Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DC, let's talk movies.

• 93 results
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#51  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Primmaster64: No no, if I could have it my ideal way Lex would have a background presence in the first two films but not be the main big bad till the third where every thing he's been scheming and building up to comes to a climax. Darkseid should never be used as just a Superman villain IMO. Zod should lead on to Brainiac and Kandor in the second film.
    gibson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By gibson
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: I respectfully disagree. Super and Luthor has been done for many movies. To break out of the BS emo Superman that was Superman Returns, we need a villain(s) to match his abilities. We need some plant punching power. An action movie, not a Luthor's super smarts gets beat by Supes super strength. 

If Luthor was in the movie as a Machiavelli like adviser to Zod then fine, it is what he does. But as a  primary villain for the sake of a movie, it is boring and repetitive.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#53  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @gibson said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: I respectfully disagree. Super and Luthor has been done for many movies. To break out of the BS emo Superman that was Superman Returns, we need a villain(s) to match his abilities. We need some plant punching power. An action movie, not a Luthor's super smarts gets beat by Supes super strength.   If Luthor was in the movie as a Machiavelli like adviser to Zod then fine, it is what he does. But as a  primary villain for the sake of a movie, it is boring and repetitive.
    that's because lex was the villain in EVERY MOVIE. im not saying Lex has to do the villain in every movie or hell even in this movie. but he does have to show up.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @joshmightbe:  

I still say Jonah Hex needs another shot, but this time done right, drop all that non sense about him talking to dead people and make it an actual western, just have our disfigured bada$$ bounty hunter going after a bounty, make it R rated and if at all possible keep out any supernatural involvement or at least minimize it, cause I know Hex occasionally deals with the supernatural but save that for the sequels 

once again, i agree with you. did you see the jonah hex animated short in the "superman/shazam" production? they should make a movie like that, only y'know...longer 

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By CainPanell
    @The Stegman: i agreed with everything you said
    Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Comicfan47

Wait with the 6th being made as we speak I know your talking about Avengers but  there is 3 more Marvel movies coming out next year along side Avengers which is Wolverine, Ghost Rider and Spiderman. 

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#57  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Comicfan47 said:
    Wait with the 6th being made as we speak I know your talking about Avengers but  there is 3 more Marvel movies coming out next year along side Avengers which is Wolverine, Ghost Rider and Spiderman. 
    umm what?
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By sora_thekey

I can't really speak for Green Lantern since I have not seen it yet... but why doesn't DC try to do the opposite of what Marvel is doing?

By that I mean either/or:

• Make a JLA movie (Big budget really great cast, effects and writing blockbuster film) and then make smaller (origin) solo movies of the characters involved.
    • Instead of using A-List characters which most have been a media failure (Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Superman, Pre-Batman Begins Batman and Flash). Use their B-List characters and make them prominent enough so that they sell good, quality movies.
    gibson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By gibson
    @sora_thekey: I think because DCs B list is really really B list. JLA International is kind of a Joke. Blue Beetle is reminiscent of a Power Rangers villain. JSA wold not translate well to big screen. Green Arrow had potential, when they were making that Supermax movie. But due to Smallville, most of them are seen as a joking and comical to the producers. 

I say again i fear DC is too afraid to look like copy cats of they were do a big production in a JLA movie. But again this is DC/Warner Bros. They had a great Superman in Tom Welling, but opted for the Scott Baio clone in Brandon Routh. 

But hey, they are talking about a Hawkman movie. So that should be...something
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#61  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Comicfan47 said:
    Wolverine is being done by Fox, Ghost Rider and Spiderman are being done by Sony he's talking specifically about those being made by Marvel studios
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Comicfan47 said:
    Yep. Four Marvel movies, with one being the Avengers. Not to mention Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy in pre-production as well.  

@sora_thekey said:

I can't really speak for Green Lantern since I have not seen it yet... but why doesn't DC try to do the opposite of what Marvel is doing?

By that I mean either/or:

• Make a JLA movie (Big budget really great cast, effects and writing blockbuster film) and then make smaller (origin) solo movies of the characters involved.
    • Instead of using A-List characters which most have been a media failure (Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Superman, Pre-Batman Begins Batman and Flash). Use their B-List characters and make them prominent enough so that they sell good, quality movies.
    I would like that a lot. Which B-listers do you think should be in it though? Cause if the whole team is B-List, it may as well be JSA, right?
    IamKryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By IamKryptonite
    @The_Tree: I also agree.
    The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By The Sadhu

Now with the Harry Potter franchise out of the way... WB will finally look to DC for inspiration and $$$$ signs... hopefully!
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By sora_thekey

@gibson: A Hawkman movie would be great. The DCU has a lot of great B-List characters... There's Raven, Beast Boy, Cyborg, Starfire, Captain Atom, Booster Gold & Blue Beetle, Green Arrow, Black Canary and Huntress. A lot of potential!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By sora_thekey

@Gambit1024: The one problem with B-Listers is that most of them are related to an A-List character.

There needs to be a Batman for there to be a Robin, Oracle, Batgirl, Red Robin and Catwoman.

There needs to be a Superman for there to be a Supergirl, Superboy, Power Girl and Krypto.

There needs to be a Wonder Woman for there to be a Wonder Girl and Donna Tory.

There needs to be a Flash for there to be a Kid Flash and Impulse.

Yet, like I mentioned above, there is potential for other individual stories for B-List characters.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Gambit1024
    @sora_thekey: I get what your saying. As a matter of fact, I think most of the characters you mentioned would be perfect for a team kind of movie.  

Captain Atom, Mr. Terrific, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Green Arrow, Black Canary and Huntress would be an awesome team to see on the silver screen. Heck, even throw someone like Captain Marvel (a character the public generally knows) and people'd flock to go see it.   

I think one could get away with doing a Teen Titans film with Robin, Beast Boy, Cyborg, Raven, and Starfire. To give Robin some background, all you'd have to do is just give Batman a mention, right? It's not like they'd have to go through the trouble to make a whole Batman movie with Robin to set it up. 
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

to me, the following characters could hold a solid movie 

Flash 
    Question 
    Wonder Woman 
    Green Lantern 
    Mr. Terrific 
    Green Arrow 
    Captain Marvel

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Gambit1024
    @The Stegman: Question and Mr. Terrific? I'm interested. How do you think they could do them in a solo movie?
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Gambit1024: well Question would be easy, just make it into a detective/ murder mystery story 

as for Terrific, they could start off showing him being a child prodigy, going to the best schools, eventually starting his own company and making millions, however seeing that many of the devices he makes are being stolen/ traded on the black market and used to fund terrorism (similar to the beginning of Iron Man) he decides to take the law into his own hands and become a terrific vigilante 

not my best ideas, i sure it could be a bit better than that, but its 3 AM where i'm at and i'm kinda burned out lol 
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By sora_thekey

@Gambit1024: The thing about Robin is that he wouldn't really work unless Batman were there. In the comics Robin has perfectly created his own image. In the comics he needs no Batman to go ahead with his heroics... in every "Other Media" incarnation he needs Batman for the sake of non-comic book readers.

Everybody knows who Batman and Robin are but not Robin by himself. Even in Young Justice he needed Batman to be introduced. I think a Teen Titans movie without Robin would work though. I also think that if DC focused on it's B-List characters for movies they would get a better response by the fans because (1) readers would get hints and small mentions that only Comic Book fans would know and (2) it would be perfect to introduce movie watchers to the rest of the DCU.

Everybody know who Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and even Aquaman are, but before the Marvel movies nobody knew who Iron Man or Thor were other than the readers. DC doesn't need to make movies of their A-List characters because everybody knows who they are. They need to push forward the rest of their universe.

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72  Edited By Misterwizz

@Gambit1024:

Sorry to respond really late, but DC doesn't own the rights to their characters. WB does. Marvel actually owns the rights to some of their characters (or disney).

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By KingofMadCows

But WB/Time Warner owns DC. Fox doesn't own Marvel.

They should just try a big budget animated film by the DCAU people. Sure, Mask of the Phantasm didn't make money but that's because they didn't really advertise it and it was planned as a straight to video movie in the first place.

And really, they should just get the DCAU people involved, at least in the writing.

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#74  Edited By Misterwizz

@KingofMadCows:

I said some not all. And yes Fox owns the rights to some Marvel Characters (X-men, Fantastic Four, etc).

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#75  Edited By Billy Batson

OP says Batman Begins was a lackluster?

BB

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Gambit1024

@Billy Batson: Ok, I was stupid when I wrote it. I rewatched it last week and it was good. Seemed a lot more boring when I was 14.

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By KingofMadCows

@Misterwizz: The point is that DC is entirely owned by the same company so they can make a movie about any DC character they want. They can also make a movie with every DC character in it. Marvel can't do that. Well, they probably can but Disney would have to pay Fox a lot of money.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Gambit1024

@KingofMadCows: And Sony. Spider-Man's their baby.

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By KingofMadCows

@Gambit1024: Well I guess that depends on how well the new Spiderman does. I doubt they'd have to pay that much to New Line for Blade or Lionsgate for Punisher.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Gambit1024

@KingofMadCows: Are you kidding? The next Spider-Man is gonna crush at the box office. The first and third film of the last franchise are two of the highest grossing superhero films of all time. Spidey's a cash cow. No way are they gonna sell him anytime soon.

Punisher sold because both of his movies were bombs and Blade sold because I'm pretty sure they had an agreement with Marvel Studios. X-Men and Spider-Man, however, aren't gonna be Marvel's for a loooong time. I believe that in the next few years, if Fox doesn't crank out a Fantastic Four and a Daredevil movie, those rights can and will revert back to Marvel. So at least Marvel would be able to bring in DD and the FF to their little MCU.

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Hoboseid

@Dernman said:

Green Lantern could have been a good movie if it was done right.

Geoff Johns is fail

I think better effort should have been put into Wonder Woman

Avatar image for death_from_below
    Death_From_Below

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Death_From_Below

I wonder if they will make a movie of all the dc characters.

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By blackadamFTW

If they don't make a Flash movie within ten years, I'm going to be oh so pissed.

Darth Paul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#84  Edited By Darth Paul

If Marvel can do Thor and frickin' Ant Man then DC can certainly do WW and Aquaman!

Piquedram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Piquedram

What if they made a movie without the Big 3?

I mean a "JLA Year One" version of JLA movie?

Then a world's finest movie,a trinity movie

then the Big 3 joins the JLA

Kiltro95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#86  Edited By Kiltro95

I agree DC has to get on top with their movies the problem is is that warner bros. just doesn't know how to translate them into a way that not only would the audience want to connect with the character but also sympathize with them. Take Superman for example sure he's bullet proof on the outside but give him a reason to make him feel pain on the inside, like in the new movie have Brainiac (if its[its a robot it has no gender] in) make Superman watch Krypton's demise, also Clark Kent can be a very relatable character I mean a smallville timer trying to find his place in the big city. I mean if they even put half the effort they put into Batman in Superman the theater would explode with cinematic blockbusting master work. I had high hopes for Green Lantern and despite how much it failed I still shouted "Hell Yeah!" when Sinestro put on the yellow ring but its main problem was that with a Green Lantern movie they could of had one line that would give the movie meaning if Hal was fighting Sinestro after finding the regime he runs.

Hal: "Don't you see Sinestro! Your using the very thing you swore to fight to control your sector! Fear." Boom.

Point is DC comic movies have so much potential it just needs to be done right.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Primmaster64

Man they really should do Flash ,Aquaman, Wonder Woman movies.
    Seriously F**k Lex Luthor.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#88  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

<----- Is still waiting for a Batman Beyond movie. <_<

deadpool6_6_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By deadpool6_6_6

@Primmaster64 said:

Do NOT put Lex Luthor in the Superman movie please. Been there done that.

yeah the whole lex luthor part is predictable.

NinaColada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By NinaColada

It would be great to see Justice League or appearances from other DC characters but lets be realistic Batman and Superman are DC's most popular characters so of course all the movies, games and merchandise are going to revolve around them.

I haven't yet seen Green Lantern, but by what I've heard apparently it wasn't the best, which is a shame because it would've had a lot of potential. I don't think a movie just based on the Flash or Aquaman would get as much attention but if they had a Justice League movie it would be REALLY popular.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By AtPhantom

Green Lantern's problem was that they tried to make a movie based on Marvel's mold, and didn't put any thought into it. Because really, the way it looks like Green Lantern seems completely ready to jump into Avengers at any point.

It's other problem is Parallax is, now and forever, totally lame.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#92  Edited By KainScion

@Darth Paul: they didnt do ant man so FAIL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Comicfan47: No The Dark Knigth ever,to you know he was the third highest grossing of the world

golvellius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By golvellius

I think Smallville has been a great acomplishment of Warner bros and DC. It is proof that there is a lot of people who crave to se DC characters in live action. As a big screen movie or just a TV series. A very interesting aproach would be for DC to make a group of miniseries that continued into a big screen movie. It would be kind of cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.