cyborg - Let's face it, people have father problems...we can relate to that but can you relate to being a cyborg and missing most of your humanity? I can't think of anyone...can you?

Teen Titans - I am a teen so I understand most of there issues, however the members are the place where things get a little unrelate-able.

Doom Patrol - Who can relate to being a freak? I can't think of anyone...can you?

As for Marvel I think that they have more relatable characters but yet, some aren't(such as Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor). They are cool but unrelate-able. They have elements just like DC... Captain America has enough things we can relate to that, the being frozen until present is nothing major. His origin is totally relate-able...a guy who is bullied. But I digress.

DC doesn't have as many relateable characters. Batman is compable to Iron Man, but being Billionare playboys but yet I can say I relate to Iron Man more than Batman...Batman is a A-Sexual...how many people are like that? Not many. Iron Man is a lady's man, most people can relate to that(if your female then you have probably met one like that). Overall Marvel has more relateable characters and that isn't a offense.

Relating to a character isn't as important as making them cool and/or likable. DC isn't about relateability and that's what I like about it. If I want to see a major brawl I go to DC, if I want someone to relate to I go to Marvel. Each has its place.

desmond006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By desmond006

I personally find it hard to relate to most dc characters. Your post seems pretty biased in you descriptions of the characters. I do find flash to be the easiest to connect to.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SandMan_

To be honest, I don't read comics to read about people I can relate to. All I want is to enjoy these stories about these character with amazing powers.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I don't think Spider-Man is relateable  at all, maybe he used to be but how can a mega-super genius that can build time travel devices and works for a multinatinal think tank of geniuses relate to the regular Jo?

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sethysquare

@BlueLantern1995 said:

DC has "elements" that you can relate to...but I can't say DC has those I can truly 100% relate to.

I cannot nor can most relate to Batman...we pity his origin about his parents being killed but most can't relate to that...neither being rich...it doesn't stop him from being cool however.

Superman's losing his parents is just like with Batman, something most people don't have the problem with at that age, plus who can relate 100% to a alien? I can't think of anyone.

Wonder Woman - People understand about not knowing about who your parent is and having there other parent lie about it. But who can relate to being a warrior raised on a island talking to greek gods and goddesses? I can't think of anyone...can you?

Flash - He is the most relatable but who do you know has nigh omnipotent power? I can't think of anyone...can you?

Green Lantern - He is the 2nd most relatable but who do you know patrols space and fight aliens everyday and sees more aliens than humans? I can't think of anyone... can you?

Aquaman - Who can relate to being a king? I can't think of anyone...can you?

Cyborg - Let's face it, people have father problems...we can relate to that but can you relate to being a cyborg and missing most of your humanity? I can't think of anyone...can you?

Teen Titans - I am a teen so I understand most of there issues, however the members are the place where things get a little unrelate-able.

Doom Patrol - Who can relate to being a freak? I can't think of anyone...can you?

As for Marvel I think that they have more relatable characters but yet, some aren't(such as Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor). They are cool but unrelate-able. They have elements just like DC... Captain America has enough things we can relate to that, the being frozen until present is nothing major. His origin is totally relate-able...a guy who is bullied. But I digress.

DC doesn't have as many relateable characters. Batman is compable to Iron Man, but being Billionare playboys but yet I can say I relate to Iron Man more than Batman...Batman is a A-Sexual...how many people are like that? Not many. Iron Man is a lady's man, most people can relate to that(if your female then you have probably met one like that). Overall Marvel has more relateable characters and that isn't a offense.

Relating to a character isn't as important as making them cool and/or likable. DC isn't about relateability and that's what I like about it. If I want to see a major brawl I go to DC, if I want someone to relate to I go to Marvel. Each has its place.

Uhm what? So you can relate to Captain America being bullied, but you cant relate to Superman being an outsider. He never considered he is an alien. He grew up as a human, but he is distinctly different from everyone. He can easily beat people up, but he needs to constantly remind himself that he is different from others and he needs to act differently. How is that not relatable? Its as relatable as Captain America. Him being an alien and not fitting in is just a symbol of him being an outsider.

Complaining that Flash has nigh omnipotent powers and wonder woman talking to greek gods is ridiculous. So you can relate to wolverine who has adamantium claws sticking out of his hands and regenerative powers? You can relate to talking to a being who can fly and controls metal?

Same thing goes to Green Lantern. Who do you know got hit by cosmic rays and battle an alien with a silver surfboard. I can't think of anyone. Can you?

Aquaman - uhm, sure he is a king rightfully, but his struggles are not. He was never accept by his people. Cant people relate to that? Plus being lost in the society without anyone's guidance? You mean people can relate a borderline lunatic and uses guns and swords to cause mayhem? (deadpool)

Cyborg - When you loses a part of yourself and do something you usually would not do, you feel like you are not in touch with your own humanity. Its because he has serious flaws that makes him relatable because everyone is flawed.

Teen Titans - U mean like storm, rogue, cyclops, beast and emma frost? They have teen/adult issues. But they have insanely strong powers, so people cant relate to them. Is that what you're saying? Because you seem to complain that members like Superboy and Wondergirl are "overpowered" and thus you cant relate to them.

Doom Patrol - Uhm X-men is based off doom patrol. Don't you know? Xmen are regarded as freaks to the world. The society.

Batman is asexual? Yet he had sexual relations with catwoman, talia and tons of other girls.

Most people can relate to being a ladies man? How many of your friends are ladies man. I do have some of my friends like that. Majority of us are meet a few girls then find out soulmate. I don't relate to being a ladies man.

Also, we're not discussing which is more important. Making them cool/likeable or relatable. I'm discussing that DC do have relatable characters. Also which part of the blog did I talk about a major brawl? So relatable = they must fight with each other?

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sethysquare

@SandMan_: Fair enough. But this is in regards to characters being relatable. I read deathstroke because I think he is cool, not because he is relatable. But in a way he could be.

@KnightRise: Do elaborate more when you get that space button. LOL

@sesquipedalophobe: Touche.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SandMan_
    @sethysquare: The thing is..that none of them are relatable....at least they're Superhero side. I can find Clark Kent, Peter Parker relatable. But I can't relate to Superman or Spider-man.

Batman is probably one of the least relatable character in comics.
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sethysquare

@SandMan_: Well yeah, I'm talking about their human side. Which is why I find Clark Kent to be equally as relatable as Peter Parker. And Clark Kent is a major part of the comics. They don't only show their superhero side. Superman comics especially always talks about the regular life of Clark Kent.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Kallarkz

Flash has nigh omnipotent power??? O.O I'll never understand the obsession with trying to prove some characters are more relatable than others

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JohnnyGat

I think it's more of a set mentality for some people. To be honest as long as a character is actually given enough history even an emotionless lifeless android can be relatable to if comparing said emotionless being with the idea of being just a corporate drone among society. Even cosmic beings can be relatable even if what they face is much bigger in scope it doesn't take that far to shrink the situation to one that fits your life if one thinks enough.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheThe

DC characters are relatable, but more in a symbolic way.

Catman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Catman9

@sesquipedalophobe said:

I have tried getting into Marvel heroes, but I honestly just don't care about any of them. For some reason they just can't interest me. And I'm not saying that to annoy Marvel fans either.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sethysquare

@JohnnyGat said:

I think it's more of a set mentality for some people. To be honest as long as a character is actually given enough history even an emotionless lifeless android can be relatable to if comparing said emotionless being with the idea of being just a corporate drone among society. Even cosmic beings can be relatable even if what they face is much bigger in scope it doesn't take that far to shrink the situation to one that fits your life if one thinks enough.

I would say its how the stories are written. Some characters are more relatable than others. Some characters showed serious flaws and that adds to them being viewed as just only human. Geoff Johns for instance is really good at making villains sympathetic and relatable. Like Sinestro, Toyman and etc. Red Tornado was shown to be a very sympathetic android being in batman the brave and the bold. Constantly trying to understand humanity and find them. Same goes to the metal men. They're kinda like pinocchio. Which is why I mentioned that DC characters are also relatable and sympathetic. This isn't really a comparison of DC vs Marvel.

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always found Marvel characters to be more on the relatable side, best example being Parker, whereas DC gives us characters to look up to like Bruce and Clark. Nothing wrong with either approach. You like what you like.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sethysquare

@JonSmith said:

@sethysquare: Mainly because of their abilities. Regardless of background, if you don't have issues BECAUSE of those abilities, if they're almost entirely divorced from the hero or heroines actual life, then that drastically cuts down on their relatability. For example, if you, yes you, could shatter a planet in a few punches, or fly, or nothing on Earth could hurt you, I'd imagine you'd constantly be flying around, or breaking things by accident. Returning to regular life would seem pretty dull when you could be flying all over the world, seeing the sights. Superman, on the other hand, is perfectly happy doing EXACTLY the right thing, all the time. He never considers doing anything bad, because nothing is a challenge for him. Lois gets kidnapped? He's fast and strong enough to free her. Because there's no real challenge, there's no dilemma. For example, if a person puts a gun to your best friends head, and says that if you kill yourself, he'll let your friend go, THAT'S a moral dilemma. You'd be torn over it, you wouldn't know what to do. But if you're Superman, bang. Superspeed over to the bad guy, grab the gun out of his hand, push your friend aside, drop off bad guy at the jail on your way to get some burritos. No dilemma, no relatability.

You're basically talking almost half of the x-men. Tons of the popular x-men are alpha mutants with powers rivalling superman.

Well, you must not have read much DC comics. Superman have made mistakes, he has constant struggles with evil, he has been almost beaten and completely beaten tons of time. There are always challenges and there are always dilemma for him. Are the values taught to him by ma and pa kent right or are they outdated? Should he kill villains like what the elite is doing or should he not? What is his father's true purpose for him? To be their savior, one by one or lead them to build a better nation? All those were in the old universe, in the new 52 he is significantly depowered and more brash than before, even more distraught than before.

With regards to your problem, any writer can make that scenario of your friends life or your own work. Any hero can distract that person and save both the lives of his best friend and himself. Batman does that tons of times without killing either his friend or himself. Same goes to all the other superheroes. So that makes all the other heroes all without dilemma ergo not relatable.

@JonSmith said:

As for the others. Yeah, Wonder Woman is effectively a small town girl in a big city, except that small town girl is an Amazonian Princess who can knock bullets out of the air with her wrists. Not to mention she's an ambassador for her people. So she shows up and immediately starts living the good life. And she doesn't really have anyone she cares about, meaning that there's no one to use against her. And since she has a lot of similar, though weaker, powers to Superman, same issue as above.

Uhm...... again, you must not have read much ww comics. So I'm not even gonna bother replying that.

@JonSmith said:

Flash, from what I've read, I like him. He's a pretty cool dude. But even if the world is too slow for him, I don't think comics would be interesting if you were seeing all the comics from Flash's perspective of everyone almost standing still, each sentence taking an entire comic book to listen to. Thus his problem isn't really played into. And since it doesn't seem to bother him, it's not really displayed as well as it could be.

Aquaman is a King. Outsider my rear end, he is a dam KING of a COUNTRY. UNDERWATER. He controls the dam ocean. If his name wasn't Aquaman, it'd be POSEIDON. He rarely displays any problems we CAN relate to, because his life is so divorced from our own. Because he lives underwater in a society that isn't highly influenced by our own, he can't really relate to his problems in the most necessary sense.

Yups, you don't read DC comics. Nothing to be ashamed of, but that makes your points moot and I really am not going to even answer them with that.

@JonSmith said:

As for how Marvel characters are different?

All of them have more... realistic issues. As far as superheroes go.

Iron Man: He's an alcoholic. Recovering, whatever. He's an alcoholic who has way too much money. Outside of his suit, he's irresponsible, and does what pretty much any of us would do if we were him. We can relate to Tony Stark. So when he IS Iron Man, and he IS being responsible, we know that inside of that suit is a man with issues just trying to do what he can to make up for those issues.

Hulk: Anger problems. You REALLY want to go with just anger problems? Anger problems are when you have a bad day at work and start screaming at your family. Hulk has a bad day and he WRECKS CITIES. But beneath the Hulk, there's a haunted and hounded scared little man called Bruce Banner. Banner's been chased by the military since he became the Hulk. No matter how far he runs, no matter how hard he tries to hide, he can't escape the hunt for him. You want to talk about how all the DC characters are outsiders? If Banner were to walk up to pretty much ANYONE in the world, and say his name, every superhero in a thousand miles would come running, every super VILLAIN would START running, and every military official would wet their pants and start up their doomsday plans. And when Banner finally loses it, when he transforms, there aren't many, if any, who regret it more than him. People can relate to being scared and alone. They can relate to having an ugly side you don't want the world to see. The Banner/Hulk dynamic is essentially an avatar of all that anger people have that the world doesn't let them release, because it's illegal, because they'll go to jail for what they'd do. That's fine, that's great, but Hulk provides a superheroic avatar for exactly that.

Captain America - yeah, outsider.

Thor- eh, I was always more fond of the classic Norse Mythology.

Spider-Man: You're dam right he's relatable.

Need further explanation?

This isn't a who is more relatable contest, but I'm just putting across that DC heroes also are relatable, but your knowledge on DC heroes are farily limited and thus you come up with very weird conclusions regarding them. I'm not saying Marvel does not have relatable characters, but whatever you are applying I can say the same for a whole bunch of DC heroes as well. So yeah, don't need further explanation. Besides most of the stuff you said is extremely contradicting to your own statements. One minute you go

Regardless of background, if you don't have issues BECAUSE of those abilities, if they're almost entirely divorced from the hero or heroines actual life, then that drastically cuts down on their relatability.

Next minute you are saying

Outside of his suit, he's irresponsible, and does what pretty much any of us would do if we were him. We can relate to Tony Stark. So when he IS Iron Man, and he IS being responsible, we know that inside of that suit is a man with issues just trying to do what he can to make up for those issues.

Like uhm okay.

Hulk: Anger problems. You REALLY want to go with just anger problems? Anger problems are when you have a bad day at work and start screaming at your family. Hulk has a bad day and he WRECKS CITIES. But beneath the Hulk, there's a haunted and hounded scared little man called Bruce Banner. Banner's been chased by the military since he became the Hulk. No matter how far he runs, no matter how hard he tries to hide, he can't escape the hunt for him. You want to talk about how all the DC characters are outsiders? If Banner were to walk up to pretty much ANYONE in the world, and say his name, every superhero in a thousand miles would come running, every super VILLAIN would START running, and every military official would wet their pants and start up their doomsday plans. And when Banner finally loses it, when he transforms, there aren't many, if any, who regret it more than him. People can relate to being scared and alone. They can relate to having an ugly side you don't want the world to see. The Banner/Hulk dynamic is essentially an avatar of all that anger people have that the world doesn't let them release, because it's illegal, because they'll go to jail for what they'd do. That's fine, that's great, but Hulk provides a superheroic avatar for exactly that.

Oh sure. for hulk its an analogy, an analog. For Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman its oh nobody can relate to that.

Thor- eh, I was always more fond of the classic Norse Mythology.

So? What has this got to do with what we're talking about. I'm not asking you why you love your marvel heroes.

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tim2081

@sethysquare said:

I don't think so. I think they really mean it when they say marvel have more relatable characters. I've seen non comic book readers with no biases say marvel heroes are more relatable than DC heroes. Perhaps its because they watch more marvel movies? But then again, despite all the "flaws" Smallville has (I love Smallville), it has been said that Smallville made Superman very relatable to the audience. So they do have exposure to DC heroes as well. Which is why I hope my blog post would be able to show everyone who keeps saying DC doesn't have relatable heroes to take a look at these characters again and give them a try.

Try matching the characters to real-life counterparts, and see whether Marvel or DC has better matches. I think you'll find more of Marvel's characters tend to be based on real people. Obviously this isn't the case for every character, but enough of the popular ones.

Iron Man - Howard Hughes, Elon Musk

Black Widow - Anna Chapman

Nick Fury - J. Edgar Hoover, Colin Powell, David Petraeus

Punisher - Seal Team members

Batman - ???

And then there's stuff like this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57441370-71/marvel-creates-superhero-for-boy-with-hearing-aid/

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is getting ridiculous, enough with the fanboyish bs, you like what you like, you're not going to convince anyone to change their mind and their enjoyment of something shouldn't effect your enjoyment of something else. Why does it matter to you that other people find Marvel to create more relatable characters? Does that ruin your enjoyment of the DC characters? Ugh, the entire concept of this thread is ridiculous, you can't tell people who or what to relate to, they just do.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JohnnyGat

@sethysquare said:

@JohnnyGat said:

I would say its how the stories are written. Some characters are more relatable than others. Some characters showed serious flaws and that adds to them being viewed as just only human. Geoff Johns for instance is really good at making villains sympathetic and relatable. Like Sinestro, Toyman and etc. Red Tornado was shown to be a very sympathetic android being in batman the brave and the bold. Constantly trying to understand humanity and find them. Same goes to the metal men. They're kinda like pinocchio. Which is why I mentioned that DC characters are also relatable and sympathetic. This isn't really a comparison of DC vs Marvel.

I agree. As I said it really is more of a set mentality by people, will it be a mentality set in stone hopefully not.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sethysquare

@tim2081 said:

@sethysquare said:

Try matching the characters to real-life counterparts, and see whether Marvel or DC has better matches. I think you'll find more of Marvel's characters tend to be based on real people. Obviously this isn't the case for every character, but enough of the popular ones.

Iron Man - Howard Hughes, Elon Musk

Black Widow - Anna Chapman

Nick Fury - J. Edgar Hoover, Colin Powell, David Petraeus

Punisher - Seal Team members

Batman - ???

And then there's stuff like this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57441370-71/marvel-creates-superhero-for-boy-with-hearing-aid/

What are the similarities between them and their real life counterparts? Did Howard Hughes or Elon Musk create a suit that blast missiles and have nanotech abilities that absorbs into their skin? And wear it themselves?

If its just occupation and some similarities in their background then you can pretty much insert a random social conscious philantropist for Batman and Green Arrow.

And ofcourse there are articles like this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2165269/Real-life-superman-leaps-train-save-year-old-blown-tracks-wind--mom-freezes-terror.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Funny they don't call it real life Ironman.

Superman was written by the writers and based off someone that was not from America and their struggles for the "alien" to adapt to the society in america.

I don't see much of a resemblence for Nick Fury and J Edgar Hoover other than their occupation. If so insert Steve Trevor, Amanda Waller and other similar characters then search google for someone with a similar occupation.

Black Widow - okay russian spy. ----> Deathstroke - assassin.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sethysquare

@HotSauceCommittee said:

This is getting ridiculous, enough with the fanboyish bs, you like what you like, you're not going to convince anyone to change their mind and their enjoyment of something shouldn't effect your enjoyment of something else. Why does it matter to you that other people find Marvel to create more relatable characters? Does that ruin your enjoyment of the DC characters? Ugh, the entire concept of this thread is ridiculous, you can't tell people who or what to relate to, they just do.

It kinda goes both ways. This is my blog post on why I think DC characters are relatable. If other people find marvel to be more relatable, they can feel that way. If they want to argue why they think marvel is more relatable than DC and posting it in my blog post, they're obviously looking for a response. What has what I think about marvel characters ruin your enjoyment of marvel characters. Besides Ive made it clear that this isn't about marvel vs dc, yet many posters derail and talk about that in my blog post, so I respond. Whats wrong with that? You can feel free not to post in here if you find the discussion ridiculous.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AtPhantom

@sethysquare said:

Responsibility. Owning up to your mistakes.

@sethysquare said:

Hulk - anger problems

Battling with inner demons. An outcast trying to do the right thing despite the fear and hate he provokes

@sethysquare said:

Captain America - grew up in the world war II and got frozen in an iceberg and found himself in our world - I guess we can say he feels like an outsider as well.

Trying to uphold values in a world which doesn't necessarily appreciate them.

@sethysquare said:

Thor - uhm son of god? Is he alien? but yeah never saw thor as a relatable character.

A son trying to please an unpleasable father and a jealous brother.

Your grasp of DC heroes isn't that good either. You're cherry picking both sides to fit your point. And just to be clear, I agree with your point. The idea that Marvel is more relatable with DC is tired, worn out, and was never really true. But that doesn't mean you can just disregard Marvel heroes as completely pointless and thematically bankrupt.

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tim2081

@sethysquare said:

What are the similarities between them and their real life counterparts? Did Howard Hughes or Elon Musk create a suit that blast missiles and have nanotech abilities that absorbs into their skin? And wear it themselves?

If its just occupation and some similarities in their background then you can pretty much insert a random social conscious philantropist for Batman and Green Arrow.

The primary similarities are attitude, social standing, and relative accomplishments. If Hughes and Musk were smarter, they might have been able to create the Iron Man armor, instead of just designing airplanes and space shuttles. But I can say for sure that neither one is a psycho, trained ninja, or master marksman. By the way, Hughes was Stan Lee's inspiration for creating Stark, and Musk was the inspiration for the movie version.

@sethysquare said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2165269/Real-life-superman-leaps-train-save-year-old-blown-tracks-wind--mom-freezes-terror.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I don't see how that's relevant. Was there any super powers involved with that story, or just a good samaritan? In the story I posted, it was about Marvel specifically creating a character to relate to a real kid.

@sethysquare said:

Because he wasn't wearing armor, and that's not generally what Iron Man does. Google the phrase "real-life Iron Man" and you'll get pictures of engineers.

@sethysquare said:

Superman was written by the writers and based off someone that was not from America and their struggles for the "alien" to adapt to the society in america.

Yes, an alien that is indistinguishable from regular white guys (clearly the most discriminated group in America), has been there since infancy, and could crush anyone. I'm not seeing any struggle that he didn't create for himself.

@sethysquare said:

I don't see much of a resemblence for Nick Fury and J Edgar Hoover other than their occupation. If so insert Steve Trevor, Amanda Waller and other similar characters then search google for someone with a similar occupation.

Are we calling Steve Trevor and Amanda Waller popular now? Maybe Trevor will get his own book or star in a movie, and Wonder Woman can be a supporting character, then people can say how relatable he is.

@sethysquare said:

Fair enough. Now count up all the examples like this, and see who has more, Marvel or DC.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sethysquare

@AtPhantom said:

@sethysquare said:

Responsibility. Owning up to your mistakes.

@sethysquare said:

Hulk - anger problems

Battling with inner demons. An outcast trying to do the right thing despite the fear and hate he provokes

@sethysquare said:

Trying to uphold values in a world which doesn't necessarily appreciate them.

@sethysquare said:

A son trying to please an unpleasable father and a jealous brother.

Your grasp of DC heroes isn't that good either. You're cherry picking both sides to fit your point. And just to be clear, I agree with your point. The idea that Marvel is more relatable with DC is tired, worn out, and was never really true. But that doesn't mean you can just disregard Marvel heroes as completely pointless and thematically bankrupt.

I didnt disregard marvel. I said marvel have relatable heroes like xmen, spiderman, captain america. some more relatable than others. I believe you meant to say my grasp of marvel heroes isn't very good. Which you can tell by my brief description, but I never did disregard that they're not relatable anywhere in my posts have I?

@tim2081 said:

@sethysquare said:

The primary similarities are attitude, social standing, and relative accomplishments. If Hughes and Musk were smarter, they might have been able to create the Iron Man armor, instead of just designing airplanes and space shuttles. But I can say for sure that neither one is a psycho, trained ninja, or master marksman. By the way, Hughes was Stan Lee's inspiration for creating Stark, and Musk was the inspiration for the movie version.

@sethysquare said:

I don't see how that's relevant. Was there any super powers involved with that story, or just a good samaritan? In the story I posted, it was about Marvel specifically creating a character to relate to a real kid.

@sethysquare said:

Because he wasn't wearing armor, and that's not generally what Iron Man does. Google the phrase "real-life Iron Man" and you'll get pictures of engineers.

@sethysquare said:

Yes, an alien that is indistinguishable from regular white guys (clearly the most discriminated group in America), has been there since infancy, and could crush anyone. I'm not seeing any struggle that he didn't create for himself.

@sethysquare said:

Are we calling Steve Trevor and Amanda Waller popular now? Maybe Trevor will get his own book or star in a movie, and Wonder Woman can be a supporting character, then people can say how relatable he is.

@sethysquare said:

Fair enough. Now count up all the examples like this, and see who has more, Marvel or DC.

Anyways this is derailed from what I my post is about. Real life examples = relatable? How many russian spies or "iron mans" do you know. How many swat team members do you know?

Also, Steve Trevor appeared on animated movies, series and TV shows.

Amanda Waller appeared on animated movies, series, TV shows and movies.

You're saying as if Nick Fury has his own book which he don't.

Additionally both of them are lead characters in Team 7 and Steve Trevor is a main stay in Justice League and traditionally WW comics. Also Amanda Waller is leading a team in Suicide Squad.

Does Nick Fury has his own book where he is a lead character like a "Team 7" and not a back up in Avengers? I dont recall unless you have an example. He did appear on big screen, so did amanda waller. If your argument is that lets only name popular characters we can go on all day discussing who is more popular. Yet you're asking me to count up all the examples like this in DC or Marvel, as if any character should be counted.

Point is, its derailed and I'm not interested to compare marvel vs dc.

I'm putting up a point that DC also have relatable heroes. Not DC has MORE relatable heroes than marvel.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By dernman

wow people getting upset just for saying DC can  be relatable also.

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tim2081

@sethysquare said:

Does Nick Fury has his own book where he is a lead character like a "Team 7" and not a back up in Avengers? I dont recall unless you have an example. He did appear on big screen, so did amanda waller. If your argument is that lets only name popular characters we can go on all day discussing who is more popular. Yet you're asking me to count up all the examples like this in DC or Marvel, as if any character should be counted.

I'm putting up a point that DC also have relatable heroes. Not DC has MORE relatable heroes than marvel.

Yeah, this has derailed, but you did use Marvel characters as a comparison in your original post:

"Majority of us could relate more to those that I've stated above. So I don't see how Marvel's characters are more relatable."

Anyways, if you look at the face of the franchise, that is how they will be defined. DC's franchise is Superman, Batman, and anyone who happens to be widely popular at the time. People will primarily look at their abilities, behavior, and lifestyle when judging relatability.

@sethysquare said:

Anyways this is derailed from what I my post is about. Real life examples = relatable? How many russian spies or "iron mans" do you know. How many swat team members do you know?

I do know a couple swat team members, but more importantly I know people who are trying to be rich, or join the military, or work for the CIA, but I still don't know anyone who is legitimately trying to be a ninja.

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WildStyle

This is nothing but a fanboy war thread. People are going like what they like period. I don't even know why this thread was made in the first place.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sethysquare

@tim2081 said:

@sethysquare said:

Yeah, this has derailed, but you did use Marvel characters as a comparison in your original post:

"Majority of us could relate more to those that I've stated above. So I don't see how Marvel's characters are more relatable."

Anyways, if you look at the face of the franchise, that is how they will be defined. DC's franchise is Superman, Batman, and anyone who happens to be widely popular at the time. People will primarily look at their abilities, behavior, and lifestyle when judging relatability.

@sethysquare said:

I do know a couple swat team members, but more importantly I know people who are trying to be rich, or join the military, or work for the CIA, but I still don't know anyone who is legitimately trying to be a ninja.

I said I don't see how marvel's characters are more relatable, and I said DC's characters are just as relatable. I never said said DC's characters are more relatable than marvel's characters.

Right I'm sure you know a couple of swat team members. And yes, Batman's sole purpose is legitimately trying to be a ninja. Yes I'm sure you are so not very biased.

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tim2081

@sethysquare said:

Right I'm sure you know a couple of swat team members.

Yep, I used to work at a bar, and one of the female bartenders was dating a swat team member. He came by every once in a while with one his friends. Surprisingly enough, swat team members aren't mythical beings.

@sethysquare said:

And yes, Batman's sole purpose is legitimately trying to be a ninja. Yes I'm sure you are so not very biased.

Right, I forgot he is also trying to rid an entire city of crime, by scaring people and beating them up, which is obviously a normal thing to do.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AtPhantom

@sethysquare said:

I didnt disregard marvel. I said marvel have relatable heroes like xmen, spiderman, captain america. some more relatable than others. I believe you meant to say my grasp of marvel heroes isn't very good. Which you can tell by my brief description, but I never did disregard that they're not relatable anywhere in my posts have I?

Yet you completely missed the point of Iron Man, Thor, Cap and Hulk. And I meant what I said. You don't have a grasp of DC. Superman never had any anxiety over losing his parents. For all he cares he already has his parents. Wonder woman also never made the point of feeling like a small town girl in a big world. Wonder woman's point is and always has been a woman in a man's world. Something completely different.

More to the point, you are not listing lines of relatability, you're just listing character traits and plot points. People relate to characters by seeing them go through the same troubles we go through every day, just on a larger scale. Seeing your father die at a young age isn't something most people experience. Neither is having your mother lie to you about your father. Or having the need to slow down to fit in. Most people have the exact opposite feeling. This is, again, not me saying DC heroes aren't relatable.Just that you're going about it all wrong.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Both companies have characters readers can relate to. Argument solved!

I did it!

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KnightRise

@TheThesaid:

DC characters are relatable, but more in a symbolic way.

This

@HotSauceCommitteesaid:

I've always found Marvel characters to be more on the relatable side, best example being Parker, whereas DC gives us characters to look up to like Bruce and Clark. Nothing wrong with either approach. You like what you like.

DoubleThis

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By _Zombie_

For the love of.. can we just put this damn argument to rest?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @sethysquare: Of course DC has relatable characters, the whole "DC characters are unrelatable" thing is utter nonsense spouted by those who most likely don't even read DC.
    jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By jsphsmth

@inferiorego said:

I did it!

This

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KnightRise

Your.threads.seem.to.attract.massive.inflammatio;..next.time.put.a.notice.to.bring.Prepperation.H!.lol

@inferiorego said:

I did it!

Matt.puttin'.in.work.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sethysquare

@AtPhantom said:

@sethysquare said:

Yet you completely missed the point of Iron Man, Thor, Cap and Hulk. And I meant what I said. You don't have a grasp of DC. Superman never had any anxiety over losing his parents. For all he cares he already has his parents. Wonder woman also never made the point of feeling like a small town girl in a big world. Wonder woman's point is and always has been a woman in a man's world. Something completely different.

More to the point, you are not listing lines of relatability, you're just listing character traits and plot points. People relate to characters by seeing them go through the same troubles we go through every day, just on a larger scale. Seeing your father die at a young age isn't something most people experience. Neither is having your mother lie to you about your father. Or having the need to slow down to fit in. Most people have the exact opposite feeling. This is, again, not me saying DC heroes aren't relatable.Just that you're going about it all wrong.

I did not completely missed the point of Iron Man, Thor, Cap and Hulk, I did not specify much about them. People can relate to them in a certain way. Some in more ways than others. But there are other characters like Spiderman and xmen whom people relate to more to (generally).

You also have no freaking idea what you're talking about. When have I said Superman have anxiety over losing his parents, show me where have I said that? I said Superman lost his parents at a young age. He was raised up by his pa and ma kent and was constantly told that he is different, that he cant act like everyone else. Its like he feels lost in a world with no others. Which is why he was portrayed in several incarnation as being a geek/nerd in his adolescences with not much close friends other than Lana and Pete.

Also Wonder Woman have been portrayed in several medias and in the comic books before that she doesn't understand why the people in america do what they do and act how they act. Check Justice League the animated series and the current Justice League comics. Additionally go check back on some of the older trades. Yes she is a women in a man's world but if you think that these characters only have one point, its completely ridiculous and naive.

So whats the point of Superman? The truth, justice and the american way? Is that the only point?

Yes I listed their character traits and plot points because I'm showing that at the end of the day they're only human. They face regular struggles people go through. They have circumstances that regular people face. What? People can relate to being an outsider and how others don't understand them? Wonder Woman's mother lied to her about her birth parents including herself. Her reaction afterwards was written by Azzarello and based on a real reaction to one of his friend when his parents lied to him about something similar. Also, due to the technological advances of internet and media, it developed many sub cultures within each societies. Tons and tons of subculture where it is distinctly different from each other. Everyone being engaged in a certain subculture feels like sometimes they're outta this world, that they have to "slow down" to the friends around them. I'm sure comic book readers especially can relate to that, be it a fuming rage regarding CG cartoons or the fact that Superman now has no underwear. Unless all your friends are comic book nerds, its likely that you feel like what flash do sometimes. Yes sure, sometimes we also might feel the exact opposite, but it goes both ways.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AtPhantom

@sethysquare said:

I did not completely missed the point of Iron Man, Thor, Cap and Hulk, I did not specify much

You're backpedaling. You clearly said you see anything relatable about them.

@sethysquare said:

You also have no freaking idea what you're talking about. When have I said Superman have anxiety over losing his parents, show me where have I said that? I said Superman lost his parents at a young age. He was raised up by his pa and ma kent and was constantly told that he is different, that he cant act like everyone else. Its like he feels lost in a world with no others. Which is why he was portrayed in several incarnation as being a geek/nerd in his adolescences with not much close friends other than Lana and Pete.

If not for anxiety, why did you even mention him loosing his parents? Plot points like that are important for the issues they create. Superman has no issues with it.

@sethysquare said:

Also Wonder Woman have been portrayed in several medias and in the comic books before that she doesn't understand why the people in america do what they do and act how they act. Check Justice League the animated series and the current Justice League comics. Additionally go check back on some of the older trades. Yes she is a women in a man's world but if you think that these characters only have one point, its completely ridiculous and naive.

Yes, and that's completely different from a country girl in a big town. Yes, she frequently doesn't understand western culture. That doesn't mean she's overwhelmed by it. There was never a point on how she feels as an outsider and not fitting in. Superman has such problems because Superman wants to fit in. Wonder Woman is an ambassador in the world. She doesn't want to fit in it. She wants to change it. And yes, there are plenty of points in these characters. You're missing all of them.

@sethysquare said:

So whats the point of Superman? The truth, justice and the american way? Is that the only point?

Superman has plenty of themes. That's not the point here.

@sethysquare said:

Yes I listed their character traits and plot points because I'm showing that at the end of the day they're only human. They face regular struggles people go through. They have circumstances that regular people face. What? People can relate to being an outsider and how others don't understand them? Wonder Woman's mother lied to her about her birth parents including herself. Her reaction afterwards was written by Azzarello and based on a real reaction to one of his friend when his parents lied to him about something similar. Also, due to the technological advances of internet and media, it developed many sub cultures within each societies. Tons and tons of subculture where it is distinctly different from each other. Everyone being engaged in a certain subculture feels like sometimes they're outta this world, that they have to "slow down" to the friends around them. I'm sure comic book readers especially can relate to that, be it a fuming rage regarding CG cartoons or the fact that Superman now has no underwear. Unless all your friends are comic book nerds, its likely that you feel like what flash do sometimes. Yes sure, sometimes we also might feel the exact opposite, but it goes both ways.

Those are not regular struggles. Sure, if you dig down and scrape the bottom of the barrel you'll find that every character has someone who relates to him. Even Superboy Prime. Even Sentry. But we're talking about regular people here. How many people do you know who can look at Wonder Woman's lie plot point and go "Yeah, that totally happened to me too."? Moreover, the fact that her mother lied to her has no meaning to Wonder Woman's relatability because that was a one time event with no thematic background. Nobody reads Wonder Woman to see how she's been lied to. Nobody writes stories about her being lied to. Sure occasionally such a story may pop up, but it's not a major theme of Wonder Woman, and it's not why people keep coming back to her.

And your subculture thesis is reaching. Sorry.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sethysquare

@AtPhantom: you are taking my words and creating a whole story of your own imagination trying to start a flame war which I clearly am not interested to participate.

Also my thesis on subculture/multiculture or whatever isnt mine but what was written in sociology textbooks. Get a few years of education then come back.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AtPhantom

Sigh. I hate it when people write off criticism as flaming. But sure, whatever.

And I'm pretty sure no sociology textbook ever discussed the role of Flash in our daily lives.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By moywar700

OP was at comic book resource weren't u?

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sethysquare

@moywar700 said:

OP was at comic book resource weren't u?

yups. i quit cbr, lol. you are?

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By moywar700
    KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By KainScion

@sethysquare said:

@SandMan_: Well yeah, I'm talking about their human side. Which is why I find Clark Kent to be equally as relatable as Peter Parker. And Clark Kent is a major part of the comics. They don't only show their superhero side. Superman comics especially always talks about the regular life of Clark Kent.

how do you relate to an alien that can bench press the planet? seriously. clark kent is superman playing dress-up. he can live very well without having a job or anything else. he chooses to have these everyday problems. he can just sit around in the sun all day and he would be fine. plus his place in the artic is not earth tech, so he even has a house from his planet here. he does not need an earth life.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.