Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DC Movie Universe, donde art thou?

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So Sony's Spider-man and Fox's X-Men are going to have a movie universe before DC? unless DC is about to announce 5 other movies besides Batman VS. Superman I really don't know what is going on there. I need a pillow to scream into. Feel free to scream.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I'm perfectly fine with them taking their time to focus on one good film in 2015 which'll set up much more and then branching out from there.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

I'm perfectly fine with them taking their time to focus on one good film in 2015 which'll set up much more and then branching out from there.

*gives pillow* you don't have to be ashamed here. nobody wants to wait until 2019 for one movie that will set up other movies that will come out in 2035.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Clearly they're working on it with the Superman/Batman movie. Expect more information after it's released.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Fallschirmjager

All Sony did was announced they have films in development. They didn't announce release dates. They don't even have a completed script.

They're hardly at the forefront of anything. WB has all ready done some early shooting for Batman/Superman

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

Clearly they're working on it with the Superman/Batman movie. Expect more information after it's released.

working on it? this a win now league! working on it is what gets coaches fired! exclamation mark!

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC should have more than one creative team making their movies. I don't want every film to be made by Zack Snyder and Chris Nolan. I hope that Warner bros will hire other directors and incorporate other studios so, we can have a variety of different styles of filmmaking.

My problem with marvel studios films is that they are all trying to be just popcorn films and aren't trying to go deeper. Ever since avengers it seems like there films are getting closer and closer to straight up comedys.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

This.

Also, I don't think DC really has to worry about it anyways, they have the the two most iconic Superheros ever battling each other on film, that's going to get tons of people interested in the film as well as what they have in store after BvS.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC should have more than one creative team making their movies. I don't want every film to be made by Zack Snyder and Chris Nolan. I hope that Warner bros will hire other directors and incorporate other studios so, we can have a variety of different styles of filmmaking.

My problem with marvel studios films is that they are all trying to be just popcorn films and aren't trying to go deeper. Ever since avengers it seems like there films are getting closer and closer to straight up comedys.

you i like, well done. let us scream into the pillow together

All Sony did was announced they have films in development. They didn't announce release dates. They don't even have a completed script.

They're hardly at the forefront of anything. WB has all ready done some early shooting for Batman/Superman

not just sony, fox too. at this rate miramax is going to announce an Image universe before DC gets off the ground, let alone announces that they plan to get off the ground.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about all of those potential low budget films that were announced? Anyway, Batman/Superman is obviously meant to be the start of their shared universe(or at least the "shared" part), so they'll probably announce more afterwards.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear: Fox announced one movie in 2016. Don't see how that's beating anyone.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

@cuddlebear: Fox announced one movie in 2016. Don't see how that's beating anyone.

x-force too, and wolverine.

No release dates. No scripts.

Means nothing.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Means nothing.

oh please. *gives pillow* trust me you will feel better

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

@cuddlebear said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Means nothing.

Not my problem that you don't understand how the film industry works.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16  Edited By GraniteSoldier

I like the Marvel movies and the DC movies. I think both are doing fine. Marvel just seemed to plan out ahead and take the risk of doing a "joint movie universe" before DC. They really started way back with the first Hulk movie, which was pretty terrible, but they kept going and improving. They took the risk. DC rebooted Batman, not a bad idea because those were good movies, but they just didn't want to risk it. Once they saw how successful it was becoming, I guess they decided to do it too. Does this mean theirs will be worse? No I don't think so. If they contracted out their movie rights like Marvel, we might see more heroes from them other than just Superman and Batman. I'd like to see Black Canary or some of DC's other street levelers. They have a lot of good characters but play it safe with their big two. I say two because Wonder Woman has yet to share their cinematic spotlight.

I'm not worried about DC, in fact when the Marvel movies pass then we'll still have DC's going (unless they REALLY blow through them) since they started after. And I'm alright with that, so long as they take their time and make good movies. I know some people constantly compare the two, but I don't. I don't see any Marvel or DC movie really that much better than the other. Just sit back and enjoy them.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CuddleBear

@cuddlebear said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@cuddlebear said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Means nothing.

Not my problem that you don't understand how the film industry works.

i understand how everything works. but more importantly i know how to work it girl! exclamtion mark! oh i forgot the fantastic four!!!! DC might be in 4th place behind 1) Disney Marvel 2) Sony Marvel 3) Fox Marvel

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CuddleBear

I like the Marvel movies and the DC movies. I think both are doing fine. Marvel just seemed to plan out ahead and take the risk of doing a "joint movie universe" before DC. They really started way back with the first Hulk movie, which was pretty terrible, but they kept going and improving. They took the risk. DC rebooted Batman, not a bad idea because those were good movies, but they just didn't want to risk it. Once they saw how successful it was becoming, I guess they decided to do it too. Does this mean theirs will be worse? No I don't think so. If they contracted out their movie rights like Marvel, we might see more heroes from them other than just Superman and Batman. I'd like to see Black Canary or some of DC's other street levelers. They have a lot of good characters but play it safe with their big two. I say two because Wonder Woman has yet to share their cinematic spotlight.

I'm not worried about DC, in fact when the Marvel movies pass then we'll still have DC's going (unless they REALLY blow through them) since they started after. And I'm alright with that, so long as they take their time and make good movies. I know some people constantly compare the two, but I don't. I don't see any Marvel or DC movie really that much better than the other. Just sit back and enjoy them.

sit back and enjoy them? i am team DC i want some wins! but i think you hit it on the head with the taking risks comment. what we see from DC is something like Arrow or the new Flash show because it is low risk.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@cuddlebear: Well, I personally enjoy DC's animated movies/tv more than Marvel's. Overall I think Marvel has made better movies than DC, but Marvel has quite a few whereas DC doesn't. I think DC is focused more on TV, like it's a safer bet since there is no real competition with Marvel their and the WB has it's own network. Marvel does take more risks, as they have a movie being released with a space Raccoon and a talking tree, while DC has yet to push Wonder Woman. I think DC is just less risk-oriented. Who knows? I wish them both success.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Marvel had 5 years to build their cinematic universe. WB/DC should take their time and establish their universe in the right way rather than rushing it to try and catch up The Avengers.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel had 5 years to build their cinematic universe. WB/DC should take their time and establish their universe in the right way rather than rushing it to try and catch up The Avengers.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CuddleBear

@humanrocket said:

its going to be 5 years until batman vs. superman comes out. before you can start something you have to start something.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SheenLantern

@cuddlebear said:

@sheenlantern said:

@humanrocket said:

its going to be 5 years until batman vs. superman comes out. before you can start something you have to start something.

It doesn't count if it's 5 years with nothing in between.

Besides, it's coming out in 2015.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By LyraFay

Hey WB/DC are about quality over quantity. Yes I want them to succeed too since Marvel films are becoming repetitive. Besides it looks like they've been working on this movie before Man of Steel comes out. Clearly they want it to be good. Only issue I have is with people who are constantly rejecting it and claiming they have to be like Marvel and that it's "overcrowded," (The Avengers team in the sequel actually has more heroes in it than the announced DC superheroes.) I really hope they can get their DC movie universe going because it could possibly outlast Marvel's one if done correctly.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I like popcorn films......

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They seem to have a half plan. I don't think they fully know what they are doing.

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By whygamespot

Would rather have better quality films. In fact I only worry about the possibility that they will ruin the characters I like then blame the characters for not generating big bucks and stop making films about them.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Personally I'd rather DC/WB take their time and do things right, rather than rush things simply to catch up with Marvel only to blow it because they were too impatient. The best thing DC can do right now is simply take it slow.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LyraFay

And to be fair WB/DC have been doing well by placing their characters in other form of media such as animation, TV and video games (not say that Marvel hasn't done that also) and have effectively brought to new generations of people without doing much in the way of movies. After all movies are more risky.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well, now that DC have announced Wonder Woman in the Batman and Superman movie and possibly Nightwing and Doomsday, or even Martian Manhunter, it proves they are doing something...I'm on team DC too and I am no longer ready to scream into my pillow. Also, there have almost been too many Marvel films recently and not all have been top notch quality. Wolverine is my favourite Marvel hero and I was a tad disappointed with how that film ended. Amazing spiderman? Pretty good, but preferred the original.... Iron Man 3 was "okay"..Guardians of the Galaxy? No thanks. Cap America Winter Soldier? I will probably get it on DVD!!

..I'd rather DC get it right and put out top notch films, hopefully held in the same esteem as the Nolan ones, than just churn out rubbish. WB are right to be cautious, they got it wrong with Green Lantern so need to make sure they don't repeat the same mistake

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Random fact: Warner Brothers was the no. 1 highest grossing movie studio of the year with $1.6 billion at the box office this year and that was without usual suspects Harry Potter and Batman. And yes they did have one superhero film in Man of Steel. By all definition WB doesn't need to do superhero films but they want to. But I still can't wait to see what they're going to do thou. :)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Never mind that I want some more Image Comics movies

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WIshIWasSuperman

@lyrafay said:

Random fact: Warner Brothers was the no. 1 highest grossing movie studio of the year with $1.6 billion at the box office this year and that was without usual suspects Harry Potter and Batman. And yes they did have one superhero film in Man of Steel. By all definition WB doesn't need to do superhero films but they want to. But I still can't wait to see what they're going to do thou. :)

I think that's only counting domestic.

EDIT: No figures for this year as yet, but last year WB Pictures had it's 4th consecutive year above $4 Billion at $4.3 billion, although it looks like they've played 2nd fiddle to Sony who came in at $4.4 Billion.... point of interest "Disney" was behind WB managing $3.5 Billion in 2012 - when they had their Avengers blockbuster success to leverage too.... So either way yes - your point remains that WB don't "need" to make super-hero movies to be making lots of money, but happily they are making them.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RustyRoy

@lyrafay said:

EDIT: No figures for this year as yet, but last year WB Pictures had it's 4th consecutive year above $4 Billion at $4.3 billion, although it looks like they've played 2nd fiddle to Sony who came in at $4.4 Billion.... point of interest "Disney" was behind WB managing $3.5 Billion in 2012 - when they had their Avengers blockbuster success to leverage too.... So either way yes - your point remains that WB don't "need" to make super-hero movies to be making lots of money, but happily they are making them.

They mostly remain in the Top spot with Sony and Paramount sometimes outgrossing them, you can say they are the biggest Hollywood studio now. Btw they will again win this year, Hobbit 2 already made 200 mils from only 3-4 days.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LyraFay

@rustyroy said:

@wishiwassuperman said:

@lyrafay said:

They mostly remain in the Top spot with Sony and Paramount sometimes outgrossing them, you can say they are the biggest Hollywood studio now. Btw they will again win this year, Hobbit 2 already made 200 mils from only 3-4 days.

Yep that would be true.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: yeah, 2012 Sony took #1 and the year before was Paramount, couldn't be bothered looking any further back than that. I realise they're the best in the biz overall. It's why all the threads saying "WB/DC don't know what they're doing..." etc... are mostly pointless, since they're grossing more than anyone else.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.