Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DC Reveals Two More "Digital First" Titles

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

DC Comics already started to make moves to expand their digital comics influence beyond their "same day digital" releases of their books by publishing several "digital first weekly titles." These new books will be made available digitally first on a weekly basis. Currently, DC has BATMAN: ARKHAM UNHINGED, SMALLVILLE SEASON 11 and BEYOND (including JUSTICE LEAGUE BEYOND, BATMAN BEYOND, and SUPERMAN BEYOND). Now DC has added two more digital first titles to this new lineup; BATMAN digital and AME-COMI GIRLS. With these two new titles, digital first books will be available every day, Monday through Friday.

AME-COMI GIRLS cover by Amanda Conner
    AME-COMI GIRLS cover by Amanda Conner

The first of the two series to be made available digitally daily will be AME-COMI GIRLS, a new series based on DC's "best selling product line from DC collectibles." The figurine line is inspired by Japanese anime. If you've ever wanted to see an anime-inspired Catwoman or Batgirl, then there's a good chance we'll be seeing that starting next month. BATMAN digital, on the other hand, will launch sometime this June. Both series will take place outside of the current DC Universe and will feature some of the biggest talents in the industry including Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Ben Templesmith, Joshua Hale Fialkov and many more.

== TEASER ==
    BATMAN digital, launching in June, will take place outside of DC Comics - The New 52 continuity and feature a series of stand-alone stories by various creators that chronicle different cases handled by The Dark Knight. Confirmed creative teams include Damon Lindelof and Jeff Lemire; Jonathan Larsen and JG Jones; Tom Taylor and Nicola Scott; Ales Kot and Ryan Sook; B. Clay Moore and Ben Templesmith; Steve Niles and Trevor Hairsine; Joe Harris and Jason Masters; TJ Fixman and Christopher Mitten; Jeff Parker and Gabriel Hardman;Joshua Hale Fialkov and Phil Hester; David Tischman and Chris Sprouse; and many more!

AME-COMI GIRLS, launching in May, is based on the best-selling product line from DC Collectibles that brings the distinct Japanese influence of anime and manga to DC Comics' female heroines and their foes. In the new series, the heroines must unite to stop an invasion by the female Brainiac, who is aided by a group of "bad girl" super villains. Initially, there will be five individual character arcs with multiple chapters, leading up to united, Ame-Comi girl series. All stories are written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray with Wonder Woman art by Amanda Conner and Tony Akins, Batgirl art by Sanford Greene, Duela Dent art by Ted Naifeh, Power Girl art by Mike Bowden and Supergirl art by Santi Casas.

Starting in June, DC Comics' weekly digital comic book line-up will be:
    Mondays: AME-COMI GIRLS
    Tuesdays: BATMAN: ARKHAM UNHINGED
    Wednesdays: BEYOND series (alternating digital titles JUSTICE LEAGUE BEYOND, BATMAN BEYOND, SUPERMAN BEYOND)
    Thursdays: BATMAN digital
    Fridays: SMALLVILLE SEASON 11

What do you think of DC's plan to release a digital story each day of the week? Which of these series are you most looking forward to? Will you be reading any of these "digital first" titles?

BATMAN digital cover by Ben Templesmith
    BATMAN digital cover by Ben Templesmith

Source: DC

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Silkcuts

I am going to miss print... it is dying right in front of me.

Skies327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Skies327

I may have missed the announcement on this, but where/how will be able to get these titles?

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By TheOptimist

I'm down for these. Granted, mostly I'll be waiting until they make their print run since I'm going to be grabbing them there anyways... but I might actually sucker myself into buying one or two of these digital. Lindelof and Lemire? Really, say no more. Also JEFFPARKER?!?WHAT?!?! I missed that somehow in the first reading... must be all those names. I sorta skimmed them last time but JEFFPARKER yes. YES. I'm so glad that he is going to dabble even a touch of DC work. That was on my wish list only a few months ago (no really, check it was!).

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By Fhiz

@Skies327: through comixology

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheOptimist

@Fhiz said:

@Skies327: through comixology

Unless you're on a Kindle device. GRR.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By doordoor123

OMFG. I don't buy digital comics but I buy everything Amanda Conner does. Will it be printed?

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By Fhiz

@TheOptimist: I believe you can buy the comics through comixology's website, and then sync them tot he kindle app. Not entirely sure on that one.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#8  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

ohhh Ame-Comi Girls coolies :D

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zackattack529

booooo

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheOptimist

@Fhiz: Frustratingly, even that won't work anymore... even the ones that I bought during the 3 month period when it still allowed functioning DC purposes have now been removed from my device, courtesy of a mandatory "update" which can no longer be accessed.

However, the good news is that I'm more than willing to view these titles digitally via my computer anyways.

@doordoor123 said:

OMFG. I don't buy digital comics but I buy everything Amanda Conner does. Will it be printed?

Presumably yes. Presumably in the same format that Batman Beyond Unlimited and Arkham Unhinged have been published so far (along with Smallville Season 11, upcoming).

cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cagedleo730

@Fhiz: You are correct. As a kindle Fire owner, the few digital comics I've bought were through a DCBS comixology portal. I was able to sync it to the Kindle easy peezy. You just go to my purchases and download.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I thought Smallville was already coming out weekly?

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Icon

So far I like Smallville Season 11, Superman Beyond, Batman Beyond, and will also check out Justice League Beyond.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#14  Edited By The Impersonator
    No Caption Provided
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Adnan
    'Digital first' does imply that it'll be released in print form later, guys...

Anyways, the standalone Batman title sounds interesting. I'm not gonna spend $3 on a digital single issue though, perhaps if there wasn't an LCS near me I would but that ain't the case. Until there is a substantial enough price drop (would $2 be reasonable? I acknowledge the people working on the comic have gotta eat), I'll stick to printed singles for now.
    feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By feargalr

I don't understand the dislike toward this. IMO anything that keeps the comic book industry thriving is good as far as I'm concerned

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By BatteredArmor

Oh joy more Batman........

VanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By VanAce

Digital first comics are usually trying to grab a different audience than that of the direct market, usually they are titles that will appeal to different people. Just like news stand ended up doing.

I see DC are trying to convert a few anime/manga fans with Ame-Comi Girls which can't be bad really. What ever expands the market.

Batman Digital is a good idea in that it is self contained stories which means they can be easily picked up on an impulse without bogged down with continuity. Also it will attract new readers that might have only seen the Batman movies.

@Silkcuts said:

I am going to miss print... it is dying right in front of me.

I don't think so. The print market is actually healthier than it was last year.

@doordoor123 said:

I assume so, all there other digital first stuff is. I think they collect a months worth all together

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By RedOwl_1

Look! Other Batman comic!!!

As far as isn't lame...........

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Video_Martian

I don't give a $#*% about this...

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

:/ Not too thrilled about Superman Beyond being a part of this whole thing, otherwise it seems like a good idea.

webling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By webling

@haydenclaireheroes said:

I thought Smallville was already coming out weekly?

It is on Fridays, they were just saying there is a comic released digitally every day M-F.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By NightFang3

So much negativity.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lykopis

This is inevitable. I prefer tactile reading but having said that --- I have a lot of comics in digital form. No point in fighting it and if it keeps the industry relevant and alive, I am all for it.

These look interesting.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By feebadger

@lykopis said:

This is inevitable. I prefer tactile reading but having said that --- I have a lot of comics in digital form. No point in fighting it and if it keeps the industry relevant and alive, I am all for it.

These look interesting.

Couldn't add another word.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By Silkcuts
    @VanAce: I stopped looking at sales when Vertigo kept cutting my books :(
    But glad people are still buying print
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kidchipotle

@BlackArmor said:

Oh joy more Batman........

Hey! This one doesn't count since it's a parallel universe batman!!1!! :P

wolfmangideon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wolfmangideon

Sadly, this is the next step. First it was digital's very existence. Next it was day-and-date. Now it's digital first.

I really wish there was some way to go back in time and prevent digital comics from ever existing.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#29  Edited By Outside_85

Like readers needed more Batman coming out of their ears...

Intrigued by the Ame-Come Girls.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Video_Martian

I hate DC.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By KidSupreme

I buying this :D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.