DC to switch characters sexual orientation.

• 138 results
#1 Edited by Dernman (14736 posts) - - Show Bio

One question asked at the DC panel today at Kapow, was about Dan’s interview with the Advocate in the USA. Specifically over the decision not to change any character’s sexual orientation when relaunching the DC Universe. At the time Dan stated they would introduce new LGBT characters rather than switch orientation, but the question asked why DC would switch race, size, age, all sorts of identifying features, but not orientation.

Surprisingly, DiDio stated that they had changed DC’s policy in this regard. And they ae about to reintroduce a previously existing DC character who was previously straight and now will be “one of our most prominent gay characters.”

As Bob Wayne explained that, just like the President of the United States, the co-publisher’s policy on this “has evolved.”

Who do you think it will be? 
What do you think about them doing this? 

Update:  Don't know if this is connected but Scott Snyder says there's a new gay character coming to Batman soon 
Update2: The character that will be changed will be male.
#2 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

well it cant be any of the current characters right? if they are "reintroducing a previously existing DC character" that means they havent already been reintroduced...

Wally West. lmao

#3 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm tempted to put this in the Cassandra Cain forum

#4 Posted by Andromeda (658 posts) - - Show Bio

O_o hrrm

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone I've seen talk about it says they want Tim Drake to come out of the closet.

#6 Posted by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

I'm tempted to put this in the Cassandra Cain forum

Do it for Gambler :)
BB

#7 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bestostero: LOL. There might be a backslash.
#8 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope its a character that has enough depth to carry his own title and not be a supporting character

#9 Posted by Maniac2312 (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@shakes head and sighs, walks away from thread@

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32728 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman, I said this a while ago. It's the reason why her and Steve can't be together and why she cares for that girl so much

#11 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

how are they gonna reintroduce Batman and Dick Grayson?

#12 Posted by Queen's Halo (2431 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's a guy I'm so going to start reading DC comics again.

#13 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew it all along.

#14 Edited by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes from now on Batwoman is going to eat more hot dogs than Parris Hilton

@InnerVenom123 said:

Everyone I've seen talk about it says they want Tim Drake to come out of the closet.

Tim. Drake. Is. Not. Gay. Damn you fan art and fan fics, damn you to heck. Besides right now he's lamenting about being in Wonder Girls friend-zone, Lobdell has claimed that they will eventually have a relationship at some point and the up coming solicit from #12 suggest that it's coming soon.

#15 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Hrm....

Well, I don't think it'll be Wally West. He's got a wife and twins. ...Unless they totally butcher everything that'd been already built for him. And if that's the case, I'd boycott DC altogether (comics-wise anyway).

Maybe one of the New Gods? Plastic Man?

#16 Posted by Saren (25280 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Blue Beetle?

He was not aroused!
#17 Edited by Dernman (14736 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it's Donna Troy or Wally West. I feel they wont show up for a long time.

#18 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Wonder Woman, I said this a while ago. It's the reason why her and Steve can't be together and why she cares for that girl so much

I've got the same feeling and I'm not liking it one bit.

#19 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: i was watching young justice the other day and i was observing his character...and in my mind i was saying "the blue on his costume must come straight from the rainbow"

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32728 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I dont think it would bother me TBH
#21 Edited by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd guess Rose Wilson due to the incredible amount of subtext in most of her dialogue with Fairchild, except that it says "re"introducing. That also makes Wonder Woman, another likely guess due to her growing up in a society of all women, probably not the suspect, considering she's already been introduced. Maybe Donna Troy? Or Wally, maybe, I guess it's possible. I don't think there's a real major gay male character right now, is there? I mean, there's Bunker on Teen Titans, but he's brand new and not a major name by any means.

Unless by "re"introducing they mean that it's a reintroduction of their sexuality, and therefore could apply to an already existing character? I don't know.

#22 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam said:

I knew it all along.

i would jump for joy if its him,

#23 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor: Maybe he is...
#24 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

It would. Batman and Wonder Woman are my shipping pair.

#25 Posted by Dernman (14736 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: Superman/Wonder Woman>>>Wonder Woman/Batman
#26 Edited by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

a little, usually I would make a joke about it but I spent 2 hours on fan fic. net yesterday and the things I saw there *shudders* no man should read what I have read, it will haunt me forever

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Me either, honestly I've assumed she was either bi or that she and the other Amazonians had a different view of sexual preference than most people

#27 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: That is so false you have no idea.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32728 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

It would. Batman and Wonder Woman are my shipping pair.

I hate superhero on superhero relationships unless they where created for that
#29 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

I'd guess Rose Wilson due to the incredible amount of subtext in most of her dialogue with Fairchild, except that it says "re"introducing. That also makes Wonder Woman, another likely guess due to her growing up in a society of all women, probably not the suspect, considering she's already been introduced. Maybe Donna Troy? Or Wally, maybe, I guess it's possible. I don't think there's a real major gay male character right now, is there? I mean, there's Bunker on Teen Titans, but he's brand new and not a major name by any means.

Unless by "re"introducing they mean that it's a reintroduction of their sexuality, and therefore could apply to an already existing character? I don't know.

Oh right. I'm not worried about it anymore, its Catlin and Ravager for sure. Nearly forgot about that.

#30 Posted by Onemoreposter (3943 posts) - - Show Bio

....not Wally...

#31 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

I picked up in the context this was a character that hasn't appeared in the New 52 yet but that previously existed in the DC universe so most of these suggestions are invalid (if I read correctly anyway)

#32 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

I hate superhero on superhero relationships unless they where created for that

I see... I think it depends, personally.

#33 Posted by Dernman (14736 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: Batman/Robin>>>Wonder Woman/Batman
#34 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: I honestly wouldn't mind one bit if it did turn out to be them, considering their interactions, especially their first one, so far have been pretty sweet (and by that I mean touching, not awesome). of course Rose currently wants to kill Caitlin because of certain circumstances, but I feel like that won't last long and they'll make up... maybe that ends up being the reason why they make up, I don't know.

#35 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bestostero: please no! I'm not homophobic but I want wally to be the same as before!

I think it'll be Stephanie brown.

shoot me now, if you like...

#36 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor: Ha you should see the fan arts..
#37 Posted by Thorion88 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

More change for the sake of change. Instead of trying to actually create new characters for this, let's revamp existing ones, cause that won't tick fans of these characters off....

Excuse me while i purchase a wrecking ball and find out where Dan Didiot lives.

#38 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a gay WW or a gay Batman. Just as long as Batman's not in love with his already-established supporting cast, he can screw any dude he wants.

#39 Edited by Dernman (14736 posts) - - Show Bio

I change my mind about it being Wally or Donna. It kinda has to be a somewhat big name if they are going to be "one of their most prominent gay characters". 

Who is left that hasn't shown up that has someone of a name?

#40 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

I want a gay kryptonian now to think of it.

#41 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: Idk, The Atom? He hasn't been around, yet

#42 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman and Tim Drake would both be big time choices, although in both cases (expecially Tim's) I think bisexuality is a comfortable fit. No other obvious choices spring to mind. Firestorm maybe?

In any event, this is an interesting development. Obama's stance on gay marriage has really set a tone of being conscious and considerate of sexual orientation, and I think and art form that doesn't acknowledge reality and attempt to portray it well is shackling itself.

#43 Posted by Dernman (14736 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

Ray Palmer has but not Ryan Choi.
#44 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32728 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@Primmaster64 said:

a little, usually I would make a joke about it but I spent 2 hours on fan fic. net yesterday and the things I saw there *shudders* no man should read what I have read, it will haunt me forever

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Me either, honestly I've assumed she was either bi or that she and the other Amazonians had a different view of sexual preference than most people

Same, kind of like Herc over at Marvel 
#45 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

@ReVamp: I honestly wouldn't mind one bit if it did turn out to be them, considering their interactions, especially their first one, so far have been pretty sweet (and by that I mean touching, not awesome). of course Rose currently wants to kill Caitlin because of certain circumstances, but I feel like that won't last long and they'll make up... maybe that ends up being the reason why they make up, I don't know.

I think its been hinted at heavily that their relationship was more than Friendship in Legion Lost.

#46 Posted by Dernman (14736 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it's an Earth 2 character. Alan Scott?  No he's already introduced. 

Hawkgirl?

#47 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Ray Palmer has but not Ryan Choi.

Palmer has? Huh. Must've missed it. How about Plastic Man, Red Tornado, Dr. Fate, or Hawkgirl?

#48 Posted by Saren (25280 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote Darkseid.

#49 Posted by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024:

Red Tornado? Isn't he like, y'know, a robot?
BB

#50 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: @ReVamp said:

@Ravager4 said:

I think its been hinted at heavily that their relationship was more than Friendship in Legion Lost.

Yeah, it was pretty blatant... so either it was intentional, or just some really accidentally insinuating dialogue. The problem with this guess, aside from the whole "reintroduction" part of the statement, is that Rose, while she may be my favorite, still isn't quite a big enough name to be "one of the most prominent" gay characters of DC.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.