Do you think batman's intelect is a bit overated?

• 68 results
#1 Posted by 2cool4fun (1630 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think people compliment batman's mind a bit too much when they speak of how smart he is, since every one see's batman as one of DC's smartest minds, and his not really that big of a genius, he is one of the worlds greatest detectives ( competing with Red Robin & The Question ), but compared with people like: Lex Luthor, Mr. Terrific & even Lucius Fox ( who made all of batman's gadgets ) he's not that smart.

#2 Edited by TrionAce (756 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#3 Edited by youknowwhattodo (1763 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't say that people overrate Batman's intellect as much as they underrate other heroes and villians intellect. They make it seem as though Batman is the only person in the world that is capable of analytic thought as well as the only person who can use prep time to his advantage.

#4 Posted by attatje (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he deserves to be considered smart because all the studies he's done and his keen mind but I have to admit many people overrate it.

#5 Edited by RustyRoy (14603 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman made most of his gadgets himself and he also built many things, he is one of the most intelligent man on DCU along with Lex, Terrific etc, the only reason he's mentioned more often because he's more popular than most of the smartest guys in comics even more than Lex.

#6 Posted by PapiNacho (3241 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope Batman is the second smartest human being in the DCU. If anything people underrate him.

#7 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

According to this site everything in the universe is overrated.

Food? Overrated

Water? Overrated

Shelter? Overrated

#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (46489 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely.

#9 Posted by Wolverine08 (46489 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope Batman is the second smartest human being in the DCU. If anything people underrate him.

Never thought I'd see the words Batman and underrate in the same sentence.

#10 Posted by lifeofvibe (3550 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by PapiNacho (3241 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Well underrated by comic fans I should say, it seems to me like it is an overcompensation for all the overrating non-comic fans do of him.

#12 Posted by Wolverine08 (46489 posts) - - Show Bio

@papinacho: Eh, comic fans do their fair share of overrating Batman themselves. Not a knock on the character, but I can't really take the idea of him being underrated in any aspect seriously. I agree some people try downplay him to counter act the obscene amounts of overrating he gets, but as a whole, Batman isn't underrated in the slighest.

#13 Posted by youknowwhattodo (1763 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Well underrated by comic fans I should say, it seems to me like it is an overcompensation for all the overrating non-comic fans do of him.

I think you might have it half-backwards, not that comic fans overrate him but I believe casuals might underrate his mind, because the Nolan trilogy rarely showed off his intellect, in fact Lucius Fox had more to do with Batman's success in those stories than Bruce Wayne.

#14 Posted by RustyRoy (14603 posts) - - Show Bio

@papinacho: Eh, comic fans do their fair share of overrating Batman themselves. Not a knock on the character, but I can't really take the idea of him being underrated in any aspect seriously. I agree some people try downplay him to counter act the obscene amounts of overrating he gets, but as a whole, Batman isn't underrated in the slighest.

Well he's being completely underrated by the OP so....

#15 Posted by Wolverine08 (46489 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@wolverine08 said:

Well he's being completely underrated by the OP so....

Lol, true.

#16 Edited by Strider92 (17903 posts) - - Show Bio

No he isn't. Constantine and Luther are both smarter. Just naming two off the top of my head there.

#17 Posted by PapiNacho (3241 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: If by Luther you mean Luthor then yes he is. Luthor is the smartest man in the DCU, that is why Batman is number 2. Constantine is tricky and very smart but he isn't smarter than Batman.

#18 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5626 posts) - - Show Bio

He's knowhere near Reed or Dooms level of intellect even though some fanboys on this site try to prove otherwise.

#19 Edited by Jack Donaghy (1254 posts) - - Show Bio

People saying he's overrated is overrated is overrated, I feel like I see people talk about how he's isn't that smart more than I see people overrating his intelligence. Lex Luthor is the only person I feel DC ever goes out of their way to say is smarter than him. Other characters may be better in certain areas of science but not overall knowledge. He probably isn't the very best at any 1 thing but if you combine all the things he's very good at he's very smart. I've always thought he was supposed to be one of the 3 smartest people on DC Earth with Lex and Mr. Terrific.

@lone_wolf_and_cub said:

He's knowhere near Reed or Dooms level of intellect even though some fanboys on this site try to prove otherwise.

Thank God he isn't then he'd really would be an overpowered God like those 2.

#20 Edited by 2cool4fun (1630 posts) - - Show Bio

Food? Overrated

Water? Overrated

Shelter? Overrated

Yes I know the word is overused, but that's not the point here.

#21 Posted by 2cool4fun (1630 posts) - - Show Bio
@rustyroy said:

Batman made most of his gadgets himself and he also built many things, he is one of the most intelligent man on DCU along with Lex, Terrific etc, the only reason he's mentioned more often because he's more popular than most of the smartest guys in comics even more than Lex.

Are you sure, cause I am certain Lucius builds most of the stuff, it's even shown in the 2 issue arc with clayface in his self titled comic. Plus unlike luthor and Terrific he never spent that much time ( if any ) learning how to build machines & other stuff, he is always shown to be learning martial arts & how to be a detective.

#23 Posted by PapiNacho (3241 posts) - - Show Bio

@2cool4fun: If you read zero yero, you'll see at least some of the time he spends building some of the machines. Lucius builds some stuff that Batman commissions but it is mostly Batman at least designing his own stuff. In fact you can see that even before he hired Lucius he had already built his first Batmobile, with some interesting capabilities to say the least.

#24 Posted by Novemberx2 (500 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6909 posts) - - Show Bio

No he is pretty intelligent. He's a brilliant scientist and a genius. But his victories lie in his in-genius.

#26 Posted by RustyRoy (14603 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you sure, cause I am certain Lucius builds most of the stuff, it's even shown in the 2 issue arc with clayface in his self titled comic. Plus unlike luthor and Terrific he never spent that much time ( if any ) learning how to build machines & other stuff, he is always shown to be learning martial arts & how to be a detective.

Well people have already said where you can find the proof that he builds his own stuff. As Batman spent all his time learning different things, unlike Luthor and Terrific, he didn't spent all his time learning just one thing and yet he is almost as good as them in those things, this shows if he spent his time only in one thing then he might have been better than them.

#27 Posted by Jack Donaghy (1254 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@2cool4fun said:

Well people have already said where you can find the proof that he builds his own stuff. As Batman spent all his time learning different things, unlike Luthor and Terrific, he didn't spent all his time learning just one thing and yet he is almost as good as them in those things, this shows if he spent his time only in one thing then he might have been better than them.

That's a good point, if Batman were to have focused only on science and not a mix of it detective skills, martial arts, escape artistry, etc it's very possible he'd be on their level in terms of science knowledge. Those 2 pretty much only focus on that so naturally they know more than him. Think of a 2 sport athlete like Bo Jackson sure he wasn't the best at either baseball or football but he was one of the best at both. If he devoted his time to only one sport he could have been the best at it.

#28 Posted by Rouflex (24510 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#29 Edited by acaciopereiraoliveira (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember lucius said that he had problems with the autopilot of the batplane in the 3rd nolan movie... and Bruce fix it...

On the subject i say that Bruce Wayne isnt the most intelligente person on DC comics, and it doesnt even qualify to the top 10... Yes his smart and very inteligente with lots of expertises and gadgets at is disposal...

Is advantage is the focused driven obsessive personality... wich makes him one of the most dangerous persons in dc.

#30 Edited by Jack Donaghy (1254 posts) - - Show Bio

Question for those who think Batman's intellect is overrated or that he's not even in the top 10 of smartest characters do you think he should have better intelligence feats? He's supposed to be one of the smartest people on Earth but most people here seem to think he isn't that impressive. So so you think it's the writers fault? Should Batman be written better when it comes to this and have more impressive feats? You can argue The Question is a better detective even though Batman is called the World's Greatest Detective, that would be like if the Flash (The Fastest Man Alive) didn't have better speed feats than say Aquaman. It's bad writing imho, don't give a character a certain nickname and them make another character look better than them at what they're supposed to be the best at.

I know there are people who actually think Batman is TOO smart but does anyone here think he isn't being portrayed as smart enough? Just curious.

#31 Posted by Dernman (16654 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy: I've seen many of his fans say he hasn't been portrayed as smart enough by certain writers. In fact thats one of the common complaints about Scott Snyder's Batman.

#32 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1370 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all. He has the feats to easily prove his superiority to Mr.Terrific and put him in the same League as Luthor, although I will say that Luthor is definitely superior in terms of scientific ability while Batman is superior from a tactical and strategic standpoint.

#33 Posted by PapiNacho (3241 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: I don't really understand why people would say that when Snyder's Batman is way smarter than John's, Tomasi's or even Layman's. The only one who could even compete is Pak's.

#34 Posted by sinestro_GL (3367 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated by writers, yes.

Not by the fans, because some of the writers make Batman capable of some ridiculous things

#35 Posted by El_Taza (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is written to look more intlligent than any other superhero. And it's actually very good because when I hear Tony Stark bragging that he's a genius I just don't buy it but I totally can buy that Bruce Wayne is. It's not in what writers call him but how they write him. And I know I'm gonna get crucified in here but I think his brain is actually underrated by some comic fans.

#36 Posted by MrTummyTumms (1039 posts) - - Show Bio
@rustyroy said:

Have you been reading Zero Year?

#37 Posted by tigerkaya (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

I find Batman's intellect overblown. What started as someone who was a master detective, expert in chemistry, martial arts, and some understanding of making gadgets. Has resulted from being a a more realistic yet still in the realm of fiction to overblown super genius. I just preferred Batman being a detective, strategist, martial artist than a suddenly in the ranks of Luthor, The Atom, and and Mister Terrific. I feel when you make him a master of everything you take away his street level elements and he becomes a full blown super human being. Example of this is when he is punched though a brick wall by a titan powered Bane from Arkham Origin.

#38 Posted by darkman61288 (823 posts) - - Show Bio

I find Batman's intellect overblown. What started as someone who was a master detective, expert in chemistry, martial arts, and some understanding of making gadgets. Has resulted from being a a more realistic yet still in the realm of fiction to overblown super genius. I just preferred Batman being a detective, strategist, martial artist than a suddenly in the ranks of Luthor, The Atom, and and Mister Terrific. I feel when you make him a master of everything you take away his street level elements and he becomes a full blown super human being. Example of this is when he is punched though a brick wall by a titan powered Bane from Arkham Origin.

He wears body armor so how is that far fetched?

#39 Posted by Outside_85 (11098 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman might as-well have been renamed to Overrated Man, because according to some people (and DC), Batman can out-think and outfight just about anyone.

#40 Edited by tigerkaya (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya said:

He wears body armor so how is that far fetched?

Body armor that was designed to take hits from from small fire arms and punches, not take blows from an already super strengthed Bane combined with being punched by devastating blows until he was punched through a wall.

#41 Posted by TBEMrMcCoy (1087 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy: This is absolutely true for all human beings. It is the way the brain works. If you give yourself a chance to "zone in" on one task you can surpass any results you would get when

dividing your attention amongst different fields and subjects.

#42 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6909 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Edited by Jack Donaghy (1254 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really see how people can say his intellect is overrated because online there seem to be more people saying he's overrated than there are people saying he's the smartest. It would be like if I went on an NBA forum in 2010 and said is LeBron James' ability to be clutch overrated, when almost everyone back then was saying he isn't clutch. Trust me there are more Batman's intelligence is overrated threads on here than there are Batman is the smartest person in the world threads. Hell if anything his intelligence might be a little underrated around here by some people.

#44 Posted by ShenKuei (1584 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really see how people can say his intellect is overrated because online there seem to be more people saying he's overrated than there are people saying he's the smartest. It would be like if I went on an NBA forum in 2010 and said is LeBron James' ability to be clutch overrated, when almost everyone back then was saying he isn't clutch. Trust me there are more Batman's intelligence is overrated threads on here than there are Batman is the smartest person in the world threads. Hell if anything his intelligence might be a little underrated around here by some people.

Food? Overrated

Water? Overrated

Shelter? Overrated

Co-signed.

#45 Edited by ClarkKent12 (133 posts) - - Show Bio

That's relative to how you rate it; if you say he's the most intelligent human on Earth, then yes. well-above average, then no.

#46 Posted by ViperKing (422 posts) - - Show Bio

That's relative to how you rate it; if you say he's the most intelligent human on Earth, then yes. well-above average, then no.

We finally agree on something.

#47 Edited by Jayc1324 (14910 posts) - - Show Bio

No not at all. A lot of people just don't know enough about his intelligence. The only person in DC smarter than him is lex luthor and not by a lot. Not on can batman think on his feet, but it is the worlds greatest detective, a great inventor, solves all of riddler riddles, is a master of prep, expert hacker, and has studied at the best universities around the globe. He has a very versatile mind.

#48 Posted by lightsout (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

No not at all. A lot of people just don't know enough about his intelligence. The only person in DC smarter than him is lex luthor and not by a lot. Not on can batman think on his feet, but it is the worlds greatest detective, a great inventor, solves all of riddler riddles, is a master of prep, expert hacker, and has studied at the best universities around the globe. He has a very versatile mind.

Exactly. The real key to intelligence is creativity. People always bring up the various guys who've created the various androids & how Batman "hasn't done anything like that". But the thing is, those guys are hyper-specialized in their fields. Batman isn't building any gadgets like Tony Stark (though he briefly has. He had a mech-suit to fight talons. He's built a suit that mimicked the powers of the other JL members, etc) because it doesn't fit his character. He's a ninja-detective who lurks in the shadows. He doesn't do anything that doesn't further his goals/the way he fights crime. He knows a lot in a plethora of fields, but he only bothers to learn enough to help him accomplish his crime-fighting goals. If he wanted to be a builder of artificially intelligent androids, or shrinking technology, I'm sure he could. We have plenty of examples of him tinkering with other peoples' tech & re-purposing it. (Even in n52, in a flash-back to his training he turned some sort of jet boot (I think?) into a weapon, out in the field, spur of the moment -- he's definitely a genius).

#49 Posted by Jayc1324 (14910 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout: Yeah and he also built a suit to hide him from the entire electromagnetic spectrum so that superman couldnt see him through walls and stuff like that. The fact that batman can do things close to what experts can do in so many fields proves his genius.

#50 Edited by lightsout (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: I would even argue it's the opposite of what detractors say. In that, they often say that it's an negative of the character ("Batgod", making him good at everything, etc), when I would argue that by doing what I described (having him only dabble in things so as to further his quest against crime in Gotham) they're creating a good (/deep) character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.