Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

'DC Super Hero Girls' Launches, a Site Geared Towards Younger, Female Audience

• 83 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Girls now have their very own Super Hero world, DC Super Hero Girls, where they can play, watch, read and be inspired to discover their full super power potential alongside legendary DC Comics female Super Heroes, including Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl, in this all-new universe that was created just for them.

DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Consumer Products, in partnership with Mattel, announced today the activation of many elements to this highly anticipated initiative, including the rollout of the new DCSuperHeroGirls.com website, which kicks off with the U.S. launch today. A global rollout of the digitally immersive world will begin later this month.

Website, Video and More… The new DCSuperHeroGirls.com site today debuts the first webisode, of a series of animated digital shorts, titled “Welcome to Super Hero High” that was created by the award-winning Warner Bros. Animation Studio, in partnership with Mattel’s Playground Productions. Today’s launch features a pantheon of DC Comics characters that have been brought to life in a completely new artistic style and aesthetic, through immersive videos, games, quizzes, character photos, bios and more.

No Caption Provided

In the coming weeks and months the new website will be regularly updated with new animated digital content and previews of upcoming products slated for 2016. In conjunction with the website launch, DC Super Hero Girls will have a dedicated presence across a number of social media platforms, including exclusive DC Super Hero Girls YouTube, Facebook and Instagram accounts, to cater to social media savvy girls and their parents.

“DC Entertainment has a deep and rich roster of strong female characters – both heroes and villains – that have inspired and empowered girls and young women for decades. From the iconic Wonder Woman and Supergirl, to the complex but compelling Harley Quinn and Catwoman, there is a character to whom every girl can relate, no matter what stage of life in which she currently finds herself,” said Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment and President and Chief Content Officer of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “Girls want to experience the strength, action and optimism of Super Heroes too, and DC Super Hero Girls is part of our long-term strategy to offer a diverse array of strong female characters in a fun and action-packed universe, and through a world of epic storytelling on a variety of entertainment platforms. We could not be more excited and proud to debut today’s first phase of the important new universe for girls.”

New York Comic Con

DC Super Hero Girls will take New York Comic Con by storm as girls and their parents, along with all DC Comics fans, attending NYCC October 8-11 will be the first to see elements of the initiative and experience a variety of activities, including a behind-the-scenes panel session, a look at upcoming products and much more. Fans will also get a sneak-peek at Mattel’s upcoming product line, including first-ever 6” action figures designed for girls and 12” scale action dolls featuring strong, athletic bodies that stand on their own in heroic poses.

Activities at NYCC will include a dedicated DC Super Hero Girls booth within the Javits Center’s Crystal Palace, where fans on-site can get a close-up look at the action dolls and a sneak-peek at additional products within the DC Super Hero Girls world. NYCC attendees will also have the opportunity to participate in unique giveaways and photo opportunities. There will be a dedicated panel on Thursday, Oct. 8 at 5:30pm (Room 1B03) where the creative women behind-the-scenes of DC Super Hero Girls will share their vision for the universe. Panelists include:

No Caption Provided

Moderator: Tiffany Smith, DC All Access

· Ashley Eckstein, Voice of DCSHGs’ “Cheetah”

Aria Moffly, DCE Creative Director

Shea Fontana, DCSHG Animation Writer & DC Comics Graphic Novel Author

· Lisa Yee, Random House Children’s Books DCSHGs Middle-Grade Novel Series Author

Christine Kim, Mattel Toy Design Manager

Tania Missad, Mattel Consumer Insights Director

"It is exciting to finally bring DC Super Hero Girls to life with all our partners who have helped create an immersive world based on this groundbreaking franchise that will allow girls and kids to engage and experience this Super Hero universe like never before," said Brad Globe, President, Warner Bros. Consumer Products.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Finaly! A comicbook site for me!

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Cute

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

about time!

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adorable. Wait, didn't Harley Quinn help the Joker torture and murder people? Harley you little rascal you. lol

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gimme, gimme, gimme!

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Harley and Ivy should not be there. :P

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By OmegaHans

Oh brother. We don't have to guess what corporate insiders made these decisions eh?

ZeroSuitUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Katana's design looks good.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

No thanks.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

I approve.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ewww .... No ... Just No.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol to the people saying "eww" and disapproving it. Ya know this is for young girls or girls that just like cute things right?

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Jestersmiles

not bad, it reeks of PR stunt but still not bad I guess.

skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@handofprometheus: I guess everyone here thinks they are the geared "young girls" audience.

Although I wish there were guys in the show(are there?). Have guys but have girls as the lead

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Catty_Spider1

@rag_man: Lol true enough.

But isn't Harley Quinn an Anti-hero rather than a villain now, though I'm still not sure if that's appropriate for young girls.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Actually I'm getting the vibe that the Justice Society, with Superman and most definitely Batman, are the actual ADULT heroes in this universe which I'm fine with... Also DC was practically MADE on improbable and batshit insane ideas like this... I actually watched that intro video and? I find myself intrigued, even wanting to watch more.

Also it's clear the villains are there because they're "Special" and will clearly be the bullies/antagonists of this series.

This entire thing reminds me of Sky High. Anyone remember that movie? I liked it. :|

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get what people's objections are

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too cute for me :(

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure...get little girls to like Harley Quinn and then have all their dreams broken when they read the Teen rated comic.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

wonder woman looks like sailor moon. thats all i gtta say lol

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Doc-Holiday

Primarily the issue is that they're turning famous characters into almost Disney princesses while maintaining the original designs for boys, basically saying everything for girls has to be pretty and Disney-style or else girls wont like it.

It's like making anything for a girl pink, not every girl likes pink but big companies don't care, they just want to apply gender stereotypes to everything

Girls need strong female role models and heroes they can look up to, not ones that paint their nails and worry about boys

They need ones that kick ass

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about Harley and Ivy, but at the same time Tony Stark is scum and marvel has no problem posting him as a hero in the films and cartoons. I do get the feeling that Harley and Ivy are included as a corporate decision, but we'll have to wait and see what they do with them.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

@ostyo said:

Ikr!

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyroid said:

@handofprometheus: I guess everyone here thinks they are the geared "young girls" audience.

Although I wish there were guys in the show(are there?). Have guys but have girls as the lead

I checked out the website for my nieces, and it looks like Hal Jordan and Beast Boy will be around

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mercy_

This is really cute!

akintoussaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amendment50 said:

Primarily the issue is that they're turning famous characters into almost Disney princesses while maintaining the original designs for boys, basically saying everything for girls has to be pretty and Disney-style or else girls wont like it.

It's like making anything for a girl pink, not every girl likes pink but big companies don't care, they just want to apply gender stereotypes to everything

Girls need strong female role models and heroes they can look up to, not ones that paint their nails and worry about boys

Thats a bit unfair. There's noting to suggest there wouldn't be ass kicking so far.Also the boys are in the same art style in the show so...

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 psychos and 2 heroes...nice mix

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_stegman  Moderator

Is it me, or are Supergirl's boobs bigger than Diana's.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Nice.

~MiB

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akintoussaint: Be that as it may, the art style itself is clearly Disney inspired and the site is designed for younger girls, the art style shows that the classic comic art style, according to those who wanted the site made in the first place, cannot appeal to young female readers which isn't fair.

I am not saying different styles aren't needed. They did Lil Gotham, Marvel had Power Pack with more cartoon or anime like style but the problem isn't the style but the reason behind the style

The real problem is these companies have no clue how to reach other demographics outside of teen to adult white males and always make terrible choices when it comes to trying to reach other demographics

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By kcomicfan

it is good that DC are trying to find a way to get girls interested in comic books

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman = Snow White
    Supergirl = Sleeping Beauty
    Katana = Mulan
    Poison Ivy = Merida
    Harley Quinn = Rapunzel
    and uuuuh who is Bumblebee Girl?

davistheasian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akintoussaint: I totally and completely agree with @docholiday. It's annoying that DC feels the need to tone down their characters to reach a female audience. That's why I loved the shows young justice and teen titans (original) so much; they provided badass role models for both boys and girls, and arguably Raven and Starfire could take down the other 3 members of the titans in a fight! Take a look at other superhero TV shows that are marketed towards boys, like the Avengers and Spider-Man cartoons. They stay fairly accurate to the source characters, which is totally how this show should be! (well maybe they'd have to take off harley and ivy then) This show, if DC really wanted to get girls into comics, should've been done in a more Young Justice-esque style of animation, and should've had the heroes going around kicking baddies' teeth in! (which it doesn't look like from the trailer)

marcohtx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By marcohtx

It seems like people only complain whenever a company panders to audiences that aren't white dudes. Why is this even a problem? Its not like they are canceling shows, so that they can do this. Its just a cute way to get girls into superheroes. Who is hurting from this? Besides, I know what kind of toys and clothes I will be buying for my two nieces. One of them actually looks just like Bumblebee, so I know she will get a kick out of this.

omarthmainman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yessss! DC!! Yaaassss!!!

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rag_man said:

Adorable. Wait, didn't Harley Quinn help the Joker torture and murder people? Harley you little rascal you. lol

LOL

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amendment50 said:

Perfectly said.

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cute.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Looks cute, i personally i would love to see rooster being expanded specially there is lot of good female hereos that kids can look up to them like Black Canary, Vixen, Zatanna, Star Girl.

JazzLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My little sister is gonna love this.

akintoussaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akintoussaint: I totally and completely agree with @docholiday. It's annoying that DC feels the need to tone down their characters to reach a female audience. That's why I loved the shows young justice and teen titans (original) so much; they provided badass role models for both boys and girls, and arguably Raven and Starfire could take down the other 3 members of the titans in a fight! Take a look at other superhero TV shows that are marketed towards boys, like the Avengers and Spider-Man cartoons. They stay fairly accurate to the source characters, which is totally how this show should be! (well maybe they'd have to take off harley and ivy then) This show, if DC really wanted to get girls into comics, should've been done in a more Young Justice-esque style of animation, and should've had the heroes going around kicking baddies' teeth in! (which it doesn't look like from the trailer)

The thing is.The cancellation of the mentioned shows prove that Cartoon network doesn't seem to be interested in action orientated shows anymore ,seemly do to the cost that said style.

Again I don't think its fair to say the show will be noting but hairstyle and gossip based on one trailer.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just saw episode 1 it's nice and cool glad there were guys there. I got a dumb smile at the cheesey theme song and it's coll seeing some bad guys there. I was wondering if the principal was vixen.

edit: checked out more of the site it's good. Check it out it's corn and predictable but not offensive. I wouldn't call it a girl site more an all ages site

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
    The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember that awesome Young Justice cartoon? TPTB deduced the show was a failure because those crappy toys didn't sell. A closer look showed more girls were watching than they'd originally predicted and blamed the toys not selling on those numbers. Rather than make more toys with more females, the show was canned and the figures never truly had female representation. Can't remember where I read the article, but it also claimed this was the reason Sym-bionic Titan didn't get another season as well. More to do with merchandising and toys than actual shows people care about...

~KL~

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.dcsuperherogirls.com/en-us/games/flightschool

check out the flight game on the sit it's really cool

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@rag_man said:

LOL

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davistheasian: I agree, Young Justice and Teen Titans had age and character design to reach younger audiences and showed female roles in strong and often lead positions that matched numerous male characters and counter parts. Wonder Girl and Bat girl took on Lobo, head to head and survived, considering Lobo could beat up Superman, that is a big deal.

I think if DC and Marvel actually cared about reaching younger more diverse audiences they should try and actually find girls who grew up reading comics and ask them what they would want.

The sad thing is, DC and Marvel aren't the only ones to do this. Lego did as well, making Lego for girls but instead of simply designing more female lego characters they re-designed them, made shopping malls and hair salons and essentially made lego into barbie; which reinforces stereotypes that simply do not fit numerous members of the young female demographic.

Target removed gender labels from their toy department for a reason, because kids will pick what they like and telling them "No...you can't play with that, it's for ____ gender" will just confuse or upset them.

I like female heroes, I read the new Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, I have numerous Wonder Woman and She-Hulk comics (where they are individuals and kick ass, Wonder Woman totally takes down Captain Nazi in one comic and it was awesome) and I am a guy, does that mean something is wrong with me? No, it means I like female heroes and why not? Numerous female heroes are just as powerful or more so than male heroes and they can kick just as much butt without needing to worry about their clothes getting dirty or messing up their hair.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks flipping adorable. I'm pretty excited. I think this is a great way to try and get young girls into comics. I watched the first video myself and found it pretty cute and will probably continue to watch it, and I would've absolutely loooved it as a kid. It's about time they start making some comic stuff with a girl audience in mind.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akintoussaint: I can see where you're coming from, it's more the character design that bothers me. Katana basically looks like Mulan and giving them a Disney princess look, even if it's all purely for the sake of design, is still fairly annoying.

Young girls should be allowed to make their own decisions. There was a similar issue with video games and people fighting over female characters being made into leads and not being overtly sexual, a study found that less 50% of gamers care if they play a female character and even less care if they're sexy.

My main point is the old stereotypes need to be thrown away and strong role models that already exist simply need to be enforced and supported for demographics. Wonder Woman is a perfect pick, she came out early on during the age of comic books but has stayed strong, she is powerful, intelligent and often shown being independent and like few heroes, she does not have a male counterpart in the DC Universe who came before her (at least not to the best of my knowledge), unlike Supergirl or Batgirl.

The same should be said for black characters and those of other ethnic and any other type of background, there are numerous famous black heroes who are simply not supported very well, especially by DC and Marvel. Image has no problem though, Spawn is their poster boy and he is black and he got a movie one year before Blade, a marvel black super hero (who got two sequels).

I understand the financial worries, DC and Marvel are terrified of losing money (despite their less than stellar work with movies like Fantastic Four and Green Lantern) and their biggest money makers are Superman, Batman and Spiderman, the three together are worth billions and it's sad to say but they simply out rank all other characters in importance, especially when it comes to merchandise sales. Just think about how often you see Spiderman, Batman and Superman t-shirts when you go anywhere and that should be a sign as to why those 3 are so valuable.

It is a risk vs reward scenario where the people in charge need to take some risks for a greater reward if they want to expand the number of readers they have and vary their demographics in a way that doesn't enforce stereotypes or alienate existing readers.

LiamDaniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: must have put supergirl and power girl in one character

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.