Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DC's No Joke Rumor

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Edited By SaintWildcard

I'm obviously very late to the party but I'd like to address the whole "No Jokes" rumor that was going around about the DC Cinematic Universe. Now of course there are two ways to take it. The extreme one that they will not say a single joke in their movies and the more sane one that they meant their movies will have a much more serious tone but not deprived of jokes as some would believe. I will be talking about the serious tone theory.

1. No Humor Myth

2. Grass is Greener

3. Saturation

4. Villains

5. My Thoughts

No Humor Myth

As pointed out by some users there has been humor in DC movies. The Joker being the obvious go to with his dark humor but let's take a look at the supposed "humorless" MoS. Although I'll agree it's not as obvious as a dance off, Tony's wise cracks or sex jokes, MoS did have, although subtle, humor.

1. Lois brought a lot of humor in with her conversation with the Military
    2. Although Clark didn't look at the camera and grin, Lois tells him her bags were heavy so he should be careful
    3. The Priest's reaction to Clark saying he's who Zod wants
    4. The trucker trying to push Clark
    5. Clark wrecking that dude's truck
    6. That army chick saying he's hot
    7. Superman being handcuffed
    8. Superman's interactions with the military
    9. "Welcome to the Planet" line at the end

So while not as wacky as Marvel, DC does have a much more subtle form of comedy, but when things get real, they don't crack funny one liners.

Grass Is Greener

Now many people find it to be a dumb move by DC to keep the serious tone and not have a much more fun vibe like Marvel. There are even DC fans who hate this and want the same tone Marvel has.... the thing is there are Marvel fans who dislike the constant comedic tone of Marvel and want less jokes in their movies. So we have (as the point title suggests) a "Grass is Greener" scenario. Trying to play to this scenario actually helps them avoid...

Saturation

The day that WB/DC announced the 9 films some people brought the argument that this many movies would over saturate the market. While this may or may not happen it is more likely to happen if the tone of the movies are the same. People will get tired of the same thing over and over again. A change of tone not only helps diversify the market it's also the best bet for DC. They gain more by playing the odds, cus different strokes for different folks.

Villains

Let's face it, villains are meant to be BAMFs not punchlines. As controversial as MoS was, people will remember Zod more than Malekith, Ronin, The Mandarin, etc. A serious tone is needed for bad guys. You have to feel a sense of urgency and they have to matter. The minute you slam him like a rag doll or confuse him with dance moves you make us loose all sense of fear and respect we should have for the villain.

My Thoughts

It's good. Go DC! I'm hoping to see great stories and villains from you. I'm not good at wrap ups so I'm just gonna post this song

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Uh, Faora >>>>> Zod. Faora was awesome, Zod cant use his neck anymore..

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh, Faora >>>>> Zod. Faora was awesome, Zod cant use his neck anymore..

I'll agree that Faora had the best moments and arguably the better fight moves, but Zod's final moment where he didn't wanna stop earned him the victory for me.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By EyeDCyou

Great write up. I'm glad you understand what they meant haha too many people here were taking it too seriously.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@saint_wildcard: Sorry, I didn't read any of that because...BILL! *Points dramatically*

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Let's face it, villains are meant to be BAMFs not punchlines. As controversial as MoS was, people will remember Zod more than Malekith, Ronin, The Mandarin, etc. A serious tone is needed for bad guys. You have to feel a sense of urgency and they have to matter. The minute you slam him like a rag doll or confuse him with dance moves you make us loose all sense of fear and respect we should have for the villain.

This point right here is too true.

Joker, Bane, and Zod will always be more memorable than Malekith, Ronin, Whatever the heck his name was in Iron Man 1, etc.

The only exception to this is Loki, who I will admit retained his iconic status even with the whole rag doll moment.

Jmarshmallow

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rogueshadow  Moderator

DC has a deadpan/dry humour which I'm fine with. I don't like to play favourites, because I love Marvel and DC, but I prefer the MOS tone overall honestly. Without a joke every few minutes they feel more epic, and when a DC film comes out, it's an event. Marvel films have been getting a bit too silly since phase one, Cap 2 had the best balance.

Say what you will about MOS, but when Superman fought I was like, 'Holy sh*t, this is raw, superhuman beings are really going at it'

I enjoy it, but when Thor is the butt of a childish joke halfway through a fight, it loses something. In DC, when Gods fight, guess what? Sh*t breaks and there's no time for chit chat.

Oh, and don't forget Lois' 'Welcome to the Planet' that was pretty funny.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm okay with the dry humor it creates contrast to the Marvel/Disney movies plus I prefer for the antagonist to be terrifying or at least be serious obstacle to overcome.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

Great right up. I'm glad you understand what they meant haha too many people here were taking it too seriously.

@ostyo said:

@saint_wildcard: Sorry, I didn't read any of that because...BILL! *Points dramatically*

._.

wut?

DC has a deadpan/dry humour which I'm fine with. I don't like to play favourites, because I love Marvel and DC, but I prefer the MOS tone overall honestly. Without a joke every few minutes they feel more epic, and when a DC film comes out, it's an event. Marvel films have been getting a bit too silly since phase one, Cap 2 had the best balance.

Say what you will about MOS, but when Superman fought I was like, 'Holy sh*t, this is raw, superhuman beings are really going at it'

I enjoy it, but when Thor is the butt of a childish joke halfway through a fight, it loses something. In DC, when Gods fight, guess what? Sh*t breaks and there's no time for chit chat.

Oh, and don't forget Lois' 'Welcome to the Planet' that was pretty funny.

Also I added the Planet line.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

THe rumor is not true. END OF STORY.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to think that the serious tone is true, unless you mean the entire rumor has been debunked.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

2. Although Clark didn't look at the camera and grin, Lois tell him her bags were heavy so he should be careful

I didn't find any of this to be funny, except for maybe #6

I do agree with this to a certain extent though, i'm really hoping they don't screw Thanos up.

While Ronan, and Malekith were disappointments, i do think the MCU has some good/great villans (Loki, Red Skull, Winter Soldier,etc), its definitely something Marvel has to work on.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@ostyo said:

Lol good one Ost, but you're still going down next week.

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Great write up!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh said:

I like to think that the serious tone is true, unless you mean the entire rumor has been debunked.

Seth Rogen said that the NO JOKE rumor is not true.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket: Haha, worry about tonight first. So you're a Gravity Falls fan to?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Lvenger

2. Although Clark didn't look at the camera and grin, Lois tell him her bags were heavy so he should be careful

None of that was funny in the slightest. Especially Clark wrecking that guy's truck and livelihood. If that's what you call humour, I found your sense of humour to be greatly lacking. Some Marvel movies have their serious moments too but balance it out with correctly timed laughs and jokes that aren't corny. DC's movies are just plain gritty and edgy and whilst that works for Batman, it doesn't work for Superman.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

Seth Rogen said that the NO JOKE rumor is not true.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SaintWildcard

@lvenger said:

None of that was funny in the slightest. Especially Clark wrecking that guy's truck and livelihood. If that's what you call humour, I found your sense of humour to be greatly lacking. Some Marvel movies have their serious moments too but balance it out with correctly timed laughs and jokes that aren't corny. DC's movies are just plain gritty and edgy and whilst that works for Batman, it doesn't work for Superman.

You're really gonna sit there and claim Your Sense of Humor>>>>>> Other Peoples Sense of Humor.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard:

Good stuff - I'm utterly hoping they literally will not tell a single joke - I'm fine with subtle humour such as Clark's conversation with Lois about him being cuffed, and Clark crushing the truck etc. etc. Although stuff like the military girl telling the guy that Superman was hot was out of place. I'd like not a single joke to be told - I'm not "joking", that's really what I'd like :)

- TAS

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: Nope, my cousin is. I just know that line from one of the episodes.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Nice points. I have really been thinking about the whole Man of Steel stuff a lot lately. From recently seeing the movie and reading articles and forums on the Vine. I like the movie though like I said before it doesn't feel like a Superman movie. While to me it is lacking humor and it takes itself too seriously I think it was the choice in colors that brings me down. I have always liked the DC universe because it seemed like such a colorful place. Superman and Flash comics are always full of colorful characters and while Batman is dark we have the colorful sidekick Robin and colorful villains like Joker, Two-Face, Riddler, etc.

I wanted to see the bright colors throughout the movie. What makes Marvel movies more attracting to me is that they do use color. They don't drain the colors out to make it feel dark. They let it feel like a comic book. Man of Steel drained the colors for the movie. It wasn't a bright comic book looking world. We get the darkness with Batman. Superman should be bright and colorful. At least in my opinion.

I do agree with the villains. Once DC truly gets going the villains will play a huge success in the villains. Marvel has good villains. Though DC has a lot more memorable ones that people know of without having to even see the movies. Everyone knows of Batman's foes and even Superman's.

I agree with the tone. If they use different tones it could help. I just feel like the tone they chose for Man of Steel wasn't great for a Superman movie.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Yeah, that rumor can't be true. If it was Warner Bros. would sink themselves with the Shazam film. That needs humor.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juke: WB isn't doing Shazam, añ other studio owned by WB is

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.