Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DCs Sep 2014 project: Five Years Later

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Bleeding cool stated they've been posting article after article about this, yet this is the first I've heard about it. Seems like DC is making a trend out of a gimmicky September with "Five Years Later."

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/05/dan-didio-confirms-five-years-later-the-weekly-comic-from-dc-comics/

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well they did say taht every september will have something, but i don't think they will be able to keep this up for more then 2-3 years, they will run out of ideas, and i already don't like this one, also i just fucking hope we don't get a 6th robin...enough is enough...

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Five years later sounds fun, hopefully authors will plan out their storylines better though.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@2cool4fun: 1. You should probably censor yourself when you curse.

2. They aren't not going to make a 6th Robin just because you don't want one.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are going to fill those 5 years of gap that already exist or is this going to be five years from the current continuity?

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare:

1. yeah i know

2. i freaking know, that does not mean i can't tell what i think does it?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This could either go really well or terribly wrong.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

From what I've read on different websites, apparently each series will jump forward five years and show what each character will/could be like then, but this will only last for one issue and then revert back to the currently timeline. So I'm curious as to way DC would jump forward only to jump right back, what could they gain by showing us a future that's not set in stone and could easily change. I like the idea of the DCnU jumping forward a few years, but not sure the point if they're just going to revert right back to the current time. I'd rather they jump forward and stay there.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've read on different websites, apparently each series will jump forward five years and show what each character will/could be like then, but this will only last for one issue and then revert back to the currently timeline. So I'm curious as to way DC would jump forward only to jump right back, what could they gain by showing us a future that's not set in stone and could easily change. I like the idea of the DCnU jumping forward a few years, but not sure the point if they're just going to revert right back to the current time. I'd rather they jump forward and stay there.

The New 52 of DC One Million. DC Five Forthcoming. :P

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: to put fancy covers on the books, put out more books, and make more money. And I'm a dc fan by the way.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MakkyD

These September gimmick are hit and miss, but the ideas behind them are often good.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By longbowhunter

I'm wondering if this is an attempt to repair some of the continuity errors of the new 52? Seems like it might make things more complicated.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want to see what Supes will be like in his 30's in the new 52.

Avatar image for terrybogard2014
    TerryBogard2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't like it,similar to villains month,just putting on goings on hold to ship out 1 shots that will most likely not be cannon because it would hamstring them creatively

Magmaster12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Magmaster12

I'm guessing when the Titans to return there own time they'll be five years late and no one would question what happened to them over the last five years.

ChiSoxRox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And Batwoman will still be only engaged.

Magmaster12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Magmaster12

They're doing this for the same reason they did Crisis on Infinite Earths and New 52, to be more like Marvel.

CoIE was done to get rid of the Multi-Verse to be more like Marvel.

New 52 was created to get rid of the legacy heroes to be more like Marvel.

Five Years later is happening because the biggest thing keeping DC different from Marvel was the fact there main heroes are relatively inexperienced.

If anything original comes out of DC from having 5 years later it's going to be retconned.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@longbowhunter: most likely, to both things

Also, you're my favorite forum member. I agree with you on pretty much everything.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By longbowhunter
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By the_tree

I hope it's an attempt at making things more like pre-New 52 DC.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'm not a big fan of their alternate titles in September because it puts too big a break in the story if it is in the middle of the arc and there is no progression for two months.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: Agreed if they do this all story arcs before need a to be tied up.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Well I enjoyed the zero issues I've read but villains month seemed really lackluster to me. I didn't have the money to read them all so I plan on picking them up in trade but from what I've heard they're very low quality books. So I hope that with this next event they at least have good artwork and decent stories. I hope they put some effort into this

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Well now, five years later is apparently a weekly series and not a monthly event. I have mixed feelings about bringing BB into continuity, but we'll see how the authors handle it. It seems to have an all-star team.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.