DC Revamp: DC Announces Seven Titles With a Harder Edge Including Deathstroke and Grifter

• 156 results
Posted by G-Man (35122 posts) - - Show Bio
Deathstroke #1

Time for a daily dose of new DC Comics revamp #1s via DC's The Source. These comics will have a harder edge, meaning, these characters are not your typical heroes.

Deathstroke #1 is one I am excited for (and so I'm choosing to mention it first). Deathstroke will reclaim his fearsome legacy by any means necessary. Written by rising star Kyle Higgins (heck yeah!) and artists Joe Bennett and Art Thibert.

Stormwatch #1 will have a dangerous super human strike force whose existence is kept secret from the world. Who is on this team? The cover is below but the team will be lead by Jack Hawksmoor and he wants to recruit two of the deadliest super humans on the planet: Midnighter and Apollo. If they say no, perhaps Martian Manhunter can help to change their minds. Stormwatch will be written by Paul Cornell with art by Miguel Sepulveda.

Blackhawks #1 will feature an elite group of mercenaries made up of brave men from around the world equipped with the latest in cutting-edge hardware and vehicles. Their mission is a simple one: kill the bad guys before they kill us. It will be written by Mike Costa with art by Ken Lashley.

Time to visit the past with an update of Sgt. Rock and the Men of War #1. The grandson of the original Sgt. Rock assumes command of Easy Company, a team of crack ex-miliatry men finance by a covert military contractor. They will brave the battle-scarred landscape carved by the DC Universe's super-villains. Sgt. Rock will be written by Ivan Brandon and illustrated by Tom Derenick.

What about Jonah Hex? There won't be a Jonah Hex comic anymore. What?!? That's right. Going back to Gotham City when it was just a one-horse town, crime is running wild as you would expect. Things don't get better when bounty Hunter Jonah Hex comes to town. Amadeus Arkham, a pioneer in criminal psychology, tries to enlist Hex to help the Gotham City Police Department track down a serial killer. Back up stories will star DC's other western heroes. All-Star Western #1 will be written by the fan-favorite Jonah Hex team of Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray. Art will be by Moritat.

Grifter #1 will feature ex-black ops agent Cole Cash who is about to be branded as a serial killer when he begins hunting and exterminating inhuman creatures hidden in human form. These are creatures that only he can see. We'll have to see if he can sweet talk his way out of this mess. Written by Nathan Edmondson with art by CAFU and BIT.

Finally in OMAC #1, a man loses control of his life as the omnipresent Brother Eye transforms him against his will into a powerful killing machine. Written by DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio and co-written and illustrated by Keith Giffen and Scott Koblish.

Here's the rest of the artwork.

== TEASER ==

What do you think of this round of announcements?

Stormwatch #1
Blackhawks #1
Sgt. Rock and the Men of War #1
All-Star Western #1
Grifter #1
OMAC #1

We've almost reached all 52 new #1s.

Staff
#1 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

omac seems cool 
who has the deadpool mask?
#2 Edited by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio

Very excited for Deathstroke and All-Star Western! Stormwatch could be interesting, but I want to know more about it. Seems kind of weird that that's where the Manhunter landed in all this. 

Not so sure about the whole Sgt. Rock thing -- looks very Call of Duty to me. 

And, again, I say this with the utmost excitement: some of these covers are really throwing me back to the 90s. Grifter and Blackhawks in particular...

#3 Posted by HubrisRanger (144 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad that they've commissioned a Western title and I'm not all that familiar with Grifter, but that book sounds kinda cool. Kinda surprised to see the Stormwatch/Authority stuff brought into the main DCU, curious to see how much is scaled back and toned down. Also wanna see what distinguishes Blackhawks from Sgt. Rock, because right now, it just looks like Blackhawks is just more ridiculous and has more hip tattoos.

#4 Posted by Unwritten Duck (110 posts) - - Show Bio
@pspin: That's Grifter I think.
#5 Posted by G-Man (35122 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard about one of the back ups in All-Star Western and I'm pretty dang excited.

Staff
#6 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: If you say Bat Lash I may just die!!!

#7 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

whoa, new grifter? I can't wait

#8 Posted by spaceboy (201 posts) - - Show Bio
Cliff notes on Grifter: 
Con man turned secret agent, turned superhero.
Likes cigarettes,alcohol and women. And guns. 
lots of them.
#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

MM on Stormwatch is different. 

From this I'll be picking up Deathstroke and Stormwatch. Maybe Grifter. The rest are meh.

#10 Posted by BurnSide (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Grifter and deathstroke look pretty good. The only reason i'd pick up blackhawks is because there's a ginger character with huge sideburns in it...
#11 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@HubrisRanger said:

Glad that they've commissioned a Western title and I'm not all that familiar with Grifter, but that book sounds kinda cool. Kinda surprised to see the Stormwatch/Authority stuff brought into the main DCU, curious to see how much is scaled back and toned down. Also wanna see what distinguishes Blackhawks from Sgt. Rock, because right now, it just looks like Blackhawks is just more ridiculous and has more hip tattoos.

I think Blackhawks are more of a SHIELD mercenary kind of book and Sgt, Rock is more of a war story.

These books are really reaching out to a broad audience.
#12 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:

I've heard about one of the back ups in All-Star Western and I'm pretty dang excited.

Oh man... Is that Darwyn Cooke's Vigilante that you speak of?
#13 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, they brought Grifter into the main DC Universe?  That's... interesting I suppose? 
Looks like Deathstroke stole Batman's wrist and leg spikes.  Not sure I'm a huge fan of his redesign, but I'll reserve judgement for the inside artwork. 
Black Hawks looks like it could be a fun, GI Joe-esque series.

#14 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess new deathstroke looks decent, and maybe Sgt. Rock but these all kinda look like filler.
#15 Posted by HubrisRanger (144 posts) - - Show Bio

Just noticed DiDio is writing that OMAC book. Must be his own pet project.

#16 Edited by NightFang (10079 posts) - - Show Bio
@pspin said:

OMAC seems cool. Who has the deadpool mask?

That Deathstroke, the guy Deadpool rip-off or do you mean Grifter?
#17 Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi! (27638 posts) - - Show Bio

damn...i gotta say, these all sound pretty damn cool...  

not a huge fan of any of the redesigns pictured here but the titles sound solid..

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (14902 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing titles
#19 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

Grifter!? woooooo!

#20 Posted by roboticjesus (71 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Wildstorm was closed, its nice to see some of their characters being brought into the revamped DC Universe. Seeing Martian Manhunter in Stormwatch in Stormwatch will be interesting.

#21 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
@pspin said:
OMAC seems cool. Who has the deadpool mask?
That Deathstroke, the guy Deadpool rip-off or do you Grifter?
what?
#22 Posted by TheMadMonkey (148 posts) - - Show Bio

It both amazes and sickens me at how much today's (so-called) comic fans know about the hobby they've chosen to participate in. 
"Deadpool mask"?!  Really?!  I fear more than ever for the future of our planet with blatantly ignorant comments like that. 
Deathstroke...ugh.  Let's return to Vince Giarrano's 90s Batman look, shall we? 
Hey!  While we're at it, let's bring back Rob Liefeld to draw/ruin another Hawk & Dove series. 
I always love me some Giffen...but...wth is up with OMAC?  Also...does Didio really have to be involved? 
All the rest are just...meh...at best. 
I will give TPTB credit for attempting to keep the Wildstorm characters around.  It's a lot better than what they've done for Milestone, Pulps, Archie, and T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents. 
I'm just...sigh...just so disappointed...

#23 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMadMonkey said:
"Deadpool mask"?!  Really?!  I fear more than ever for the future of our planet with blatantly ignorant comments like that.
QFT! 

btw Look at NightFang's reply, it's even worst.
#24 Edited by GreenArrow789 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually really excited about Deathstoke and All-Star Western. It's kinda interesting that DiDio is going to be writing OMAC. But here's my question what about the Superman titles.

#25 Posted by thecheckeredman (398 posts) - - Show Bio

Egad...

#26 Posted by YoungFrey (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still more interested in which existing titles aren't coming back.  I need my Secret Six.
#27 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

wait, Deathstroke appears to have scalloped gauntlets, but Batman doesn't?!

#28 Posted by Sekele (276 posts) - - Show Bio
@pspin:  
you mean Grifter? 
#29 Posted by SupremoMaximo (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Grifter is still wearing Zealot's underwear on his face.

#30 Posted by tiger26 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

mm on storm watch epic and blackhawks and deathstroke gets a new book awsome thank u for not puting strom watch in limbo wonder if some members of wildcats will be in it too
#31 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio
@SupremoMaximo: Goddamnit, you ruined the cover for me ;_;
#32 Posted by The Ghost Writer (85 posts) - - Show Bio

The reboot's starting to look more and more interesting now. I'll definitely be picking up Deathstroke, Blackhawks, and Grifter (even if I don't really know that much about him), and I'll have to wait and see how All-Star Western pans out. 

All in all though, I have to say this reboot is looking to be a very interesting, and worthwhile venture for DC Comics. I hope it all works out in their favor, and really hope that we don't lose some of our favorite titles in the wake of it.
#33 Posted by Iridium (134 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope with Stormwatch #1 they bring back Battalion ... I always liked his character ...

#34 Posted by longbowhunter (7130 posts) - - Show Bio
@YoungFrey said:
I'm still more interested in which existing titles aren't coming back.  I need my Secret Six.

This is true. 

I am glad to see Jonah Hex wont be disappearing. All-Star Western sounds great.
#35 Posted by GLCorps2814 (23 posts) - - Show Bio

Feeling very relieved that they kept some form of a Jonah Hex title, even if its not got his name on it, I like the title being All Star Western just as well, I'm a sucker for wild west stuff

#36 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

So maybe it's not the last I've heard of Lady Blackhawk. I might check out Blackhawk if she's in it since apparently she's not in Birds of Prey.

#37 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio

More pass. This leaves what, Superman, Action Comics and 4 more to be announced?

#38 Posted by U R Sofa King We Todd Did (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate what they did to midnighter. He had the type of costume that fit his personality and reputation perfectly and now he looks like he's wearing something they would have drawn in the 80's if drawing an alien. Speaking of the 80's; deathstroke. Wow. His costume seemed gaudy before flashpoint but given his reputation and overall badassery he made it not only awesome but way more savage than a orange/blue suit with chain mail should look. Now it is just awful, i'll read it because it is deathstroke but I am not excited. At first DC had me pretty excited about the revamp but as they keep releasing pictures I get less and less excited(particularly Teen Titans).

#39 Posted by ironshadow (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like OMAC, Grifter, SGT Rock and maybe even Deathstroke should be on The Blackhawks, I think they would make a cool team or maybe Deathstroke could be part of The Outlaws.

#40 Posted by Outside_85 (9216 posts) - - Show Bio

52 titles and so far only 2 thats caught my interest.
#41 Edited by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

I do think I'll check out the Jonah Hex one.

I don't know who Grifter is, but he reminds me of the groan-worthy early Image stuff from Leifeild and friends.

EDIT: Yep, Jim Lee made him.

#42 Posted by Migz13 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a huge fan of the Wildcats TV series back then. I used to refer to it as the 'other' X-men as both have almost similar animation styles back in the 90s. I remember it fondly because of one character: Grifter. This guy kicks ass!:D

#43 Posted by U R Sofa King We Todd Did (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

BTW I do like Apollo's new costume and if revamping DS this is as far as it should go 

#44 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@ironshadow said:
I feel like OMAC, Grifter, SGT Rock and maybe even Deathstroke should be on The Blackhawks, I think they would make a cool team or maybe Deathstroke could be part of The Outlaws.
Deathstoke isnt confused and looking for redemption. Thats what Red Hood and the Outlaws is about. Hes a mercenary. Each title has their own agenda. They wouldnt work on the same team. BUT I could see these groups and people against each other
#45 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio

Grifter seems like it would be the only book that wont suck.

#46 Posted by krisboyz781 (955 posts) - - Show Bio

Will this mean Majestic and Ambrose Chase will be in DC? I hope so. Majestic vs Superman. Chase vs Batman

#47 Posted by HubrisRanger (144 posts) - - Show Bio

Also just noticed Stormwatch is Paul Cornell too. Guess I'll be picking that up too then.

#48 Posted by imaginaryman (198 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't like what they did to the blackhawks, i like them as an old school type of characters, sure the modernization is cool, but i don't know it just doesn't feel right in my opinion. 

I like the stormwatch though, and I think they kinda overdid Deathstroke here the (metal) helmet seem to be over the top  

#49 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

GRIFTERRR!!!

please dont screw him up DC... im excited!

#50 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

oh and ps, zealot BETTER pop up in the grifter series...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.