DC's 'Static Shock' and 'Green Arrow' Get New Writers

Posted by No_Name_ (17409 posts) - - Show Bio

Recent rumors regarding the departure of some DC creators from the 'New 52' books have been circling the web, and this morning two announcements reinforced that there may actually be some truth to those rumors. According to a release earlier today, writer Ann Nocenti will be making her return to comics following a 15 year hiatus to pen Green Arrow; this news comes after several weeks of rumors that writer J.T. Krul had left the book. Nocenti will take over where Krul left off, on issue #7 of the series. Her return to comics comes at an appropriate time, too, considering the recent call for more female creators in the industry by both male and female readers.

“I’m thrilled to be taking over Green Arrow. What I adore about the Arrow is his recklessness. He’ll shoot off on an impulse, dispatch someone if they deserve it; his heroism is instinctive. I start with a crazy trilogy that is chock full of surprises. Arrow gets a new woman (and boy, is it complicated), flings himself out of his old life into a new one, and meets a new world class villain. It’s gonna be a wild ride!”

Ann Nocenti was a successful Editor at Marvel comics back in the 80's and 90's; but her experience doesn't end with editing. Nocenti created Longshot for Marvel and also wrote the Daredevil series following Frank Miller's run.

== TEASER ==

Nocenti isn't the only creator to fill in. Earlier today it was announced that writer Marc Bernardin will be taking over the Static Shock series following John Rozum's departure from the book several weeks ago. Bernardin's entrance onto the series will begin with issue #7, and he cited his excitement in a recent interview about writing for the young hero.

"As a fan and as a writer, one of the great things about Static isn't just that he's a new hero, it's also that he's a young hero. He will make the mistakes of youth and, even though the New 52 is resetting a lot of heroes to their early days as do-gooders, there's nothing quite like the fumblings of a teenager."

Hopefully these creators will be able to pick up where the characters have been left off. What do you think of Marc Bernardin's entry into Static Shock and Ann Nocenti writing 'Green Arrow'?

Source: DC Source

#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

This is proof that God exists and he likes Green Arrow.

#2 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

SO EXCITED FOR NOCENTI! I love her writing! Im glad she's made it to DC!

And Im glad that Barnardin is finally getting a chance to shine. Hopefully he doesn't ruin his chance like some other writers that won't be mentioned.

#3 Posted by xRonanx (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the old school Longshot comics, Ann Nocenti hopping aboard is exciting!

#4 Posted by Green Flash (155 posts) - - Show Bio

Still wish the it were Dinah, but I'm excited for Nocenti's take.

#5 Posted by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank god!

Static was such a major disappointment. Like Chad Ochocinco in fantasy football, or watching Return of the Jedi for the first time when your an adult.

The local comic store owner and workers advised me against Green Arrow, along with other sources saying it was probably the worst 52 book.

Now all I need is a Xombi mini or regular series.

#6 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Given Ann's experience as an activist and a journalist, I am very interested in seeing where she takes Ollie. Hopefully back to his Denny O'Neil roots.

Nice to see two of the weaker New 52 titles getting upgrades.

#7 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting changes to be made! I don't read either of the titles but I don't see how either of these changes in the writing team can make things worse. Time will tell though. I'm just curious why J. T. Krul will be off GA by issue 7?

#8 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@waruikumo: Completely agree with you on hoping that Rozum does something with Xombi. With the way the DC Dark titles have been received, it seems likely.

#9 Posted by Unwritten Duck (110 posts) - - Show Bio

The guy who did this art is just freaking awesome.

#10 Posted by chalkshark (1194 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Arrow has been two solid months of terrible. Were it not for the embellishments of George Perez, the title would have no redeeming qualities. Taking on Nocenti as writer has to be the best news I've heard all year. I am curious as to why creators are jumping ship so early, though. Since every single book has sold like gangbusters, it doesn't seem like editorial would be pushing for changes this soon. Sure, there's been a lot of criticism leveled at a lot of these books, but I would think sales would trump any negativity dogging these  titles.

#11 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really familiar with Marc Bernadin, but I'm willing to go with it for Static Shock.

#12 Posted by papo (173 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why they chose to have static on the new 52 it really dose not deserve the spot

#13 Posted by Roldan (241 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duo_forbidden said:

Not really familiar with Marc Bernadin, but I'm willing to go with it for Static Shock.

He's from the school of 'characters with witty dialog' (not my words). So he might be perfect for the title, also if you want some more proof of it, watch the JLU episode Task Force X (he wrote it apparently).

#14 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2298 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of this is wrong, Krul's only on until Green Arrow #3, Kieth Giffen's taking over from 4-6.

#15 Posted by ninjacommando (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I might pick up Green Arrow again. Never have, nor ever will have interest in Static.

#16 Posted by Caleb044 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@waruikumo said:

Static was such a major disappointment. Like Chad Ochocinco in fantasy football, or watching Return of the Jedi for the first time when your an adult.

Best Static review I've read so far!

#17 Posted by ScarlettLynn (160 posts) - - Show Bio
Nocenti will take over where Krul left off, on issue #7 of the series.

She's taking over on Issue #7 but that won't be where Krul left off. Krul is off the book as of Issue #4. Dan Jurgens and Keith Giffen are the solicited writers for Green Arrow #4.
#18 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

When does Bernardin start? I want to buy that issue.

#19 Posted by FalcomAdol (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Really interesting, I'll have to start with Green Arrow for sure.

#20 Posted by Mercy_ (92985 posts) - - Show Bio

They get rid of Perez and I'll probably pick GA up again.

#21 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9244 posts) - - Show Bio

I think new writers is something these two series need.

#22 Posted by kennybaese (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

While I liked the Static Shock cartoon, I've never been super interested in the character beyond that. I've like the majority of what JT Krul did with Green Arrow, so it'll be interesting to see what this new writer does with him. I've never read any of her stuff before, but it sounds like people are fans, so I'm looking forward to it.

#23 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

No JT = Win

#24 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, thank goodness. GA has been pretty awful.

#25 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard good things about Ann Nocenti, so I'll definitely check out her arc in Green Arrow. I love JT Krul's writing, but having the Emerald Archer square off against the supervillain equivalent of Jersey Shore does not inspire confidence.

#26 Posted by daredevil21134 (12332 posts) - - Show Bio

Give Green Arrow back his old look

#27 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@chalkshark said:

Green Arrow has been two solid months of terrible. Were it not for the embellishments of George Perez, the title would have no redeeming qualities. Taking on Nocenti as writer has to be the best news I've heard all year. I am curious as to why creators are jumping ship so early, though. Since every single book has sold like gangbusters, it doesn't seem like editorial would be pushing for changes this soon. Sure, there's been a lot of criticism leveled at a lot of these books, but I would think sales would trump any negativity dogging these titles.

Giffen was just a place holder. He was just filling in a gap for the next writer.

@walkingcarpet said:

While I liked the Static Shock cartoon, I've never been super interested in the character beyond that. I've like the majority of what JT Krul did with Green Arrow, so it'll be interesting to see what this new writer does with him. I've never read any of her stuff before, but it sounds like people are fans, so I'm looking forward to it.

Im with you on that. I loved the cartoon but have never really cared much for the comics. But ill try it.

#28 Posted by cincyducksfan35 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

I will never understand this "call for female writers." Who cares if it a woman or man who is the creator on the book? You know who I would like to work on the book? The most talented creator available. Man, Woman, Skrull or whatever, just whoever will do the best job.

#29 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else thinks green arrow really looks like Ultimate hawkeye now...?

#30 Posted by CaptainCockblock (3672 posts) - - Show Bio

GREEN ARROW LIVES! Oh, I'm so happy I could just put a kitten in a microwave. Or, ya know, less crazy second thing...

Ah, screw it, come here Tinkerbell!

#31 Posted by zzax (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay!!

I loved Nocenti's Daredevil run. I would read her worst issue a dozen times before I would re-read a single issue from Bendis' run.

That's right, I said it.

#32 Edited by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

lol

#33 Posted by MoodyKingMoron (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm even more excited for Green Arrow now, I've never heard of Ann Nocenti, but I'm intrigued to see what she does with the book.

#34 Posted by Cakeman3000 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

: @Gambit1024 said:

#35 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

I will DEFINITELY give Green Arrow another chance with a new writer on board. If Dan Jurgens was off art duties, I'd be doubly sure the series could turn itself around, but as it stands I'm willing to jump back into Ollie Queen's adventures.

#36 Posted by Antonio_Blackheart (1542 posts) - - Show Bio

still not going jump back on

#37 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

Amen. I literally danced around for 10 mins when I hear Kruls off Green Arrow. Its better late than never
#38 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio
@difficlus said:

Anyone else thinks green arrow really looks like Ultimate hawkeye now...?

more like Smallville green arrow but i see the resemblance to ultimate hawkeye.
#39 Posted by chalkshark (1194 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123: Was unaware that Giffen was stepping in to write the series, with issue #4. That's even better news. Krul can't shuffle off the title fast enough for me. 
#40 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss: I know. And looking at your avatar I'm assuming you're a fan of GA: Year One. One of the best origin stories, imo.

#41 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024
Yeah I loved GA Year One. It's definitely one of the better origin stories
#42 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool news. I think both of these series will get more interesting soon. I hated what people were saying about the lack of female creators in comics because it's not like it was DC's fault. I mean as if they have thousands of women begging to work for them and they only choose the men.

#43 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Now, just let him grow back his beard, acknowledge the rest of the Arrow family and I'm all set to love this book finally!

#44 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

Ann Nocenti is one of the most underrated writers in comics. I can't wait to see what she does.

#45 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited about the Green Arrow news. JT Krul needed to go. I haven't enjoyed the series so far. Now it looks like I'll be sticking around since he's on his way out

#46 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34277 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

#47 Posted by Nasar7 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@cincyducksfan35 said:

I will never understand this "call for female writers." Who cares if it a woman or man who is the creator on the book? You know who I would like to work on the book? The most talented creator available. Man, Woman, Skrull or whatever, just whoever will do the best job.

Yes, but statistically white men are unfairly given more opportunities to prove this than are women and minorities, even when they are sometimes not the best for the job.

#48 Posted by Feralweasel (6 posts) - - Show Bio

THANK YOU GOD! Green Arrow finally gets a better writer.

#49 Posted by pahphoenix (36 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus: DC already has the issues in the can to that point

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.