Did they pair up Supe & Diana bcoz Storm & T'challa didn't work?

#1 Posted by jhazzroucher (15764 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking that maybe DC Comics decided to pair up Superman and Wonder Woman and not Batman and Wonder Woman because Storm and Black Panther didn't work. Well, Black Panther is similar to Batman.

What do you think?

#2 Edited by Samimista (20711 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was due to Superman and Wonder Woman being more patriotic than Batman and Wonder Woman. Don't think it had to do with Black Panther and Storm. Also, Superman came before Batman and Wonder Woman is the most iconic DC female character so that could be why as well.

#3 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

The break-up and the get-together were being written at the same time, so...

No.

And that was just not a good question.

#4 Posted by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

What? And to answer the question: F**k no.

#5 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Jhazz, you know I love you and all.......but the connection you've made with these couples don't make not one d@mn bit of sense. Superman and WonderWoman have bigger fans than Storm and Black Panther combined (mind you, Storm's popularity>>>>>Black Panther's popularity), and the two of them had (assumed) romantic tension way before Marvel decided to put Storm and Black Panther together.......

See, this is why myself and others have repeatedly asked you to post in the official Storm thread. This question doesn't give you a good look. This question didn't need a thread. I don't know why you insist on fighting the official Storm Discussion Thread, but it's not exactly a battle that you are winning. I say this with love, but this is re-d@mn-diculous. We already struggle with the Marvel fans enough as it is. Please leave the DC people alone.

#6 Posted by jhazzroucher (15764 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

Jhazz, you know I love you and all.......but the connection you've made with these couples don't make not one d@mn bit of sense. Superman and WonderWoman have bigger fans than Storm and Black Panther combined (mind you, Storm's popularity>>>>>Black Panther's popularity), and the two of them had (assumed) romantic tension way before Marvel decided to put Storm and Black Panther together.......

See, this is why myself and others have repeatedly asked you to post in the official Storm thread. This question doesn't give you a good look. This question didn't need a thread. I don't know why you insist on fighting the official Storm Discussion Thread, but it's not exactly a battle that you are winning. I say this with love, but this is re-d@mn-diculous. We already struggle with the Marvel fans enough as it is. Please leave the DC people alone.

it wasn't a connection between Supe/WW & Storm/BP that I was trying to discuss.

It was because BP and Batman are similar, especially in character.

SO if it was Batman and WW relationship, WW may be written just like how Storm was written with BP.

#7 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

SO if it was Batman and WW relationship, WW may be written just like how Storm was written with BP.

By mentioning the two couples, you absolutely are talking about their connection, which doesn't really exist. These people have nothing to do with each other, and Storm and BP's relationship not working out has no connection with Wonder Woman and Batman not having a romantic relationship. Writers have written Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman in the same team setting for many years. Wonder Woman being a tank of the highest order hasn't negatively affected Batman, and vice versa. Marvel dropped the ball on what could have been a stellar pairing, but that doesn't mean that DC got scared, or had second thoughts about who to pair WW up with....Especially since their characters already have REAL history together.

#8 Posted by jhazzroucher (15764 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

By mentioning the two couples, you absolutely are talking about their connection, which doesn't really exist. These people have nothing to do with each other, and Storm and BP's relationship not working out has no connection with Wonder Woman and Batman not having a romantic relationship. Writers have written Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman in the same team setting for many years. Wonder Woman being a tank of the highest order hasn't negatively affected Batman, and vice versa. Marvel dropped the ball on what could have been a stellar pairing, but that doesn't mean that DC got scared, or had second thoughts about who to pair WW up with....Especially since their characters already have REAL history together.

but why then did they choose "Superman and Wonder Woman kissing" cover and not Batman and WW pair?

#9 Posted by chalkshark (1189 posts) - - Show Bio

DC threw Superman and Wonder Woman together because the company has, largely, abandoned actual storytelling in favor of stunts. The Black Panther/ Storm romance, while a bit forced, wasn't a completely improbable relationship, and handled well, as it was in Fantastic Four, seemed quite natural. Unfortunately, the majority of Marvel's writers didn't seem to be on board with the idea, and it was left fallow for most of it's duration.

#10 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

Thanks, voice of reason.

#11 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@White Mage said:

Thanks, voice of reason.

WM- Thank You, not only for this, but for every time because I have personally lost the patience to continue asking.

#12 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@White Mage said:

but why then did they choose "Superman and Wonder Woman kissing" cover and not Batman and WW pair?

Why did Marvel pair Storm up with Black Panther and not Wolverine? Why did Marvel pair Storm up with Forge and not Thor? Why isn't Deathstroke cracking as many jokes as Deadpool? ..................................My options for these questions are:

1. Come up with conspiracy theories circling the idea that DC saw Superman and Lois Lane as a similar couple to Storm and Forge (Superpowered vs. normal-ish), and thus, decided to try and compete with their success.

2. Marvel saw the romantic possibilities between WW and Batman, and decided that Black Panther and Storm would be a perfect "What If" version of that couple

or

3. Accept the fact that different writers choose different stories for different characters that they think will make them more interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.