Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DC gives batman too much love!!

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By 2cool4fun

Okay we all know DC loves batman the most, but it is getting way over the top now...

1. Batman has over 4 books in which he appears in. He has his self tittled comic, Detective Comics, The Dark Knight, Batman & Robin, Batman & Superman ( Which they changed from Superman/Batman ), for a while he even had Batman Inc. He appears in Justice League & when the JLI was still around he was in every freaking issue ( except for 2, but batwing was there too fill in the bat hole ), i mean what the hell?

2. He's family is taking over a third of DC comics:

1. Batman -2. Detective Comics -3. Batman: The Dark Knight -4. Batman & Robin - 5. Batgirl - 6. Batwoman - 7. Catwoman - 8. Birds of Prey who for some reason 90% of the time are in Gotham - 9. Nightwing ( at least he finally has his own city again ) 10. Batman Inc. ( At least this was a limited series ) 11. Batwing 12. Talon 13. Harley Quinn

Not to mention that he constantly has comics tying in to his comic, even some that are not strictly in his comic book family, he had Red Hood & Teen Titans tie in to his stories, he even had the freaking all star western comic tying in.

3. Which really bothered me this month, he almost has more tie ins than superman & forever evil together:

Krypton Returns:

1. Action Comics Annual

2. Superman

3. Supergirl

4. Superboy

Forever Evil:

1. Forever Evil

2. Forever Evil Agrus

3. Forever Evil Rouges Rebellion

4. Forever Evil Blight ( which is actually 4 comics so: 5. 6. 7. )

8. Justice League + 9. JLA

10. Suicide Squad

Zero Year:

1. Batman

2. Detective Comics

3. Batgirl

4. Nightwing

5. Red Hood

6. Batwing

7. Batwoman

8. Catwoman

9. Action Comics

10. Green Arrow

11. The Flash

12. Green Lantern Corps

13. Birds of Prey

4. Batman vs Superman:

Superman has been DC's first superhero, and has been there most popular one for most of the companies existence. Yet they easily replaced him as there mascot with batman, as soon as batman got more popular. Not only that but compared to what we are going to get for Batman's 75th anniversary Superman's seems like a joke, Superman Unchained started 6 months ago and till now we only got like 4 issues of and that is it. Batman is getting a weekly in the spring of 2014 & he's anniversary has more talks in DC than Superman's which is already happening. Not to mention he is also getting a 80 page issue of detective comics in January as a celebration.

I could continue to number 5 & 6 but I think you all got the point...

Edit: People you have to understand I'm not trying to complain here or to hear "don't like it don't buy it", I'm just stating an opinion cause I was interested in what the people from comicvine thought about this...

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By wbr17

Fans love batman too much

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Don't like it, don't buy it

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't like it, don't buy it

I only read 3 of the 13 batman family titles with Harley Quinn. And not Counting Red Hood & The Outlaws, since this & teen titans are not batman familly titles just cause they have an ex-Robin in them.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Just out of curiousity, why does Batwoman count more than Red Hood And The Outlaws or Teen Titans?

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a problem with the Bat Family having a huge chunk of DC comics, since I love characters like Nightwing, Batgirl, and Robin, but I do agree that the amount of Batman titles out right now is ridiculous. Especially since the only ones I have found to be consistently good are Batman and Batman and Robin. I don't see the need for Detective Comics or The Dark Knight because of how hit and miss they are.

Heh, you can probably blame the Superman Unchained release dates on Jim Lee.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 2cool4fun

@v_scarlotte_rose: Cause Batwoman is part of the bat family, and is in gotham, red hood & the outlaws are around the world ( when not on there island ) and only 1 of the 3 characters is from batman's universe, while 1 is from green arrows and 1 is from none.

And Teen Titans is a team book, you don't see Justice League being an Aquaman book cause it had 1 crossover.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2cool4fun: I'm not sure if Batwoman can be called one of the family.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Wolverine008
    LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

The reason why DC always pushes Batman and his family because they are interesting characters and can be reinvented to suit their environments and time period of what the artist, director or writer are from. And he's turning 75 next year that's a big deal just as Superman's. He's also still at the current peak of his popularity so of course they're going to push him.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman sells it as simple as that. I agree they need to tone it down though there are 7 slots open in The New 52 what are the odds that at least one of the new books will be a Bat book?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Until Batman stops selling, they're not going to stop making his books

And unless other characters sell more, they're not going to make more of them either

Green Arrow, Swamp Thing and Animal Man are all FANTASTIC books. Barely break 25k sales.

Everyone is in the business of making money. No body does something if they think it won't turn a profit.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

another superman fanboy jealous, oh and its going to get worst... next year is batmans 75th year anniversary

also i think geoff is a fan of batman? yeah he writes him shit (used to think it was because he hated him) but he added him into forever evil over everyother superhero and he wanted to write batman year one, second vol is coming soon too

Johnni_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Johnni_Kun

@fil123: No. Johns totally hate Bats. He added him so shame him in some sort of way. Probably soon actually.

I don't understand why people have a problem with Batman and the Bat-family having so many books. Do they think that if there was less, their way less interesting character would have a book? Lets be realistic.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC gives Batman love because Batman gives them money. Even the less popular titles gained enough revenue to survive the cancellations that have occurred so far.

XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By XIII

DON'T blame DC. Blame the Fans. It is their fault DC shows them so much love. ... right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

DC loves batman the most for one reason

No Caption Provided

DC making money isn't effecting you in any way. Just don't read them.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alak said:

DC gives Batman love because Batman gives them money.

That's exactly what I was going to say lol, are you a telepath?

@2cool4fun why does it matter if its Batman/Superman instead of Superman/Batman?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2cool4fun Btw Red Hood and the Outlaws are part of Batman Group titles so its not surprising if they crossover with him.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@2cool4fun why does it matter if its Batman/Superman instead of Superman/Batman?

It doesn't, I was just mentioning it, the first 3 things bother me more. Yet every one here only looks at the last example and are like

"oh look some stupid superman fanboy getting his panties wet"

@rustyroy said:

@2cool4fun Btw Red Hood and the Outlaws are part of Batman Group titles so its not surprising if they crossover with him.

Why are they a batman title? They have a green arrow character and a character who is currently in no family, red hood is the same as teen titans to batman or justice league to aquaman.

Also the Don't like it don't buy it comments are getting old, hwo says I'm buying them all.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By 2cool4fun

@fil123 said:

another superman fanboy jealous, oh and its going to get worst... next year is batmans 75th year anniversary

also i think geoff is a fan of batman? yeah he writes him shit (used to think it was because he hated him) but he added him into forever evil over everyother superhero and he wanted to write batman year one, second vol is coming soon too

Batman Earth One

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By PapiNacho

Can DC give any of it's characters too much love? It isn't a zero-sum game and even if it was why would Superman deserve more attention? Who is to say they shouldn't have more Wonder Woman books, or ten Flash books? Batman having a third of the titles is reasonable, because he is one of the three great corners of DC: Batman, Superman and the rest. Nobody forces the authors to tie into Batman it isn't a corporate decisions, the authors are the ones that pitch their ideas. Batman Inc was Morrison's passion project. Superman didn't only get Unchained, he got Superman/Wonder Woman and Batman/Superman which are both operating under the Superman family editorial. That is right the Superman family editorial gets to decide how to handle the trinity. Batman/Superman is the title of their team up book because it makes sense, it is alphabetical order and both characters deserve equal respect. Additionally Batman remains featless in Justice League, having contributed nothing, because the CCO wants to promote other characters like Jordan or Aquaman.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: You know just because i have a superman picture does not mean i want superman to get special treatment, I'd expect you having one as well to know that...

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2cool4fun: Sure I get that, however that is what your opening post made it sound like. At the very least your first point, about the name change and the anniversary. Althought to be fair I might have been a bit over sensitive. I will say however that my point still stands, just like your post with the name change there is more to my post than anti-Superman fanboyism, I mean he is my second favorite character I have no reason to want him to not be treated well.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: Yeah your post is pretty fair, but i only compared him to superman cause the anniversary's was the perfect thing to show my opinion, and the fact that superman is the only one who is close to batman's popularity made him perfect to compare the 2. Those were my only 2 reasons why I used superman, nothing more nothing less.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman has been their hottest property since at least 2008.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

And you like Superman too much. Point being?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: All of the biggest spikes coincide with movie releases. Not surprising at all.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@xwraith: Yeah. It's hard to tell how close this is to the reaction of comic book readers specifically, but it does show that more people in general are looking up Batman.

I'm not totally sure where I stand on this issue. Obviously Batman is popular, and is probably their most popular character, but I'm not sure if there needs to be quite so many titles. If there wasn't the 52 title limit, it would be totally fine by me, as there wouldn't be a restriction on how many non-Bat titles there could be.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I like Batman a lot too, because he's a great character but I don't buy any of his ongoings. If I'm in the mood for Batman I'll buy one of his trades, but generally I don't buy the ongoing because he is overrated and his book sells way too much. I want other books and characters to get attention too.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Cause he's Batman

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it don't care if they keep milking the hell out of batman. the only batman comic im reading right now is "Batman" all the others have lost my interest. I prefer superman so im more likely to spend money on superman comics. right now most of my pull list is superman related. if you don't like that there are so many bat books, spend your money on other characters like me.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Lol

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't, I was just mentioning it, the first 3 things bother me more. Yet every one here only looks at the last example and are like

"oh look some stupid superman fanboy getting his panties wet"

I never said that.

Why are they a batman title? They have a green arrow character and a character who is currently in no family, red hood is the same as teen titans to batman or justice league to aquaman.

Ask DC, I didn't include them in the Batman Group, DC did.

Also the Don't like it don't buy it comments are getting old, hwo says I'm buying them all.

Then why are you complaining? Its no use to ask us, go file a complain to DC, they're the one who are making the comics not us.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Batman should have less book. It's selling, so why not keeping them?

But, i agree about Zero Year. It's garbage and it's in every other comics.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: I'm not complaining i just wanted to see everyone's opinions...

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until Batman stops selling, they're not going to stop making his books

And unless other characters sell more, they're not going to make more of them either

Green Arrow, Swamp Thing and Animal Man are all FANTASTIC books. Barely break 25k sales.

Everyone is in the business of making money. No body does something if they think it won't turn a profit.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only who actually really enjoyed the Zero Year tie ins? (Except for Nightwing and Batgirl)

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gor724 said:

DC loves batman the most for one reason

No Caption Provided

DC making money isn't effecting you in any way. Just don't read them.

This.

If you don't like Batman being in so many books you can simply not read them.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, if only I had a nickel for every time I have seen one of these stupid Batman has too many titles threads. Its always some over the top fan that's upset their favorite hero doesn't get as much exposure.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.