Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DC fans, why do you prefer DC to Marvel.

• 166 results
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

..just interested to know, because with Marvel films doing the business right now, its almost going against the flow to prefer DC.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Because I liked more of DC's characters when I was a kid. Nothing will ever change that.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Boynerdgeek

Well...because DC superheroes act like heroes should do (i'm talking about the comics). They act heroic and save people, They are not jerk who always fight each other (this ofcos is my opinon)

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Kidd

Because I grew up watching DC cartoons.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I don't judge what I like by what's doing good business right now. I judge what I like by what interests me. Superman, Static, Batman II, Red Hood, Hawkman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Deathstroke--these are characters that interest me. I like some thing from Marvel. I'm looking at picking up the new Superior Iron Man series, maybe giving God of Thunder a whirl, perhaps spinning off into me getting the new Thor series, and I'm currently interested in finding which series I can find Jubilee in at the moment, but overall, their universe doesn't interest me much.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@eyedcyou said:

Because I liked more of DC's characters when I was a kid. Nothing will ever change that.

Plus, I can see myself with their characters more. Like I can relate to them. :)

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comes down to the characters and the stories. I was more drawn to DC's characters than Marvel's. When it came to Marvel I only cared for Wolverine and Spiderman. I liked Ironman but I didn't like Tony Stark. With DC I was drawn to a bunch of characters. JSA, Darkseid, TT, Shazam, etc. etc.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

Well, I don't judge what I like by what's doing good business right now. I judge what I like by what interests me. Superman, Static, Batman II, Red Hood, Hawkman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Deathstroke--these are characters that interest me. I like some thing from Marvel. I'm looking at picking up the new Superior Iron Man series, maybe giving God of Thunder a whirl, perhaps spinning off into me getting the new Thor series, and I'm currently interested in finding which series I can find Jubilee in at the moment, but overall, their universe doesn't interest me much.

Jubilee is currently a main cast member of the adjectiveless X-Men. It's a great series, reads much more like the older x-men comics, hardly discussing the schism BS

TyrantComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marvel is wining the movies no dout, we will just see how dc batman v superman works out and if it can beat out marvels avengers v avengers,

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

Jubilee is currently a main cast member of the adjectiveless X-Men. It's a great series, reads much more like the older x-men comics, hardly discussing the schism BS

Really now? I must admit, I have no previous experience with Marvel comics. At least nothing substantial. Anything I should look into before picking up X-Men, or could I jump right in?

marvel is wining the movies no dout, we will just see how dc batman v superman works out and if it can beat out marvels avengers v avengers,

In all fairness, if Marvel continues to make more money than DC when it comes to movies, that's fine. The important thing is that the movies themselves succeed. I don't want the only movies DC and WB be willing to support to be more Batman movies. (Unless it's Batman Beyond, but that's another story for another time.)

TyrantComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@dathomiesilversurfer said:

@scouterv said:

Really now? I must admit, I have no previous experience with Marvel comics. At least nothing substantial. Anything I should look into before picking up X-Men, or could I jump right in?

@tyrantcomics said:

In all fairness, if Marvel continues to make more money than DC when it comes to movies, that's fine. The important thing is that the movies themselves succeed. I don't want the only movies DC and WB be willing to support to be more Batman movies. (Unless it's Batman Beyond, but that's another story for another time.)

well i think i saw when, the dark knight beat out the avengers for best comic book movie, so batman him self could take the dc movies for the win, but man of steel was awful, and the direction for dc now that nolan is not part of it, is not up to par with marvel, one bad dc film and dc has to reboot agian, marvel can take a flop like antman and still be on top.

think we will ever see a Tyrant or Doomtrain movie?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrantcomics: He probably could. I'm not terribly surprised to hear DK beat out The Avengers. My problem with that, is that I'm just tired of Batman personally. I actually thought Man of Steel was pretty good, but the pacing needed a lot of work.

As for Tyrant and Doomtrain, it all comes down to applying yourself and who ya know. It's possible, though.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh I like both. But DC got me interested in comics and I find the iron man movies awful

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"because they are better"

*grabs popcorn*

TyrantComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@tyrantcomics: He probably could. I'm not terribly surprised to hear DK beat out The Avengers. My problem with that, is that I'm just tired of Batman personally. I actually thought Man of Steel was pretty good, but the pacing needed a lot of work.

As for Tyrant and Doomtrain, it all comes down to applying yourself and who ya know. It's possible, though.

Man of steel was just to much of a DBZ movie and i like DBZ, and it was a good movie, just not a good superman movie superman should have more than just action movie, what i would like to see is a shazam movie,

did you know? the 1960 story about how Shazam was out selling Superman, so dc sued the creators of the then captian marvel for copyright infringement, then latter hired Otto Binder the Wrighter for Shazam to wright superman storys, and is responsable for some of the most memrable parts of superman, marry marvel, was before supergirl and brainiac, bizzaro and many others, was created by the writer for shazam, so shazam is not so much of a rip of superman as you would think. and in fact superman takes alot from shazam.

its a good read

http://benito-cereno.tumblr.com/post/95497483168/comicbookuniversity-the-shazam-that-should-have

So you would see an doomtrain movie, I would expect it to go the way of hellboy or spawn, I mean antman has a movie, damn it! but thats how that goes

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well I am split down the middle, I have a love of DC because my first experience of a superhero was Batman in the mid 1970s, due re-runs of the old series, then Superman the Movie, but, as a kid, Marvel were the comics I read, Spiderman and Iron Man initially, along with Daredevil, then as a teenager I read a lot of Hulk, Power Man and Iron Fist. What we do as a kid definitely shapes who we follow in later life. I think If I had been born in the late 80s or 90s, I would have turned out mainly a Marvel fan due to the films from 2000 onwards....

TyrantComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TyrantComics

@scouterv: do you want to see a character i am working on? its still early in development

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJ_Was_Here

Because who didn’t tie a towel around their neck and pretend they were Superman? And don’t get me wrong, I like Marvel. The movies are fun, there are some great books (Hawkeye) and it really is a different tone. But I’m a DC guy to my core. That doesn’t mean that I can’t enjoy other companies. Quantum and Woody. XO Manowar. Southern Bastards. Black Science. There are good titles out there. But I identify with Superman. I have seen Batman’s parents die countless times. I was there when Kyle Rayner’s girlfriend was stuffed in a fridge. I wish I was a member of Checkmate. And while I was there on day one for many of the Marvel movies, I am overwhelmed with anticipation for the new DCCU. This is a great time to be a comic fan.

And @tyrantcomics, those were a lot of subjective opinions and bold presumptions in that post.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just like more DC characters than Marvel. No reason more than that.

TyrantComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jj_was_here: what about subjective opinions and presumptions?i even have a link posted, i am not hating superman just saying shazam is more than you think. and a shazam movie would be great

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I got into DC comics because of Batman: Arkham City. He was my favorite superhero, so learning about all of his history was very interesting. This led to me reading comics and then from Batman I moved on to Superman, Flash, Green Lantern/Arrow, etc..

I also watched the JLU series as a kid, so I had more exposure to DC heroes than Marvel heroes.

Personally, I just like the DC heroes more than the Marvel heroes too.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

As a kid DC's domination when it came to cartoons was obvious. But honestly that's not what did it, heck SUperman TAS if anything made me less interested in SUperman. I didn't get into comics ti'll I was in my late teens and went to go see Kick Ass. After that I started buying the Kick Ass 2 comic. The one day I saw all the New 52 comics and started buying hardcore. After a while Marvel Now came out and I started buying their comics. I tried a few but didn't like what I read so I dropped most of them. I was only reading Wolverine and the X-Men, but dropped that when it became apparent that it was gonna be non stop crossovers. I decided that following comics of both companies was gonna be expensive cus of crossovers, so I decided to stick with DC. Honestly I liked the characters more anyway.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@dathomiesilversurfer said:

@scouterv said:

@tyrantcomics said:

well i think i saw when, the dark knight beat out the avengers for best comic book movie, so batman him self could take the dc movies for the win, but man of steel was awful, and the direction for dc now that nolan is not part of it, is not up to par with marvel, one bad dc film and dc has to reboot agian, marvel can take a flop like antman and still be on top.

think we will ever see a Tyrant or Doomtrain movie?

I'm sorry. I should have clarified. THIS is the subjective opinions and bold presumptions I was speaking of.

TyrantComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jj_was_here: the dark knight was the best comic book movie and beat out avengers with thousand of votes, and a batman movie can beat out an iron man and then some, if dc had one bad film it will hurt them, if ant man flops it not a issue for marvel,

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrantcomics: Well, I don’t know what votes you are talking about, but Avengers still made more than Dark Knight in the box office. And “bad film” is subjective, because you just said that Man of Steel sucked, but it raked in the dough. Over 600 million. Suicide Squad probably won’t do that, but that isn’t going to stop them. They are going to go for it. Marvel has had bad films. Thor 2 was weak in comparison and Iron Man 3 wasn’t great either, but they still brought in the duckets.

But my comment about subjective opinions and bold assumptions was toward Chris Nolan not being a part of it so it won’t be on par with Marvel. How do you know that? Chris Nolan did what he did with Batman. It was different and now it is done. Stop bringing it up. Man of Steel was a good movie. It had everything a Superman film should have. And, again, it was successful without very much Nolan input. So saying that it won’t be on par without him is a bold presumption. Saying Man of Steel was awful was a subjective opinion.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RustyRoy

I don't know, I always liked DC's stuffs more than Marvel, I like DC animated shows/movies more than Marvel's, I like DC live action movies/TV shows more than Marvel's, I like DC games more than Marvel's, I like DC comic books more than Marvel's and I like DC characters more than Marvel. I also enjoy Marvel but always prefer DC.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of my favorite characters are DC characters. Aquaman, Superman, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Green lantern, Batman, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman... Frankly, a Marvel character is lucky to break my top 20.

Having good movies isn't enough to make me like the Marvel characters more than the characters who have been my heroes since I was a child, and the characters I was introduced to through my heroes.

TyrantComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TyrantComics

@jj_was_here said:

@tyrantcomics: Well, I don’t know what votes you are talking about, but Avengers still made more than Dark Knight in the box office. And “bad film” is subjective, because you just said that Man of Steel sucked, but it raked in the dough. Over 600 million. Suicide Squad probably won’t do that, but that isn’t going to stop them. They are going to go for it. Marvel has had bad films. Thor 2 was weak in comparison and Iron Man 3 wasn’t great either, but they still brought in the duckets.

But my comment about subjective opinions and bold assumptions was toward Chris Nolan not being a part of it so it won’t be on par with Marvel. How do you know that? Chris Nolan did what he did with Batman. It was different and now it is done. Stop bringing it up. Man of Steel was a good movie. It had everything a Superman film should have. And, again, it was successful without very much Nolan input. So saying that it won’t be on par without him is a bold presumption. Saying Man of Steel was awful was a subjective opinion.

why do you want people to stop talking about the best comic book movie ever made? there was polls done that the dark knight beat out the avengers as best comic book movie google it, nolan is not part of the dc movies anymore, they had his name as a producer on man of steel, then he wanted to take his name off of that movie, guess why? man of steel good movie? with killing superman first enemy? go back and read some of the comics becouse thats not superman, goku does not even kill, and that was just a DBZ fight movie, and superman was a dark brooding batman, but i am sure thats what a superman film should be.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like both but i started with DC first so i see no reason to change.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

I actually preferred a lot of Marvel characters as a kid (Spiderman, X-Men, and Hulk) but now I'm more into DC characters.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jj_was_here said:

why do you want people to stop talking about the best comic book movie ever made? there was polls done that the dark knight beat out the avengers as best comic book movie google it, nolan is not part of the dc movies anymore, they had his name as a producer on man of steel, then he wanted to take his name off of that movie, guess why? man of steel good movie? with killing superman first enemy? go back and read some of the comics becouse thats not superman, goku does not even kill, and that was just a DBZ fight movie, and superman was a dark brooding batman, but i am sure thats what a superman film should be.

Best Comic Book Movie ever made? I actually liked Man of Steel more than The Dark Knight Rises, and I really liked The Dark Knight Rises, but I'm not a huge Batman fan at the same time.

Also, thinking about the big picture, killing Zod was done to make a point. After seeing what it did to him, now we know why Superman won't kill again. It shows why he has a no killing rule. And Goku has nothing to do with Superman, and DBZ had some entertaining fights. Nothing wrong with seeing one of those on the big screen. Maybe more of that and Dragonball Evolution wouldn't have sucked so hard. And Superman may have been brooding, but we don't know if he'll remain that way. He just killed a man. Thousands of lives were lost battling Zod. I think he has a right to brood. Now, if he continues, that will be bad. If he learns from it, and learns to look at the brighter side of things and people from all of this bad he's been surrounded by, then things go full circle.

TyrantComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TyrantComics

@scouterv said:

@tyrantcomics said:

@jj_was_here said:

Best Comic Book Movie ever made? I actually liked Man of Steel more than The Dark Knight Rises, and I really liked The Dark Knight Rises, but I'm not a huge Batman fan at the same time.

Also, thinking about the big picture, killing Zod was done to make a point. After seeing what it did to him, now we know why Superman won't kill again. It shows why he has a no killing rule. And Goku has nothing to do with Superman, and DBZ had some entertaining fights. Nothing wrong with seeing one of those on the big screen. Maybe more of that and Dragonball Evolution wouldn't have sucked so hard. And Superman may have been brooding, but we don't know if he'll remain that way. He just killed a man. Thousands of lives were lost battling Zod. I think he has a right to brood. Now, if he continues, that will be bad. If he learns from it, and learns to look at the brighter side of things and people from all of this bad he's been surrounded by, then things go full circle.

well we both agree dragon ball evolution sucked mega balls, and you know superman could have just blocked zods eye lasers with is hand right? or fly away form the city and not harm people

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Comicuser

I'm older now, so I prefer the more serious tone of DC. Also I like to read my comics and feel like its important and some of the most powerful characters are handling this really huge threat. With Marvel, I dont feel that. Most of their popular heroes are street level and I cant take those threats seriously.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its about comics not movies...

TyrantComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The characters are more inspiring. I want to read about heroes I can aspire too and cheer for.

thank you my point

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrantcomics: Even if Superman could have done that, there was no other way this fight was going to end. Zod wasn't going to go quietly to jail and there's nowhere he could be held without putting people in danger. Zod was going to glass the entire planet if he wasn't stopped. Superman was put in an impossible situation and made an impossible choice, and now he has to live with that. It's something that will guide him forever, and change the way he thinks about his powers and his responsibility. Character development.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: I understand. I have the same thing but with Marvel.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I've always preferred the DC universe over the Marvel universe. I feel like Marvel has 20 little subdivisions of characters like the X-men, Inhumans, Celestials, Avengers and so on. DC characters blend together better it seems.

And everyone lives in New York. DC got creative with their cities. Marvel has made up some places too but not as many as DC.

The Marvel movie line up, 1, has nothing to do with their books and 2, maybe you forgot that DC announced their slate for the next 6 years too.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because batman

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#44  Edited By Lvenger

@eyedcyou said:

This for me plus the factor that even after the continuity butchering New 52, I still like more of DC's comics than what Marvel's comics are doing to my favourite characters without rebooting their continuity. That says a lot about Marvel's current comic quality IMO.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@eyedcyou said:

This for me plus the factor that even after the continuity butchering New 52, I still like more of DC's comics than what Marvel's comics are doing to my favourite characters without rebooting their continuity. That says a lot about Marvel's current comic quality IMO.

I agree with the entirety of this but for one thing. Hawkeye is one of the greatest comics out right now. I said it.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because all my favorite writers and artists do their best work at DC, and DC has BatmanINSTANTWIN

TyrantComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TyrantComics

@scouterv said:

@tyrantcomics: Even if Superman could have done that, there was no other way this fight was going to end. Zod wasn't going to go quietly to jail and there's nowhere he could be held without putting people in danger. Zod was going to glass the entire planet if he wasn't stopped. Superman was put in an impossible situation and made an impossible choice, and now he has to live with that. It's something that will guide him forever, and change the way he thinks about his powers and his responsibility. Character development.

right because no way, that superman could have not killed zod. right?

http://io9.com/why-letting-superman-kill-kills-superman-1440140313

As to Superman’s other options in the Zod situation: 1) Cover Zod’s eyes with his hand. 2) Fly up with Zod. 3) Lean back so that Zod would be forced to look up. 4) Poke Zod in his eyes. 5) Use his heat vision on Zod’s head until he stopped. I could go on.

Loading Video...

lol

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrantcomics: He covers his eyes, and then what? You're missing the point in that somehow this fight had to end. Zod isn't going to jail, there's no Phantom Zone projector, he's not going to leave peacefully.

As for your video, Jor-El probably saw nothing wrong with killing a criminal for the greater good. Why would he care if Superman killed Zod. The guy was on a murderous, rage-fueled rampage that would have only been stopped after the planet was destroyed.

I highly doubt covering his eyes would change that. Especially since, I think Kryptonians can be hurt by another ones' Heat Vision anyway.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrantcomics:

1. May have burned his hands severely, causing him to be crippled for the rest of the fight. Would not have ended the fight with Zod.

2. Would not have ended the fight with Zod.

3. Would not have ended the fight with Zod.

4. May have burned his hands severely, causing him to be crippled for the rest of the fight. Would not have ended the fight with Zod. Also, gouging out Zod's eyes would be a LOT more violent and gory.

5. ... Burning a hole in Zod's head would have killed him too.

Nice comedy video. There's one for Avengers too.

Loading Video...

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@eyedcyou said:

Especially Wonder Woman IMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.