mr terrific

barry allen

ted kord

Luthor

Brainiac (is he people?)

martian manhunter

If it's 5 then yea and he would be #1
#5 Posted by vacseen (9 posts) - - Show Bio

What about T.O. Morrow and Sivana. Maybe 9 and 10?

#6 Posted by vacseen (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Almost forgot Doc Magnus and Ray Palmer are two really smart guys to.

#7 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

Everybody I thought of has been mentioned except The Chief, Niles Caulder.

#8 Posted by Mina319 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Cant forget slade wilson :)

#9 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mina319: But does strategic genius count? because if it does a few more members of the Bat family should be mentioned

#10 Posted by Poontanglife (66 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

Lex Luthor

Mr. Terrific

Toyman

Ra's Al Ghul

Vandal Savage

Oracle

Ultra Humanite

Professor Ivo

Ted Kord

The Atom

#11 Posted by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

Who all were at the mad scientist camp in 52? That'd be a good place to start.

#12 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

gotta love how people acknowledge mr terrific's thirdness

#13 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12660 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps: That's because that's ALL he talks about. Haha.

#14 Posted by BigCimmerian (8866 posts) - - Show Bio

My list

1. Lex Luthor

2. Bruce Wayne

3. Mister Terrific

4. Blue Beetle

5. Tim Drake

6. John Henry Irons

7. Riddler

8. Professor Ivo

#15 Edited by Onemoreposter (4101 posts) - - Show Bio

I see alot of people making these lists like Tim Drake, Barry, Ras, Savage, and Riddle that just makes me go wtf? These people are intelligent but definitely not the top genius scientific minds in the DCU.

My 8:

1 Luthor

2 Morrow

3 Holt

4 Ivo

5 Magnus

6 Palmer

7 Sivanna

8 Ultra-Humanite (He's only so low because he's been monkeying around too much in recent years [pun intended])

But Irons, Toyman2, and Cold( you think absolute zero is easy?) could all be up there as well

As far as scientific genius those guys are all vying for spots in the top 8. Batman is incredibly smart/strategic/ect. but THE TOP of the scientific community? Just depends on the writer that week.

Edit: Is that marvel's official list? How the hell are stark and banner above pym

#16 Posted by BigCimmerian (8866 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

I see alot of people making these lists like Tim Drake, Barry, Ras, Savage, and Riddle that just makes me go wtf? These people are intelligent but definitely not the top genius scientific minds in the DCU.

My 8:

1 Luthor

2 Morrow

3 Holt

4 Ivo

5 Magnus

6 Palmer

7 Sivanna

8 Ultra-Humanite (He's only so low because he's been monkeying around too much in recent years [pun intended])

But Irons, Toyman2, and Cold( you think absolute zero is easy?) could all be up there as well

As far as scientific genius those guys are all vying for spots in the top 8. Batman is incredibly smart/strategic/ect. but THE TOP of the scientific community? Just depends on the writer that week.

Edit: Is that marvel's official list? How the hell are stark and banner above pym

Well Reed, Doom and Stark are officially top 3, Amadeus is said to be 7nth smartest and T'Chala is 8. as for 4, 5 and 6 it was my opinion.

#17 Posted by Poontanglife (66 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter: No one ever said ''scientific''

#18 Posted by BigCimmerian (8866 posts) - - Show Bio

@Poontanglife said:

@Onemoreposter: No one ever said ''scientific''

#19 Posted by Onemoreposter (4101 posts) - - Show Bio

True. Want to argue semantics then? How are we going to define "smartest"? Who's amassed the most knowledge? Who's amassed the greatest variety of knowledge? Who has the highest IQ? Do we believe in Gardeners theory of multiple intelligences? If so would someone with a higher average intelligence be smarter than someone with one or two really high scores? Vice Versa? Websters defines smart as "having or showing a quit witted intelligence. Can you have a high level of intelligence and not be quick witted about it? If you have a quick wit and rather low intelligence does that make you "smarter" than the slow witted guy with high intelligence?

Getting my point? Obviously we're not just talking about who's the wittiest here. Otherwise deadpool would be at the top of Marvel's list. If we're going to choose the "smartest" earthlings( i consider "people" to refer to earthlings) from a respective universe then you have to have some reason for their ranking other than "omg dey so smawt." I think a persons level of scientific aptitude and achievement are absolutely a satisfactory conditions by which to measure their "smartness."

You are right though, "No one ever said scientific." I'm sure your criteria and reasoning is far more sound.

#20 Posted by BigCimmerian (8866 posts) - - Show Bio

How would you rate Bane? would you rate him in top 20 or even in top 10? It is said many times that he is genius in many fields and Ra's Al Ghul said that he has one of the greatest minds he knows.

#21 Posted by Video_Martian (5562 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

Batman

Lex Luthor

Mr. Terrific

are probably the top 3

#22 Posted by RandomThang (53 posts) - - Show Bio

@BigCimmerian said:

How would you rate Bane? would you rate him in top 20 or even in top 10? It is said many times that he is genius in many fields and Ra's Al Ghul said that he has one of the greatest minds he knows.

I always admired Batman's villains to in terms of intelligence, I think Riddler should be included if this is "who have the highest IQ", and he is one of the few who have Batman's identity.

I suppose Lurthor could be more intelligent than Batman in fields of science or engineering, maybe... But in terms of psychology or forensic science, logic and problem solving, fluid intelligence, master of disguise, escapologist, vast knowledge in martial arts and fighting techniques concerning the human anatomy etc

I really think Bruce Wayne covers a wider range of knowledge, but maybe in certain fields he wouldn't be as good as others that are specifically on that field, maybe... : )

And how about the awesome BrotherEye?

#23 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

Batman

Lex Luthor

Mr. Terrific

are probably the top 3

#24 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Batman is said to be the #1smartest man in DC comics, but I really think it should be Mr. Terrific. He has a natural aptitude for everything and has gotten several degrees and doctorates and what not and invented several things. I like Batman being smart and a natural for everything too, but I still think that Holt should just be smarter (being more of a scientist like Reed Richards than Batman).

#25 Edited by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why some people have questioned Batman on the list. He's repeatedly referred to left and right as being one of the smartest men in the world. But outside of him, and people like Mr. Terrific and Luthor (who most have in the top 3), I think it is up for debate. Those names seem to always come up, but other ones are up for debate. Some geniuses like Ivo, Morrow, and Sivana could possibly be marked down because of their narrow focus. Sure, they're super intelligent, but they have little to show for it. Other characters like Oracle and Drake are very intelligent overall, but also have something of a specialty (Oracle being technology, Drake being detective work, possibly second to Batman). However, I would not include either of them in the list of the most intelligent characters. Also, of course, we have the issue of inconsistent intelligence. I think the best example here is Superman. I don't think Superman started off as being classed as super intelligent (informed, sure, but not super intelligent), but that has seemingly been handled differently depending on the writer, with some making him insanely intelligent.

Finally, we need to address who is qualified to be on the list. All of the ones listed by Marvel are human (or mutant). Earth has a lot of Intelligent characters who are not human, or whose humanity is very questionable due to origin or species. I rather agree with the person who said that we should consider "Earthlings" as the people to look at here, thereby including aliens and other species. I would not, however, include aliens who are generally not from or around Earth (Where would the Guardians of the Universe fall in intelligence?), or other wordly/magical/godlike beings (so not Dr. Fate, though the people who took up the mantle could be considered). But, after all that tl;dr, I'll end the cop out and list my 8. I may well be less versed in most characters than some people on here, but I think most of these people could be argued as making the cut.

Batman

Luthor

Mr. Terrific

Ray Palmer

Grodd (Seriously surprised as his lack of mention. Guessing it's because he's not human, or his intelligence can be overwhelmed by his savage nature)

Martian Manhunter

TO Morrow (gotta have one of those guys represented on the list, right?)

Vandal Savage (Yeah, his name isn't the most common to come up, but something has to be said for having the experience of 50,000 years. He clearly has a vast knowledge of most topics, and was personally around for ALL of the biggest breakthroughs in human history, and it seems largely implied that he doesn't forget much of his history besides trivial details like names of henchmen. Overall, I certainly think that grants him a place on the list.)

#26 Edited by tuananhxu99001 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

ozymandias and joker should be on the list

#27 Posted by Onemoreposter (4101 posts) - - Show Bio

@BigCimmerian: If Pym is number 5 I think that's egregious. I always rather liked the idea of him being Scientist Supreme despite the ambiguous nature of the circumstances around Pym being deemed such.

As for the top 8 (humans) at DC, in (very rough) order, how I see it is

T. O. Morrow

Will Magnus

Lex Luthor

Professor Ivo

Emil Hamilton

Bruce Wayne

Ted Knight

Winslow Schott. (Wildly overlooked, this guy has been around about as long as Superman, and has given many incarnations of the man of steel a run for their money)

#28 Posted by mrtrickster (2297 posts) - - Show Bio

Brainiac 5

everybody else

#29 Posted by MonsterStomp (20532 posts) - - Show Bio

@serpent222 said:

I don't know why some people have questioned Batman on the list. He's repeatedly referred to left and right as being one of the smartest men in the world. But outside of him, and people like Mr. Terrific and Luthor (who most have in the top 3), I think it is up for debate. Those names seem to always come up, but other ones are up for debate. Some geniuses like Ivo, Morrow, and Sivana could possibly be marked down because of their narrow focus. Sure, they're super intelligent, but they have little to show for it. Other characters like Oracle and Drake are very intelligent overall, but also have something of a specialty (Oracle being technology, Drake being detective work, possibly second to Batman). However, I would not include either of them in the list of the most intelligent characters. Also, of course, we have the issue of inconsistent intelligence. I think the best example here is Superman. I don't think Superman started off as being classed as super intelligent (informed, sure, but not super intelligent), but that has seemingly been handled differently depending on the writer, with some making him insanely intelligent.

Finally, we need to address who is qualified to be on the list. All of the ones listed by Marvel are human (or mutant). Earth has a lot of Intelligent characters who are not human, or whose humanity is very questionable due to origin or species. I rather agree with the person who said that we should consider "Earthlings" as the people to look at here, thereby including aliens and other species. I would not, however, include aliens who are generally not from or around Earth (Where would the Guardians of the Universe fall in intelligence?), or other wordly/magical/godlike beings (so not Dr. Fate, though the people who took up the mantle could be considered). But, after all that tl;dr, I'll end the cop out and list my 8. I may well be less versed in most characters than some people on here, but I think most of these people could be argued as making the cut.

Batman

Luthor

Mr. Terrific

Ray Palmer

Grodd (Seriously surprised as his lack of mention. Guessing it's because he's not human, or his intelligence can be overwhelmed by his savage nature)

Martian Manhunter

TO Morrow (gotta have one of those guys represented on the list, right?)

Vandal Savage (Yeah, his name isn't the most common to come up, but something has to be said for having the experience of 50,000 years. He clearly has a vast knowledge of most topics, and was personally around for ALL of the biggest breakthroughs in human history, and it seems largely implied that he doesn't forget much of his history besides trivial details like names of henchmen. Overall, I certainly think that grants him a place on the list.)

I also consider Batman to be one of the smartest "all round" type of guy, which puts him at number 1.

I'd say Michael Holt is smarter then Luthor though, just because of the fact that he has 14 PH.D's (If I'm not mistaken)

I also agree with TO Morrow being on the list. Robotic engineering. Oh the things you could invent!

#30 Edited by HolySerpent (12819 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why people are saying batman is smarter the Lex Luther because he's not.

#31 Edited by Doctorholmes241 (71 posts) - - Show Bio

In no order

Batman

Lex Luthor

Micheal Holt

Prof. ivo

TO morrow

Vandal savage

Braniac (does he count?)

Steel

#32 Edited by herrweis (437 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigcimmerian: I would say

Ray Palmer

Lex Luthor

Michael Holt

Will Magnus

Thaddeus Sivanna

T.O. Morrow

Ivo

Brainiac 5

#33 Edited by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

Brainiac, Lex Luthor.

#34 Edited by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

@poontanglife said:

Batman

Lex Luthor

Mr. Terrific

Ra's Al Ghul

Professor Ivo

Ted Kord

The Atom

This ^ along with Braniac. Nice list.

Z I J U U N

#35 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1313 posts) - - Show Bio

Brainiacs

Darkseid

Guardians of Oa

Luthor

Bruce Wayne

Mr.Terrific

#36 Edited by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. Terrific. It's hard to argue his intelligence when he barely has any panel time. Unless... he's secretly controlling everything in the DCU! OMG!!!

#38 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

Question for everyone on this thread - if Superman is considered by Lex Luthor to be his mental equal - why isn't Superman considered on any of these lists?

#39 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

In my very very honest opinion, John Constantine is the smartest human being in comicdom. So he's definently up there.

Other than him, in no praticular order, there are Bruce Wayne, Slade Wilson, Lex Luthor, Adrian Veidt, Ted Kord, Ra's al-Ghul, Bane, The Question, John Henry Irons, Professor Ivo, Professor Morrow, Mr. Terrific, and, well... these are the only ones that pop into my head at the moment.

#40 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

In no order

Batman

Cyborg

Martian Manhunter

Brainiac

Lex Luthor

Bane

Mr Terrific

#41 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2273 posts) - - Show Bio

@supernategames said:

In no order

Batman

Cyborg

Martian Manhunter

Brainiac

Lex Luthor

Bane

Mr Terrific

I don't think Cyborg or Bane should be.

#42 Posted by Saren (25117 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborg, Bane and Tim Drake shouldn't make it to the list. I don't know where people get this idea that Cyborg is some kind of Ivo-level supergenius; he has access to vast amounts of information because he's a living computer, doesn't make him a genius. Bane and Drake are geniuses, but I wouldn't put them on par with the likes of Lex, Bruce or Terrific.

#43 Posted by TDK_1997 (15093 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex,Batman and Mr. Terrific are the top 3 of DC.

#44 Posted by Joygirl (19954 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex, Batman, Riddler, Joker, Deathstroke, T.O. Morrow, Mr. Terrific, Bane.

#45 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2273 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborg, Bane and Tim Drake shouldn't make it to the list. I don't know where people get this idea that Cyborg is some kind of Ivo-level supergenius; he has access to vast amounts of information because he's a living computer, doesn't make him a genius. Bane and Drake are geniuses, but I wouldn't put them on par with the likes of Lex, Bruce or Terrific.

Tim is arguably a better detective than Bruce, uncovering the true identities of Batman and Robin (Dick) at the age of 9.

#48 Posted by Saren (25117 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane said:

Tim is arguably a better detective than Bruce, uncovering the true identities of Batman and Robin (Dick) at the age of 9.

He lucked into it as per his own admission, and his reasoning was ludicrously bad if they wanted to make it seem halfway plausible. He saw Robin do a trick that he'd seen Dick do as part of the Flying Graysons; therefore Robin was obviously Dick Grayson. The idea that someone else might be capable of the same trick never even crossed his mind. Then he found out that Dick was Bruce's ward, therefore Bruce must obviously be Batman since Dick is obviously Robin.

#49 Posted by Black_Arrow (3971 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

@the_red_viper said:

@citizenbane said:

He lucked into it as per his own admission, and his reasoning was ludicrously bad if they wanted to make it seem halfway plausible. He saw Robin do a trick that he'd seen Dick do as part of the Flying Graysons; therefore Robin was obviously Dick Grayson. The idea that someone else might be capable of the same trick never even crossed his mind. Then he found out that Dick was Bruce's ward, therefore Bruce must obviously be Batman since Dick is obviously Robin.

Actually the ringmaster of the circus said that Dick was one of 4 persons on the world who could do that trick.

#50 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (12082 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex is the only one I care about

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.