Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DC Relaunch: Why no issue No. 1,000?

roboticjesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By roboticjesus

I was really trying to not blog about the relaunch a whole lot more, but I know there are those of us out there that couldn't believe that DC was going to relaunch Action Comics and Detective Comics when both of those volumes were getting close to the # 1,000 milestone. Some believed that there would be a later renumbering after the relaunch so those books could hit issue 1,000, but it really doesn't look like that is the case. Dan Didio said that if they did not restart the number of these books along with everything else, the relaunch would not be taken seriously. A very good point and a book with that many back issues can be very daunting to new readers who might not pick it up for the fear of being lost for missing so many issues. Didio also said that there are not any plans to renumber at a later date in order to hit these landmark numbers. There was some talk about how current events and arcs would transition into the reboot. For more info on that check out Bleeding Cool's write up (Source).

As a reader, I for the most part don't care about numbering. Things have been changed so many times for major titles at both DC and Marvel, that its hard to take numbers too seriously. If I remember correctly, I think Marvel relaunched some titles at #1 and then renumbered back to the old system in order to hit landmark issue numbers. DC did a lot of renumbering after "Crisis on Infinite Earths" in the mid 80's. The old Superman volume was renamed Adventures of Superman, and a new Superman (Vol. 2) volume was launched at issue #1 following John Byrne'sMan of Steel mini series (One of my all time favorite Superman arc's). Adventures picked up at the original Superman titles numbering and started with issue 424. Later on when trimming some of the fat in the Superman titles, DC cancelled some series (Superman: Man of Steel and Superman (vol. 2) and returned Adventures of Superman back to is original Superman title and resumed the numbering where Adventures left off. So Superman # 's 424-649 do not exist and are collected in Adventures.

A boring rehash I know, but I did it to show why I don't care about numbering. For someone (aka Me) who stopped reading Superman for awhile and picked up again after all this happened, it was very confusing. Changing the names of books and transferring numbering from one title to another is a pain in the ass and creates a cluster F@#& in the scheme of things, especially for those trying to collect back issues. I know there is plenty of time for things to change and DC can still decided to renumber and hit issue # 1,000 later on, but I really hope they stick to what they have said and don't do that. It will just make a mess and not benefit anyone in the long run.

roboticjesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By roboticjesus

@aztek the lost: If a book reached issue 1,000 without any continuity changes, reboots, relaunches, renumberings, etc. I could respect the achievement of such a long run. Renumbering back to 1,000 after a relaunch negates any achievement the numbering might have because its meaning less if 900 of those issues don't matter in current continuity. As you said, any move back would be a gimmick and probably a sales one. If they resort to that it will just mean the relaunch has failed.

nick7913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By nick7913

I don't think that reverting back to the old numbering invalidates the achievement of being the oldest superhero book still being published today. I have no issue with number changes since I am mainly a Marvel guy (although I've been switching to indies more and more) and they have done this quite a bit to the point that it's no big deal anymore. Plus, renumbering doesn't mean that there haven't been 999 issues before issue #1000. It just makes collectors' lives a little bit harder. Still, I shouldn't think it's very hard to go into the comicvine wiki and get it sorted out really easily since most titles have only gone through renumbering once or twice. It's much worse with titles that get cancelled every few years and then start up again at #1 (Inhumans, New Gods etc.) because when you try to talk with someone else about them there's always a bit of confusion since that always leads to conversations like the following: 
    -No, I mean the one that came out in... what was it? 2005... No 2006! 
    -The one with art by Jae Lee? 
    -No, that was 1998-99. The one with story by McKeever.
    -That came out in 2003.
    - Oh, right. Yeah, that's the one. 

P.S. No matter what Dan Didio says, it will be almost a decade before the big #1000 is due. By then Didio might be history or the board of directors might send down different orders. There is no way in hell that a company like DC will not jump at such an opportunity to boost their sales.

Carycomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Well, we're five years and seven months closer to that landmark issue. So, I don't care how much confusion it would cause to those under age 25. If ABC/Disney can rally enough behind the 50th anniversary of "A Charlie Brown Christmas" NOT to butcher it with video-editing (for the first time in the last five years), then Time/Warner can let DC revert to the original numbering for an equally brief (but no less historic) moment in time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.